Under helmet headwear for sun protection, what do you wear? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 01-23-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Under helmet headwear for sun protection, what do you wear?

I've never worn anything under the helmet before, but it's clear that my new bluetooth earpods are going to be a PITA to put in. So I tried a T shirt and seems to solve the problem.

So, I see these things that tie at the back and cover the ears, I'm thinking a full face setup might be best, but I'd want something that light weight. Keeping body oil out of the helmet, keeping the ears pinned down while putting on and off, keeping the sun off the neck and nose...

Maybe something like those fire suit things you see race car drivers use.

When I search, I see these scull scarfs and bandanas, things like that. I'd like to see something that basically covers either the top and ears or the whole head with eye openings and be very lightweight like a Tshirt. Can't seem to find them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-23-2019, 02:58 PM
Tirone

Garage
Check out SA Company or Buff neck gaiters. They're super versatile and have a lot of ways to wear them, and you can get them in lightweight for sun blocking, or heavier for insulation.

post #3 of 13 Old 01-23-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah Wright View Post
Check out SA Company or Buff neck gaiters. They're super versatile and have a lot of ways to wear them, and you can get them in lightweight for sun blocking, or heavier for insulation.
Those look great, but it would be hard for those to stay up over the ears as you put on the helmet.

Basically, when you put on a helmet, the earpods get pulled out. Putting a material over your head first, helps a lot to keep them in place.

So a head cover made of poly/cotton blend should be great to pin the ears down and help the helmet to slid on.

I've found these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0TH9QNSX&psc=1

but IDK how tight they fit.

post #4 of 13 Old 01-23-2019, 03:26 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I wear a "heat-out" balaclava year-round specifically so that my helmet goes on my head, with headphones in my ears, smoothly. It holds them in place inside the helmet as well. It's made of a smooth material that the helmet just slips over. Plus, it's a lot easier to wash a balaclava than the entire inner liner of my helmet. I'm not really sure what you are talking about with sun protection as my helmet does a good job blocking the sun. I have a tinted visor for daytime and a clear one for night time.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/heat-out-coolr-balaclava

post #5 of 13 Old 01-23-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
I wear a "heat-out" balaclava year-round specifically so that my helmet goes on my head, with headphones in my ears, smoothly. It holds them in place inside the helmet as well. It's made of a smooth material that the helmet just slips over. Plus, it's a lot easier to wash a balaclava than the entire inner liner of my helmet. I'm not really sure what you are talking about with sun protection as my helmet does a good job blocking the sun. I have a tinted visor for daytime and a clear one for night time.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/heat-out-coolr-balaclava
Thanks, that looks great.

For some reason, your link doesn't work. They sell the product, but the link doesn't go to the product.
SKU: 1298283

Local store doesn't have them. 60 deg outside and they only have Winter stuff. Wow. Shipping costs about as much as the product costs, and they don't take orders over the phone. hmmm.

post #6 of 13 Old 01-23-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Well, since Cycle Gear won't let me order and ship to store or buy at the store over the phone or any other way... I bought from Amazon.

Not the same product, but I'll see how well it does. Cycle Gear basically doubles the retail price with their shipping, while Amazon shipping is FREE.

Think about that... Cycle Gear is going to have a tough time staying alive if it can't get it's $hit together. I want to support the business, but I'm not a fool.

post #7 of 13 Old 01-23-2019, 10:15 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Cycle gear is the wal-mart of motorcycle related items. They are doing fine. Surprised you're having an issue tho, store near me p much has everything in stock.

post #8 of 13 Old 01-24-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Cycle gear is the wal-mart of motorcycle related items. They are doing fine. Surprised you're having an issue tho, store near me p much has everything in stock.
Right now, they only have the Winter stuff in stock. In the valley of California, we don't really have a "Winter" but that's all they have in stock. They can't order more, they can't order over the phone and I can't ship to store.

It's really frustrating when this kind of stuff happens.

I just tried to buy something from Target and their system didn't see one of their stores, so they can't do a stock check and I can't add to card. I've worked in tech for a long time and it's just unreal that these kinds of screwup happen at this point.

post #9 of 13 Old 01-24-2019, 03:04 PM
Milites Gregarius

I wear a thermal one when it gets in the 30’s and low 40’s.

When it is chilly, but not cold, and I want to just block some wind. I picked up this one (pic) at Walmart.
It is Mossy Oak brand. It does not insulate, just cuts a bit of wind. Where it covers the mouth and nose, it is even mesh vented, for easier breathing.
I bought it in the fall with the hunting items, so not sure if they would still have it in stock.

Also got these super thin gloves.
They work great under your summer gloves for a bit chillier days to cut a little wind when it’s not quite cold enough for winter gloves.
I also put them under my winter gloves on really cold days to cut some additional wind.

Both were under $10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8C23CA37-1DC2-46CE-B6F4-4A9DB38B8868_1548370950438.jpeg (326.2 KB, 6 views)

post #10 of 13 Old 01-24-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC1978 View Post
I wear a thermal one when it gets in the 30ís and low 40ís.

When it is chilly, but not cold, and I want to just block some wind. I picked up this one (pic) at Walmart.
It is Mossy Oak brand. It does not insulate, just cuts a bit of wind. Where it covers the mouth and nose, it is even mesh vented, for easier breathing.
I bought it in the fall with the hunting items, so not sure if they would still have it in stock.

Also got these super thin gloves.
They work great under your summer gloves for a bit chillier days to cut a little wind when itís not quite cold enough for winter gloves.
I also put them under my winter gloves on really cold days to cut some additional wind.

Both were under $10.
I thought about those thin gloves as and add on when it gets cold. You basically wear your regular ones over those and keep them in the bag for whenever needed. Great idea.

post #11 of 13 Old 01-24-2019, 04:36 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Heated gloves are are the top of winter riding comfort

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #12 of 13 Old 01-24-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Heated gloves are are the top of winter riding comfort

I guess it depends on what you mean by "Winter". Winter in California is 60 degrees. I think it was last year or the year before where LA had 75 deg in the middle of Winter.

Today, I put on about 20 miles and it was just about right at about 60.

post #13 of 13 Old 01-24-2019, 06:50 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Yeah I guess u can get away with riding regular gloves. Gosh what I'd give for it to be 60 again. Out here it gets into the single digits, and at that point heated gear is pretty much mandatory.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode