Vest v Gloves (heated) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 09-23-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Vest v Gloves (heated)

I want to go heated this winter and have been thinking of getting a vest with the idea that keeping the core warm will result in bearable extremities. With that said, my fingers are the ones first to go numb.

Should I get the vest and keep using the insulated gloves or skip the vest and get heated gloves?

Insert ND4s SoCal comment here _____.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-23-2012, 04:30 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

If you're thinking about a vest, just go for the full jacket liner, there's not alot of difference in the draw and it will make a BIG difference in your comfort. On top of the liner, you could either go with heated gloves or heated grips. I have heated grips and would not trade them for the world. I've used them on not too cold days just because I have them and it's nice to take the edge off. If it's really cold I'll turn them onto high and they're wonderful! The back of your hands will chill but it's not too bad. (I'm talking in the mid 30's to mid 40's) If you have to choose only one I'd vote for the jacket liner. Hope this helps.

post #3 of 10 Old 09-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I would get the jacket liner first, try that with your favorite winter gloves, then if you can't take it, get some gloves later.

Part of the reason is I think the gloves would be awkward without the jacket sleeves to plug them into (another good reason to get the jacket liner and not the vest). I think you would need a controller and a Y connector and the wires would be flapping around.

I got both at the same time and man is it nice when the temps start dipping.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-23-2012, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Thanks for the replies! I'll look into jacket warmers. Anything will be an improvement over previous winters I'm sure. The only reason I was thinking of the vest was a sale I saw for firstgear and a coupon I had for mcss. Now that I think about it, the extra 20-30 for sleeves are probably well worth it!

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #5 of 10 Old 09-23-2012, 06:11 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I have Gerbing's jacket liner and LOVE it, I bought it last fall. I would also check out Powerlet's new line of heated liners, they sould really nice.

post #6 of 10 Old 09-23-2012, 10:54 PM
The Cripple

Hey Andrew, heated jacked all the way! It allows you to build towards heated gloves as opposed to a heated vest. I don't have heated gloves yet, but I'm glad I got the heated jacket first as its increased my riding comfort on those 33-34 degree wet days (as well as colder weather) immensely! Keeping the core warm has made it much easier for me to endure cold hands.

Get a heated liner hands down!

post #7 of 10 Old 09-24-2012, 01:11 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Same here. I would feel the cold wind on my upper arms. The full jacket seems a better value than the vest since it comes with the Y-cord for gloves built in. That said, I actually use the heated gloves (mid 40's) twice as often as the jacket liner (mid 30's) which I wear anyway just for the Y-cord. Below 30 I also pop in my heated insoles. Everybody's different but my legs don't seem to get cold. Otherwise, if you're going to get only one heated item, do the gloves. You can always layer up your torso - ya can't do nothin' about frozen fingers.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-24-2012, 03:12 AM
Tirone

I bought both a heated jacket and gloves together. Small saving on shipping getting them at the same time (to australia). I'd say get both if you can stretch the budget as i found if i only had one item heated, i really wish i'd connected up the gloves/jacket coz u notice the cold a lot more where there's no heating.

If u can really only get one... Get the jacket coz when u want to upgrade to heated gloves, it wont seem so expensive

post #9 of 10 Old 09-24-2012, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Any recommendations for jacket liners that have the controls built in (like first gear) but also have gloves liner hookups? The first gear has the controls and only requires a direct line to the battery but they only sell heated gloves. (Trying to keep my Olympia gloves with the squeegee)

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #10 of 10 Old 09-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Silent but Deadly

Firstgear Warm And Safe Mens 65 Watt Heated Jacket Liner, Black - Compacc

This is what I have. You need to use a heat controller with this liner but it heats up very fast. I have the first gear glove liners and they work great together as a pair. I already had a good set of winter gloves and didn't want to spend the 180 on a new pair of heated gloves.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode