Another Mullholland wreck - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 07-18-2013, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Another Mullholland wreck

What you guys think?

I think he should have been able to stop without swerving.

MOAR FRUNT BREAK!

ABS - Would it Have Saved Him? - YouTube

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Milites Gregarius

I don't know if the abs would have helped, but I do know that bumper would not have been...

post #3 of 24 Old 07-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

It seems a drivers first instinct when they pull out in front of a vehicle is to stop, which blocks the friggin' lane of the oncoming vehicle. Never understood that.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

post #4 of 24 Old 07-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
The rider didn't apply his front brakes much, if at all.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #5 of 24 Old 07-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Aquilifer

maybe if all them cars hadn't been parked on the shoulder the driver might have seen him or he the car sooner.
just a thought

Rich

post #6 of 24 Old 07-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Cornicen

Seems like at that speed, and with better situational awareness the biker should have been able to stop/swerve. Def a little bit of target fixation. Would still suck for sure.

post #7 of 24 Old 07-18-2013, 01:33 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

If the driver would've kept going instead of stopping, the rider would've been really messed up planting into the back window or trunk. It was way to little of a time for the car to accelerate into the other shoulder so the rider could have had a chance in swerving to the right toward the truck.

Here's a thought, don't pull your car into the road where you know motorcyclists go flying around a blind corner. CHances are she's aware of that area being a popular spot with sport riders just by being there. That's not to say the rider should not have been aware of that area as a gather spot as well (unless he's from elsewhere). When it comes down to it, the car is at fault but really riders should know better.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #8 of 24 Old 07-18-2013, 02:06 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

that was just bad situation all around. Where is that thread about drivers licenses and if some actually should be allowed to have one. That left turn attempt by the car was totally crazy, considering there is a blind corner and a double yellow and it's double and yellow for a reason - poor visibility. How many people do you see daily crossing that double yellow to make a left turn into the street, bank, gas station, store etc. . I know someone who got rear ended while waiting to turn left across the double yellow and insurance considered them 50% at fault.

I think the only state that allows to pass in double yellow zone is PA, as long as there is no "no passing" sign. I find that very odd though, why waste paint?

I am surprised he chose to go around it on the left though, putting himself into head on traffic and taking chances that the car will actually stop moving

post #9 of 24 Old 07-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Immune

If he can't avoid that car, he won't be riding a motorcycle long term.

post #10 of 24 Old 07-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Former 919er

He should really practice his emergency braking. Judging by the lack of fork dive he hardly got on the brakes at all. He had plenty of space to brake and stop or brake and maneuver. Target fixation appeared to be a factor, but hard braking still would have stopped him short.

Regarding the car, you can hear someone telling the rider not to be too hard on the driver because of the crappy visibility of that pull out area. Not knowing the speed and possible reaction of the rider, I think he gave the rider the best chance to get around the front. If the rider was flying his reaction most likely would be to go around the front of the car, if the coast was clear.

The car should have pulled further up the shoulder away from the corner for a better view of traffic.

Edit: watched it several more times. Car driver was an idiot. It looks like he saw the bike, hesitated, then tried to out run it, then bailed on the whole thing. That messed up the rider in his split second choice of exit routes.

post #11 of 24 Old 07-18-2013, 03:10 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

A lot of that car is on the other lane where he "should've" swerved into. If you knew that situation was coming (which is never) one could brake and swerve easily.

When you're dealing with a fast situation; moving car with a U-turn, having to swerve onto oncoming traffic, right after exiting a turn...well I think you can't blame the rider too much. Looks like right before impact where he did try to swerve (and almost cleared it), the back wheel was locked up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wham.jpg (130.9 KB, 31 views)

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #12 of 24 Old 07-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Le So Cal Troll

lol he tore that bumper off right good.

Cars fault, dumb woman driver, typical....

and of course we got Paul calming everyone down as usual, i need to buy that guy lunch one of these days.

post #13 of 24 Old 07-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Former 919er

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
lol he tore that bumper off right good.

Cars fault, dumb woman driver, typical....

and of course we got Paul calming everyone down as usual, i need to buy that guy lunch one of these days.
According to the YouTube description, it was a male driver. The girl you see saying sorry and picking up the pieces was the passenger. You can see her get out of the car before the cameraman walks over for her butt shot...

post #14 of 24 Old 07-21-2013, 05:18 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
It seems a drivers first instinct when they pull out in front of a vehicle is to stop, which blocks the friggin' lane of the oncoming vehicle. Never understood that.
Deer in headlights. That's one reason I hate people.........all of em!

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #15 of 24 Old 07-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
Deer in headlights. That's one reason I hate people.........all of em!
Yeah, and if you hit the deer you can take it home and chop it up and eat well for a while. Not so with the driver of that white Camry.

"Keep on 9-in"

post #16 of 24 Old 07-21-2013, 06:13 PM
no max no more

rider was going to fast period...not looking ahead...besides its a duck who cares

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #17 of 24 Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

He was going reasonable. Too fast would be major lean and accelerating out of that corner, which a lot of riders are doing on this guys other vids

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #18 of 24 Old 07-22-2013, 05:22 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
ABS would not have helped because it looks like dude wasn't applying much if any front brake. I'm going to guess he nailed the rear only.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #19 of 24 Old 11-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Tirone

I'm sitting here trying to figure out if the girl apologizing was cute or not.

post #20 of 24 Old 11-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Tirone

Any corner in the countryside is a blind corner. Hand on the front brake. I also see a lot of other cars there which tells me that it is a known entity that cars stop there, necessitating bikes riding slow thru there. A lot of motorcyclists in general ride too fast. I have been on countless rides with other people and I have had to let them race ahead. In a corner we have to expect something to pull out. I've been crossed by deer and other smaller critters and they just haul ass out of nowhere into the road. People turn in front of us. Assume they will. I have gone BEHIND many a car in this exact situation, usually with a "WTF!" as I cross behind them.

post #21 of 24 Old 11-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Immune

He should've missed that car. Maybe he needed some dirt bike experience to hone the reflexes.

Not sure what a double yellow has to do with making a left onto the road. Around here most everything is double yellow. Lots of blind curves & hills, as well. Never know when there is a slow farm tractor or hay wagon just beyond your visibility. Expect the unexpected.

post #22 of 24 Old 11-14-2013, 06:22 PM
-Thread Lurker-

Tons of time to react. In order for the ABS to kick in, you got to be in the traction braking threshold of skidding. As mentioned you cant see any fork dive, so I think he just panicked. We dont know whats on that guys mind, maybe hes out clearing his mind and was thinking elsewhere, had his gaurd down. Who knows, hard lesson learned though..

Till next time, Brrraap
post #23 of 24 Old 11-14-2013, 10:43 PM
Scoot

It's always easy to second guess, but I would agree - more front break. The fact that he locked the rear and the geometry of the bike is still relatively flat is a sign.

Also, I think I would headed for the rear of the car.

post #24 of 24 Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Tirone

Yeah, If the guy was more proactive he wouldn't have to worry. I guess its part of the approaching the stopped Camry and not sure whta you need to do. He froze up plain and simple.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode