919 tear down and rebuild/refinish results - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By MrCougs
  • 1 Post By MrCougs

post #1 of 5 Old 08-05-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

919 tear down and rebuild/refinish results

Hi Guys!

Over the past three months or so my girlfriend and I tore down a 2006 919 completely (had the engine hanging from a hoist and the frame in our basement) and rebuilt it from the ground up. Was a great project. We wanted to thank the forum community in general, as we referenced posts quite a bit, so THANK YOU, and also figured we would share the almost final result:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...ncyYUthWDNPaFk

Just needs a bit a license plate wiring, bar ends and rear pegs.

The paint scheme was an accident. I originally was going for flat black with red stripes, messed up, started sanding and fell in love with the 'worn' look and red highlights that bled through. We did it all ourselves.

Pretty much all consumables and half the hardware was replaced or 'restored'. Most things that could be rebuilt were rebuilt. All new lines, cables, springs, hoses, brakes, rotors, pistons, levers, bars, fork springs, tires, seat, grips, pegs, engine parts, clutch, gaskets, plugs, wires, the list is damn near endless...

Anyway, thanks again for all the good content! Especially to the suspension guys, really helped set the bike up nice!

Hope you guys like it, and if there is anyone in the NorCal area here hit me up and we can go for a ride!

Charles
ewmin3m likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCougs View Post
Hi Guys!

Over the past three months or so my girlfriend and I tore down a 2006 919 completely (had the engine hanging from a hoist and the frame in our basement) and rebuilt it from the ground up. Was a great project. We wanted to thank the forum community in general, as we referenced posts quite a bit, so THANK YOU, and also figured we would share the almost final result:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...ncyYUthWDNPaFk

Just needs a bit a license plate wiring, bar ends and rear pegs.

The paint scheme was an accident. I originally was going for flat black with red stripes, messed up, started sanding and fell in love with the 'worn' look and red highlights that bled through. We did it all ourselves.

Pretty much all consumables and half the hardware was replaced or 'restored'. Most things that could be rebuilt were rebuilt. All new lines, cables, springs, hoses, brakes, rotors, pistons, levers, bars, fork springs, tires, seat, grips, pegs, engine parts, clutch, gaskets, plugs, wires, the list is damn near endless...

Anyway, thanks again for all the good content! Especially to the suspension guys, really helped set the bike up nice!

Hope you guys like it, and if there is anyone in the NorCal area here hit me up and we can go for a ride!

Charles
Very nice work and very impressive that you tore it completely down. The mostly black with traces of red looks great!

post #3 of 5 Old 08-05-2016, 05:10 PM
Centurion

Garage
Great job! Bike looks clean as hell I guess you didn't film the process did you? Do a massive time-laps of everything.

One question, you mention you replaced most of everything really, did you replace them with OEM parts the things that you couldn't rebuild? What was the total cost for the tear down ?

This is one thing I'd love to do with my 9er but I would need a garage and second bike. Can't go bikeless for even a day.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-11-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks guys! Sorry for the delayed response, busy work week.

I did not do a time lapse, which is kind of sad because I have a gopro and could have easily set it up. Next time .

So, tear down and reconstruction was not that bad in terms of labor and technical complexity, you can more or less figure everything out from Partzilla.com explosion diagrams and grab the torque values and various details from a service manual.

Money wise though, it can be pretty darn expensive depending on what you need/want to do. I needed to replace just about all typical consumables as well as do all the work for the 'restoration' part, AND the previous owner had mussed up all sorts of things, so I spent a hell of a lot more than I was initially anticipating. I will not make any money off of this, but I learned a lot so I guess that counts for something haha. Here's a breakdown:

Tools
I own a whole bunch of auto tools already, all the standard stuff, this is what I needed to add to my collection:

- large size socket set (1-1/2" etc) - $20
- special socket for steering stem nut - $37 (ebay)
- Stockton chain breaker tool - $40 (50% off at cyclegear)
- Pistol puller - $25
- (4) jack stands for 'creative support' - $80

Supportive Materials
I had to build an engine hoist, I made a frame out of 2x4's and rigged up a 1-ton chain lift from harbor freight. Not cheap, but fun and most of the things besides the wood and screws are re-usable project to project.

- wood - $70
- screws - $20
- hoist - $30
- chains, threaded rods, etc - $40

Official Honda Parts
I did purchase all official Honda parts form Partzilla.com for the most part, mostly due to convenience considering I needed hundreds of one-off type things. Without listing them here (it would be impossible to remember), I'll just say, I'm a perfectionist and my goal was to take a 2006 919 and return it to a 'like-new' condition (within reason) by replacing broken and overly worn parts. My bike had 30,000 miles when I got it, it had spent a lot of time outside, lump sum was:

- OEM hardware, gaskets, plugs, wires, grommets, washers, bolts, hoses, lines, cables, etc etc etc - $700 total

Things from that list that I can remember:
- brake lines (SS)
- throttle cables
- clutch cable
- fuel lines
- some coolant lines
- some vacuum lines
- completely rebuilt both rear sets
- all visible hardware that was corroded
- rebuilt kick stand
- rebuilt shifter and rear brake
- master cylinder parts
- plugs and wires
- water pump gasket and o-ring
- frame bolts
- rear caliper piston
- seals for all pistons and various caliper parts
- choke cable
- every spring I could find
- all kinds of bolts and screws and crap like that
- more that I can't remember

Paint
If you want details on painting just ask, I spent a hell of a lot of time learning to prep properly, apply properly, cure properly, etc. You can do some pretty awesome stuff with basic VHT cans if you take the time do things right/have way to cure the paint.

- Frame paint, POR-15 base and top coat, 2 pints - $40
- Textured black - Rustoleum truck bed liner, 6 cans - $60
- Flat black - VHT engine enamel, 6 cans - $60
- Red - Duplicolor candy apple red, 2 cans - $20
- Clear coat, for all black and red colors except frame, VHT matte clear wheel paint, 6 cans, $60
- Radiator and muffler paint -VHT header paint matte black, 3 cans, $30
- (2) cans of VHT roll bar and chassis for misc - $20
- (1) can of VHT caliper - $10
- (4) cans of VHT primer for as needed - $40

Stuff you probably don't have to buy, at least not all at once (hopefully)

- Front and rear rotors
- Front and rear pads
- Chain
- Tires
- Renthal bar
- New levers
- New seat
- Fork springs and seals
- exhaust wrapping
- Turn signals
- Wiring to fix messed up integrated taillight and license pate lights
- Rebuilt entire headlight (previous owner destroyed the first one trying to make some sort of custom projector thing that mostly just killed the battery)

Sorry for the length, tried to keep it short. If you want any specifics let me know!

Charles
ewmin3m likes this.

post #5 of 5 Old 08-11-2016, 04:18 PM
Centurion

Garage
Epic project so probably $1000-1500 in total on just the repaint and rebuilding parts. Of course without the big things that you have in the last list.

Did you take the engine apart and went over it or was it more or less just exterior things?

Why not go with a more "interesting" paint scheme? since you were doing it from scratch? The blue from the Canadian models is real nice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode