A timely read for us all ! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
What about the Creedence

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Thumbs up A timely read for us all !

Just saw this on Roadracingworld.com and though - how true ! Wiht the high fuel p[rices alot of folks who havent ridden in a while will be diggin thier old ride out and hitting the street. This article points out that we as riders who havent given in to the pulls and strains of life and continued to ride can help keep the newbie old riders safe - This is a great article and has some great points in it for all of us -

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=33028

" Any book is a childrens book , if the kid can read !"
Mitch Hedburg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 12:56 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I like that, thanks for posting!

post #3 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 01:08 PM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Good post - I'm wary of the fairweather riders thus far, but I haven't read of any accidents in the paper involving a motorcyclist, so hopefully they'll work out okay and learn to give the 'wave' (assuming they have learned proper control, that is).

I also like the idea of a recently restored retro machine being pawned off come monsoon season here. Excellent....

post #4 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

EWWWW!!!!!

Quote:
And be sure to let them know about the Aspergillus Fumigatus mold – the type that fills a shelved helmet after a few years in a dark closet.

Let me ask you a question; would you wear unwashed four-year-old underwear, on your head? Dude I’m sure that’s almost as gross as that funky helmet.

post #5 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

It is a good responsible thing to take the rusty riders under your wing. It's good for everybody in the long term. And a few simple words of instruction or a seemingly innocuous anecdote may in fact save a life.

Think about it that way. And then hook up with your buddy that's dusting off his old bike.......

post #6 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I have a local friend who is a well respected Honda mechanic. He has race teams ship him stuff from all over the USA, but to make a living he also does work locally. He has been absolutely covered up with local stuff that is vintage coming out of the woodwork. People are dusting off barn bikes and getting them running again. I like it. He's got a CB360 that he's working on right now that when freshened up will be a really nice bike.

The sad part is moto accidents are up around here. That's to be expected with more motorcycles, but some of those have been contributed to new/re-entry riders.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 07:20 PM
lusting over something...

my girlfriends dad crashed two days ago... hadn't been on a bike in 25 years... even after much trying to convince him to take a MSF refresher, he refused saying he knew how to ride... went from a KZ750 to a Vulcan 1600 nomad.... lost it in an easy corner (highsided a 800lb bike)... he was throwing his hips instead of counter-steering... broke his hand, his arm and a concussion... all could have been prevented...

I think dealerships should get together with rider training courses and offer steeply discounted course with the purchase of a new bike.

post #8 of 14 Old 06-27-2008, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
What about the Creedence

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_kraska View Post
I think dealerships should get together with rider training courses and offer steeply discounted course with the purchase of a new bike.

^^ The good ones do ! Or at least stongly encourge newbies/returning riders to take it .

" Any book is a childrens book , if the kid can read !"
Mitch Hedburg
post #9 of 14 Old 06-27-2008, 11:59 AM
lusting over something...

I guess I've never seen a subsidized course advertised to date in any dealership.. they all recommend it to new/returning riders, but I've never seen a buy a bike, get a free training class banner up in either QC, ON or AB.

post #10 of 14 Old 06-27-2008, 12:17 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

I didn't really think about it until reading this thread but I have certainly seen some ratty looking bikes on the road the last several weeks. And not just one or two, but a bunch of them.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Track whore

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

Quote:
my girlfriends dad crashed two days ago... hadn't been on a bike in 25 years... even after much trying to convince him to take a MSF refresher, he refused saying he knew how to ride... went from a KZ750 to a Vulcan 1600 nomad.... lost it in an easy corner (highsided a 800lb bike)... he was throwing his hips instead of counter-steering... broke his hand, his arm and a concussion... all could have been prevented...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
^^ The good ones do ! Or at least stongly encourge newbies/returning riders to take it .
Quote:
I guess I've never seen a subsidized course advertised to date in any dealership.. they all recommend it to new/returning riders, but I've never seen a buy a bike, get a free training class banner up in either QC, ON or AB.
We actually just started an MSF class (or Georgia's version of it at least) at our shop, spent $100k on the practice pad and classroom. The state actually handles all the registration fees and such, took it out of our hands. Unfortunately, it's $250/person, and with the dwindling margins on bikes, it gets pretty tight to try and throw something like that in. I would imagine that's why it isn't done. Plus, with it getting to be state-regulated training mostly around the US and the classes filling up fast, dealerships can't take up the slots available to hold for a customer.

I'd sell my soul for a trackday and some tires...
post #12 of 14 Old 06-27-2008, 12:52 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Amen

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #13 of 14 Old 06-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblur View Post
We actually just started an MSF class (or Georgia's version of it at least) at our shop, spent $100k on the practice pad and classroom. The state actually handles all the registration fees and such, took it out of our hands. Unfortunately, it's $250/person, and with the dwindling margins on bikes, it gets pretty tight to try and throw something like that in. I would imagine that's why it isn't done. Plus, with it getting to be state-regulated training mostly around the US and the classes filling up fast, dealerships can't take up the slots available to hold for a customer.
As a retailer myself (apparrel and consumer goods) what a dealer needs to look at, is their store as a brand the customer interacts with. True they may be getting squeezed on the actual OTD bike's margin but by subsidizing a course they create and extended value to the customer. The customer "feels" as if the store is really looking out for them and by keeping them happy and in turn safe they will be more likely to come back for secondary purchases that have a MUCH higher margin then the bike itself.
Afterall, you can't sell a new set of grips to an injured/dead rider.

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-01-2008, 10:05 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Ukes Harley does it for a limited time every year. Buy a bike, get the class. I'm trying to figure out how to do an indoor msf for winter months and make it profitable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode