post #1 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Bike weight limit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
If it's too heavy to perform a "self rescue" then you have the wrong tool. This holds true for every sport: skiing, hiking, cycling and motorbiking.

Very glad you didn't get hurt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
I was waiting for that particular bit of constructive criticism.
I agree with you to some extent. Surely I am not the only one riding a bike I can't lift.
Quote:
That's for sure. If you can't lift it chances are you can't operate it safely under duress. Select the right bike for you, not just to drool over the spec sheet. I use to have a 700lb rocket and after I lifted it once realized I needed a smaller bike.

Just wondering how many feel that a bike heavier than you can pick up is to heavy to drive safely?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Among other reasons, what would happen if you wrecked it and were pinned inderneath it. Are you just going to lay there until someone has mercy for you and pulls you out from underneath?

.. bad idea. If you can't pick it up, you shouldn't be riding it.

post #3 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

AJ, You have my vote.

Several times I survived near misses on the 9r, that I'm SURE would have toasted me on the 700lb rocket. I also saved a high speed turning blowout on a 600 that would have cleaned me out on a much heavier bike.

post #4 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post
Among other reasons, what would happen if you wrecked it and were pinned inderneath it. Are you just going to lay there until someone has mercy for you and pulls you out from underneath?

.. bad idea. If you can't pick it up, you shouldn't be riding it.
if your pinned under it I wouldn't think you would have much leverage to pick it off of you even if you were not hurt, but i guess it all depends on the situation.

post #5 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Two Wheeled Warlord

It's all about physics, and not muscles. Rolling a big bike back up onto it's wheels by using your legs and facing outward, just like a weightlifter doing a squat.

post #6 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 09:26 AM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I agree to an extent. Some bikes are just way too heavy. The Rocket is a good example. But I think in Kristen's case, it was just an issue of her not mastering the technique. Even if she got a 599, as was suggested, the 599 isn't that much lighter. At 400-something lbs, the 919 is not that heavy at all. The trick is to push the bike up, using the tires as a pivot point. She said she got it partially up, but could not get it up any further. At that point, she should have used the momentum from the initial thrust to push the bike against the tires,and not try to "lift" up its weight. Hard to explain, but once you get it, you'll be surprised how much easier (well, better to say "less difficult") it is to pick up even a 700 lb+ cruiser. The trick is to control it once you get the bike upright again.

post #7 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 09:28 AM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
It's all about physics, and not muscles. Rolling a big bike back up onto it's wheels by using your legs and facing outward, just like a weightlifter doing a squat.
Exactly.

post #8 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

anyone got a bike i can practice on so i'm ready for when it happens

post #9 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

This is why I ride nothing bigger than a Puch moped. I'm weak as sin.

post #10 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 02:19 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
But I think in Kristen's case, it was just an issue of her not mastering the technique. .
You are correct. I will practice (somehow).

If bike weight is that big of an issue, there are plenty of women and "weaker" men, who will not be riding.

post #11 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 02:20 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post

You can borrow my Sherpa.

post #12 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Its good to use random HDs outside taverns, never knock down more than you can lift, be ready for cardio training directly afterwards.

post #13 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
You can borrow my Sherpa.
and how bout an test ride?? JK

reckon that will make xrmikey jealous

oh and my wife said she has a what outside??

post #14 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisco919 View Post
Its good to use random HDs outside taverns, never knock down more than you can lift, be ready for cardio training directly afterwards.

post #15 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

As a kid I was pinned by a tipped over dirt tri-wheel while gas spilled on me for a eternity before being rescued. I was lucky not to burned by its smoldering exhaust pipe....but that could happen on a road bike. When falling push away from your bike to distance yourself.

post #16 of 35 Old 08-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Brain stolen again?

Because a bike is too heavy for a person to pick up is no excuse for that person not to ride the bike. If dream's logic prevailed, we would all be riding 250's. I've seen many a competant woman astride a large bike I know they can't lift. If anyone ever chastised them for biting off more than they could chew, I'd help the woman tell them to go fuk themselves. Because a 60 year old guy drops his Aspencade, does he deserve browbeating for having chose a bike 'too heavy' for him? Shiit no!!!!!! Grab a chunk of reality and never let that stupid thought reside between your ears again, dream.

There is hope for you, if you can manage never to procreate(just kidding(about the 'hope' part only!!!!))

的 said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #17 of 35 Old 08-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
Because a bike is too heavy for a person to pick up is no excuse for that person not to ride the bike. If dream's logic prevailed, we would all be riding 250's. I've seen many a competant woman astride a large bike I know they can't lift. If anyone ever chastised them for biting off more than they could chew, I'd help the woman tell them to go fuk themselves. Because a 60 year old guy drops his Aspencade, does he deserve browbeating for having chose a bike 'too heavy' for him? Shiit no!!!!!! Grab a chunk of reality and never let that stupid thought reside between your ears again, dream.

There is hope for you, if you can manage never to procreate(just kidding(about the 'hope' part only!!!!))
I don't know about you folks but up here part of the motorcycle test is tossing your ride up on your shoulders Fireman's Carry style and sprinting 100 meters. True story.

post #18 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 03:30 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
+2

I've seen small women right a Goldwing with the right technique. Seems to me that education is the key here, not the weight of the bike,

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #19 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Brain stolen again?

Truthfully I have a fooked up back and it is hard for me to pick up my KLR let alone my fully loaded 10R. If it gets really bad and I get senile, I guess I can always throw lites and a plate on the CRF50.

I'm gonna save someone the effort here:

"What do you mean if you get senile, Dave?"

Mathew Quigley
post #20 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Quote:
Truthfully I have a fooked up back and it is hard for me to pick up my KLR let alone my fully loaded 10R. If it gets really bad and I get senile, I guess I can always throw lites and a plate on the CRF50.

I'm gonna save someone the effort here:

"What do you mean if you get senile, Dave?"
Try the backwards way, you're using your legs, and since you're facing the other way you can't use your back. If you're really human wreckage this may not work, but for the average beat up a bit fellow it's fine.

post #21 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:

You have a major character flaw in how often you stoop to personal attacks. Get over it and work to be positive.

post #22 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
You have a major character flaw in how often you stoop to personal attacks. Get over it and work to be positive.

+1

post #23 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Brain stolen again?

I quote you: "Originally Posted by dream247919
If it's too heavy to perform a "self rescue" then you have the wrong tool. This holds true for every sport: skiing, hiking, cycling and motorbiking.

You alienated about 20% of the riding public with your conclusion. I alienated you.
I bet you get over it. It was supposed to be pretty satirical. That's why I put the little heads fighting

You got your point across about my 'sense' of humor. But I truly hope you do not continue down the road feeling small of stature people should not be riding big tourers/cruisers and the like.

Oh, and I think async is your groupie.

Mathew Quigley
post #24 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I quote you: "Originally Posted by dream247919

You alienated about 20% of the riding public with your conclusion. I alienated you.
I bet you get over it. It was supposed to be pretty satirical. That's why I put the little heads fighting

You got your point across about my 'sense' of humor. But I truly hope you do not continue down the road feeling small of stature people should not be riding big tourers/cruisers and the like.

Oh, and I think async is your groupie.
Your sarcasm sometimes bites too deep. Then your very good point gets muddled in a quagmire of negativity. So please focus on the meat of your posts.

I didn't intend to alienate anyone. My point is a Dealer Salesperson will sell you ANYTHING for their commision check, so it's YOUR responsibility to know your bike size limits to safely handle it. It's better to arrive a little slower, but safely. I downsized my lead sled and fell in love with motos again. Too many folks buy too much bike, have an accident and leave the sport.

I'm not worried about Async. I appreciate his sharing the Queen's English in his posts. I dream that all Americans could express themselves so clearly.

post #25 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 10:31 AM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Bigdaa, you're such a putz. Knock it off and get with the program.

Hmmmm... Sorry, I forgot you collect firearms. You are nicest, kindest, gentlest, and most caring-sharing person I know.

post #26 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
Bigdaa, you're such a putz. Knock it off and get with the program.

Hmmmm... Sorry, I forgot you collect firearms. You are nicest, kindest, gentlest, and most caring-sharing person I know.
And to PETA, I'm a murderer!!!!!!!

remember that ugly skunk incident?

Mathew Quigley
post #27 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Your sarcasm sometimes bites too deep. Then your very good point gets muddled in a quagmire of negativity. So please focus on the meat of your posts.

I didn't intend to alienate anyone. My point is a Dealer Salesperson will sell you ANYTHING for their commision check, so it's YOUR responsibility to know your bike size limits to safely handle it. It's better to arrive a little slower, but safely. I downsized my lead sled and fell in love with motos again. Too many folks buy too much bike, have an accident and leave the sport.

I'm not worried about Async. I appreciate his sharing the Queen's English in his posts. I dream that all Americans could express themselves so clearly.
Until the American Government, and the states adopt a tiered licensing structure for motorcycle ownership, this will not happen. America is the land of "too much is never enough". If a person wants to ride a 1000cc superbike after having their license for 2 days, they have the freedom to do so. I am a personal believer in tiered licensing, but sadly I am in a minority, and the future looks bleak.

post #28 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 10:46 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Until the American Government, and the states adopt a tiered licensing structure for motorcycle ownership, this will not happen. America is the land of "too much is never enough". If a person wants to ride a 1000cc superbike after having their license for 2 days, they have the freedom to do so. I am a personal believer in tiered licensing, but sadly I am in a minority, and the future looks bleak.
A license? What's that. In Mass. all you need is a Learner's Permit.

post #29 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
+1 I'm all for tiered licensing! Fewer folks would then get hurt and therefor increase public support. The resulting safer stats would lower our group's insurance rates, and higher volumes means more R&D $ resulting in better bikes and gear.

post #30 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Two Wheeled Warlord

I might be getting a bit old but I seem to recall laying the bike down on it's side, and then picking it up as part of the practical test.

post #31 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Brain stolen again?

The subject has completely shifted direction here. It was not a subject of competency, it was a subject of physical strength. The argument that a person should not choose a motorcycle because they cannot lift it is ludicrous. People do not plan on dropping their ride. They shouldn't be required to put on a little muscle becaus the bike they love weighs 625 lbs.

The issue of competency seemed to arrive somewhere in mid stream here and was underscored with accusation of greed towards some unscrupulous dealers and merits it's own thread, don ya tink?

Mathew Quigley
post #32 of 35 Old 08-14-2007, 11:50 AM

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

My R* weighs 720lbs (she lost some weight with the pipe swap).

My FZ1 weighed 500lbs.

I weigh 190lbs.

My dog weighs 77lbs.

My three cats collectively weigh about 27lbs.

I think my head weighs almost 10lbs.

That is all.

post #33 of 35 Old 12-10-2007, 09:21 PM
My Bad

Quote:
if your pinned under it I wouldn't think you would have much leverage to pick it off of you even if you were not hurt, but i guess it all depends on the situation.
I think a lot of what is being said in this thread is considering ideal conditions... ie. pavement, healthy, proper lifting technique etc. I agree with Bigdaa here, if you can't lift your bike and you aren't under it, big deal. Let it sit there until someone comes that can help you pick it up. My dad rides a Goldwing and although he can pick it up in ideal conditions, it took a car full of friendly college students (half in the bag) to pull it off a gravel shoulder.

I also agree with AJ and think if any of us were under any of the bikes we own with an injury, broken bone, whatever, I would bet very few could push it up to get out from under it... but again, situation dependant.

What about ATVs? Can dudes lift those? Golf carts? Lots of examples of heavy stuff we operate that we can't lift. Just gotta be careful how you operate it and don't end up under it!

post #34 of 35 Old 12-11-2007, 01:25 AM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Don't they do that in Japan? I know in Germany that they do that with cars. Some punk kid isn't allowed to just jump on the autobahn with his dad's 911 Turbo.

2 > 4
post #35 of 35 Old 12-11-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaStreetfigh View Post
Some punk kid isn't allowed to just jump on the autobahn with his dad's 911 Turbo.
What about non-punk kids?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode