Question for Go Pro owners. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 05-03-2012, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Question for Go Pro owners.

I'm considering a Go Pro, for an upcoming track day, and have a couple of questions.

Which model would you reccomend and why?

And what's your preferred method and location of mounting?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocomomark View Post
I'm considering a Go Pro, for an upcoming track day, and have a couple of questions.

Which model would you reccomend and why?

And what's your preferred method and location of mounting?
I have a GoPro Hero (not HERO2), and like it when it's bright outside. When it's dark, however, the fuzziness is terrible. But again, we're talking about a LITTLE camera with no attachable optics. It's to be expected.

I am also interested in mounting locations, however. I would like to get the adapter that fits on the gas cap ring, right now I just have it on my helmet. At least this way it goes with me wherever I go, and don't have to keep taking it off the bike.

But for the track, I'd want at least two places on the bike to mount it.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
2007 Honda CB900F (click for pics -sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 16 Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

I've got some videos up on this site with my GoPro. Which bike are you tracking?

I've also got a video that I haven't posted, where I mounted it to the top of my helmet. 'nd4spdbh' has a few videos of it mounted to the side of his helmet.

For track purposes, mounting it on the tail can show your body positioning. Mounting it so you can see the tach and front end can show you your lines, braking, gassing out, gear selection.

post #4 of 16 Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Omnivore

I have the GoPro Hero (not the hero 2). I have only used it a few times, but the videos are surpisingly good. To mount it, I got the roll bar mount from GoPro. It fits perfectly on the frame sliders on the 919 and on the forks on the Buell. I have also used the handlebar mount to attach it to the passenger foot peg. I tried it on my helmet once, but I move my head around too much for good video.

I don't have the suction cup, but a friend fas had good luck with that as well. I have just ordered some ball mounts from RAM that look promising. I'll find a link for them.

post #5 of 16 Old 05-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Omnivore

post #6 of 16 Old 05-03-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Immune

My intent is to track the 600, but the 919 will be kept in reserve. I think the tank mount is what I'm looking for, however I've heard it said that vibes there blur the image on the 919 (and I find that quite plausable considering the tanks seems to be the most vibration prone part of my 919) Perhaps the 600 is differnt?

The camera comes with multiple peel and stick mounts right? Is there a good reason to buy an additional mount? (I've seen the tank mounts, and the suction cup mounts)

Aslo, how the heck to you aim the camera? Faith? Trial and error?

post #7 of 16 Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Le So Cal Troll

i bought a hero 2 outdoor edition. so i got a head strap and vented helmet strap as well as a couple of sticky mounts one of which i used on the side of my helmet.

i use my gopro to to capture video of snow skiing so thats why i opted for the outdoor edition and its head straps.

BUT honestly if i had to do it again id buy the hero 2 motorsports edition, so i got an extra sticky mount, a j mount as well as a suction cup mount.

either way i typically record in 960p as it gets the same horizontal FOV as 720 or 1080p but more vertical field of view.

post #8 of 16 Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I have a GoPro and I love the thing. Two mounts on my helmet, the handle bar mount which I will be trying out for the first time this year, and then the suction cup mount. I like the video quality and it is simple to use.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Silent but Deadly

I have the Hero HD and the quality seems fine to me. These are videos made just playing around with some software so they are not great.

Suction on tank. (Is shaky)

[youtube]DfWNDdOB_yg[/youtube]

Helmet Mount (The least vibs of all mounts)

[youtube]i4zNMWWyjx0[/youtube]

I have also used the handle bar mount and if you reverse one of the screws you can attach it to the center of the handle bars which gives you a good view of the gauges and the road in front.

post #10 of 16 Old 05-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Le So Cal Troll

I have been wanting to figure out a mount i can use on the LOWER fork tube... yes lower. pretty much all engine vibes disappear when you mount a camera to the axle of the front or rear of the bike.

This summer when i got some time... some aluminum angle iron is gonna be my friend for camera mounts.... the side of the helmet mount is getting a lil old.

post #11 of 16 Old 05-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
I have been wanting to figure out a mount i can use on the LOWER fork tube... yes lower. pretty much all engine vibes disappear when you mount a camera to the axle of the front or rear of the bike.

This summer when i got some time... some aluminum angle iron is gonna be my friend for camera mounts.... the side of the helmet mount is getting a lil old.
Couldn't you just use one of the curved mounts, like for the helmet? Seems it would get enough sticky material on there to work.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
2007 Honda CB900F (click for pics -sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #12 of 16 Old 05-03-2012, 02:53 PM
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

All my videos are with the GoPro HD Hero Motorsports edition. I'm thinking I need the GoPro 2 Motorsports.

Comes with a suction cup rated to ~130mph and plenty of 3M sticky mounts that you can permanently put on your bike or helmet if you really want to do that. I personally do not.
I also bought the 'Chesty' chest harness which mounts the camera right between your pectoral man boobs.

I've used it on everything from whitewater rafting, cliff diving, trail running, and of course motorcycling.

I definitely recommend picking up at least two SDHC Class 10 (at least class 8) in case one goes defunk and you lose all your awesome video 500 miles from home.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Coloradan

I have a go pro hero and use the roll bar mount on the 9'er and my Jeep. In this setup the hardware is almost maxed out...
Attached Images
File Type: png ForumRunner_20120504_074044.png (314.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png ForumRunner_20120504_074050.png (305.3 KB, 8 views)

Peter B
post #14 of 16 Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Le So Cal Troll

i shall have to see how much one of those roll bar mounts is at my work today!

post #15 of 16 Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 AM
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

That is a great idea coaz!

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Coloradan

it's a super tight fit because the screws are just barely long enough. I'd suggest buying a longer set. I think my bracket is a little bent from having it on an off so many different things.

I had originally mounted it lower, but had problems getting clearance away from the fender with the camera housing.

Peter B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode