ATGATT Discount! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 09-10-2009, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

ATGATT Discount!

It was time to renew and I am so frothing mad seeing many unprotected idiots in tshirt/shorts/tennis-shoes/partial-helmets/bare-hands (including CHPs!) that increase my rates! So I demanded they give me the "full safety gear discount", and clarified if I get in an accident without gear they can pre-cancel and he's sending me a rebate check! WooHoo!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-10-2009, 06:31 AM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Hopefully what they consider full safety gear is clearly defined? Insurance companies can be tricky: "Yes, you were wearing a helmet with a face shield, but we don't consider that eye protection. Sorry, can't process your claim."

post #3 of 11 Old 09-10-2009, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedeGopher View Post
Hopefully what they consider full safety gear is clearly defined? Insurance companies can be tricky: "Yes, you were wearing a helmet with a face shield, but we don't consider that eye protection. Sorry, can't process your claim."
Great point, the bike industry needs to mature and establish a full safety gear standard. If insurance was a premium for idiots, folks would smarten up.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Hmmm, and who are you insured with that you were able to procure an ATGATT discount?

post #5 of 11 Old 09-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Legalize it please?

And how much was said discount?

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
post #6 of 11 Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Hmmm, and who are you insured with that you were able to procure an ATGATT discount?
Through my shrewed negotiation the MGR is escalating my policy change request to their higher ups. I can't spill the beans while the gears of progress turn. But I encourage everyone to call their agent and grieve them for an attaboy...report back if you are as successful!

BigM, My agent implied they would send a C-note!

post #7 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 04:12 AM

ATGOSTC

The Transport Accident Commission, which deals with injuries from motor vehicle accidents here in Australia, are thinking of changing their compensation structure for dickheads who fall off motorcycles without proper protection. They are saying, even if the cause of the crash wasn't your fault, if you weren't wearing a lid, gloves, protective jacket and pants with padded armour, and fall off and sustain an injury because of lack of protection, then you are partly at fault, and that will affect how much compensation you can claim.

So, ATGATT.

YouTube - TAC - Motorcycle (Australia)

post #8 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 05:50 AM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pist-N-Broke View Post
The Transport Accident Commission, which deals with injuries from motor vehicle accidents here in Australia, are thinking of changing their compensation structure for dickheads who fall off motorcycles without proper protection. They are saying, even if the cause of the crash wasn't your fault, if you weren't wearing a lid, gloves, protective jacket and pants with padded armour, and fall off and sustain an injury because of lack of protection, then you are partly at fault, and that will affect how much compensation you can claim.

So, ATGATT.

I guess that would be like the seat belts in a car then. If you get in an accident and you weren't wearing it, no pay? I mean, you don't even have to carry the seat belt out to the car, it's already bolted in (unless you have an old car, which here in the states means you don't have to wear the seat belt, since it doesn't have one).

post #9 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pist-N-Broke View Post

So, ATGATT.

Thank you for that point! Aussies are very smart and that proposal encourages positive behavior!

adamjayp, Thanks for the great analogy. There should be legal code equivalence between seatbelts and ATGATT.

Riders not being ATGATT are mostly responsible for mutilating themselves, and I refuse to financially sponsor idiots.

Our gear safety/comfort would improve dramatically if everyone wore it and there was an industry embraced standard. Hopefully soon...

post #10 of 11 Old 09-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Street Triple

Actually, MC ins. involves a bit of smoke and mirrors when comes to rates and claims. First, I do not claim to be an expert on ins. of any type. This is just my understanding of what I have picked up along the way.

Many, read most, insurers do NOT pay f/ your injuries or medical expenses. They expect you to go to your work, or other, medical insurer f/ payment of your injuries. If you are in an accident deemed to not be your fault, your bills are expected to be paid by the at-fault party's ins. If they are under-insured, you may have coverage on your policy to handle that, but only if you are paying extra f/ it.

Otherwise, your ins. pays f/ damage you do to others and their property (liability), your bike damages (only if you have collision), medical bills f/ your passenger (only if you are paying extra f/ that), other non-collision damages to your bike like hail, or in many states a deer strike, under comprehensive (only if you are paying f/ that), etc.

SO...despite what your MC ins. provider would love you to believe, in most cases mostly they pay nothing to cover medical to YOU if YOU are injured.

And most MC incidents do not cause injury to cagers. Now do some digging about your policy and then draw your own conclusions about the high cost of MC ins rates and act accordingly. AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MEDICAL ELSEWHERE TO COVER YOUR INJURIES.

d'Artagnan
Triumph f/ All and All f/ Triumph
post #11 of 11 Old 09-20-2009, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dArtagnan View Post
Actually, MC ins. involves a bit of smoke and mirrors when comes to rates and claims. First, I do not claim to be an expert on ins. of any type. This is just my understanding of what I have picked up along the way.

Many, read most, insurers do NOT pay f/ your injuries or medical expenses. They expect you to go to your work, or other, medical insurer f/ payment of your injuries. If you are in an accident deemed to not be your fault, your bills are expected to be paid by the at-fault party's ins. If they are under-insured, you may have coverage on your policy to handle that, but only if you are paying extra f/ it.

Otherwise, your ins. pays f/ damage you do to others and their property (liability), your bike damages (only if you have collision), medical bills f/ your passenger (only if you are paying extra f/ that), other non-collision damages to your bike like hail, or in many states a deer strike, under comprehensive (only if you are paying f/ that), etc.

SO...despite what your MC ins. provider would love you to believe, in most cases mostly they pay nothing to cover medical to YOU if YOU are injured.

And most MC incidents do not cause injury to cagers. Now do some digging about your policy and then draw your own conclusions about the high cost of MC ins rates and act accordingly. AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MEDICAL ELSEWHERE TO COVER YOUR INJURIES.
Excellent points! Legally insured ($30K) is a complete joke! A friend spent more that for one night observation after a bicycle fall (no surgery!). Thus most cagers are "uninsured", so you must carry enough to repair you and your ATGATT passenger!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode