AGATT - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
ajg
Twisties only please.

AGATT

Went for a ride last Thursday night after work and all was well until I came midway through a left hand corner. Nothing but sand all the way across the road. I am guessing that someone had taken a load of sand out of the adjacent driveway in a pickup and spilled it all over the road as they pulled away. Anyways, I low-sided on the left side of the bike going about 30 mph. The bike slid off the road and I continued sliding on the road until I stopped about 25 feet away.

That feeling of going down is pretty frustrating as when I knew I was going down I was just like No!, No! No. Weird, that all I was thinking through the slide was, "I can't believe I just *ucked up my bike!"

I got up dusted myself off and walked back to the bike. I little stiff and with nothing more than a few bruises. I have to give thanks to my gear for doing its job but more to other members of this site for posting accounts of any accidents and encouraging AGATT.

The damage to the 919 isn't to bad. I was able to ride ride the 20 minutes back home and other than a gear pedal that might be a little out of whack, I think everything else is just cosmetic. I filed an insurance claim on Thursday night and will be dropping the bike off at a local shop to be fixed up this week. Pretty happy that all this spill is going to cost me is my deductible.

I just wanted to post the details of my spill and encourage everyone to always wear their gear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Sorry to hear about your spill but thanks to ATGATT on your part your writting about it today with just a few scuffs. The bike can always be fixed / replaced.

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #3 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

man... sorry bout the bike... but glad you arent hurt...

i will take sore over broken anyday...

post #4 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Yep, gear rocks! Glad you're okay.

And sand sucks. One of my bigger fears, along with animals. I hit a corner with sand at a pretty good clip one time. Did a really cool powerslide out of it, scared the **** out of me. I can deal with things I can see in a corner, it's the "invisible" stuff that bites.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Sorry about your accident, but glad you are ok! Your anecdote is why I avoid out riding my vision.

Great job on the AGATT PSA! Now with it warming up we need the reminder to wear gear.

post #6 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I'm glad my past helped your present LOL. Isn't it amazing, when the gear actually DOES what it's supposed to do? Take a second look at all your scuffs and you'll see it's in all the protected spots. I swear I don't know why more people don't wear it.
I am VERY glad you were and are ok?

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 08:41 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

sorry to hear about the bike, but glad your alright.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #8 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 08:55 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Just watched HOUSE and he'd apparently crashed his bike. Late in the show, he'd neglected some road rash and it got infected, had to be scrubbed.

*SUPER CRINGE*

Glad you're ok.

post #9 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 11:08 PM
919>food>beer

I saw that episode too... uggg, bad memories, cept I scrubbed my own w/ pain killers, just some booze. ( I did go get it checked out and got some antibiotics the next day)

After that I'll wear the full monkey suit no matter what, its just not worth the pain to not to.

post #10 of 11 Old 04-14-2009, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
ajg
Twisties only please.

Just thinking about having to scrub road rash makes me cringe. I am glad the only scrapes I have are from the friction of the impact between my body and the protected areas of the gear i.e; elbow, knee, shoulder.

Feeling great this morning and I am back in the gym today! Thanks for all the kind words.

post #11 of 11 Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Good to hear that you are ok. I totaled my first 919 in a corner with sand in it 5 years ago. Actually it was the truck that ran into while trying to save it. I should have just let it low-side.

Gear: never leave home without it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode