Which GPS - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Which GPS

I'm thinking about picking up a GPS to mount on my handlebars. I have looked at some of the Garmin motorcycle GPS systems but they're all fairly expensive. I was wondering what other people use and how it works?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 AM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I normally use my cellphone (Samsung Captivate running CyanogenMod 7). I do need to get a clip on style mount as in full sun it gets too hot (I have it in a WP bag)and stops charging off my powerlet plug, but with the traffic updates it's far more useful than my wife's garmin nuvi 760, which is pretty accurate. You have to pay extra for maps and traffic with the garmins, which is a load of bull in my opinion (Yes I know the maps can be gotten for free, but that's a lot more work than I'm willing to put into something like this). I will also say that I like Google Navigation on my phone better than Garmin's version, from a strictly aesthetics point of view.

If you've already got a phone that has GPS and mapping capabilities built into it, I'd suggest saving some coin on a device and just get a mount and power. Most people will never need the higher accuracy of dedicated GPS devices, and this way you can listen to music at the same time, if you're into that sort of thing.

post #3 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 06:07 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I am sporting a Garmin Quest. You can pick them up on eBay for next to nothing. I'll see if I can find the photos I've posted here before...

Found it.
https://www.wristtwisters.com/f27/gar...unt-19466.html

It is on the bike outside right now so if you want different angle photos, let me know and I'll go take some pictures.

I said it was cheap, right? Under $85 with shipping...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-Quest-Poc...item3a66bc5387

The handlebar mount is under $15.

It doesn't have any fancy features like bluetooth, but it will map routes, give you visual directions, and has a neat little digital dashboard that I use in place of my speedo. It's also waterproof.

Press Any Key To Continue.

post #4 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Tirone

I got a garmin 755 of e-bay for $100 buck and a handlebar mount. It works great.

post #5 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 08:29 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asraiil View Post
I normally use my cellphone (Samsung Captivate running CyanogenMod 7).
yay a captivate user that mods their phone! i take it you know of the xda forums then? i thought about running cyanogen mod but i just like the phoenix roms so much! currently waiting for mosaic 4 to drop so i can upgrade to that rom from phoenix 5.2.

how accurate is your gps? do you use the navigate mode or do you just leave it on the open map interface?

post #6 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
yay a captivate user that mods their phone! i take it you know of the xda forums then? i thought about running cyanogen mod but i just like the phoenix roms so much! currently waiting for mosaic 4 to drop so i can upgrade to that rom from phoenix 5.2.

how accurate is your gps? do you use the navigate mode or do you just leave it on the open map interface?
I do visit the xda forums, mostly just to troll for info, I don't contribute much there. I will if I have an answer to a question or a bug, but that doesn't happen often. I did post up my build.prop once I figured out which lines to fix so I could watch my netflix, since none of the easy fixes seemed to work for me.

I think my GPS has actually gotten better since moving to CM7. On stock eclaire it was a ridiculous feat to get a lock while standing still in an open field. Some of the Cognition Froyo builds were a bit better, and I used Axura as well, which seemed ok, but now I get locks that put me in the general area pretty consistently. It's definitely not at the same level as most other modern phones, but it works for me in a pinch. When I'm in the car I actually use the car home app (Set to autolaunch on my stereo's BT connection), and then I just use the maps function in there without setting a destination or anything. For some reason in that mode it uses the same interface a Nav, which is the way I prefer it.

I think the thing that really gets my goat is that the GPS in my wife's dinky HTC Aria kicks my sweet Captivate right in the gonads, and then calls it a bitch. I mod her phone with unstable ROMs out of spite for that!

How's your GPS? I've heard that some build dates don't have the GPS problems at all, some do to a little degree, and some are just completely unusable.

post #7 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 10:31 AM
The Cripple

asraiil, i'm the same as you when it comes to xda. the only thing i've contributed so far were donations for the roms i really liked. axura worked really well for me and it really improved my GPS issue (same as you, couldnt get a lock worth a damn), but wasnt perfect. i loved axura (this was before phoenix or CM7 was available). i then upgraded to phoenix 5.2 and love it even more. gps better, but still not perfect. it irrates me that such pos phones such as the one you describe or my fiancee's pos droid has better gps than i do, but i digress.

i thought about upgrading to CM7 but there's just too much that could go wrong for me, and i'm not a pro at flashing or modding. i feel more comfortable being able to flash roms that are clockworks capable for better peace of mind. the only consistent issue i keep having regardless of what rom i use is the lack of wifi. for the life of me i cannot connect to any wifi. if i'm lucky it'll connect once to a specific location, then after that it just sits at "obtaining network" would love to use wifi if i could.

any apps or programs you highly recommend? for the captivate? i noticed you said you're streaming netflix. could you do me a favor and check to see if captions/subtitles are available??? i stopped being a netflix subscriber a long time ago because captions were not available on streaming.

how do you mount your captivate, power it, and keep it water proof while on the bike if you dont mind me asking? looking to do a trip next month and cant justify buying a gps for the bike if i can use the captivate instead. share details!!!

post #8 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Hmmm, if you ever feel up to it, CM7 can be loaded through clockworkmod, it's just that you'll have to go all the way back to stock via odin 1-click. Then you just download the CM7 full nightly, and it'll proceed pretty easily (At least in my case, YMMV!). I believe CM7 puts you on a new version of clockwork, 3.2.somethingorother, instead of 2.5.1.2.

I've used My Tracks to keep tabs on where I've been, Runkeeper for when I go for a jog, but mostly Pandora, Trillian, and a few games (PewPew2 being my current favorite). When I'm stuck on a flight I'll watch movies using Rockplayer because it supports .mkv files. I've gotten into the habit of ripping all my movies to a server I have at home, and I use freemake to shrink them down to phone size. Oh yeah, I also use Camera360 for picutes, mostly because the stock app on CM7 kinda blows, but it still lets you do HD video recording.

As far as the mounting goes, I'm still working on that. I ordered the SW-Motech GPS mount for the Triumph Tiger (I think, I'll have to check) as it's a direct fit for the 919, just pop a few bolts out of the handlebar clamps, and you're off to the races. It'll accept a huge variety of RAM mounts and such, I accidentally ordered the large SW-Motech GPS bag (swear I clicked on the small one!), so my phone is inside there since it's waterproof and the touchscreen is usable through the plastic. I also use it for the GPS, since it fits in there too. The big SW-Motech bag is way too huge, it covers up my turn indicators so I have to lean forward to see if I've cancelled the stupid things. I'm thinking about going to a click-in style mount for the phone and GPS, but I'm a little leery of buying something for this again as I seem to have horrible luck on the sizes of these things. I do like the idea of the bag, and it does work well at keeping water out, but it also keeps heat in. when my cappy gets too hot it stops charging, and when I have the gps going it gets pretty warm. other devices might not have the same problem.

For Power I have a line running from the battery up under the seat to a fuzeblock, with switched power running to a powerlet plug I mounted on the handlebars. I have to say I've been a little underwhelmed by my powerlet plug. I love the idea, but I dislike that my plug does not want to sit in the socket properly. I lose connection to the battery all the time and have to "jiggle" the stupid thing way too often. I may ask for an RMA or something for the socket.

If you guys want pictures of the SW-Motech mount with the bag on and the powerlet socket or fuzeblock, I can get some when I get home and post them up.

post #9 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 12:12 PM
The Cripple

yes, i would LOVE pictures as well as links to the mount and bag as well as the socket. the sooner i can place an order on something, the better. i'm looking to leave after the 4th of july so time is of essence for me lol. love the idea you got going on and would like to give it a try.

thanks for the heads up on CM7. didnt know they turned it into clockworks flashable! the last time i looked at it (its been a while), they had a long series of steps you had to go through and i just wasn't up for it. i always revert to stock via 1click odin before i flash something new. reduces the possibilities of having problems with the newly flashed rom. i'm just paranoid that way. dont want to soft brick the captivate to the point where i gotta make or buy a ubs jig heh.

post #10 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Dear God.....I feel even more stupid than usual after reading this thread.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #11 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Dear God.....I feel even more stupid than usual after reading this thread.
Lol, slight derail huh?

I use C7 as well on my Incredible. Works awesome. I would like to set up some sort of a mounts system for my phone as well, or at least get a tank bag with a clear pouch on top.

Pvster, if you want to use Netflix but still want captions, then just get the DVD in the mail and use DVDFab or something to rip the movie with subtitles. Then you can use VLC or something to play it with (on a computer, anyway). Not sure if Rockplayer on the phone can play subs.

We do this and get a DVD almost every other day. But then again, I have a 5TB RAID 5 server at home, so I have like 400 movies ripped to my server, lol. I watch what I want, when I want. And 15-20 movies a month for $8 ain't bad at all.

Back to post at hand, I have a Garmin. It's been unused since we got our Anroid phones with Google maps. Only twice has the google maps not been accurate, but that's been in newly developed areas in Idaho, which probably doesn't get updated very often due to our low population.

If you can, I say get GPS on a phone. That way your limiting your gadgets down to just one, as it will do GPS, Phone, Internet, MP3, etc. all in one. And can be charged from a USB port, so a powerlet adapter off the battery to a cigarette plug would work just fine.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #12 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 03:06 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I have a Garmin 60CSx and purchased the USA map separately. It's main purpose is for hiking, but with the maps, it's as good as any road GPS. Supposedly it's water-proof to 1ft, but never tried that. I have ridden with it exposed to rain and no problems so far. The handlebar mount is easy to get a hold of too. Check it out:

post #13 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Here's my setup. I've got a garmin nuvi 760 in the WP bag. The last two pics are of my fuzeblock setup. I have plans to add one or two more powered items, which is why I went with this setup. Oh yeah, and the bag is frickin huge. If you get an SW-motech bag with the mount, get the small bag!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C360_2011-06-08 18-28-30.jpg (250.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg C360_2011-06-08 18-28-46.jpg (231.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg C360_2011-06-08 18-29-30.jpg (223.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg C360_2011-06-08 18-30-00.jpg (217.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg C360_2011-06-08 18-30-34.jpg (236.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg C360_2011-06-08 18-31-34.jpg (235.1 KB, 8 views)

post #14 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 05:35 PM
The Cripple

very nice, i like it! any links on where i can find the mount, bag, and socket? how do you keep the socket waterproof?

post #15 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I got the mount and bag from twisted throttle. I believe it's this one: TwistedThrottle.com : SW-MOTECH Vibration-Damped GPS Holder (Triumph Tiger 1050, '07-) - GPS.11.458.10000.B

The socket has a door that closes over it when not in use, and the connections all have rubber boots on them, not entirely sealed up, but I haven't had a problem yet, which has been a few months of riding with it. The socket I got from Powerlet Products - Rugged power outlets, cables and electronics
I basically just got the low profile mount and a couple of cables.

post #16 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 PM
The Cripple

awesome, where's the bag option? what bag size/option do i choose?

post #17 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

there's a bag option on the page for the mount. unless you want the hugantor bag, I'd get the small one. I haven't seen it, but it can't be anywhere near as huge as the one I got... you can also get mounts for a couple of different garmins on that page.

post #18 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Tirone

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Instead of sifting through all that BS ill just use a map and explore

post #19 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 06:53 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1252 View Post
Instead of sifting through all that BS ill just use a map and explore
riiiiiiight.... not exactly feastible when ur going across country with limited time, or gotta get to a specific inner city desination in a city you dont know.

post #20 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Batman

i use this and love it.

Universal Golf GPS Mount | Bracketron

mount by velodesign, on Flickr

gotta pick up another one though as my first one snapped off when i flew off my ride and landed in the mud.

i use an htc evo, it rocks pretty good and now that i carry the extended battery in it along with a powerpod and stock battery in the tailbag when i go on trips...i dont need to run a power lead im good for a solid three days worth of gps, music, browsing, and bluetoothing...even though i did install weatherproof cig socket on the 919 and carry the charger just in case

Plug mount by velodesign, on Flickr

Plug mount 2 by velodesign, on Flickr

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #21 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 10:55 PM
The Cripple

Asraiil, how much room do you have in the bag you use now with your cappy? is there enough room for you to plug it in and leave it plugged in? i ask because the smaller bag is just slightly bigger than my otterbox case which means it'll be a tight fit, not sure if i'd have room to plug it in and leave it plugged in while riding. what are your thoughts?

also, how does the bag disconnect from the mount?

post #22 of 22 Old 06-09-2011, 01:41 AM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

there is a bunch of room in the larger bag. I actually have all the excess cable running up in there with the phone. As far as disconnecting the bag, well it's not a quick release system at all. It's 4 screws that go through the bag into the mount. pretty secure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode