Tinted Helmet Visors - Shoei Specifically - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 35 Old 04-20-2010, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Tinted Helmet Visors - Shoei Specifically

But everything else, generally. I normally rock sunglasses with a clear visor, but after getting a new pair, I figured I would treat them slightly better and get a tinted visor instead. My question: Dark smoke or light smoke...or other for the sun? Still in AZ, so the sun and I are well acquainted. I'll take my answer off air. Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 04-20-2010, 02:40 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I use one of these. Works real well and is anti-fog too (even in cold rainy days).

post #3 of 35 Old 04-20-2010, 03:10 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

dark smoke, light is too light. I also have a silver and blue and they are a little better once it gets dark. I wouldn't recommend to ride in any of the above after dark. Once I got stuck 2 hrs away after dark with tinted visor and no glasses. Long story short I always put clear visor in the tank bag if I ride in PM

post #4 of 35 Old 04-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I usually have the dark smoke on my Arai and a pair of clear safety glasses in the tankbag just incase I get caught after sundown without my clear shield.

Dan
post #5 of 35 Old 04-20-2010, 04:20 PM
CG

I use the light smoke. I like because it isn't too dark if it gets unexpectedly overcast.

If you never have to worry about cloudy weather or beinbg caught out after dark, dark smoke is probably great.

Of course, I'm one of those people who get really annoyed by people who wear sunglasses indoors or at night.

post #6 of 35 Old 04-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Sixty-9er

I have a shoei and I find the dark smoke to be a little lighter than other helmets I've had. Go dark. I wish mine was dark at time when riding west at say 6pm

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #7 of 35 Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Great advice, sounds like the consensus is dark, thank you, gents!

post #8 of 35 Old 04-21-2010, 06:02 AM
Part-time Hooligan

I also have a Shoei and I agree the Dark is the way to go for sunny riding. I had to were sunglasses with the light smoke if it was a bright day. Plus, if I'm being honest, the dark just looks cooler.

"You want to cripple the bastard? Send him a 130-mph cafe-racer. And include some license plates, he'll think it's a streetbike. He's queer for anything fast." Hunter S. Thompson
post #9 of 35 Old 04-21-2010, 06:35 AM
Cornicen

No one thinks those helmets with a clear shield and a 2nd dark inner visor is a good idea? Curious why they haven't caught on...

post #10 of 35 Old 04-21-2010, 07:01 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda ng gingsa View Post
No one thinks those helmets with a clear shield and a 2nd dark inner visor is a good idea? Curious why they haven't caught on...
My next helmet will have that...I like that feature a lot.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #11 of 35 Old 04-21-2010, 09:50 AM
The Cripple

+1 to shadow.... i wanted to buy one recently but $$ stopped me dead in my tracks.

post #12 of 35 Old 04-21-2010, 03:19 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I've always used the dark smoke shields. If you're riding after dark in areas where there's street lights you'll be fine, if you're in the middle of nowhere and only have the headlight, the dark smoke is a bit too dark.

post #13 of 35 Old 04-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda ng gingsa View Post
My first helmet (and still around for a spare) was a Caberg with a dark inner visor that flipped down. Loved that, but the helmet itself was the noisiest thing ever. Don't think it was because of the visor feature, though. Wish some of the higher end helmet manufacturers would wake up and start to include it on their helmets. Lord knows what they would charge for it!

post #14 of 35 Old 04-21-2010, 04:01 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
My first helmet (and still around for a spare) was a Caberg with a dark inner visor that flipped down. Loved that, but the helmet itself was the noisiest thing ever. Don't think it was because of the visor feature, though. Wish some of the higher end helmet manufacturers would wake up and start to include it on their helmets. Lord knows what they would charge for it!
some already are.. i cant remember the name but i know it was based in italy and started with an n, started out at around $465. but man i wanted it so bad, was a great non-lookin alien helmet with the flip down feature, fit just right for my egg shaped head...

but at $465 and being a college student... couldnt swing it

post #15 of 35 Old 04-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Dark and keep a clear spare in a backpack incase you're out and it gets dark.

post #16 of 35 Old 04-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Mud Dauber

Yes, what he said. I too have a Shoei and I sport the dark shield. I ride from out in the middle of nowhere to a 6 lane city street day and night and have never had a visibility problem. Here's a tip. Turn your Computer screen down on Contrast and brightness. You will find a marked improvement in overall site and vision after looking at it all shift. I recently bought an iridium gold visor to test out this season. I love it, great in the fog and dark. I is also slightly lighter than my Dark tinted one but blocks more glare, very cool, a bit on the spencie side but I say worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iridium visor.jpg (10.7 KB, 139 views)

"Never give up, Never surrender"
post #17 of 35 Old 04-21-2010, 05:56 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I should have included this in my earlier post, but so it goes...

I have a light smoke tinted silvered visor, but I rarely use it. It's nice for bright sunny days, and cuts the glare and yes I still wear my dark tinted oakleys under it. I don't like to be caught out after dark with it though...I feel like it limits my visibility after the sun goes down. I get lots more use from my clear visor...and I switch to my clear oakleys after dark too.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #18 of 35 Old 04-21-2010, 06:16 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I have a Nolan that has the drop down visor, I love it, it seems the Nolans aren't very popular. I plan to add the N-comm speakers and mic soon for music and cell phone calls.

post #19 of 35 Old 04-21-2010, 06:26 PM
road to success .. where?

I picked up an "HJC IS-max" last fall and love it. Its a modular with an internal visor. The extra material for the second visor adds a little weight but having instant shade is worth it.

post #20 of 35 Old 04-21-2010, 06:43 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I can't remember the manufacture of a helmet I saw last year at a local shop. The design had a standard clear visor and a inner dark smoke shield that slide down like a fighter-pilot helmet. Looked like a great function, don't know how it'd hold up against fog though...

post #21 of 35 Old 04-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I have a scorpion exo 1000 with the flip down inner dark visor and really like it.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #22 of 35 Old 04-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Tirone

i have an arai. and use a tinted insert called pinlock, never fogs up, at night i un clip it and store under the seat. works ok with a 30%tint outer visor as well (only for brilliant sun conditions)

post #23 of 35 Old 04-25-2010, 07:12 PM
FXS
Knees in the Breeze

Visor tint strip

Bought a visor tint strip that covers about 1 3/4" of the top edge of the faceshield.
BEST $12 I HAVE EVER SPENT.
When the sun is in your face just tilt your head down a little.
With the Arai corsair V there is enough of an opening that the tint does not get in your normal line of vision.
There were afternoon rides/routes I would avoid because of the sun...not any more.
Nothing to carry or pack , can't forget it , and you can reposition it or swap it if you get a new visor or helmet..................M

Never pick a fight with an old man..if he's too tired to fight, he'll just shoot you.
1979 H-D Low Rider (orig owner)
2009 K 1300 S (Lava Orange...the faster color)
post #24 of 35 Old 05-26-2010, 12:49 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

HH01-417:: Shoei CX-1V Spectra Shields :: MSRP: $69.99 :: Our Price: $64.99! In stock NOW!
I was thinking about going for this visor in mirror, and bringing my clear with me when ever I get cought after dark. Tried the sunglasses thing this morning and they foged up bad, even at 75mph+

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #25 of 35 Old 05-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Omnivore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf View Post
I have a scorpion exo 1000 with the flip down inner dark visor and really like it.
Second for the Scorpion EXO 1000. I just picked one up a few weeks ago and really like it so far. I also like the pump-up cheek pads as well. You can find them for right around $300.

Alan

post #26 of 35 Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Tirone

Great advice, sounds like the consensus is dark, thank you, gents!
post #27 of 35 Old 06-27-2010, 07:59 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Dont know if you bought the dark but I did end up gettting that Gold visor on sale at a cheaper price and it is great. Direct bright morning sunrise sunlight didn't even phase me. And midday sun was nothing.

post #28 of 35 Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 AM
Tirone

Dark smoke on all three of our helmets. Not much on night riding at our house.

Hobbies(Beating You)
post #29 of 35 Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
I've always used the dark smoke shields. If you're riding after dark in areas where there's street lights you'll be fine, if you're in the middle of nowhere and only have the headlight, the dark smoke is a bit too dark.
I keep a pair of clear safety glasses in my jacket pocket so if I get caught out after dark I can raise the shield and use those. I typically don't ride much after dark if I can help it so it works well for me. If I ever do intentionally go for a night ride I change out to a clear shield.

post #30 of 35 Old 02-23-2011, 12:33 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Still loving the Gold shield. I normaly carry my clear in a shield cover in the tank bag just incase I need to change it out. Take one minuet to change it out so it doesn't bother me at all. I always ride with my tank bag or a backpack so a clear shield is always with me

post #31 of 35 Old 02-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Seņor Calamares

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan919 View Post
I keep a pair of clear safety glasses in my jacket pocket so if I get caught out after dark I can raise the shield and use those. I typically don't ride much after dark if I can help it so it works well for me. If I ever do intentionally go for a night ride I change out to a clear shield.
+1. It is way easier to carry clear safety glasses around than a spare shield as a "just in case"

Shoei Dark Smoke is the one you want as a substitute for sunglasses.

post #32 of 35 Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Tirone

I have a Shoei with iridium gold, dark smoke and clear visors. I usually rock the iridium gold. It's the best in bright sunlight and doesn't seem as dark at night. I often ride at night with the iridium gold on and usually just close it 3 notches (still most of the way open). It cuts down on the noise and windsheer to the face while allowing me to have a clear view of the road ahead. I wear prescription glasses though and they've saved my eyeballs from many a rouge bug at night with the iridium visor on.

post #33 of 35 Old 02-24-2011, 05:27 AM
Tirone

I have a safty yellow shield that's supose to be good at night,but have yet to try it out.

Hobbies(Beating You)
post #34 of 35 Old 02-24-2011, 05:49 AM
Gets censored

Maybe Im jut wierd but Ive never had a visability problem with my dark smoke shoei shield day or night.

post #35 of 35 Old 06-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Maybe Im jut wierd but Ive never had a visability problem with my dark smoke shoei shield day or night.
Me neither. I won't ride with a clear visor at all, the risk of glare from a low sun is a bigger issue than night vision, which I find is barely affected., especially when you consider I very rarely ride at night.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode