Vanson Leathers - sad day for formerly reputable firm - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 38 Old 09-28-2006, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Vanson Leathers - sad day for formerly reputable firm

Vanson Leathers - sad day for an formerly reputable firm

In response to the complaint that loose and shifting armor within the sleeves of the brand-new-model leather motorcycle jacket produced protruding “sails” between the shoulders and elbows which caused the new Honda 919 once-stable motorcycle to shake from side to side at speeds greater than 75mph, the first-floor vice-president for Vanson Leathers thrice incredulously stated, “Our products cannot be guaranteed when you exceed the speed limit.”

Even stability safety issues? “When you exceed the speed limit, yes.”

He was reminded that the two factory seamstresses who had only just inspected the week-old jacket were in complete agreement that the billowing from the loose armor would cause “additional steering” which would be, (understatement here), undesirable, and that the repair would take less than thirty minutes.

For the fourth time the vice-president declined responsibility for the loose armor and restated, “Our products cannot be guaranteed when you exceed the speed limit.”

Now what possible reason would a firm have for uttering such nonsense, declining a quick adjustment to a new product and alienating a customer (and those within earshot) which would negate decades of hard-earned otherwise spotless reputation?

Are they so broke that a 30 minute fix has become untenable?

Clinton (B7 and broke but rich)

b7 = balding, big-bellied baby-boomer back on bikes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 09-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Montana has areas where you can go over 75mph. I'm going to buy one of their crappy jackets and crash over there and sue em

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #3 of 38 Old 09-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Unbannable

If they don't take care of you I'm not buying anything from them ever again. I'll tell everyone I know too.

That's a BS answer. I hope he loses so much business that he thinks back on how cheap he was and could have avoided it by just fixing your jacket.

Vanson leathers aren't cheap either. If you pay that much for them they should be made right.

Edit: Idea! Lets make a list of names of people who will now boycot Vanson and send it to them with a letter saying it's a direct result of this incident.

I'll be the first to put my name to it. If it helps you fix your jacket.

post #4 of 38 Old 09-28-2006, 12:56 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

One of the many reasons that "Adjustable" or "Removable" are words that should not be associated with armour and motorcycling gear.

For a firm like Vanson, fixing such an issue should not require much thought. They are primarily a custom - and are not cheap. They rely a lot on their reputation.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

post #5 of 38 Old 09-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Let's not jump too hastily to conclusions here. I have never heard a bad word about Vanson products until this very moment. No offense to you cwross48, but you have 1 post on this forum, and to shake everyones tree makes me skeptical. What validation do you have other than your post?

post #6 of 38 Old 09-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Let's not jump too hastily to conclusions here. I have never heard a bad word about Vanson products until this very moment. No offense to you cwross48, but you have 1 post on this forum, and to shake everyones tree makes me skeptical. What validation do you have other than your post?
+1 That is one hell of a post, I would like to at least see a new thread in the intro. forum before slamming a manufacturer.

Personally, Iv'e been wearing Vanson leathers for the past 15 years without any complaints.

post #7 of 38 Old 09-28-2006, 01:29 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142 View Post
+1 That is one hell of a post, I would like to at least see a new thread in the intro. forum before slamming a manufacturer.

Personally, Iv'e been wearing Vanson leathers for the past 15 years without any complaints.
Valid points both, I am remise that I missed that.

WIM

post #8 of 38 Old 09-28-2006, 08:29 PM
2004honda919

vanson used to be made only in the united states.i believe if you check you'll find there now made in not the US.

post #9 of 38 Old 09-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

seen lots of the company's work, never had any myself but that statement about speeding...

first-floor vice-president for Vanson Leathers thrice incredulously stated, “Our products cannot be guaranteed when you exceed the speed limit.”

What about the suit's for racing, don't they make them as well?? I really don't know.. (WIM will tell me) Or is that a mute point cause they are gonna be made different anyways.. (Again here's your chance WIM)

Just me but that does seem abit far fetched for some one in that position (unless it is like the banks around here in charlotte where everyone is a Vice president of something) to make that blunt of a statement.

post #10 of 38 Old 09-29-2006, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

The original post is accurate in every way. It is, indeed, a sad thing when such tactics are employed post-sale of a new model jacket (US$650 with not-yet-available lining). Were this another fly-by-night shop somewhere it would not be an issue... certainly not worth more than a single rant posting to be dismissed as an isolated example of caveat emptor.

Rather, it is sleight-of-hand from a thought-to-be reputable highly recommended company whose on-going reputation should preempt such chicanery at every level.

Clinton (‘round long enough)

post #11 of 38 Old 10-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I'm thinking about picking up a Vanson Mark 2 CSRX to replace my 10 yr-old Hein Gericke leather. I love the clean look of the Mark 2 jacket.

Mike et al, are you guys still fans of the Vanson product line? I've checked http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/ and the Mark 2 CSRX gets really good reviews. Anyone else have this jacket or a similar one that can testify to its quality, durability, comfort, etc.?

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #12 of 38 Old 10-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

They take a lickin' and keep on tickin'
My only complaint is the leathers shrank with age.

post #13 of 38 Old 10-27-2006, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

At the behest Cycle World's Matthew Miles, Allen Slavin at Vanson was contacted this afternoon. It turns out that he is THE vice-president who four times stated (paraphrased now), "Vanson does not guaranty its products past the speed limit."

Mr. Slavin, with his elephantine memory, recalled that the problematic jacket sported sleeves that were too long. He declared that a leather jacket sleeve, when hung loosely at the side, should stop before the wrist bones. He was reminded that on this particular jacket the sleeves are not too long; rather, the sleeves are the perfect length.

He suggested that the jacket be returned and a different brand jacket purchased elsewhere. Alternatively, he offered to custom manufacture a jacket for a custom price that would fit the "Vanson Way" (except, it is imagined, for the sleeves!).

No offense, Mr. Miles, (and thanks for trying) but the acquaintance of yours at Vanson is not riding on the same roads as his customer.

When the riding season further cools (it was 31ºF this morning!) the otherwise decent (if comparatively expensive) jacket will be taken to a leather seamstress for alterations and Vanson Leathers will considered only as an afterthought as another once-reputable customer-oriented US firm that lost its customer base through the arrogance of inattention. Pity.

Thanks again, Mr. Miles, for your time and consideration!

Clinton (Bates, perhaps...)

post #14 of 38 Old 10-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I can say they have been great to me. Visited their showroom in Fall River and had a custom track suit made. I'm not the easiest to size and fit, but they did a great job. My only complaint ... The f'n thing is heavy and thick with a long a$$ break-in. I absolutely love it and it's my fault for not riding enough to break it in properly.

Now, only if this other custom leathers guy I'm trying can come through for me!!!!

post #15 of 38 Old 10-27-2006, 05:43 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

I don't know much about leathers but I would imagine that a $650.00 jacket is not for cruising but for some serious riding and as such it should have all the latest and the greatest protection known to men.

WIM, not to piss on your cheerios but "Adjustable" & "Removable" amour, if done correctly, is the best thing that can happen to a suit or jacket. As stated on another thread, Teknic top of the line suit come with adjustable knee/shin and elbow armour via a velcro liner as they understand that not all arms are the same length.

Without really knowing why was that jacket bought for or the specifications for said jacket, it is hard to say whether cwross48 with only 1 post is trying to stir the pot or has a valid point.

post #16 of 38 Old 10-28-2006, 05:06 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

3 out of 5 total posts from cw48 are this one. In his public profile he lists a '06 919 as his bike. Perhaps that's why he choose WT to vent his anger.

post #17 of 38 Old 10-29-2006, 08:10 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post

WIM, not to piss on your cheerios but "Adjustable" & "Removable" amour, if done correctly, is the best thing that can happen to a suit or jacket. As stated on another thread, Teknic top of the line suit come with adjustable knee/shin and elbow armour via a velcro liner as they understand that not all arms are the same length.

Whatever mang! You always piss on my Cheerios, that's why I eat Bran Flakes now...

I hate... okay, no, I don't hate.... I disagree with you on this I'm afraid. When it comes to safety - adjustable armour is not the way to go. You absolutely DO NOT want your armour being able to move in your suit. The difference in arm lengths and such can be measured in millimeters when you go across a range of suits. Manufacturers use almost one size armour in adult suits. It will either extend enough to your Carpal / Wrist bone or stop just short of it. And also, not to disparage such manufacturers as Teknic, but you do not see Dainese or SPIDI advertising adjustable armour - there is a good reason for that.

Even in a high end custom suit like Z Leathers or Helimot, the armour is not adjustable. I appreciate something custom made is different - but... one of the primary reasons is that an accident is not the time to find out your velcro failed or your liner moved, so your elbow made contact with the road. One of the main reasons for such a feature is to save cost.

I hope you still like the glove...

post #18 of 38 Old 10-29-2006, 08:18 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

And just to answer the question or issue of a suit being made to JUST withstand the legal speed limit is absolute hogwash! If that is the case, then get out of the business. They do make suits for racers and they are well respected and their suits get a lot of praise. For this VP to say this is almost a dis-service tot the name they have built.

If you have a design flaw, just change it. A over size arm or part of a jacket is just that - nothing to do with speed limits. At 55 to 100 MPH, I do believe the difference in flapping would be relative. I can appreciate him admonishing someone for going over the speed limit, etc. Or actually excercising some motorbiking knowledge by indicating that speeds in excess of 75 MPH on a naked bike is "Hail Mary" territory and could possible cause a lightened front end.

post #19 of 38 Old 10-30-2006, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

"... speeds in excess of 75 MPH on a naked bike is "Hail Mary" territory and could possible cause a lightened front end."

The 2006 Honda 919 (the closest thing discovered to the 1971 CB750 and the 1980 CBX) regularly travels at 120mph during the early morning weekday commute. (Despite the posted signs the de facto speed limit in Massachusetts is 80mph... naturally a motorcycle has to exceed the speed of SUVs, gravel trucks, etc.!)

When a Joe Rocket jacket is worn the cycle is completely stable at 120mph. The Vanson jacket sleeves induce wobbling and steering concerns at 75±mph.

For the uninitiated, what does the number of posts have to do with validity?

Clinton (39 years of motorcycle riding, ferchrissake)

post #20 of 38 Old 10-30-2006, 07:17 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwross48 View Post
For the uninitiated, what does the number of posts have to do with validity?
We have seen all too often a newbie shows stirs the pot then vanishes into cyberspace, never to be heard of. No one is questioning your validity.

post #21 of 38 Old 10-30-2006, 08:28 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwross48 View Post
"... speeds in excess of 75 MPH on a naked bike is "Hail Mary" territory and could possible cause a lightened front end."

The 2006 Honda 919 (the closest thing discovered to the 1971 CB750 and the 1980 CBX) regularly travels at 120mph during the early morning weekday commute. (Despite the posted signs the de facto speed limit in Massachusetts is 80mph... naturally a motorcycle has to exceed the speed of SUVs, gravel trucks, etc.!)

When a Joe Rocket jacket is worn the cycle is completely stable at 120mph. The Vanson jacket sleeves induce wobbling and steering concerns at 75±mph.
Clinton - I stand corrected then I guess. I was looking at this from an aerodynamic point of view. The rider on a naked is in the wind, and I am suggesting that a more intelligent response from a bike apparel manufacturer would be something like that, not that their gear is not warranted for speeds above the speed limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142 View Post
We have seen all too often a newbie shows stirs the pot then vanishes into cyberspace, never to be heard of. No one is questioning your validity.
What m51142 means is that don't be like Brit-A-Tit-Twit! Stick around.

post #22 of 38 Old 10-30-2006, 10:00 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51 View Post
I hope you still like the glove...
What gloves? all I got in the mail was a torned logo of a bird of some sort... Is that what I am posed to be looking at?

Oh and CWROSS48... what m51142 said

I would still like to know the whole story about it but, oh well.

post #23 of 38 Old 10-30-2006, 10:12 AM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I'm think he should just do a few more biceps curls and tricep pushdowns to fill up the loose/flappy sleeves.

post #24 of 38 Old 10-30-2006, 10:22 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
I'm think he should just do a few more biceps curls and tricep pushdowns to fill up the loose/flappy sleeves.
That's an idea...

post #25 of 38 Old 06-09-2007, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Some positive notes:

1. after nine months the half-price deposit for the jacket liner was returned, indicative that Vanson Leathers is still able to settle with its creditors.

2. on The Tail of The Dragon the abysmal speeds (37mph average) obtained while on a rented Kawasaki KLR650 allowed use of the jacket without negative wobbles (there were plenty self-induced wobbles the first few times through! Good Lord, what a road!).

3. during the week vacation the weather was kind enough (75 every day!) to allow the Vanson jacket to be stowed in its rightful place: the car trunk.

Clinton (still intoxicated)

post #26 of 38 Old 08-02-2007, 11:56 PM

I would be interested in finding out why they blamed the rider for exceeding the speed limit rather than finding out what was wrong with their product. You would think that a maker of bike jackets would want to know if their product is causing crashes before a death or huge lawsuit and also to improve the product.
I was considering buying a Vanson jacket but now am rethinking it especially as a 919 owner.

post #27 of 38 Old 09-16-2007, 06:44 AM

Vanson Leathers have done well by me.....especially in a crash

post #28 of 38 Old 09-16-2007, 06:59 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

How did you manage to wave at the camera?

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #29 of 38 Old 09-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
How did you manage to wave at the camera?
+1! What a cool pic! Hope you were ok.

post #30 of 38 Old 09-16-2007, 11:37 AM

Awards Showcase

BigTuna, that's a tough way of getting rid of the 'roids!

post #31 of 38 Old 09-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

I heard Charmin is a lot softer!! Did you do your Looney Tunes rendetion of "My biscuits are burning!!!" after getting up?

Shawn

post #32 of 38 Old 09-16-2007, 08:39 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

that's an awesome pic... probably once in a lifetime of being caught that very instant

post #33 of 38 Old 09-18-2007, 05:56 AM

I just wish the bike was in the background when he took the pic. the pic would have been more exciting if he got me when i hit the edge of the track...that was when the triple lindy began

post #34 of 38 Old 09-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Wow! Awesome picture! Let's see some pictures of your gear now.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #35 of 38 Old 09-20-2007, 07:50 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I have a Vanson jacket and sport pants which I had custom fitted and am extremely happy with them. My only complaint was the long wait time after ordering. As for flapping in the wind, this gear has the most resistance to wind flapping than any other gear I've ever owned. It fits like a second skin (which it should since it's a custom fit) and the quality is far superior to many other leather jackets and pants that I've compared them to.

Hopefully I won't be testing the crash worthiness, but I certainly feel better protected than when I've worn other gear.

Pricey stuff with a long wait but certainly worth the price particularly if your size is not an off the rack standard.

post #36 of 38 Old 09-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR919 View Post
I have a Vanson jacket and sport pants which I had custom fitted and am extremely happy with them. My only complaint was the long wait time after ordering. As for flapping in the wind, this gear has the most resistance to wind flapping than any other gear I've ever owned. It fits like a second skin (which it should since it's a custom fit) and the quality is far superior to many other leather jackets and pants that I've compared them to.

Hopefully I won't be testing the crash worthiness, but I certainly feel better protected than when I've worn other gear.

Pricey stuff with a long wait but certainly worth the price particularly if your size is not an off the rack standard.
FJR919's are #1 in quality and looks. Hey Chris, do you think they would fit me?

post #37 of 38 Old 09-20-2007, 08:07 AM

Awards Showcase

Definition of VANSONS: I've said it before. Great product ... longest freak'n break-in time!

post #38 of 38 Old 09-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
FJR919's are #1 in quality and looks. Hey Chris, do you think they would fit me?
If you have a 40-41 inch chest with a 31-32 inch waist, yep, they would fit. I'm pretty sure inseam and torso lengths would not be a problem (as we both know).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode