Anti Virus help - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Anti Virus help

OK cats and kittens. I'm coming to you live from my wife's laptop cause my pc is waiting for new security av software. I have'nt bought anything yet and I'm fishing for what ya'll like to use. I have been using Norton Internet Security,but stoopid me, I let it lapse. Shit, I may have screwed the pooch, but we'll see.
Give a future senior citizen a hand here.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

You may want to check and see if your ISP offers free AV software. I have had both Comcast and Verizon FIOS and both has free AV and it stays automatically updated. Good luck!

post #3 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 09:40 AM
The Cripple

first things first bigdaa, uninstall norton!

next step, UNINSTALL NORTON!!!!!!!

is norton uninstalled? are you sure? UNINSTALL NORTIN!!!!

ok now that i've stressed that point, look for avg or antivir antivirus, both programs are free, have served me well for the last 8 years, and just an all around great program to use, very easy. my personal favorite is antivir.

next thing you need to do is download lavasoft adaware (for spyware crap). also free, great program.

DID YOU UNINSTALL NORTON?!?!?!?!? just checking....

oh and 55 is the starting point for senior citizen gramps... welcome to the train

post #4 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 09:53 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

+1 AVG

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #5 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Tesserarius

I just tried the antivir it was one of those spyware programs where it says you have 2,394,495 errors and for $29.95 you can fix them. Were did you get it from maybe I just tried a bad link. Ive also had bad experiences with AVG in the past. I do however love adaware it is great freeware. Is AVG better than it used to be? I had it about 5 years ago and hated it.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #6 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 10:33 AM
The Cripple

it was a bad link schrock, lemmie see if i can find it.

post #7 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 10:33 AM
The Cripple

post #8 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Tesserarius

Thats the one I tried. I clicked the one on the left "Download". It wasnt AV at all just a spyware program that prompts you to purchase a registry key to "fix" the problems. I tried it again, and it seems to be a different download this time. I must have been on a page that looked identical, but with a crap program. Just making sure I get the right program before I UNINSTALL NORTON!!!!

post #9 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Le So Cal Troll

like others have said.... uninstall norton... its the biggest waste of your money ever. i work at a place where we do virus removals... and the most infected systems are one running norton.

Avira is a great antivirus. its free and one of the best.

I always recommend Microsoft Security Essentials its free from microsoft, is VERY easy to use and setup. does a DAMN good job and is very light on system resources.

I had a buddy that would have to have his comp redone like every 6 months by me cus of viruses.... the last time i redid his comp i put on Microsoft Security Essentials and havnt had to redo his comp in over a yr n a half.

also if you have issues after uinstinstalling norton.... ie not able to get on the internet. Download and run... http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_...834EN&ln=en_US

post #10 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Gets censored

Malware bytes is a good one for removing spyware and what not, freeeeee.

post #11 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Hmmmmm, I want to bone the chick laying down in the Avira site, what with being an old grunger like I am.

General George S. Patton
post #12 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Tesserarius

Got antivir up and running so far it seems to be good and I downloaded the microsoft essentials as well.

post #13 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 03:15 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

My humble opinion is that Kaspersky is the best AV on the market. However, I'm running Norton 2010 at the house and McAfee Corporate at the office. Those three are so close it isn't funny.

I run the basic anti-virus on all in conjunction with Malwarebytes anti-malware. No problems.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #14 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Tesserarius

I use avast
avast! - Download Free Antivirus Software or Internet Security

SpywareBlaster is an effective anti-spyware tool. Unlike most anti-spyware programs, it does not scan the hard drive for spyware. Its strategy instead is to prevent modifications of your files and settings. For example, it can block browser toolbars from installing themselves.
SpywareBlaster can be used to prevent changes to Windows' HOSTS file. It also has a System Snapshot feature similar to Windows' System Restore. SpywareBlaster will report any changes to your system since the last snapshot.
Cost: Free
Link: www.javacoolsoftware.com

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
post #15 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock86 View Post
Got antivir up and running so far it seems to be good and I downloaded the microsoft essentials as well.
No need to run multiple AV's... often times they will cause conflicts between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
My humble opinion is that Kaspersky is the best AV on the market. However, I'm running Norton 2010 at the house and McAfee Corporate at the office. Those three are so close it isn't funny.

I run the basic anti-virus on all in conjunction with Malwarebytes anti-malware. No problems.
Kaspersky is good, along with webroot.... norton and mcafee are unfortunatly no where close.... even Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast beat them... hell Microsoft Security Essentials is up there with kaspersky etc.

Its just ppl got in their minds way back that norton and mcafee were the best, so it stuck, like i said i can not tell you how much more infected computers are that come in to where i work that have norton / mcafee on them vs other AV's.

But really it comes down to you as the user, personally on my main computer i have NO antivirus... i dont see the point, all you have to do is watch what you download and your fine... havnt used an AV in over 7 yrs and never had a virus... and ill admit i do my fare share of downloading... i go through ~ 300GB of bandwidth each month at least.

post #16 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
I always recommend Microsoft Security Essentials its free from microsoft, is VERY easy to use and setup. does a DAMN good job and is very light on system resources.
+1 on the MS Security Essentials. I've been using it for about a year and a half on two laptops and it seems to work great, it's free, and I assume that it is the most seamless AV software you'll get to work with Windows and the other MS products. I honestly don't understand why anyone with a Windows based system wouldn't use it - but maybe I'm missing something.

post #17 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 05:14 PM
The Cripple

i havent tried MS security essentials, and honestly i hate window's security center to begin with. i disable all notifitcations of firewalls, the actual firewall itself, windows defender, antivirus notification, etc.

my attitude towards windows defender and the general security center makes me weary of security essentials, but hearing good reviews surprises me.

post #18 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Tesserarius

Norton is way better than what it used to be like back in the old days, its no longer the system hog of days ago...

The free AV ive used in the past were junk...

I bought a copy of Norton on EBAY that was good for up to 3 computers, got to say I really like it.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #19 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 06:13 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
first things first bigdaa, uninstall norton!

next step, UNINSTALL NORTON!!!!!!!

is norton uninstalled? are you sure? UNINSTALL NORTIN!!!!

ok now that i've stressed that point, look for avg or antivir antivirus, both programs are free, have served me well for the last 8 years, and just an all around great program to use, very easy. my personal favorite is antivir.

next thing you need to do is download lavasoft adaware (for spyware crap). also free, great program.

DID YOU UNINSTALL NORTON?!?!?!?!? just checking....

oh and 55 is the starting point for senior citizen gramps... welcome to the train
I see you are a big fan of Norton.

post #20 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
i havent tried MS security essentials, and honestly i hate window's security center to begin with. i disable all notifitcations of firewalls, the actual firewall itself, windows defender, antivirus notification, etc.

my attitude towards windows defender and the general security center makes me weary of security essentials, but hearing good reviews surprises me.
MS-SE is completely different than defender and the general security center. I use one of the laptops for 8 to 10 hours on weekdays and a fair amount on the weekends too - and I have never had a problem while using MS-SE. It works in the background without any annoyance at all and MS updates the virus definition files quite often - and they auto update into the system without you even noticing. And it's not just viruses - MS-SE identifies/kills other stuff like adware too. I've often wondered how companies like Norton and McAfee are even able to sell their AV software with this being available. Check it out and try it out.

post #21 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Immune

i have norton 2010 also and I have not had any problems so far but I have had problems in years past & I had norton AV. I am not sure if its gotten better or i am getting older and lucky

post #22 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
I see you are a big fan of Norton.
if you say the stuff i see on a daily basis of what norton does to your system (how much it slows down peoples comps) as well as what it lets get through... you would say the same.... also any computer forum / review online will say pretty much the same thing... stay away from norton / mcafee.

post #23 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Batman

how about get a mac instead (no flame wars please, I'm only saying this for the sake of internet born virus/malware attacks are MOSTLY rooted for win2k+)

or throw a linux distro on there, and get noscript installed for firefox (a must in my opinion on any browser).

I run avira on the netbook with no script, it's light and useful. pops up to "buy full version" - skip it, and it will run perfect forever. it's light on the system resources and does its job.

I run avast on the bigger laptop, noscript, autorun spybot search and destroy, and Ccleaner twice a month.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #24 of 57 Old 01-08-2011, 08:22 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
if you say the stuff i see on a daily basis of what norton does to your system (how much it slows down peoples comps) as well as what it lets get through... you would say the same.... also any computer forum / review online will say pretty much the same thing... stay away from norton / mcafee.
agreed. i despise norton and mcafee with a passion.... for the average joe blow, they may work alright but they're too easy to get screwed up and they are a pain in general.

why pay for something that does a medicore job at best when you can get something for free and works perfect.

ah spybot... another really good program, and free.

as for the mac comment.... what you say is true.... for now. but soon that will change for everyone running macs will get caught completely off guard since most of them were told they never needed an antivirus to begin with...

post #25 of 57 Old 01-09-2011, 03:59 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

The absolute first step when you get a virus is to run system restore under accessories>system tools and reverse your system to a time before your computer started acting up. (Windows XP, Vista, and 7 all have system restore) If you can't open system restore because of an infection, reboot your computer under safe-mode by pressing F8 before the first Windows logo comes on under boot and run system restore there. Running the restore under safe-mode keeps viruses from activating. (System restore is NOT to be confused with restoring windows to factory, which involves removing all your software and re-installing windows back to its original state)

Sometimes Norton and McAfee themselves get infected and need to be removed. If you can't remove it under programs in control panel successfully (probably due to infected or corrupted files), you can download the "Norton Removal Tool" or "McAfee removal tool" which is a software that does just what it says on the title.

Once you've restored back, update your anti-virus and malware remover so it has the latest detection files. If you don't have one, my choices are Avast Free and Malware Bytes. Both are free and both work well (can be downloaded at download.com). Run your anti-malware scan first then your anti-virus scan. Avast also has a boot-time scan, which scans your computer BEFORE windows loads up. Use this as a 3rd scan (64-bit Windows won't have this feature). Delete all infected files (not repair or move to chest).

Those steps should remove most viruses. I'm a computer tech at one of the shops up here and would never tell anyone those steps, since its my trade. But for all the help I've gotten from this site, its the least I can do.

post #26 of 57 Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Thanks much to all who have replied. On the lighter side of things, this is the girl I want to bone:

Avira Premium Security Suite

General George S. Patton
post #27 of 57 Old 01-09-2011, 06:38 PM
919lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
Thanks much to all who have replied. On the lighter side of things, this is the girl I want to bone:

UMMMMMMM.....OK

post #28 of 57 Old 01-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:

id agree!!!

post #29 of 57 Old 01-10-2011, 02:13 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:

Kinda creepy, but I'd have to 2nd your statement.

post #30 of 57 Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock86 View Post
Kinda creepy, but I'd have to 2nd your statement.
What.....you don't bone chicks in Iowa? Or.......older farts can't think of boning young ladies that they'll neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever get a chance to bone unless they have a fucking ton of money(I don't) or a 15 inch shtupper(I don't)?

By the way............my PC done butfucked myself and itself at precisely the same time. Now, all I get is the windows starting up and proceeding to my background wallpaper without any icons coming up, and the process shows idle time taking 99% of the op time.
I loaded a couple hundred 45 ACP's with Hornady XTP's yesterday and I'm tempted to test these new and expensive rounds out on my tower. Keep in mind that I said "I'm tempted...." which is far from "I am committed........."

General George S. Patton
post #31 of 57 Old 01-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
like others have said.... uninstall norton... its the biggest waste of your money ever. i work at a place where we do virus removals... and the most infected systems are one running norton.

Avira is a great antivirus. its free and one of the best.

I had a buddy that would have to have his comp redone like every 6 months by me cus of viruses.... the last time i redid his comp i put on Microsoft Security Essentials and havnt had to redo his comp in over a yr n a half.

also if you have issues after uinstinstalling norton.... ie not able to get on the internet. Download and run... Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product | Norton Support
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Malware bytes is a good one for removing spyware and what not, freeeeee.

Hey guys, I do this for a living and I can't stress enough those two tools above. Microsoft Security Essentials is way better than AVG. I clean infected all the time that have AVG on it. It works ok, but not great. Get Security Essentials and Malwarebytes and be done with it.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #32 of 57 Old 01-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
...Now, all I get is the windows starting up and proceeding to my background wallpaper without any icons coming up, and the process shows idle time taking 99% of the op time..."
When you first start the computer, as soon as the brand logo (Dell, HP, or whatever) goes off the screen start tapping F8. Hopefully, if your quick enough, you'll see a menu in which you'll see "Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking" etc.

Choose Safe Mode. That should allow you to boot your computer.

If not, yank the hard drive, ship it to me, I'll scan it externally and look for bad sectors, malware, spyware, viruses, pr0n, you name it. I'll then load up whatever free space you have left with Rap music (or country, it's all bad) and set your wallpaper to a picture of my '07 919.

Seriously though, if you can't get the thing to boot, might be time to find a local computer guru.

If you DO get it to boot, and you can get online, get in touch with me. I can remote in over the interwebs and fix it. Not kidding; do it all the time.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #33 of 57 Old 01-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Personally I use webroot. Looked around at some review sites before I got it. It was always in the top 5. Good price for a 3 license install as well.

As for running without anything? I did that for years with no ill effects. Until I talked to our Threat and Vulnerability team. I'm a security analyst, but I protect company assets from the inside. Our T&V team tackles the external stuff.

You would be amazed at what can happen to you by merely visiting a website. You don't have to download anything anymore. They do unprotected surfing with a test machine all the time and then analyze what they pickup. Not good.

Our company runs McAfee enterprise. Not sure how that differs from the retail version.

Check some stuff out.

Best AntiVirus Software Review 2011 | Compare AntiVirus Products - TopTenREVIEWS
PC Antivirus Reviews | 2011's Best Antivirus Software
Top 10 Antivirus Software Best 2011

When all is said and done. Nothing beats a good ol fresh OS install every couple years.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #34 of 57 Old 01-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Quote:

By the way............my PC done butfucked myself and itself at precisely the same time. Now, all I get is the windows starting up and proceeding to my background wallpaper without any icons coming up, and the process shows idle time taking 99% of the op time.

Damn, too late...

What caused me to go and get webroot after so many years without any AV was programs not opening, and lost the ability to even open the task manager and general weird shit happening. I downloaded a tool that works like task manager and didn't see anything strange so I just dumped the whole system and started over.

If you can get anything you want saved to disk or external drive, do it. Then reinstall windows. Nothing beats a fresh install.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #35 of 57 Old 01-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

+ 1 on the don't run without an anti-virus, especially with XP.

Anymore, you don't even have to visit a bad website. Just being plugged into the internet, if you have a crappy firewall (or disabled the OS one) or have some port in your firewall or have a crappy router with crappy configuration, you can get hosed.

I had an XP machine hacked in under 2 minutes once, just plugging it into the network. Granted it was from another machine on the network, but still. All we did was plug in the ethernet.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #36 of 57 Old 01-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Tesserarius

[QUOTE=Bigdaa;427243]What.....you don't bone chicks in Iowa? Or.......older farts can't think of boning young ladies that they'll neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever get a chance to bone unless they have a fucking ton of money(I don't) or a 15 inch shtupper(I don't)?

Oh no we do bone cicks in Iowa. The creepy part is pseudo-stalking.

post #37 of 57 Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Tirone

I have been using Avira Antivir together with MS Security Essential for my laptops (3 of them) and so far, everything works well.... (well, sometimes both AV fight each other on who can disinfect the virus when both of them detected it... )

Norton who??

post #38 of 57 Old 01-11-2011, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Well guys, both home and business towers are in the shop to get enemas. Gonna cost some, but it's gotta be done. I don't have time, nor inclination nor smarts to figure this shit out, so I got no probs paying a pro.

General George S. Patton
post #39 of 57 Old 01-18-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I'm back up and broadcasting from the bigdaa war room.
PC here and wifes PC were tainted with ugly viral spermitazoa and needed more than just a Summer's Eve® douche.

General George S. Patton
post #40 of 57 Old 01-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Bacon-powered

Norton antivirus products are the worst bloatware i've ever used. Combine that with the Fat Bastard of printer software: the HP All In One Printer Suite, and you turn your computer into a boat anchor really quick.

I stopped using norton antivirus products several years ago when I discovered NOD32 by ESET. It's the best, least intrusive, lightest weight antivirus software I've used so far. I use it on our work network as well.

Preschool - Kawasaki 100 enduro
Grade School - Honda CB 125
High School - Honda 400 Hawk
College - Honda VT500 Ascot
Real life - Honda 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode