Weird visor splat in cold weather - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 10-31-2008, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Weird visor splat in cold weather

Hey all. Don't know why, but when I decided to retire my 7 year old Arai, I cheaped out and bought a (full face) modular helmet made by Vega. Overall I'd rate the helmet a C to C minus.
Anyway, this past week my early morning commutes have been in temperatures around freezing for the first time with this helmet, and I'm having a problem I've never experienced with any of my previous full face Arai's. About 5-10 minutes into the ride I'll be moving down the interstate at about 80-90per and suddenly there will be a splatter of moisture droplets on the *inside* of the helmet visor. Damn annoying at speed, and something I don't care to look through for the rest of the ride. I've tried adjusting the chin vent both open and closed. For these temps I have not opened the vents above the visor near the crown....hey, it's 33 degrees out there!
The helmet is stored at room temp during the day, and at night. I'm guessing this is a condensation problem, but I'll be d*mned if I can figure out where the water is coming from. Seems that if there was a build up being retained somewhere it would evap during daily storage. The problem does not happen during the 60 degree ride home in the late afternoon.
Any ideas about where this is coming from, and what (other than opening the top vents) I can do about it?

"First You Fly, Then You Die!"--Los Lobos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-31-2008, 05:34 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Buy a Respro Foggy breath guard. Your Vega probably does not have the same venting abilities to evacuate your breath. It's a cheap and non-chemical solution to fog, and condensation.

post #3 of 9 Old 10-31-2008, 05:43 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Sounds like you're dealing with the anti-fog lens that the lid has itself. instead of fog you get actual moisture droplets, and that is just the nature of the beast.

I have a killer Shark lid for sale if you'd be interested. Size large and Fits the same as Arai.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-31-2008, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Ridge, do you think the Respro will work in a modular helmet where the chin bar is raised to put on the helmet? I haven't seen one of these Respro units in person and it's a little hard to tell from the pictures.

Ripper, I appreciate the offer. But in following with my cheap approach, I'm trying to avoid buying another lid, at least for a season or two. I've probably got $25 in relective stickers alone on the helmet (non-transferable!)

post #5 of 9 Old 10-31-2008, 07:58 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamperman View Post
Ridge, do you think the Respro will work in a modular helmet where the chin bar is raised to put on the helmet? I haven't seen one of these Respro units in person and it's a little hard to tell from the pictures.
The Respro Foggy attaches to the helmet at three points. Velcro patch up front where your mouth is and two additional patches on the cheek pads under the straps. You would be able to leave the front velcro attached, but it might pull away from the cheek pads every time you raise the front.

post #6 of 9 Old 10-31-2008, 08:49 AM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Make sure that you are storing it with the visor up , and in a high place. THat has helped my helmet

post #7 of 9 Old 10-31-2008, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
The Respro Foggy attaches to the helmet at three points. Velcro patch up front where your mouth is and two additional patches on the cheek pads under the straps. You would be able to leave the front velcro attached, but it might pull away from the cheek pads every time you raise the front.
Hmmm. This could be problematic.
An email to the Respro people for compatibility info would do the trick.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-31-2008, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmadawg44 View Post
Make sure that you are storing it with the visor up , and in a high place. THat has helped my helmet
Never thought of this. I'm afraid I've been spoiled by owning Arai's for over 20 years. Never owned a modular before, either.

I'll try this and see if it helps.

post #9 of 9 Old 11-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Discen

I've never had it with my KBC modular. Ridden in 20-110 degree weather. No issues.

2006 Honda 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode