GoPro vs. Contour... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

GoPro vs. Contour...

I have friends with both, they both use them for offroading applications and Supra driving but not on bikes.. I like the sleekness of the contour as I would be mounting it on my lid. I don't really like the idea of a boxy camera sticking off my helmet. Wondering what others are running and what their take is on the two. They are both priced relatively close.. only difference I could find is the GoPro has a 11mp cam and the Contour has a 5mp... now my iPhone has a 8mp so I can kind of judge what a 5mp would come out looking like.. what do yall think...

This is America dude. Learn the rules.

'03 919- UL's, Remus Carbon shorties, Dunlop D616's
'85 4Runner- KM2's, locked front and rear, tons of armor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Immune

The quality of the lense will play a larger role than Megapixels, especially with that size of a camera. In other words a 2 mp camera with a good lense can whoop a 12 mp camera with a pinhole lens. So I wouldn't let the mp in the camera mode sway you alot. The go pro seems to have alot of aftermarket parts, brackets, attachments housings, etc etc available for it, so that's a plus. I have a friend with one go pro and three countours, and he says that he doesn't have an opinion one way or the other. Both seem to work fine.

post #3 of 15 Old 05-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Le So Cal Troll

from what i have seen the gopro's video is better quality.

I run a Hero 2 on the side of my helmet, and you really cant feel it till 80mph or so.

check out my vids here

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...log-29020.html

Also remember that the original video is ~ 15mbps and on youtube your looking at around 8mbps due to their compression.

And finally in that thread of my vids.... most of the first stuff was done with powerdirector after realizing that it messed with the quality some i switched to adobe premier pro.

post #4 of 15 Old 05-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Will fly for food.

Garage
Check out the Kodak Playsport zx3. It's super cheap and performs almost the same as a goPro. I had a buddy that used his for longboarding and kayaking and it took some nice quality videos. His was helmet mounted and couldn't feel it.

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #5 of 15 Old 05-24-2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipinoaviator View Post
Check out the Kodak Playsport zx3. It's super cheap and performs almost the same as a goPro. I had a buddy that used his for longboarding and kayaking and it took some nice quality videos. His was helmet mounted and couldn't feel it.
I don't know how I feel about buying a product from a company that has gone bankrupt and plans to stop producing digital cameras... makes me think product support and warranties would mean jack shit.

post #6 of 15 Old 05-24-2012, 01:11 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I've used both, the Contour is more sleek and does mount to the helmet flushed as opposed to a GoPro sticking out like sore thumb. The GoPro however produces better video no question. I would assume even more with the Hero2 (I only have the 1st gen) WIth that said the Contour allows you to make adjustments that the GoPro doesn't. That includes mic sensitivity and brightness, which if you're planning on a lot of night vids, the Contour might be a better choice. The mic on the contour sucks no matter how you adjust volume, there are remedies such as a baby sock over the unit or using their bulky water-proof housing ($30), but the GoPro over 80MPH does too (using the open back). When using the water-proof back it blocks out too much sound IMO (on both).

The contour uses MicroSD and GoPro uses SD. I've used up to 16GB on the Contour, never tried 32. I have a 32GB in my GoPro now. I think you'll be happy with either, but it just goes to what do you need it to do more.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #7 of 15 Old 05-24-2012, 02:59 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipinoaviator View Post
thanks for the tip on zx3. Just got myself zx5 from best buy for $80 ($100 off). I googled zx5 vs gopro and for the price you can't go wrong. Also got lens kit for it from BB (Telephoto Lens and Wide-Angle Lens) $30.

As far as Kodak going bankrupt goes, I don't see any issues until they close doors. The whole point of bankruptcy is not to go out of business but to restructure and continue the company. Someone going to buy Kodak eventually in pieces. If not, this technology is going to be obsolete by that time anyway.

for $80 can't go wrong
http://youtu.be/JPb2ku73uiQ

post #8 of 15 Old 05-24-2012, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

ND4- thats some pretty good quality and makes me envious of Cali. those are some good shots for me to base my choice off of... does any one have anyone have any contour vids?

post #9 of 15 Old 05-24-2012, 03:22 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I ran a gopro HD in the past, currently running 2 Contour Roams. I'll try to break down my likes/dislikes about each.

Contour
ease of manipulation while riding (I can turn it off/on, and know if its off/on just by feeling for the position of the switch)
shape seems to create less wind noise, and less drag when mounted on the helmet
Dislike
you cannot change settings 'on the fly', as it requires a PC or multiple microsd cards with the appropriately modified config.
I have yet to find a way to dump the video from the camera, without the camera. The microsd card does not contain a partition table or some other silly shit that keeps it from appearing as ready to use. User error may be at play here. I'm not a newbie to Linux, but sometimes it does shit that I don't expect.

GoPro
Can change settings "on the fly", but requires a friend unless you are stopped and willing to wrestle it off of your helmet...easily averted by memorizing the beeps/menus for navigation, but you still have to slow down enough to hear it.
Better camera, removable battery pack with battery backpack option.
Dislike
My first one failed before the year was up. The replacement failed within 6 months.
Without the case, there is (to my knowledge) not a way to mount it.

If your concern is video quality while riding, check out this video. Getting pulled over, for supposedly doing 40 in a 25mph school zone - YouTube

It was shot in 1080p, so you can play with the resolution to see the difference. Most people will be viewing this on a small screen (e.g. not a TV) so the difference is hard to distinguish.

I don't have any 1080p gopro video posted for a comparision, but there is plenty out there.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #10 of 15 Old 06-02-2012, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

So I went up to the parkway the other weekend and took my cousins GoPro, I really like the picture but here are some of my complaints:
1. def could feel it on my helmet when I got up there in speed.
2. noisy box/mount.

I did mess around with my cousins car last night with it mounted on my tank and I kind of like that set up, but I'm the kinda guy who likes POV shots. so I'm sure the contour would be exactly the same if it were tank mounted.

I'm thinking I'm going to go with the Contour, since I want most of my videos to be pov..
Maybe we could turn this into a GoPro vs. Contour video thread just for fun?

post #11 of 15 Old 06-02-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

also, does night quality suck on both these cameras? GoPros hero 1 sucks ass

post #12 of 15 Old 06-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmurda704 View Post
also, does night quality suck on both these cameras? GoPros hero 1 sucks ass
+1. Very grainy. It likes a lot of light.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
2007 Honda CB900F (click for pics -sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #13 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Leggie

GoPro2 - true, no good in low low-light

post #14 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by legrena View Post
GoPro2 - true, no good in low low-light
I tested my GPH2 the other night at sunset, and it was a LOT better than my first gen.

Then again, these cameras are built with no external optics in a very small frame, without a flash. No camera can see blind without infrared (and even produce decent color).

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
2007 Honda CB900F (click for pics -sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #15 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

anyone used that super new contour? the bluetooth and some crazy other features, one?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode