New paint job for the helmet - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 04-02-2014, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
919 Stealth Fighter

New paint job for the helmet

Just thought I'd post some pics of my helmet painting project. Here's some from before and during the process.

I just love DIY stuff...

-s1x '02 Asphalt 919
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KBC01-before.jpg (184.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg KBC02-before.jpg (161.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg KBC03-paint.jpg (134.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg KBC04-paint.jpg (134.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg KBC05-clearcoat.jpg (168.0 KB, 45 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-02-2014, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
919 Stealth Fighter

...and after

-s1x '02 Asphalt 919
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KBC06-clearcoat.jpg (173.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg KBC07-after.jpg (201.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg KBC08-after.jpg (221.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg KBC09-after.jpg (178.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg KBC10-after.jpg (236.5 KB, 45 views)

post #3 of 9 Old 04-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Tirone

That's seamless, great work! now come do my paint work. I'm far too impatient to do half as good a job.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-05-2014, 04:42 PM
TEXAN

Definitely an improvement.

post #5 of 9 Old 04-06-2014, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
919 Stealth Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delraco View Post
That's seamless, great work! now come do my paint work. I'm far too impatient to do half as good a job.
Thanks! Yeah - it's all in the taping and THAT takes patience. Fresh tape and a sharp exacto blade help. What's on your list to paint?

-s1x
'02 Asphalt 919
post #6 of 9 Old 04-11-2014, 11:50 AM
Tirone

Those paint jobs look pretty clean. Very good job on them... i'm impressed! what would you recommend as the ideal canvas for a new helmet lol.

I wanna get a cheap blank helmet like http://www.motorcyclehouse.com/msr-helmets.htm
and get it painted, you think it's possible?

post #7 of 9 Old 04-12-2014, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
919 Stealth Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by konigralph View Post
I wanna get a cheap blank helmet... and get it painted, you think it's possible?
Sure... anything is possible but have you priced it out yet (getting it painted)? And have you already chosen/designed your new paint scheme? There are so many helmets out there at reasonable prices with great (and super durable) graphics already but if you have a special design in mind, it might be worth it. Even after putting 3 coats of clear-coat over my paint, it still chips easy compared to a factory graphics.

I painted mine because I'm cheap and I like DIY stuff (also, partly due to being cheap). I didn't want to spend the money on a new helmet yet but I wanted a change.

Be careful buying a helmet based on price. If you're buying online, make sure you're buying the correct size AND SHAPE for your head! Some are round - some are oval. Do some research on the helmet before you buy. Try one on locally if you can. This will have a huge impact on your riding experience - especially on longer rides and/or at higher speeds! I too tight helmet can give you a headache and a too loose helmet will be sloppy (press against your nose at speed and turn/slip with side wind).

I'd like to see your helmet design concept. Post pics if you can.

-s1x

post #8 of 9 Old 04-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1xstr1ng View Post
Sure... anything is possible but have you priced it out yet (getting it painted)? And have you already chosen/designed your new paint scheme? There are so many helmets out there at reasonable prices with great (and super durable) graphics already but if you have a special design in mind, it might be worth it. Even after putting 3 coats of clear-coat over my paint, it still chips easy compared to a factory graphics.

I painted mine because I'm cheap and I like DIY stuff (also, partly due to being cheap). I didn't want to spend the money on a new helmet yet but I wanted a change.

Be careful buying a helmet based on price. If you're buying online, make sure you're buying the correct size AND SHAPE for your head! Some are round - some are oval. Do some research on the helmet before you buy. Try one on locally if you can. This will have a huge impact on your riding experience - especially on longer rides and/or at higher speeds! I too tight helmet can give you a headache and a too loose helmet will be sloppy (press against your nose at speed and turn/slip with side wind).

I'd like to see your helmet design concept. Post pics if you can.

-s1x
Most recently I was painting a few components on the 9er after an off into some cedar trees.

For near future projects: I accidentally (and significantly) roughed up the clear coat on my plain white Arai Profile during a well-meaning attempt at putting a reflective coating on it...yeah. don't try it! It doesn't work!

whelp, the missus is a talented artist and offered her assistance in doing a black on white design using paint pens. I'd go over it with a sturdy clear afterwards..still in the research phase.

And in the mean time, I'm admiring other artist's work on helmet design.
This guy is world-class..

post #9 of 9 Old 04-13-2014, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
919 Stealth Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delraco View Post
And in the mean time, I'm admiring other artist's work on helmet design.
This guy is world-class..
Wow! That guy is one badass designer/painter! Waaay outta my price range. To sum up MY painting prowess... Krylon!

I'd be perfectly content with one o'these: helmet SPEED-R MXV SAUER Black Anthracite Red Speed-R SHARK Pulse Division SHARK-HELMETS - FRANCE FRANCE - English

-s1x
'02 Asphalt 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode