• 1 Post By Ken Phenix

post #1 of 4 Old 12-15-2016, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

"WATERPROOF" GLOVE LINERS EXPOSED

Why do so called waterproof gloves begin to leak after a while? Is genuine Gore Tex worth the price? You bet it is. I've examined several gloves and have been shocked at what I've found inside. Here are some examples of proprietary "waterproof" liners such as aquatex and hipora. They are little more than sandwich bag material which deteriorates and tears over time. The last photo is a Gore Tex insert which is actually bonded to the glove's inner lining - waterproof AND breathable and obviously more durable.

That's why all my gear is Gore Tex. I've often wondered why a bona fide Gore Tex heated motorcycle glove doesn't exist in the market - except here.

When I started my PHENIX FLAMING HOT HEATED MOTORCYCLE GEAR facebook page, people from China sent me messages trying to sell me these cheap, I mean pennies, waterproof glove inserts. Here's one from Hipora.

Here's an old Olympia glove with their Aquatex liner. The fingertips have worn right through.

Here's a no-name glove. Notice the rip at the wrist and the stitching right through the liner on the fingertips!

And this is the ultra thin vinyl I found inside a Gyde/Gerbing glove.

Now look at this genuine Gore Tex liner I removed from a military glove. The difference is dramatic!
LDH likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-15-2016, 09:41 AM
Josh

Garage
Wow. That is amazing. Thanks for the visuals, though I'm sure there are some OEM's that are gonna be mad about it. I've tried several of the cheap waterproof linings, both in gloves and in jackets, and they really are junk. I will not even bother with those Hypora, Drystar, etc. liners in the future.

Do you have any conjecture about why there are not goretex heated gloves other than yours?

post #3 of 4 Old 12-15-2016, 10:25 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Well I guess that explains why my first gear "waterproof" gloves that worked sooooo well for 9 months now fill up with water when it rains, i was assuming it was leaking in around the cuff.
Good thing they weren't expensive

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Dan

post #4 of 4 Old 12-15-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdavis984 View Post
Wow. That is amazing. Thanks for the visuals, though I'm sure there are some OEM's that are gonna be mad about it. I've tried several of the cheap waterproof linings, both in gloves and in jackets, and they really are junk. I will not even bother with those Hypora, Drystar, etc. liners in the future.

Do you have any conjecture about why there are not goretex heated gloves other than yours?
Well it isn't that Gore won't allow it. There is a Gore Tex heated motorcycle glove available in the UK and Cabela's sells one made by Gyde but it isn't leather so no crash protection. It's north of two bills too. Otherwise, Gore's licensing procedure is rigorous. You can't just buy the inserts. Glove makers must commit to production requirements and submit prototypes, etc. That makes sense considering the lifetime warranty. My integrated liner system doesn't disturb the outer glove or the warranty. If a Gore Tex glove that I've added heat to ever leaks, we just yank the liner and send the outer glove in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode