Winter Gear - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 12-15-2016, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Winter Gear

I just went for a ride, and I was cold after like 3 minutes. I was able to survive my trip to school last winter when it was 20 minutes of 30mph winds, but now it'll be 40 minutes of 70+ windspeeds. I've never had any heated gear, so I was curious to know what people are currently using and their experience with heated gear, particularly in regards to the 919's power capabilities if possible. I intend to be able to get a heated jacket and gloves, if the bike can handle that draw. I suppose I'd like to get some kind of wind breaker pants that could be easily slipped on. And lastly, I need something to do a better job covering my neck....I have a balaclava but it seems like the air passes right through it and my chin ices up real quick.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-15-2016, 01:22 PM
Discen

I bought a Gerbings heated jacket and the thermostat. The Gerbings seemed expensive to me but they're very well made and, in the end, worth it. I ran wires directly to the battery (with an inline fuse) exiting the left side panel so I can wear the thermostat on the left side. I've had no problems with it. With the jacket (as a liner), my leather jacket and leather overpants with long johns, decent gloves and Alpinestars boots, I do well with temps down into the 20's.

My resistance to cold has dropped a lot as I've gotten older. In my teens/early 20's, I rode with temps in the teens and somehow survived. I chalk that up to stupidity as much as anything else, lol...

I also made up a cigarette lighter adapter wire to the plug into the Gerbings connector that I use to charge my phone while it's in the tank bag. Can't do both at the same time but I can plug my phone in whenever I stop and give it a boost.

post #3 of 5 Old 12-15-2016, 02:28 PM
Princeps Prior

I run heated grips , jacket, pants and gloves on the 919. I have replaced the signals and taillight with led to help with the draw. No problems thus far

post #4 of 5 Old 12-15-2016, 08:52 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
I just went for a ride, and I was cold after like 3 minutes. I was able to survive my trip to school last winter when it was 20 minutes of 30mph winds, but now it'll be 40 minutes of 70+ windspeeds. I've never had any heated gear, so I was curious to know what people are currently using and their experience with heated gear, particularly in regards to the 919's power capabilities if possible. I intend to be able to get a heated jacket and gloves, if the bike can handle that draw. I suppose I'd like to get some kind of wind breaker pants that could be easily slipped on. And lastly, I need something to do a better job covering my neck....I have a balaclava but it seems like the air passes right through it and my chin ices up real quick.
What gear are you wearing? If you're already wind proof, a good base layer helps a lot. The Freeze-out stuff from Cycle is surprisingly good. And the Schampa Chin guard is the best at keeping the wind off my neck without getting in the way. Pair that with the Respro Foggy and your nose will stay warm and you'll never have to worry about shield fogging. Thick wool hunting or fly fishing wader socks (if you have room in your boots for them) work quite well. As far as the heated jacket, Gerbing quality has suffered since the buyout by Gyde. I'd look at Warm and Safe (or FirstGear built by Warm and Safe) or Gordon's which is the original Gerbing family. I can do a heated base layer but frankly it's too time consuming to compete with the Chinese kids. Everybody's heated gloves are made in China or Pakistan except for Gordon's which is made out of quality deerskin by Churchill Glove Co. Wait for it - but nobody offers a Gore Tex heated glove which is where I come in. I can add heat to virtually any glove provided there's enough room for a thin liner.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-16-2016, 06:46 AM
The Cripple

My suggestion is to try the heated jacket first. I've found that you can ride for significantly longer when your core is warm. Your extremities can handle the cold for longer before you become uncomfortable or lose function.

A quality pair of winter gloves as Ken mentioned and a quality pair of over pants will also help a lot. For 40 minutes, try the heated jacket, quality non heated winter gloves and over pants. Also water proof boots if you don't have them. Then from there you'll be able to figure out if you need heated grips, gloves, and/or heated pants.

As to the balaclava, you'll need to find one made of a material that the wind don't go through. Don't pick wool or cotton. Cycle gear has some great and cheap balaclava that work really well. Just be careful of the seams.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode