Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I feel sorry for that Daytona!

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #3 of 18 Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

...dancing in their seats and acting like fools. tards

post #4 of 18 Old 04-26-2011, 11:03 AM
The Cripple

worse part is.....

Quote:
The driver of the car that hit him, he says, had no driver's license and no insurance. He received multiple citations, including one for failure to control his vehicle's speed, but he wasn't arrested.
why in god's name did they NOT arrest the driver and charge him with attempted manslaughter?!

post #5 of 18 Old 04-26-2011, 11:04 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Citations. That's it ? I hope there's jailtime in their future

post #6 of 18 Old 04-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Steve

Cagers rule the road in Texas. They can maim or kill bikers with vitrtual impunity. Happens every day. Worse case scenario they might get a ticket or two but usually not. I ride that particular stretch of road quite frequently, it's like the autobahn with mandatory texting. Crazy drivers weaving in n out. One of the most dangerous roads I know of for a biker. He's lucky he lived.

Steve

post #7 of 18 Old 04-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Typical ... the cage driver had no insurance or license. I'll leave the obligatory flaming of inattentive cagers to the rest of you. Nonetheless, the accident was avoidable strictly by actions taken by the rider. A few points:

1 -- Always check your 6 when slowing, especially on an free/express/tollway. Drivers tend to assume the traffic will be travelling at the same speed all the time despite obvious evidence to the contrary.

2 -- Do the "What if?" game all the time. It really does help hone your survival skills.

3 -- Know how to properly control your bike. In the video the rider locks up the rear brake trying to slow down, spending valuable attention trying to keep the rear of the bike from passing the front. If the front brake was used it frees up attention to explore escape routes, in this case a quick dodge to the next lane accompanied by judicious application of throttle.

4 -- Don't ride in any large city in Texas. Self explanatory.

Thank Thor he survived, and if that's the best he can do in a marginal situation it is probably a good thing he gave up riding.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #8 of 18 Old 04-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

You can clearly see in the vid that he was braking hard, too. He was puttin' out smoke from his rear tire, so he had locked up. Maybe if he had braked better with his front and had the conscience to check his mirrors, he could have seen this and moved in between the stopping vehicles to be avoided.

That's a lot to do in a little amount of time and it is hard to be that vigilant at all times.

He's lucky.

And yeah, when he had passed the car earlier, he should have steered clear - the drive was clearly distracted by the passengers.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #9 of 18 Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Disregard my post, lol. robtharlson beat me to it!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #10 of 18 Old 04-26-2011, 12:14 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Lucky doesn't start to discribe it. Someone or Something was helping him out that day!

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

I don't see what you guys do. I don't see any way out for this guy. With the truck right next to him he had nowhere to go. He may have fit between the truck and the car in his lane but who can say.

He was far enough ahead of the truck to give it some gas and move over before he locked the rear, but at that time, you wouldn't be able to tell fucknugget wasn't going to stop. By the time he realized that, (if he did) his braking put him right next to the truck.

Had he noticed the slow down earlier maybe he could have slowed and got behind the truck I guess. Might have just got rear-ended an 1/8 mile earlier.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #12 of 18 Old 04-26-2011, 01:01 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I think there was enough time (3.5 seconds?) for him to react and maneuver had he not locked the rear tire. Obviously he could've benefited from testing his maximum braking in an empty road or parking lot... but when you're hitting the brakes that hard (specially on a motorcycle), it should almost me instincts to get the f* out of the way of the car behind you. Considering how much more braking power a motorcycle has to a car, forget about looking in the mirror. If that was me, I'd of gone into the left shoulder and let that car in front take the damage. Stay on the gas so you go a couple of cars ahead too, to avoid getting squished or thrown into oncoming traffic.

post #13 of 18 Old 04-26-2011, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Seņor Calamares

Calculating Stopping Distance

* 1 Multiply vehicle velocity (miles per hour) by 5280 feet, and divide by 3600 seconds to convert from miles per hour to feet per second.

Example: (60 miles per hour) x (5280 feet) / (3600 seconds) = 88 feet per second

* 2 All drivers require time to perceive a hazard and react by beginning to brake. Average perception time is 0.75 second, and average reaction time is also 0.75 second, for a total of 1.5 seconds. Multiply velocity in feet per second by 1.5 seconds to find the distance traveled while the driver reacts and moves to brake.

Example: (88 feet per second) x (1.5 seconds) = 132 feet

* 3 Divide the initial velocity in feet per second by a reasonable acceleration (braking causes negative acceleration) to determine how long it will take the vehicle to stop. According to the Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, acceleration of -20 feet per second is a good estimate.

Example: (88 feet per second) / (- 20 feet per second) = 4.4 seconds

* 4 Calculate the distance traveled while braking by multiplying the total time spent braking by the average velocity (initial feet per second divided by 2). This is the braking distance.

Example: (4.4 seconds) x (88 feet per second / 2) = 193.6 feet

Be aware that higher velocity means a longer braking distance, but the relationship is not linear. A change in velocity from 30 mph to 60 mph increases braking distance four times.

* 5 Add together the perception and reaction distance from Step 2 and the braking distance from Step 4 to find the total stopping distance.

Example: (132 feet) + (193.6 feet) = 325.6 feet

page 3 - Duel in the Dust - Comparison Test - RoadandTrack.com

post #14 of 18 Old 04-27-2011, 01:53 AM
Dead Wrong

Garage
No matter what happens or how it happens, it is always bikers fault. We must be aware of all possibilities to avoid stuff like this...

post #15 of 18 Old 04-27-2011, 03:05 AM
Survivor/Broken&Busted

Awards Showcase
Community Service Veteran 

If that was me I woulda hoped they kept the cameras rolling for when i got up and freaking SMASHED that dudes windows in on his car (if I was at all able to) ..... I promise if i could after going through something like that i definitely would ... lol i think that would definitely be a better spectacle than the wreck ... lolol

check this one out ...

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/st...t_From_Behind/

... Never take life too seriously ... Nobody gets out alive anyway ...
post #16 of 18 Old 04-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Why not?

post #17 of 18 Old 04-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Survivor/Broken&Busted

Awards Showcase
Community Service Veteran 

L-to the-MAO!! .... somebody musta been rrrrrreally frikkin bored or stupid ... !! hhahaha nice one tho ...

... Never take life too seriously ... Nobody gets out alive anyway ...
post #18 of 18 Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Rich

Its always easy to second guess and armchair quarterback after the fact. Maybe the guy *could* have avoided the accident with better skills, maybe not. Im just glad the guys survived the accident.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode