Sunglasses... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Sunglasses...

I need a pair. A GOOD pair.

I've read that polarized is not good to have while riding? Due to it possibly hiding glare off frost/oil/water on the road?

Here are my issues:

1) They have to be comfortable, with helmet. First and foremost, I can live with a bit of fugly if they're fugntional.
2) I have a skinny face. I can even wear some pairs of kids' sunglasses and they fit perfect. This has made it even harder to find good glasses, most hang out WAY over my temples (then imagine what happens when I try and put them on inside my helmet)
3) I would prefer the ones that have pop-out lenses, for night-riding, etc.

Anybody have any ideas on where to start shopping? Preferences? History, lessons learned?

It should be noted I've always bought the cheapo $5 pair at the gas station, break them in a week. Repeat. I need GOOD sunglasses.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 04:29 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
I thought at first this belonged in the boob thread.

I got tired of replacing $7 welding supply shades every month. I looked for good cheap shades for years - good enough to fit well and cut the UV and cheap enough not to cry over when they get lost or broken. I settled on the Tifosi Vogel (under $40). I carry 2 pair. For bright sunlight I wear their EC (Extreme Contrast) lens and in overcast and winter conditions I pull out the EC Fototec version. They are as scratch as resistant as Oakley, lightweight, comfortable and give full eyeport frameless peripheral vision. Just remember the Fototec darkening feature doesn't work as well in summer heat.

Tifosi Optics Sunglasses - Vogel

post #3 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 04:35 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

I think you need to go hit up Sunglass Hut. Fit is very important.

I had a nice pair of Spy glasses back in '98, and I still have them. They have a rubber coating on the frame for non-slip, and have vents for anti-fog. Depending on the helmet, it'll fit some and won't fit others.

Also have a pair of Arnette Swinger, which fit great and should fit in most helmets.

I have a pair of prescription lenses in my Oakley Jawbones. These will have vents in the normal lens kit.

When you are hot and going slow, it would help to have vents.

I never had issues wearing aviators in my helmets.

My Jawbones are polarized, loved them for mountain biking and snowboarding since it can distinguish shadows on the trails, and moguls in the snow.

post #4 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 04:39 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Smith Optics makes sunglasses with interchangeable lens. You can go from dark/mirror, to light tint, to high-contrast yellow or orange for night. But like Shmoo says, fit is key and go to Sunglass Hut with your helmet.

Smith Products | SmithOptics.com

Click on each one and it'll tell you what kind of fit it is. Looks like Baseline and Whisper is what you're looking for. Whisper being the smaller of the two. I've own many pairs of Smith Optics, they're the bees knees.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #5 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 04:54 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Oh and about the cheapo $5 sunglasses. They'll do A LOT more harm than good... it doesn't block out the UV rays like the real stuff but fools your iris that it's 'dark' out and lets more of the UV in. You're better off without em... unless you're doing the rockstar night shades thing, then those will do.

If you want cheap, go to a reputable outdoor shop (REI, Cabellas, etc) and look at the house brands. They'll do the job right and still save from designers.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #6 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

All of mine are Serengeti's, I like the glare reduction of their drivers lenses.
Once you find out what fits your head check out sunglasses giant, good prices and usually free shipping
Discount Sunglasses | Aviator Sunglasses | Sport Sunglasses | Golf Sunglasses | Fishing Sunglasses | Sports Sunglasses | Sun Glasses | Man Sunglasses

Dan
post #7 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Princeps Prior

I used to use a pair of Maui Jim's with the bike. Loved them. Never had a problem. Big money, no problems with them. I have a helmet with a built in sun visor. Not as good as the Maui jims, but the fact that its built into my helmet is AWESOMEEE

post #8 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 05:22 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogunoogun View Post
I used to use a pair of Maui Jim's with the bike. Loved them. Never had a problem. Big money, no problems with them. I have a helmet with a built in sun visor. Not as good as the Maui jims, but the fact that its built into my helmet is AWESOMEEE
+1! i intend to get me the yellow sunvisor as well.

post #9 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 05:28 PM
no max no more

most important for me with a full face helmet is the stems have to be on the thin side to slid in easy ;;;;the cool looking thicker stems seems to make the glasses not stay close to your face when blasting down highway

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #10 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I think Sunglass hut is in our local mall, I'll have to go check them out.

I do have the Scorpion Exo 1000 that has the internal sun-shade as well. And it works OK, but the big problem I have with it, is if I'm riding slow speeds in town, and want the visor up but the shade down, it just whips wind right into my eyes, and I have enough problem with dry eyes as it is.

So that's partly the reason to have good fitting glasses; reduce a lot, if not most of the airflow to my eyes. I hardly ever have a problem with fogging, unless I'm coming inside from freezing temps.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #11 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Tirone

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
All of mine are Serengeti's, I like the glare reduction of their drivers lenses.
Once you find out what fits your head check out sunglasses giant, good prices and usually free shipping
Discount Sunglasses | Aviator Sunglasses | Sport Sunglasses | Golf Sunglasses | Fishing Sunglasses | Sports Sunglasses | Sun Glasses | Man Sunglasses
I'd say Serengeti as well, if you've ever worn a pair in their drivers tint then it would be unquestionable, the tint simply rocks. I've also tried their polarized rose tint, and it's good as well, but the drivers tint is just heaven.

post #12 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Princeps Prior

I have the hjc one, and i think it blocks alot of wind to the eyes. My eyes tear up if i leave the visor up without the sun shade. Ohh and pvster, let me check my motorcycle closet, i think i have a yellow visor. You have the hjc is 16? I never use the yellow. It came for free with the helmet. I think my parts guy at the local shop messed up

post #13 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Ginger-prick

I know just the ones!

I have these and LOVE them:
https://www.redstarworldwear.com/product/408
Looking through the brown polarized lenses makes everything so clear.

PM me and I will loan you my gift card code so you get them for like 13 bucks, shipped.

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.
post #14 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
I'll comment on the polarization - I've ridden with polarized glasses for years and years and never had issues spotting glare off ice, oil, slick asphalt, road markings or anything like that. It isn't as blatant with polarized lenses, but it's still noticeable.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #15 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Omnivore

I love polarized shades when riding... for me they cut the glare and reflections. I have always had good luck with Oakley... I have a pair of Straight Jackets now that fit well under the helmet. Check out the Oakley Fives if you are looking for a set that fit a smaller head.

post #16 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Princeps Prior

I have these in black. I love them. You spend big money on them, but they last a long time. And with Maui Jim, the customer service is great, and if anything goes wrong with the frame, FREE repair or replacement. And if the lens is scratched or broken or w.e, i think its about $50 to replace them

post #17 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Ginger-prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by acall View Post
I love polarized shades when riding... for me they cut the glare and reflections. I have always had good luck with Oakley... I have a pair of Straight Jackets now that fit well under the helmet. Check out the Oakley Fives if you are looking for a set that fit a smaller head.
I never realized what a difference polarization makes until i actually owned a pair.
For example, I got into my car to leave a parking spot once. I put on my glasses and as soon as I did the sun glaring off of the windshield of the car in front of me disappeared and I could see someone inside the car I couldnt before. I know they though I was an idiot as I was staring at them and taking my glasses on an off, astounded at the difference.

I also use polarized lenses on my paintball masks now. They make a huge difference in the woods, its easier to distinguish camouflage clothing from actual nature.

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.
post #18 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 09:25 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

GEEZ! SO MANY CHOICES! I'm goin' back to the oil thread.
post #19 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 09:32 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Just like high definition television!!!
HD Vision Glasses - YouTube

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #20 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Legal in 50 states

Garage
I wear glasses everyday, and each pair fits differently under different helmets. Your best bet is to take your helmet to the mall and just try on whatever tickles your fancy. Wear them around the store as you browse. just like shoes, every pair of glasses is going to fit differently, and you may not notice pressure points until you've had them on for a while.

It might also behoove you to take note of the store's return policy just in case you go with something that makes you nuts the first time you take them on the road.

My prescription sunglasses are polarized, and I can't stand wearing them under my helmet. The glare from the visor is atrocious, with my Shoei and my Scorpion. It's instantly noticeable, even indoors. Aside from the horrendous glare, I absolutely LOVE my polarized lenses. I just can't rock them with a helmet.

Just take your lid to a legit sunglasses store and try shit on. You'll find something that works.

post #21 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 09:48 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

goog3lit's gas station glasses
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sg.jpg (3.1 KB, 78 views)

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #22 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Princeps Prior

I wonder if prescription polarized sun glasses do that. I never noticed a glare with my non-prescription polarized sunglasses.

post #23 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 10:12 PM

Garage
I wear prescription sunglasses as well, and I don't get glare with my HJC helmets. I do get some color shifts due to the visor (see: diffraction) and sometimes stuff looks a little CGI due to how the lenses alter reflected light.

2002 Honda 919
post #24 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Legal in 50 states

Garage
To be fair, my non-prescription polarized sunglasses also bug me from behind a visor. It's likely that it's just my trusty astigmatism that is the root of the problem.

The up side is that if you're going to be affected by the glare, it'll happen instantly. I'm quite jealous of you cats that can wear polarized lenses under your helmets. So very, very jealous.

post #25 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 10:25 PM

Garage
Yeah, that's just plain odd - I've not heard of someone wearing polarized lenses seeing more glare after donning them and then placing a visor over them. Not saying you don't by any means, just that it's really odd.

2002 Honda 919
post #26 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
do we need to start a where did i put my balls thread?

post #27 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Legal in 50 states

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
do we need to start a where did i put my balls thread?

I'd bet his wife has them.

post #28 of 33 Old 03-31-2012, 12:58 AM
E Honda Streetfighter!!

These are what I wear, ballistic rated so if something hits the lense it wont smash into your eye .. pretty nice fit

WILEY X JAKE BLACK / GRAY LENSES AUTH. SUNGLASSES | eBay

post #29 of 33 Old 03-31-2012, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucilleBrawl View Post
+1

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #30 of 33 Old 03-31-2012, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
goog3lit's gas station glasses
That was before I had lasik .

Actually, I was only .25 astigmatic, with a hint of nearsightedness (.25 and .75). But the Lasik still helped a ton!

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #31 of 33 Old 03-31-2012, 08:16 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
That was before I had lasik .

Actually, I was only .25 astigmatic, with a hint of nearsightedness (.25 and .75). But the Lasik still helped a ton!
Yeah, if anybody is on the fence about vision correction - just do it. I got my first Rx lenses when I was 10. I hated contacts. By the time I was 30 I was -600 with astigmatism to boot. I had it done the old fashioned way (RK) in 1988 and have not needed Rx lenses since. I wonder how much $$ I have saved.
post #32 of 33 Old 03-31-2012, 10:49 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I have Oakley Whiskers. You can get them poloarized or not. I'm not sure if they still make/carry the A-Wire 2.0s but they were made with a skinny face in mind.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #33 of 33 Old 03-31-2012, 02:11 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucilleBrawl View Post

more than likely,doesn't matter tho he's never getting them back

(see-eunuch)

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode