919 CAD Project, Who Wants To Help? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 32 Old 10-29-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Talking 919 CAD Project, Who Wants To Help?

Hey everyone. For my design capstone project for my CAD 280 class, I picked to replicate a Honda 919 with all the part files and assembly file in CAD. The project requires that there are to be at least 100 unique part files, and I figured that wouldn't be a problem because there are multiple parts in the foot pegs alone.

One problem is that I sold my 919, so I do not have one to see in person and take rough measurements. It does not have to be an exact replica, just good enough so that the parts fit together and the project is distinguishable.

My first step is getting some rough dimensions of the frame so I can start piecing together more parts onto it.

So who wants to take some rough measurements for me so I can start making the part file for the frame? I have an image attached to this post where I need the general dimensions so I can kind of wing it. You can get me more dimensions if you want. If someone wants to be more precise for me, that would be awesome! Angles and such are not necessary, as long as the length measurements are accurate enough, the angles would come out fine, and I can always adjust later if something doesn't fit. Measurements in inches please.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg frame2.jpg (172.4 KB, 20 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 10-30-2011, 02:19 AM
Tirone

I really don't have time to be measuring my bike as I'm a student myself, but good luck! I remember using Autodesk Inventor in high school and it was really fun. Played around with the idea of going into engineering myself but once I looked into it it really wasn't my thing. After becoming an education major I really left all that stuff behind, but it's fun to go back and mess with the newest cad programs every once in awhile.

If you havn't really started on the project you could always do your f4i, but I can see where the 919 could maybe be easier in the long run. Or, if you're willing, you could always kind of make your own bike just based off of another bike, so you could have some creative freedom with it, but that's only if your professor is ok with it.

meh, it will come out nice either way!

post #3 of 32 Old 10-30-2011, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Yeah I haven't started the project yet, even though we were supposed to start a long time ago haha. I was going to stick with the 919 because of the more simple design and you can see a lot more parts. The swoopy fairings and stuff would be really difficult to produce, but there are also a couple difficult parts to do with the 919 like that.

Hmmmm...no you have got me thinking if it would actually be easier doing my f4i instead. The fairings and headlight assembly would probably be the hardest to do, and I would have to just take off my fairings to get some more measurements

Nah I'm going to stick with the 919 because I can basically just measure a lot of my f4i parts and throw it onto the 919 because they have very similar parts and then I still wouldn't have to make the weird irregular shaped fairings.

post #4 of 32 Old 10-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

The advantage to CAD is you can do pretty much anything you want: it doesn't even have to make sense, just produce an identifiable part or assembly.

As an example below is a frame and the extrusion paths knocked out in my CAD program in about 20 minutes.

All you really need is some basic dimensions off of pretty much any motorcycle to get the proportions right and let your imagination play with it!

Working in inches? How 19th century of you.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAD frame 1.jpg (37.3 KB, 38 views)

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #5 of 32 Old 10-30-2011, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
As an example below is a frame and the extrusion paths knocked out in my CAD program in about 20 minutes.
Rob
I know you are pretty familiar with the CAD program and know your way around it...so why not make this project for me? Hahah You have like 7 more weeks to get it done.

I agree with CAD being great with being able to make quick adjustments. I figured with some quick rough dimensions, it would help me stay in the ballpark of where I need to be. I still have a lot to learn with the program. I am probably going to end up winging the entire project haha.

And yes, I asked for inches, because I figured it would be easier for people to get dimensions for me. I will probably make my project in something else because of the amount of small parts.

post #6 of 32 Old 10-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
I know you are pretty familiar with the CAD program and know your way around it...so why not make this project for me? Hahah You have like 7 more weeks to get it done.
No sweat, but I think there are some ethical problems in there somewhere! And it goes without saying: HIT THE GROUND RUNNING!
Quote:

I agree with CAD being great with being able to make quick adjustments. I figured with some quick rough dimensions, it would help me stay in the ballpark of where I need to be. I still have a lot to learn with the program. I am probably going to end up winging the entire project haha.
Perfect! One thing you have to consider is if you are designing a naked bike you will need to draft up a motor for it, the reason why most "concept bikes" are completely enclosed in some sort of body work. This is no problem for me (I've designed several complete engine / trans packages), but if you are not intimately familiar with the inner workings the motor will not look right to the detriment of the whole project. If you are insisting on a naked a single or L twin are the easiest to draft, but it still has to look right or you're dead in the water.
Quote:

And yes, I asked for inches, because I figured it would be easier for people to get dimensions for me. I will probably make my project in something else because of the amount of small parts.
I was yanking your chain there. When designing my TharBars it was in inches because the machine shop preferred it, but for exporting to, say, New Zealand, I also have it completely in metric. Any units will work, even miles believe it or not.

Good luck, and PM me if you have any more detailed questions.

Rob

On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #7 of 32 Old 11-05-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Alright, finally started the project, and it's already giving me a headache. 5+ hours alone in just getting the frame constructed. Had to make sure the frame was as accurate as possible so I can just make the other parts fit onto it. I still have some modifications to the frame before I can move on.

Doing the best I can without having a 919 to observe in person haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (214.1 KB, 22 views)

post #8 of 32 Old 11-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Alright, finally started the project, and it's already giving me a headache. 5+ hours alone in just getting the frame constructed. Had to make sure the frame was as accurate as possible so I can just make the other parts fit onto it. I still have some modifications to the frame before I can move on.

Doing the best I can without having a 919 to observe in person haha.
You should powder coat it before you add any more parts

post #9 of 32 Old 12-09-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Alright, time to get down to business. Project is on overdrive...and it's not going to turn out very accurate haha. Here is a progress photo. I have to complete the project in 3 days!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (226.6 KB, 13 views)

post #10 of 32 Old 12-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Rich

3 days? I see you may be staying up a few nights ...

post #11 of 32 Old 12-09-2011, 12:55 PM
CB900

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
You should powder coat it before you add any more parts

I come from the land Down Under, Where the women blow and the men thunder!!
post #12 of 32 Old 12-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Engineering is probably one of the last educational routes that truly weeds out the unintelligent and lazy.

Ill be curious to know how you finish young man!

post #13 of 32 Old 12-12-2011, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1nine View Post
Engineering is probably one of the last educational routes that truly weeds out the unintelligent and lazy.

Ill be curious to know how you finish young man!
Oh well thanks, lol.

How do I finish? By doing a half assed job. One of the requirements is to have at least 100 unique parts. He said, "as long as I can tell what it is."

Needless to say, I'm not going to be completely satisfied with my end result, but it will be fun still.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (253.7 KB, 13 views)

post #14 of 32 Old 12-12-2011, 04:37 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Oh well thanks, lol.

How do I finish? By doing a half assed job. One of the requirements is to have at least 100 unique parts. He said, "as long as I can tell what it is."

Needless to say, I'm not going to be completely satisfied with my end result, but it will be fun still.

Is that an Ohlins shock? Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiceeeeeeeee.

post #15 of 32 Old 12-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Rich

Quote:
Oh well thanks, lol.

How do I finish? By doing a half assed job ...
Just a little curious. Why did you take this class ?

post #16 of 32 Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT View Post
Just a little curious. Why did you take this class ?
Because I kind of enjoy working with CAD programs, and it's needed for the CAD degree.

I just am bad with time management, and started the project way too late in the semester. It didn't help that my online professor isn't very motivated, and didn't tell us exactly what the project was supposed to be almost a quarter of the way through the semester. Then after barely telling us what the project needed to be about, he didn't give us the requirements or grading rubric of the project until the last quarter of the class. With this and because I am bad at my time management, I now don't have enough time to get my project done the way I want, especially with other multiple final exams I have to take.

post #17 of 32 Old 12-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Rich

Quote:
I know you are pretty familiar with the CAD program and know your way around it...so why not make this project for me? ...
While I'm not trying to give you a hard time, if you are considering doing this professionally (CAD degree and all), you really need to re-think your focus and priorities.

After spending 30+ years in engineering (electronic & sw), I can say without much hesitation that your current approach will not work for you.

post #18 of 32 Old 12-12-2011, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT View Post
While I'm not trying to give you a hard time, if you are considering doing this professionally (CAD degree and all), you really need to re-think your focus and priorities.

After spending 30+ years in engineering (electronic & sw), I can say without much hesitation that your current approach will not work for you.
I was joking when I said "Why not do it for me," I was trying a little sarcasm. Of course I wouldn't want someone else to do my project. 1, it's dishonest and 2, it I want to do the project myself. As for my time management, yeah I have to work on that so I am able to put forth my best efforts.

post #19 of 32 Old 12-13-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
This project is kicking my ass. I wish I started sooner because the further I get in the project, the more I'm wanting to do an awesome job. Unfortunately, the end product isn't going to impress me. Project is due tonight...I'll be turning it in a day late...at maximum...hopefully. Lesson learned.

I've been so exhausted the past few days. Finals, reviews, CAD, studying. There needs to be more time in the day.

Oh...and I decided to use Tharbars for my niner...I hope you don't mind, RobTharalson. This way I get an extra part out of the handlebar!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (210.8 KB, 26 views)

post #20 of 32 Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 PM
JJRZ350

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Frame PIC

Just a PIC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 919-FRAME-zoom.jpg (39.2 KB, 8 views)

YAAWZZU!!!

post #21 of 32 Old 12-14-2011, 06:47 AM
hooligan on the 919

Quote:
This project is kicking my ass. I wish I started sooner because the further I get in the project, the more I'm wanting to do an awesome job. Unfortunately, the end product isn't going to impress me. Project is due tonight...I'll be turning it in a day late...at maximum...hopefully. Lesson learned.

I've been so exhausted the past few days. Finals, reviews, CAD, studying. There needs to be more time in the day.

Oh...and I decided to use Tharbars for my niner...I hope you don't mind, RobTharalson. This way I get an extra part out of the handlebar!
I want those rims on my 9'er!!
let us know how the project turned out. i hear ya on finals beating the shit out of you. being a history major doesn't get a lot of respect from engineer types but the amount of lengthy research papers due in a 2 week span is insane!

post #22 of 32 Old 12-14-2011, 07:31 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

Good luck bro!

post #23 of 32 Old 12-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
As long as a lesson is learned that's what education is for. It's actually looking pretty good!
Quote:

Not a problem. In fact I'm glad I could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-man View Post
I hear ya on finals beating the shit out of you. being a history major doesn't get a lot of respect from engineer types but the amount of lengthy research papers due in a 2 week span is insane!
History major? Yikes. The only major that requires more writing is Poli. Sci. but come to think of it they overlap quite a bit. I'm glad I'm through with all that.

Rob

------- Rob --------
post #24 of 32 Old 12-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Tirone

It's looking good so far Toast! I havn't used autodesk in a long time, but it looks better than anything I've mocked up. If you have any other finals good luck on those too, I've still got a bunch of papers to turn in my self, not to mention my Philosophical Science exam in the morning!

post #25 of 32 Old 12-14-2011, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Thanks.

Oh an Rob...you haven't seen my engine yet hah...I don't even think you can call it an engine. We haven't learned that much 3d modeling...so the tank, the seat, the engine, and the cowl are not going to look so hot. :P

post #26 of 32 Old 12-14-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Alright...it's starting to stray away from looking like a 919...lol. Some weird alien bike in the works. Oh well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (287.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (267.7 KB, 9 views)

post #27 of 32 Old 12-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Tirone

Meh, looks decent enough for me. If they havn't taught you enough to be able to copy the parts then that's on them, I'd say you should just have some creative freedom with it and design it how you like. Where's the fun in copying stuff!?

Last time I messed with autocad was when I took "engineering" in highschool, so we pretty much just made obscene objects and said "hey look, I put a wood texture on it!"

post #28 of 32 Old 12-14-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmo89 View Post
Meh, looks decent enough for me. If they havn't taught you enough to be able to copy the parts then that's on them, I'd say you should just have some creative freedom with it and design it how you like. Where's the fun in copying stuff!?

Last time I messed with autocad was when I took "engineering" in highschool, so we pretty much just made obscene objects and said "hey look, I put a wood texture on it!"
Lol that's funny.

Yeah, we have creative freedom. He said, as long as I can tell what it is. So I'm straight. I just wanted to make a 919, and now it's coming out like the 919's ugly sister hahaa. Oh well, this is kind of fun.

post #29 of 32 Old 12-15-2011, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Don't laugh. I have a lot of learning to do...particularly 3D modeling...and time management haha. This is my final product, I don't have any more time to do a better job.

Doesn't look like a 919 anymore...but it sure does look like some alien muscle sport bike hahaha

Now to create the presentation files and all the other crap.

Good night...in an hour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (275.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (256.1 KB, 10 views)

post #30 of 32 Old 12-15-2011, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Just realized I'm missing a bunch of major components...like the chain and exhaust. Oh well. Aliens know what they are doing. :-P

post #31 of 32 Old 12-15-2011, 04:28 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

lol good job, bud. Reminds me of the 'General' insurance commercials lol. Not to take anything away from your hard work.

post #32 of 32 Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Hahahaha, yeah you're right. Does look like something The General would ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode