Jaguar XF - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Jaguar XF

Somehow I got on Jaguar's email list and receive monthly mailings. Click on "view films" and check out this cool video set to Deep Purple for the new Jaguar XF:

http://www.jaguarusa.com/us/en/lates...enews_20080325

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 11:01 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Looks nice - wonder about motors they will be coming with ! Hopefully something big and fast !

post #3 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Just read in today's paper that Ford has sold off Jaguar and Land Rover to an Indian company, Tata. $1.7 billion for both, less than a third of their original purchase price.

post #4 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Just read in today's paper that Ford has sold off Jaguar and Land Rover to an Indian company, Tata. $1.7 billion for both, less than a third of their original purchase price.
The good news is you will now be able to buy Jags and Land Rovers at

post #5 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

I don't think this bodes well for Ford. Fire sale on two respected marques that they grossly mismanaged for years, taking pennies on the dollar and writing off several billion dollars. I'm a Ford fan as far as domestic iron, we use strictly Ford in our taxi fleets and have over 300 on the road, but I question the wisdom of their upper management.

post #6 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 12:21 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
The good news is you will now be able to buy Jags and Land Rovers at
:wing:

Quote:
I don't think this bodes well for Ford. Fire sale on two respected marques that they grossly mismanaged for years, taking pennies on the dollar and writing off several billion dollars. I'm a Ford fan as far as domestic iron, we use strictly Ford in our taxi fleets and have over 300 on the road, but I question the wisdom of their upper management.
Wisdom and Ford Upper Management do not go together.

post #7 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 01:03 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

I think the biggest issue with Rove and Jag was thier sales were dropping , at a double digit pace if I rember correctly. Looks like a classsic cut your losses type of thing. PLus it helps Ford to show more of a loss so thier tax bill wont be as heavy - not that thet shouldnt be paying thier part, what with sending alot of jobs off shore.

post #8 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
It's actually a very good move for Ford globally. They poorly managed the luxury brands an "watered them down". It's time for Ford to re-focus their efforts and make good reliable, sensible cars and trucks that the masses want to buy. Hmmmm...

Almost too simple?

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #9 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Of course now they've discontinued the old Taurus, best car they ever built, and replaced it with a rebadged Ford 500 as the new Taurus. They also rebadged the Ford Freestyle crossover as the Taurus X. Evidently their new marketing plan is just to rename all of their models some variation of "Taurus" and hope the public is stupid enough to buy it.

post #10 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post

Almost too simple?
yeah but they'll screw that up too

buy a jag at the 7-11 that's

post #11 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 01:29 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
It's actually a very good move for Ford globally. They poorly managed the luxury brands an "watered them down". It's time for Ford to re-focus their efforts and make good reliable, sensible cars and trucks that the masses want to buy. Hmmmm...

Almost too simple?
You said it buddy!

post #12 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

That the luxury brands were watered down is certainly true, but you do have to give Ford credit for improving vehicle quality and resolving the electrical glitches that were standard equipment on earlier Jags and Rovers. I wonder what they'll do with Volvo and Mazda now, that's all they have left.

post #13 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 01:41 PM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I hate saying this, but Ford could take a lesson from GM/Saturn these days. Ford has some incredible cars outside the US. Though they have done a decent job of shared platforms, etc. The average Joe Consumer doesn't know this. Ford needs a kick in there "design arses"! The toothy fronts are RC90 butt ugly! C'mon, let's get with the program Ford. Bring a few Euro versions across the pond!

Their entire US-based design and marketing group needs to be replaced or at least sent overseas for 3-6 months to understand style!

The problem with GM/Saturn is the weakness of the dollar. Great plan, poor timing and a bit of poor execution of their Aura and Astra with power for the US. The price point is too high to compete with the US made Honda's and Toyota's. I use to love my Vectra (Aura) in Brazil, great car. But, not a competitor for the US built Accord. Even in Brazil the Accord will cost you about $80k and the Aura will cost you about $40k.

I truly like the new Jag, but at that price point ... there are many much better vehicles from a comfort and performance point.

post #14 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 01:44 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Almost too simple?
Quote:
That the luxury brands were watered down is certainly true, but you do have to give Ford credit for improving vehicle quality and resolving the electrical glitches that were standard equipment on earlier Jags and Rovers. I wonder what they'll do with Volvo and Mazda now, that's all they have left.
Ummm.... BMW fixed Land Rover.

post #15 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 01:48 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51 View Post
Ummm.... BMW fixed Land Rover.
Engine only. Well, drivetrain.

post #16 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 01:52 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Engine only. Well, drivetrain.
Si Amigo... it they re-designed the entire car. Tore out the whole Lucas Systems and replaced it with Bosch / GEMS II set up.

Also, the current Range Rover was initially designed by BMW. It actually came out with the 745i's V8 engine. The earlier MK II's have that in them. Basically BMW's

post #17 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Well no argument with BMW engineering either, they've done a wonderful job with the Mini Cooper, and Rolls Royce has enjoyed much needed updates thanks to them as well.

post #18 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 02:27 PM

Awards Showcase

The new Jag XKR is on my Top 10 favorites list! Absolutely beautiful redesign. Gotta love the Aston lines!

post #19 of 19 Old 03-27-2008, 02:32 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
The new Jag XKR is on my Top 10 favorites list! Absolutely beautiful redesign. Gotta love the Aston lines!
It is a beautiful car, I just think it is too close to the DB9 Aston. Go figure though, the same guy designed them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode