Almost backed out of a driveway in front of me - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Almost backed out of a driveway in front of me

On my way to work this morning, coming through a 45 zone in traffic and I can see a women trying to back out of her driveway ahead. The car in front of me passed behind her, and I was watching her rear wheels (as I read in Proficient Motorcycling, because the "wheels move twice as fast as the bumper") and she started to back up having no idea I was about 3 seconds behind the previous car.

Had time to blast my horn and swerve left, she slammed on brakes and had the most dumbfounded look on her face.

Not really too close of a call but figured I would post just to put it in peoples minds if your riding today. Stay safe.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Just on Friday, I watched a girl come up on slower traffic (knowing she was going to want to get in my lane) flip her blinker on at the same time she started swerving into me.

I already saw this coming, so a LONG blast of my Stebel horn and she swerved so violently back into her lane she hit the curb on the other side!!!!

The look on her face was priceless!!!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
2007 Honda CB900F (click for pics -sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Tesserarius

Garage
Let me guess...she was driving an SUV?

Diecut Vinyl Wrist Twisters Decals: http://mkt.com/toasttogo

post #4 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Let me guess...she was driving an SUV?
bingo, a chevy tahoe i believe.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #5 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Tesserarius

Garage
Hahaha. I have had many encounters with Tahoes.

Diecut Vinyl Wrist Twisters Decals: http://mkt.com/toasttogo
post #6 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 10:49 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Just on Friday, I watched a girl come up on slower traffic (knowing she was going to want to get in my lane) flip her blinker on at the same time she started swerving into me.

I already saw this coming, so a LONG blast of my Stebel horn and she swerved so violently back into her lane she hit the curb on the other side!!!!

The look on her face was priceless!!!
I love it!! I need a Stebel!!

post #7 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
I love it!! I need a Stebel!!

Yeah I have been thinking about one of these as well. How big are they, are they really obvious on the bike?

-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #8 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 11:25 AM
MSF blacksheep

my ixil hyperlow at 10k does a pretty good job of scaring cagers

post #9 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee View Post
Yeah I have been thinking about one of these as well. How big are they, are they really obvious on the bike?
I installed mine right under my right frame slider, but yes, it's noticeable. However, if you search around, a few others (Boogoonun is one, I believe) actually split the horn and compressor. Mounted the horn under the headers, and compressor under the seat and just ran a tube between the two. Pretty much hides everything! I plan on doing that this winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
my ixil hyperlow at 10k does a pretty good job of scaring cagers
Yeah, that doesn't work so well in a pinch though, if you're only going 30mph, lol. My Scorpion ain't so quiet, either.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
2007 Honda CB900F (click for pics -sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #10 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 11:49 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Heck, i havent needed to toot my horn in months! I find that shifting from one side if the lane to the other (creating lateral motion), plus either braking or acceleration, and more rarely an avoidance maneuver or swerve take care of things without resorting to my horn...id rather spend those precious moments doing something more active than hoping they will hear me!

The important thing is keeping your situational awareness up so you can spot potential trouble before it becomes a problem...it sounds like you're doing pretty well with that BDG!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #11 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 01:00 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

Watching for wheel (tire) movement is a good tip.
Just because you make eye contact with a driver doesn't mean they really see you.

post #12 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

BDG, Nice job on looking ahead and recognizing hazards, I do the same thing of watching wheels for movement and I am sure I got the tip from another WT thread. Thanks for posting this as a good reminder to us all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post

Yeah, that doesn't work so well in a pinch though, if you're only going 30mph, lol. My Scorpion ain't so quiet, either.
A few weeks ago, I was out for a Sunday ride on a 2 lane road and came upon a big line of traffic coming from the other direction that was stopped because a dog found something interesting in the middle of their lane. I slowed to a crawl and just as I got close I pulled in the clutch and revved the hell out of the Scorpion...the dog about shit himself and ran out of the road....I got a big thumbs up and smile from the pickup driver at the front of the line.

post #13 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 02:26 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Stebels RULE! They work great on anything from squirrels to tahoes.

post #14 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Cornicen

Was she also talking on a cellular phone? Sheesh...

post #15 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Immune

" find that shifting from one side if the lane to the other (creating lateral motion), plus either braking or acceleration, and more rarely an avoidance maneuver or swerve take care of things without resorting to my horn...id rather spend those precious moments doing something more active than hoping they will hear me!"

This pretty much sums up they way I handle things also. Hitting the horn isn't a habit or reflexive for me, so I dont normally find it withough pausing to think. Often I feel like I'm doing everyone a diservice by not hitting the horn though. These idiots (often in Tahoes!) drive about like idiots, and usually they have no idea that they have done something stupid... I just quietly move out of danger... I wish hitting the horn was reflexive for me, but I guess if there is something on the bike that I suck at, that's one of the better choices...

post #16 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 04:51 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Always brakes and maneuvering first, then horn if I remember, it's usually after I've passed the idiot.

post #17 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocomomark View Post
" find that shifting from one side if the lane to the other (creating lateral motion), plus either braking or acceleration, and more rarely an avoidance maneuver or swerve take care of things without resorting to my horn...id rather spend those precious moments doing something more active than hoping they will hear me!"

This pretty much sums up they way I handle things also. Hitting the horn isn't a habit or reflexive for me, so I dont normally find it withough pausing to think. Often I feel like I'm doing everyone a diservice by not hitting the horn though. These idiots (often in Tahoes!) drive about like idiots, and usually they have no idea that they have done something stupid... I just quietly move out of danger... I wish hitting the horn was reflexive for me, but I guess if there is something on the bike that I suck at, that's one of the better choices...
I think you guys are right that manuevering/braking should come first. I have found myself seeing situations and covering the horn with my finger as I'm preparing to brake or manuever. For instance if I'm passing a line of cars in the right lane on the hwy I have my finger over the horn button ready to alert them if they try to change lanes on me. Same if I see someone preparing to turn left in front of me. I feel like it's pretty easy to prepare to hit the horn, and most of the time people will immediately stop if they hear it. It's just me being paranoid as a new rider, but it makes me feel better.

-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode