Whim #2 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Whim #2

I shouldn't be allowed in Cycle Gear......went in on Saturday just to look around for the Hell of it and $700+ later I finally left the store

I tried on a pair of these and I couldn't believe how comfortable they felt.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...AR_3404-0380_G

When I got home I walked around the house for an hour or so with them on and experienced no discomfort whatsoever. Again I'll have to wait until Spring for a ride report but I seriously doubt I'll have any problems.

Also grabbed these (plus a bunch of other crap I really don't need)

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...m=HEL_82-416_G

I had originally planned on buying hard luggage for my trip West in July but when I saw these and was pleasantly pleased with the quality I grabbed them. Another factor in my decision is that I primarily just pleasure ride with few and far between long/adventure rides thrown in so I decided the occasional trip style bags made more sense.

They fit nicely on the 919 but right up against the Carbon Sato's....I am a little concerrned about the heat issue due to there being no heat shield to speak of on the bags so I'm trying to come up with a solution in that regards. I have a couple ideas but am more than open to susgestions if anyone feels so inclined.

The bags seems to have a nicely laid out style that should hold quite a bit of stuff and they come complete with a rain cover for suspect weather. They also have 4 attachment points for an optional duffle bag that would fit on the passenger section. I held off on buying that for the moment as that area will probably be filled with a sleeping bag and tent.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Now I'm confused.....Reading the web site description it states that there is a "heat shield" built in on the lower section of the bags when I thought wasn't one. Now I'm going to have to take a closer look when I get home to see.

post #3 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Nice purchases Mark!

post #4 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Also grabbed these (plus a bunch of other crap I really don't need)

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...m=HEL_82-416_G

I had originally planned on buying hard luggage for my trip West in July but when I saw these and was pleasantly pleased with the quality I grabbed them. Another factor in my decision is that I primarily just pleasure ride with few and far between long/adventure rides thrown in so I decided the occasional trip style bags made more sense.

They fit nicely on the 919 but right up against the Carbon Sato's....I am a little concerrned about the heat issue due to there being no heat shield to speak of on the bags so I'm trying to come up with a solution in that regards. I have a couple ideas but am more than open to susgestions if anyone feels so inclined.

The bags seems to have a nicely laid out style that should hold quite a bit of stuff and they come complete with a rain cover for suspect weather. They also have 4 attachment points for an optional duffle bag that would fit on the passenger section. I held off on buying that for the moment as that area will probably be filled with a sleeping bag and tent.
You should get a refund on those saddlebags and go for some wolfman luggage! Made in the US and tough as nails. Look at the Alfa and Beta series. Easier to waterproof your contents and holds tons more than standard saddlebags could. Plus, I use mine as a kickass duffel whenever I need one.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=13423

post #5 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

dogs, if you just asked ... there may be some of us that have Givi and softbags for your use.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #6 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Nice purchases Mark!

Thanks Mike, but can you call my wife and tell her that? That's why I'm not allowed to go into store like that on my own.....last time I was allowed in Circuit City unsupervised I came home about 5k lighter and losta new electronics....

post #7 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
You should get a refund on those saddlebags and go for some wolfman luggage! Made in the US and tough as nails. Look at the Alfa and Beta series. Easier to waterproof your contents and holds tons more than standard saddlebags could. Plus, I use mine as a kickass duffel whenever I need one.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=13423
Hmmmm, not familiar with that brand, other than the made in U.S.A. part (of which I like) what would the main differences be? They look to be amazingly similar but the Tourmaster Coretch seems to be pretty substantial quality wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
dogs, if you just asked ... there may be some of us that have Givi and softbags for your use.
It's because sometimes I get bored and lose control! I'm lucky I didn't drop a couple grand when I was there.

post #8 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
It's because sometimes I get bored and lose control! I'm lucky I didn't drop a couple grand when I was there.
I understand. I have a Cycle Gear within 30 minutes from and do very well there. They actually carry a decent inventory for a small place. Latest purchase were D606's at a huge discount ... brought the rims in and they mounted and balanced for me on the cheap.

They usually have a great clearance selection.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #9 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Hmmmm, not familiar with that brand, other than the made in U.S.A. part (of which I like) what would the main differences be? They look to be amazingly similar but the Tourmaster Coretch seems to be pretty substantial quality wise.

The wolfman has put some serious research time into his product line. He has a degree in textile manufacturing, but instead of going in to clothing design, he used those skills to design some of the best made moto-specific luggage I have ever experienced. The duffels are all compression style so that once packed, you can cinch all the contents down nice and tight where they cannot shift during the ride. Opening a single main compartment zipper reveals the whole shebang. I used those extra large ziploc bags to pack all of my clothes and anything else that I did not want to get wet. Each of his bags has multiple buckles and straps for nearly any attachment configuration you can come up with. They do not hang nearly as low as traditional saddle bags, so they are much better for bikes with high pipes (ala 919). The channeled center keeps the weight low and tight to the bike.

No I don't work for him, but after meeting him in person and seeing how dedicated he is to our sport, I will support that business any time I can.

post #10 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 06:12 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Nice pick ups, I ran my Givi soft bags against my Ti Sato's and never had a problem with em. I think I will be picking up some of the wolfman bags to complement the topcase on my VFR, unless I get some Givi hard bags

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #11 of 19 Old 02-09-2009, 06:34 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

dDogs, dont mind the ball bustin. I've been sportin that same set of bags non-stop for the last 7000 miles... they rock for daily use. I only take mine off to wash the bike.

post #12 of 19 Old 02-10-2009, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post
dDogs, dont mind the ball bustin. I've been sportin that same set of bags non-stop for the last 7000 miles... they rock for daily use. I only take mine off to wash the bike.

Sweet!

post #13 of 19 Old 02-10-2009, 07:51 AM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Turns out I needed to only go one topic further for some good info - thanks to those that posted up in both places for this retard right here.

So many choices! Looks like I'll have to break out the ol spreadsheet and do the comparo. dadogs, do you happen to know the part number for the optional duffel?

post #14 of 19 Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedeGopher View Post
Turns out I needed to only go one topic further for some good info - thanks to those that posted up in both places for this retard right here.

So many choices! Looks like I'll have to break out the ol spreadsheet and do the comparo. dadogs, do you happen to know the part number for the optional duffel?

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...tem=HEL_82-411

post #15 of 19 Old 02-10-2009, 08:42 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Suede - let me know if you have any questions about that setup. I've got both pieces.

post #16 of 19 Old 02-10-2009, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post
Suede - let me know if you have any questions about that setup. I've got both pieces.

Are you running Sato's? With or w/o heat shields?

post #17 of 19 Old 02-10-2009, 10:13 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Stock exhaust with shields... no concerns regarding temps or melting.

post #18 of 19 Old 02-10-2009, 03:20 PM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Looked some more at the Wolfman - it does have the size you would need - but how did you guys attach all your other gear (sleeping bag/tent) to that bad boy?

At lunch, checked out the Cortech stuff at my Cycle Gear - it is pretty nice stuff, but doesn't look to be as spacious (tank bag) as this one...which I thought might be a good thing if I wanted to attach a tent/sleeping bag. Though I guess it depends on how much this one compresses. Ridge, you get a discount on these yet due to your fine salesmanship?

post #19 of 19 Old 11-01-2009, 05:36 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

i've got the same bags, been running them w/ d&d's w/o any problems. even after the 715 miles in 1 day back from the dragon with no melting on anything

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode