Ride Video - Ride of the GS500s - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 09-14-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Ride Video - Ride of the GS500s

I was asked to put on a ride for GS500s. So I did. Got out my old trusty and had a ball...

Ride Of The GS500s - Suzuki GS500 Meetup & Ride - YouTube

Michael

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Aquilifer

I would like a little more info on the GS500. There's one for sale in town and I've always liked them.

post #3 of 8 Old 09-14-2011, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

If you have half an hour here is an Indepth video review type thing I did of the GS500...

Suzuki GS500 Indepth Walk Around & Review - YouTube

In short, it is a 487cc air cooled parallel twin bike that has been in production since 1989. In 2001 the carbs were changed from a two jet to a three jet and the bike got a larger fuel tank (now five gallon / 20 litre). In 2003 the faired version became available and the only change to the engine was the addition of an oil cooler for the faired version.

16 tooth front sprocket, 39 rear. Highway riders sometimes put a 17 on the front and city riders go as low as 14 on the front. I've left my totally stock and it does real well as Suzuki designed it for both city and highway.

It will NOT accidentally wheelie. I get above 50mpg and have put 43,000+km on mine without any issues whatsoever. The throttle response is not jerky so people new to riding will find it friendly, it almost corners itself and I find it quite comfortable.

It is NOT a supersport so don't expect it to be and you'll be fine.

Anything you'd like to know about that's not covered in the above video or this post, let me know.

Michael

post #4 of 8 Old 09-14-2011, 04:19 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
I would like a little more info on the GS500. There's one for sale in town and I've always liked them.
Check out the gstwin.com site. Their forum would roughly be the GS500 analog of Wristtwisters -- Complete with the home-brew-upgrades that add 20HP to your bike.

post #5 of 8 Old 09-14-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott View Post
Check out the gstwin.com site. Their forum would roughly be the GS500 analog of Wristtwisters -- Complete with the home-brew-upgrades that add 20HP to your bike.
Hey. Still got your GS?

@PAULIBIKER What jscott said... it really is the definitive place for GS500 info, help, etc. Sub forum for Australia area and for UK area. Etc. Have a wiki at GStwin.com Wiki - Home Page - and - they are very civil (it's hard to have a big head if you ride a GS500 )

Bike is old school tech for self wrenchers, modded a lot by owners - color, headlights, etc. Comes standard with center stand.

Michael

post #6 of 8 Old 09-15-2011, 02:57 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister View Post
Hey. Still got your GS?
Heh, yeah, I still got 'er. Started a project with a running GS, chopped the tail, made a new seat, got dual lights, blacked everything out, etc, etc....

Went to start it before putting it all back together and dropped a valve. I picked up a running 919 same month, so the GS spend a few seasons under a cover in a buddy's back yard. The GS finally made it back to my garage, but I still haven't torn into the engine. There's parts in like 5-6 different places, so I'm not even sure I'll get around to this for some time. :)

Was a fun bike though. Highly recommended for any beginner unless they're over, say, 6-foot-4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (182.5 KB, 3 views)

post #7 of 8 Old 09-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Discen

I rode a 93 GS500E for about 10k, last weekend bought my wife a 07 500F, rode it approx 250 miles home... i had forgotten how much fun they are. I had no problems hitting 100, and it corners like a dream; fun bike, low insurance and virtually no maintenance. Another plug for Gstwin.com, great bunch of guys with a limitless supply of info on mods and upgrades.

03 919
06 DR650, GSXR exhaust mods, etc, etc.

adventure is where you find it...
post #8 of 8 Old 09-16-2011, 06:19 AM
yzarc mi os

I had a gs for a while. bought it for the wife and we found out she can't street ride a bike.

any ways it was a great little machine i put a 15 tooth sprocket on re jetted the carbs and used a lunchbox filter to make maintenance easier. the 15 tooth brought a lot of getty up that the gs was lacking. made it a blast to ride. I actually mis it. it was light and was great for learning to hooligan on with a dropped sprocket.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode