Suits: JR Survivor, Tourmaster Centurion, Olympia Phantom, or Fieldsheer Cyclone? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 03-22-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Suits: JR Survivor, Tourmaster Centurion, Olympia Phantom, or Fieldsheer Cyclone?

I started a new job recently and thinking about a 1-piece suit for commuting (and other riding too) into a city, something that I can slip on over business casual clothes. I'm debating the Joe Rocket Survivor ($376), Fieldsheer Cyclone ($200), Tourmaster Centurion ($376) , or possibly the Olympia Phantom ($400). The 'Stich may be a great suit, but it's more than I want to spend. I live in the northeast so it will be worn with and without the liner, depending on the weather.

I ride a Bandit 1250 so I'm in a standard upright ride position. My build is slightly abnormal I guess: 5'9", 175 pounds, 44" chest, no belly, 32" inseam, and broad shoulders.

I really like the style of the JR Survivor but newenough tells me that it might not be the best fit since I'd need an XL to accommodate my chest and that would make the suit a bit too long. But I prefer gear that fits snugly, and do not want something I'm going to float in. They suggested the Tourmaster Centurion for a better fit. But the Cyclone suit is available from motorcyclecloseouts.com for $200 (is it a get-what-you-pay-for suit though)?

There's a ton of information posted here on the 'Stich and some on the Phantom, but not much on the others. And there isn't many reviews for these suits at the online merchant sites either. So I'm starting a thread to ask for feedback from riders that wear one of these suits. Interested in hearing about quality, durability, comfort, water resistance, armor, sizing, and ease of getting on and off. Open to suggestions on other suits too.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-22-2010, 05:14 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I havn't tried any of the one piece suits but can attest to Opympia's quality, I have a jacket and two pairs of pants and bought a jacket and pants for the wife too, quality is top notch. Try Revzilla.com, they have a pretty good return policy for Olympia.

post #3 of 10 Old 03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Go with Fieldsheer - Better Quality Management and materials used by them.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

I own the Fieldsheer in size M and it's a pretty good suit for cold weather commuting. I've worn in down to about 25 deg weather and stayed warm for the most part. If I'm out for an extended ride, my chest does start to get a little colder from the wind, but an extra layer of clothing helps with that. The warmth it provides does come with some extra bulk, but I felt that mostly when I was walking around rather than riding. For your build, a size L should work fine.

The suit sells for $200 only because it is discontinued - it usually retails for about $400. Materials quality is pretty good on the suit and I after wearing it through this past winter, I haven't noticed any loose threads or ripped seams. There's a lot of reflective material on the sides and back and armor in the back, shoulders, and knees and some padding around the hips. Getting in and out is pretty easy with a zipper that runs all the way down the front to the thigh. I haven't tested the water resistance yet. In terms of storage, there are 2 pockets located on the legs, 3 on the chest (including 2 just inside the front velcro flap), and 1 on the arm. There's also a neck protector that buttons into place. Overall, it's a really good buy for the price.

post #5 of 10 Old 03-22-2010, 10:02 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I really like my olympia gear. I have a jacket that I love, and a pair of mesh pants that are good in the summer but I wish I would have gotten a pair that's good for year round. If I ever decide to replace my current fieldsheer pants, I'll replace them with olympia.

Good luck with your decision Jim, I think you'll probably be happy with any of the choices you listed.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #6 of 10 Old 03-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila-RC51 View Post
I got a fieldsheer jacket and pants.... your statement is true their quality rocks... id buy from them again in a heart beat.

On a side note i need some knee pucks, i put a little hole in the knees of my pants today when i finally touched a knee down.

post #7 of 10 Old 03-23-2010, 06:55 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
I got a fieldsheer jacket and pants.... your statement is true their quality rocks... id buy from them again in a heart beat.

On a side note i need some knee pucks, i put a little hole in the knees of my pants today when i finally touched a knee down.
There is an inside story about Fieldsheer, I actually wish them success.

Kneepucks are available just about anywhere....

post #8 of 10 Old 03-23-2010, 07:19 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Ken: IMO there is only one good choice when it come to quality, Tourmaster. Do not waste your hard earned $$ on the others.

post #9 of 10 Old 03-23-2010, 07:38 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

MM is right, top notch with the tourmaster
sidenote, buy YOUR size, not up, they tend to fit very loose

post #10 of 10 Old 03-23-2010, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila-RC51 View Post
Only the Olympia Phantom is a 100% Cordura (DuPont) shell. The others are all polyester (maybe labeled as nylon or "Carbolex" - a knock off imitator of Cordura?). Does that change your recommendation at all?

I've gotten a lot of great feedback on the Phantom, and some on the Centurion. But the Centurion is a new suit so it doesn't have as many owners. I've had good experience with Tourmaster and Olympia and Fieldsheer. The Fieldsheer suit is apparently a next-generation of the Highlander suit. They had some bad press a few years back with some shoddy quality, but it's improved from what I've read.

Still researching and gathering reviews....

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode