919 Exhaust Fume Sickness? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
919 Exhaust Fume Sickness?

Hey all, I kind of have a weird topic/question/discussion.

Does anyone feel somewhat sick after a long ride and from smelling like exhaust fumes?

Everyone knows about the infamous 919 exhaust stink. You stop at stoplights and can get a good wiff of the exhaust smell, you start the bike up in the morning and can smell the strong exhaust smell, after riding, your clothes smell like exhaust. I've had my bike for a few weeks, and I've had a blast on it. But I've noticed that after riding for a little while and smelling like exhaust fumes, I tend to feel a little nauseous. I am not sure if it happens every time, but I've noticed more times than a few. I don't know if it's the scent of exhaust fumes that's making me feel this way, or am I in potential danger from riding the bike and inhaling the exhaust fumes? I think I start to feel this way after riding for a little while, and my sitting around in my clothes with the hint of the exhaust smell.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this...or if it's just me. Who knows, I could just a little under the weather for an extended amount of time.

I have a bone stock 2007.

Diecut Vinyl Wrist Twisters Decals: http://mkt.com/toasttogo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 04:48 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Somebody get the hell in here and help before this guy stinks himself to deeth on one of these dang Hornits!

ďIn my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.Ē
General George S. Patton
post #3 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Former 919er

Once you put on your Delkevic's you will be better off. From what I can tell you are not really breathing in any more toxic gases with the 919 than other undertail equipped bikes. It's just more smelly.

I have never felt nauseous though. My office used to smell from my bag and gear. So much that some folks have asked if we could meet elsewhere! It's much better now. I think it's probably you reacting to the smell more than it being the effect of inhaling gases.

Are you running 87 octane?

post #4 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Rather be Riding.

I've read a few threads about exhaust issues. Everyone says running 87 octane helps and using a Power Commander helps as well.

post #5 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

It's not a sickness IT'S A DISEASE!!!

And none of us have found a cure for it yet, other than consume MORE OF IT, to curb the cravings.

Ok, really, run as low of octane as you can find in your area. Even go down to 85 if you can find it, just to see what kind of results you get.

Get a power commander and get it dyno'ed. This will hopefully lean it out a bit.

Move the exhaust lower, 900RR setup or something.

But I never had a problem even when I had an undertail exhaust.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 05:04 PM
just send it.

Garage
I put a single sided exhaust on my bike and every once in a while I'll get a whiff of exhaust at a stop light. My jacket used to smell up the office, but now the smell is much less... or at least the pissing and moaning has stopped.

[This space for rent]
post #7 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Immune

Some people can be very sensitive to whatever is in exhaust, It could be you are one of those people. I'll admit my 919 stinks and when it's real bad (like in the winter) I swear it makes me nauseous, but only if I'm standing next to it while it's idling. Once I get moving and get some fresh air in my face I feel better.

post #8 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 05:19 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

87 octane, Power Commander, aftermarket exhaust with turn-down tips (or better yet 900rr conversion), and also a Tailbag on the rear seat. All will help with the smell; as for getting nausea... no, I don't have that problem. The people riding behind me... that blows for them.

post #9 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

It's been a while since I converted to a low side exhaust (which alleviated the problem for me), but I do remember feeling a little queasy once in a while after riding. I even noticed that the smell was in the fabric inside my helmet.

I know the topic of stink has been beat to death, but I wonder if it could be linked to how cool the 919 engine seems to run, like maybe its always adding fuel to warm up. I changed my thermostat a year or so ago and the bike now runs maybe a couple of needle widths over the "C" mark instead of at or below it. It seems that I smell less stink especially after the bike is warmed up.

post #10 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Thank you all for the suggestions. Yes, I am running 87 octane. There's one place that has 85 about an hour from me, I should try that out one day. The more I think of it, it may just be me being a whiner about it and making it a bigger deal than it really is. I know my VFR doesn't have this problem, probably because of the certain aerodynamics it has.

I think what I'll end up doing is putting on my tail bag and see if that disrupts the stench strength. If it does, who knows, maybe I'll install a permanent top box. 8-) But the Delkevics sound like something I really want to install, especially since it's an exhaust with the angled tips to help redirect the exhaust...well and because I really want them. And if the smell still really bothers me, I may end up doing a 900rr conversion...but I know that's much more expensive. I know that this 919 is an awesome motorcycle and I don't want to have to sell the bike just because riding it makes me feel sick LOL

Thank you for all the suggestions...I'm hoping the smell is something I get more accustomed to, so that it's no longer a foreign smell to me haha.

post #11 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

The 919 exhaust stink does not exist, it's merely a myth... like Bigfoot...

post #12 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I'm pretty sure what's happening is what would be known as a Somatic reaction. In other words because you smell the exhaust you get nauseous. Really no different than if you smell someones vomit, or a babies diarrhea, a decade animal or stuff like that. Those things don't actually make you sick, you get sick because of what you think of the smell.

post #13 of 34 Old 07-26-2011, 01:08 AM
Tirone

I too have had slight nausea and headaches after riding my 919. You may be experiancing mild carbon monoxide poisoning. Check wikipedia it shows all the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. I dont think its in your head. Your body is probably just more sensitive to it than others.

post #14 of 34 Old 07-26-2011, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
If it continues, after a few weeks and after my new exhaust, I'll possibly try a 900rr conversion. If that still doesn't seem reasonable...worst case scenario, I'll have to trade the bike! Ahh!!

post #15 of 34 Old 07-26-2011, 01:04 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

There's also another thread on type of fuel people are using, but what may also help you out is the talk on additives. Specifically cleaners (techron, seafoam, etc) and another one that interests me that I'll be trying is an ethanol stabilizer called Star Tron. Hopefully it does what it says, the ethanol in gas produces A LOT of stink. When Rickard919 came down from Canada, he noticed a huge increase in exhaust stink with our E-10 gas. Ethanol is in almost ALL gas stations WA state now, probably in yours too.

Here's the thread:
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...tml#post459084

And here's a vid on the Star Tron additive (not affiliated with them in any way)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGRP_aLaJ-k

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #16 of 34 Old 08-01-2011, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Wow thank you very much Andrew...I may try different fuel cleaners to see if it gets rid of the stink for that tank. Would be pretty badass if it did.

post #17 of 34 Old 08-01-2011, 04:17 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Sickness? You fishing for a lawsuit? You're not one of those guys who has a supply of stiff neck collars in his car, right?

My 919 exhaust has a funny effect on me too - it usually makes me want to ride more. Guinness does the same thing. In all seriousness, changing to Leo Vince slip-ons changed the smell a bit. I still notice it but not as much. Maybe I'm just used to it.

post #18 of 34 Old 08-01-2011, 06:01 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

When I first got the bike (new) it made my wife sick when she was on the back. After a couple hundred miles it started to lighten up. Now I hardly notice it with 10K on the clock. Stick with the low octane fuel, mine really stinks if I use 91 - 93.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #19 of 34 Old 08-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Doing things the hard way

My bike did not stink at all for 9 months, then I took it in for a pre-roadtrip checkup at Honda and now it does (I have no idea why, they said they did nothing but spotcheck, adjust and lube). It does not make me sick though, and I usually don't pay attention to it. Good quality regular gas seems to mitigate it.

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
post #20 of 34 Old 08-01-2011, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambomonster View Post
Sickness? You fishing for a lawsuit? You're not one of those guys who has a supply of stiff neck collars in his car, right?
Hahaha...nahh...I guess I just wasn't used to the smell. After riding some more, I'm starting to somewhat get used to the smell. Actually, I've found a slight remedy as well. If I use my tail bag, it either absorbs some of the smell, or redirects the stink so that it's not completely on me. Which is sweet! I've got a set of Delkevics coming in the mail as well, can't wait to install those puppies...apparently the downward open end gets rid of a little bit of the smell also.

post #21 of 34 Old 05-05-2014, 06:05 AM
Milites Gregarius

Bloody stupid design fail from Honda. Spoils an otherwise cracking bike. I am reluctant to pillion my wife as her clothes stink afterwards. Unfortunately down under in Aus our lowest octane is 91. Have I missed something, doesn't high octane burn better, a better bang?

Maloney67
"it's easier to ask forgiveness
than it is to get permission"
post #22 of 34 Old 05-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Chicken Strips

Garage
I don't notice the stink when I ride mine but have only taken it on a few rides since getting it.

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
post #23 of 34 Old 05-05-2014, 10:50 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maloney67 View Post
Bloody stupid design fail from Honda. Spoils an otherwise cracking bike. I am reluctant to pillion my wife as her clothes stink afterwards. Unfortunately down under in Aus our lowest octane is 91. Have I missed something, doesn't high octane burn better, a better bang?
Actually, higher octane is more resistant to combustion... The reason high performance engines require the higher octane is becuase it prevents detonation (uncontrolled combustion) which is more of a problem in high compression engines. This is why running 87 in the 9'er normally can reduce the stink becuase it results in a more complete combustion. The only benefit you'll get with 91 is if you can get it ethanol free, but it made the stink so much worse for me it wasn't worth it.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #24 of 34 Old 05-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maloney67 View Post
Your Octane rating is "RON" based. In North America, we get RON+MON/2

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This means your 91 rating is in fact the same 87 octane we have in North America

post #25 of 34 Old 05-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Maloney, switch to a 900rr exhauast (lower) setups. It moves the exhaust low enough it won't bother your pillion rider.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #26 of 34 Old 05-05-2014, 01:57 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I haven't followed this topic in quite some time. Has anyone ever figured out why some 919s get the stink and some don't?

I've owned two 919s - stock, and with various mods - aftermarket exhaust, PC III, PAIRS block-off, etc., and have never noticed the stink.

post #27 of 34 Old 05-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
I haven't followed this topic in quite some time. Has anyone ever figured out why some 919s get the stink and some don't?

I've owned two 919s - stock, and with various mods - aftermarket exhaust, PC III, PAIRS block-off, etc., and have never noticed the stink.

How to get rid of 919 Exhaust stink

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #28 of 34 Old 05-05-2014, 03:56 PM
GLG-20

Garage
They all stink. Some of you just outrun the smell.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #29 of 34 Old 05-05-2014, 04:02 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

It all depends on the riders ambient stink level. If you already stink, you won't notice it that much.

post #30 of 34 Old 05-06-2014, 03:49 AM
Tirone

I had the same issue due to excessive noise from the rear pillion seat. Something about smelly hair. Modified mine to a low mount, helped with the turbulence hitting the pillion/gear. I'll see if I can post a pic. Mind you I don't know what fuel you guys in the states are running, we're on 91 octane (unleaded) 95 (premium or with ethanol) and so on. But lead fuel or benzene is no good for you either way, and if you're sitting in a lot of traffic on the way to work the smell will soak into whatever you're wearing anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01102009.jpg (200.6 KB, 19 views)

post #31 of 34 Old 05-06-2014, 04:07 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

"I love the smell of my 9'er in the morning. It smells like...victory"

post #32 of 34 Old 05-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Aquilifer

I've had a couple of long rides where afterwards my stomach was upset and I just crashed after getting home, then the next day felt like shit. In both cases I had also gotten a good dose of sun on my melon, to the point of minor sunburn, so I am sure it was more the sunburn than the Hornet stink but once I finish off a few other projects I'm definitely going to be swapping to a side exhaust system.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #33 of 34 Old 05-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Milites Gregarius

4/stinkwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhornetowner View Post
I had the same issue due to excessive noise from the rear pillion seat. Something about smelly hair. Modified mine to a low mount, helped with the turbulence hitting the pillion/gear. I'll see if I can post a pic. Mind you I don't know what fuel you guys in the states are running, we're on 91 octane (unleaded) 95 (premium or with ethanol) and so on. But lead fuel or benzene is no good for you either way, and if you're sitting in a lot of traffic on the way to work the smell will soak into whatever you're wearing anyway.
Hey Newhornetowner, so the low pipe cured the exhaust fumes? I'm in Bunbury, WA and my 07 stinks. Haven't tried low Octane though. My thoughts are it's too rich and needs high octane or mapping. Prepared to change pipe and map. If that doesn't work I will flick the bike before I get too attached.

Maloney67
"it's easier to ask forgiveness
than it is to get permission"
post #34 of 34 Old 05-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

High octane will make it worse. Take our word for it, this topic has been hammered to death, brought back to life, choked, killed, and buried.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode