Bad habits? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 93 Old 02-15-2012, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Bad habits?

Bad habits?
What are some of your riding bad habits and are you doing anything to try and break em?

For example, one of my bad habits was rolling my foot over the edge of the footpeg. Damn toe sliders got worn down just about every race. I tried to adjust my feet and keep my toes tucked in but for some reason they kept creeping out over the edge of the peg....

Misti

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 02-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I have toe kicked the ground more than a few times on the right side. This has more to do with my knee and ankle being out of alignment (it hurts to actually pull my toes in straight under my knee).

This is also the reason I can't corner as hard to the right as I can to the left. Too many close calls with that foot (some of them hurt!) and I have to strive to be conscious of where I place said foot before entering a corner I want to take fast.

I also tend to coast into a corner, I need to learn to brake smoother and get on the gas right after the brake, instead of coasting to the apex and then hitting the gas. Again, maybe the above scenario has scared me too much.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
2007 Honda CB900F (click for pics -sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 93 Old 02-15-2012, 02:53 PM
no max no more

going to fast

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane

post #4 of 93 Old 02-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

1) Forgetting to cancel my turn signals. I've gotten much better but still catch myself once in a while.

2) When passing on a 2 lane road, not checking over my shoulder to make sure someone behind me isn't making a move first.

post #5 of 93 Old 02-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
1) Forgetting to cancel my turn signals. I've gotten much better but still catch myself once in a while.

2) When passing on a 2 lane road, not checking over my shoulder to make sure someone behind me isn't making a move first.
I'm am one of the few that does not have that problem very often of forgetting to cancel my turn signals. I have a habit of pressing the "cancel button" quite a bit while I'm riding, I guess its something for me to fiddle with lol.

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #6 of 93 Old 02-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Ginger-prick

Speeding, but I'm not doing anything to correct that.
One bad habit, is not keeping track of what gear I'm in. So I'll be going 90 down the highway and I'll pull in the clutch to check if I have another gear to go. I'll do this all the time.
I've considered buying one of those little guages that show what gear you're in.

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.
post #7 of 93 Old 02-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
1) Forgetting to cancel my turn signals.
Yeah, me too, same same same.

I once test-rode a PC800 Robocop bike, which had self-cancelling turn signals - anyone know the technology behind that?

I'm wondering if it could be a retro-fit.

post #8 of 93 Old 02-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Ginger-prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy

Yeah, me too, same same same.

I once test-rode a PC800 Robocop bike, which had self-cancelling turn signals - anyone know the technology behind that?

I'm wondering if it could be a retro-fit.
My brothers Harley had those.
It simply turns off the signal when a sensor recognizes the bike is level after leaning for a turn.

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.
post #9 of 93 Old 02-15-2012, 04:51 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

yelling at the asshat drivers in this state as if they could hear my rantings,lol

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #10 of 93 Old 02-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Needs training wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatDirtFartDust View Post
Speeding, but I'm not doing anything to correct that.
One bad habit, is not keeping track of what gear I'm in. So I'll be going 90 down the highway and I'll pull in the clutch to check if I have another gear to go. I'll do this all the time.
I've considered buying one of those little guages that show what gear you're in.
I do this shit ALL the time. I only forget the signal when turning into parking lots, because I'm paying way more attention to other people. Parking lots are where people pay the least attention.

My WORST habit is passing passing people on the right shoulder... But when they're making a Polish road block, what else am I supposed to do?!?!

post #11 of 93 Old 02-15-2012, 05:18 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
+2,

Didn't think about it 'til now, but I think I'll try putting a tape marker at 4300RPM and 70MPH, which will indicate I'm in 6th already. I'll still look for 7th when I'm getting on it but while I'm cruising, I'll know what gear I'm at with a glance.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #12 of 93 Old 02-15-2012, 05:38 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
yelling at the asshat drivers in this state as if they could hear my rantings,lol
+1!!

post #13 of 93 Old 02-15-2012, 05:40 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Kissan makes a turn signal canceling device.

https://www.kisantech.com/

post #14 of 93 Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Kissan makes a turn signal canceling device.

https://www.kisantech.com/
That's interesting - anyone know of anyone with xperience of one of these? Nice idea.

post #15 of 93 Old 02-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Pilus Posterior

Speeding.

post #16 of 93 Old 02-15-2012, 11:12 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
+2,

Didn't think about it 'til now, but I think I'll try putting a tape marker at 4300RPM and 70MPH, which will indicate I'm in 6th already. I'll still look for 7th when I'm getting on it but while I'm cruising, I'll know what gear I'm at with a glance.
Quote:
Quote:
lol you hearing people crack me up... figuring out what gear you're in by simply looking at the speed vs rpm is not difficult to do. learn your bike! pay attention to how it feels and responses to throttle input at a given speed vs rpm. hell, listen to it if you have to it may take some practice but can be acquired quickly. use your eyes! you have them for a reason

same goes for turn signals. glancing down to check your signal indicator is not difficult to do either. ya know, its that flashing light right there at the bottom in the peripheral vision of the left eye if u indicate to go left, or right eye if u indicate to go right. if you have to, train it into your muscle memory to hit the cancel button after each time you take a turn. doesn't hurt to hit the cancel button if the signal indication isn't in use.

i laugh because being Deaf, i notice these small things all the time and people truly do not realize how much more they could use their eyes because they're too busy hearing but not "listening" or "seeing".

post #17 of 93 Old 02-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Le So Cal Troll

1. trying for 7th ... do it all the time even tho i know im in sixth, i still try
2. not canceling turn signals... i have a moto license plate frame that has my nickname of blinky on it.... this was in the early days of street... since that i have started using turn signals less so this does not happen and being anal about hitting the cancel button... ill do it even if i know i didnt use the turn signals.

but honestly im not trying to break those... nothing bad there.

the bad ones.

1. wheelies.... i like doing em, i want to do em... i love the way the girls look when i do em... but they draw unneeded attention.
2. speeding.... its just so easy to cruise at 5-10 above the speedlimit.

post #18 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 04:32 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post

i laugh because being Deaf, i notice these small things all the time and people truly do not realize how much more they could use their eyes because they're too busy hearing but not "listening" or "seeing".
You're deaf? I didn't know that.

post #19 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
You've never heard him talk about it?

2003 Honda 919
post #20 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 06:11 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
it's Deaf to you mister mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover919 View Post
You've never heard him talk about it?
wait a minute, if i was Deaf, how would i be talking?

post #21 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 06:49 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
wait a minute, if i was Deaf, how would i be talking?
That is a really good question.

I just thought of this, what do you use to wake you up? I know I use an alarm clock, but that may not work not work for you.

2003 Honda 919
post #22 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover919 View Post
That is a really good question.

I just thought of this, what do you use to wake you up? I know I use an alarm clock, but that may not work not work for you.
well, why not? i use an alarm clock as well!! SHOCKING!!!

"but pvster, this cannot be possible because you cannot hear!" you proclaim... yeah, so? why is it assumed that one has to "hear" the alarm clock in the first place"an alarm clock can wake you up with another means besides "hearing" the damn thing. my alarm clock happens to have a lamp plugged into it. when it decides it's had enough of my beauty sleep and wants to be the first thing to demand things of me (such as getting out of bed in this case), it'll flash the lamp at a steady pulse.

it has the option of having another device plugged into it that would trigger the device via an electronic pulse and the result is that the device vibrates. it's been long since determined that the lamp was tortuous enough

post #23 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 17

Turn signals. Do it too, everyone does, including cagers. Don’t get me wrong, I think they are a good thing by letting everyone know what to expect from you but it also can be more dangerous if people assume you are turning right when you are actually going straight. Much more dangerous on the bike.
I had a moment when I was coming up to T intersection going straight on the main line when a car was at a stop sign waiting to make a left on the main. Person saw my right turn signal which I forgot to cancel and assumed I was making right on the street he was sitting at. Long story short he pulled out and I almost T-ed him. Can’t blame the cager, he saw my blinker, unfortunately.
Lessoned learned, ride under assumption that no one can see you. If no one can see you there is no reason to use your blinkers as they can’t see them too. I also don't trust anyone else using blinkers until I actually see them slow down and beginning to turn. How many times any of you followed a car/bike with their blinkers on for miles? People forget.

I still use blinkers however once in the while, when absolutely needed.

post #24 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 07:37 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
well, why not? i use an alarm clock as well!! SHOCKING!!!

"but pvster, this cannot be possible because you cannot hear!" you proclaim... yeah, so? why is it assumed that one has to "hear" the alarm clock in the first place"an alarm clock can wake you up with another means besides "hearing" the damn thing. my alarm clock happens to have a lamp plugged into it. when it decides it's had enough of my beauty sleep and wants to be the first thing to demand things of me (such as getting out of bed in this case), it'll flash the lamp at a steady pulse.

it has the option of having another device plugged into it that would trigger the device via an electronic pulse and the result is that the device vibrates. it's been long since determined that the lamp was tortuous enough
Very interesting, I figured you didn't use just the average alarm clock like many of us do. I think that your alarm clock would probably work really great at getting me up and out of bed.

2003 Honda 919
post #25 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
Lessoned learned, ride under assumption that no one can see you. If no one can see you there is no reason to use your blinkers as they can’t see them too. I also don't trust anyone else using blinkers until I actually see them slow down and beginning to turn. How many times any of you followed a car/bike with their blinkers on for miles? People forget.
should this have the opposite effect? i.e. you would try and make yourself MORE visible via said assumption? what people dont understand about turn signals is that it is not a declared intent. it is communicating a potential intent until it actually happens. once it is actually happening, the signal loses all contextual meaning and purpose. it is simply a communication tool that some people take too literally.

it should be viewed in the relevant context the signal is being used in. for example, you can tell the person forgot to turn off their signal if they're driving for a mile or longer on the freeway without any attempt made to change lanes, slow down, or exit the freeway. because of the context, the meaning of the signal is non-existent in that specific moment in that specific situation. when you see a signal, you cannot make an assessment solely on the meaning of the signal, you have to look and see if there are signs of braking, attempting to turn (look at the wheels), nearby places that the person could potentially turn into, etc etc.

in other words, use your fucking signals! make yourself more visible in every possible way, but still assume they cant see you. because you assume they cant see you, u need to try and communicate your intent as clearly as possible. if a person doesn't understand your intent when you attempted to communicate it, that's your fault not theirs. its your responsibility to communicate what YOU mean, what YOU intend. however, if the person understood your communication and disregarded them, that's on them.

in summary, you have eyes, USE THEM! dont make such quick and blind-judgments based on minimal observation (if any at all). want to test yourself? count how many passes you see in this video to ensure you're actually using your eyes.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJv3Q...eature=related

post #26 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 09:07 AM
`

Awards Showcase

Don't get me wrong. I WANT to be visible. But people get false sense of security by assuming that they are visible if the got orange vest or bright helmet.
What I'm trying to say: Make yourself visible but don't assume that you actually are.

post #27 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 09:10 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I WANT to be visible. But people get false sense of security by assuming that they are visible if the got orange vest or bright helmet.
What I'm trying to say: Make yourself visible but don't assume that you actually are.
which is exactly what i'm saying. in other words, by not using your turn signals, you're NOT making yourself more (potentially) visible...

post #28 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 09:11 AM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
its your responsibility to communicate what YOU mean, what YOU intend. however, if the person understood your communication and disregarded them, that's on them.

The problem/bad habit everyone stated, we forget. Once you forget "what YOU mean, what YOU intend" is out of the window.

post #29 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
The problem/bad habit everyone stated, we forget. Once you forget "what YOU mean, what YOU intend" is out of the window.
that wasn't your point, that was mine

you said
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123
If no one can see you there is no reason to use your blinkers as they can’t see them too.
here i am refuting your poor use of logic to excuse yourself from using turn signals as a preventative measure so u dont forget to cancel your signals.

go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200, and have a nice day

post #30 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 AM
`

Awards Showcase

Pvster, you don't include people factor in your perfect logic. Where I live, your turn signal meant to others "This guy is trying to merge, turn, change lane. DO NOT let this guy do whatever he is trying to do".

You will never be able to change lanes using turn signal in this state, cagers see that signal of yours and just close the gap.

post #31 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Pvster, you don't include people factor in your perfect logic. Where I live, your turn signal meant to others "This guy is trying to merge, turn, change lane. DO NOT let this guy do whatever he is trying to do".

You will never be able to change lanes using turn signal in this state, cagers see that signal of yours and the just close the gap.
Time to move, lol....

2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
YouTube Channel
post #32 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
actually, yeah i did... see the following section:
Quote:
however, if the person understood your communication and disregarded them, that's on them.
oh, and i never said ANYTHING about my "logic" being perfect, just merely pointing out the fallacies in yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123
You will never be able to change lanes using turn signal in this state, cagers see that signal of yours and just close the gap.
people do this here unmercifully as well and i still change lanes all the time. note that i didn't say anything about giving them time to disregard your communication and be an asshole towards you you ARE on a bike after all... it would appear to me you have the advantage in those kinds of situations.

not sure what the problem is or why you're getting defensive.

post #33 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 AM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
actually, yeah i did... see the following section:

oh, and i never said ANYTHING about my "logic" being perfect, just merely pointing out the fallacies in yours

people do this here unmercifully as well and i still change lanes all the time. note that i didn't say anything about giving them time to disregard your communication and be an asshole towards you you ARE on a bike after all... it would appear to me you have the advantage in those kinds of situations.

not sure what the problem is or why you're getting defensive.

this is the problem talking on the internet, I'm not defencive at all lol, just general BSing

post #34 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 AM
The Cripple

indeed! want me to point out the fallacy of your statement to continue the general b.sing?

post #35 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 12:48 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
indeed! want me to point out the fallacy of your statement to continue the general b.sing?
if you wish, go for it. I just feel bad taking over this post with all this BS.

PS. as far as that video goes. Pvster, you have way to much time on your hands.

post #36 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 12:53 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Time to move, lol....
haha. Idaho here I come!!

on the serious note, if you noticed I didn't complain about it, just stating the fact. I actually don't mind it anymore as it makes things so much more predictable

post #37 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Ok, here's MY mentality:

1. I signal for those FEW riders that actually notice AND for the fact that if someone DOES hit me, I might have the video or witnesses to prove that "Yes, that guy on that sweet red 919 did IN FACT signal, and that Blue Hair did in fact run him over and his poor bike - she needs to replace him and his bike".

2. I fully EXPECT no one to see my signal.

3. I ride every corner and lane change LIKE I FORGOT TO CANCEL my signals (although I usually go thumb crazy and cancel often).

4. I fully EXPECT cagers to NOT see that I did NOT cancel my signal and to also SEE when I FORGOT to cancel my signals and to suddenly get BLUE HAIR and pull out in front me, cancelling my signals for me in a most brutal fashion.

5. I FULLY expect PVSTER to rip me apart because I used CAPS in this post. Wait a minute, he's Deaf, he can't hear me yell anyway.

nm, carry on.

2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
YouTube Channel
post #38 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 02:22 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Pvster does seem to be edgy lately. Googl3it, easy with those blue hair references , stop picking on Pvster. So what he can't speak?

post #39 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
YouTube Channel
post #40 of 93 Old 02-16-2012, 04:11 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode