Smoked visors vs. sunglasses - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 04-15-2007, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Smoked visors vs. sunglasses

What do you do/ think.

Both visors I have aare clear. I have a set of 'scrip sunglasses and have to swap out like, constantly. Thinking 'bout nabbin' a smoked visor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Smoked visors are good, but if you get stuck riding at dusk, or nighttime, you are in bad shape. I carried a clear shield to switch out if I knew I was going to be out late. The sunglass thing was a last resort. Being so tight to your face, they tend to fog easier, and depending on your helmet, they may cause headaches from pressing into your temples on long rides.

post #3 of 26 Old 04-15-2007, 05:07 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Totally agree with RidgeRunner. I don't like riding with sunglasses and carry a clear shield with me if I know I'll be out after dusk. My preference is for a dark shield, not mirrored. The mirrored shields have a reflection and I don't want to see my face in the mirror while riding!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

post #4 of 26 Old 04-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I wear glasses also...Havn't tried it yet but this is a good option

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...ct.asp?Item=SB

post #5 of 26 Old 04-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I have some AWESOME Oakley's that fit perfectly in my helmet. I also have a Kevlar case for them that fits perfectly under the seat inside the left side cowl.

2 > 4
post #6 of 26 Old 04-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Westbound through central Oregon on my '88 Hawk GT just before sunset, been in a miserable rainstorm for the last 5 hours, and have 250 miles left to go on a 950 mile day. Thank god for an excellent rainsuit: must remember to write the manufacturer. A line of cinder cones and vast lava flows dominate the view to the west, though barely discernable through the rain. Brightness ahead makes itself known as I reach the end of the volcanic field and the road turns West again. Suddenly, I feel as if I am watching arc welding -- the sun has made its way under the clouds, about 20 degrees off the horizon, and I have to pull over to let my eyes try to recover from the outrageous overload. Rain still sheeting down, colder than a witch's erogenous zone of choice, with no possibility of any sort of shelter, and desperate to keep up my momentum, I flip up the shield, lean forward and work my left hand into the huge outer pocket (damn good rainsuit!) for my sunglasses, jam them on, flip down the shield, toe it up into 1st, and take off. Maybe 10 seconds, and momentum conserved. Actually make 978 miles. As heavily loaded as I am, spare shield storage with quick access is not an option.
--- My reason for preferring sunglasses over swapping shields. Keep in mind, though: wearing any sort of glasses in your helmet greatly increases the possibility of breaking your nose in a fall, sometimes quite seriously. We're talking plastic surgery seriously. And no, that's not why my nose looks the way it does. I blame genetics.
The glasses? $7.53(!) 100% UVA & B block mirrored gray green #4 tint bought at a welding supply. Look like something you'd wear to a NASCAR race, but very effective.

Rob

post #7 of 26 Old 04-16-2007, 05:48 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
+1 to Ridge. Sunglasses are just too uncomfortable in a helmet, so I try to bring a clear shield if I'll be riding close to sunset.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #8 of 26 Old 04-16-2007, 08:16 AM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I use sunglasses when street riding, and a dark smoke shield when racing. Mainly because it's easy and quick to put on or remove the glasses. I've tried the glasses while racing, but it's way too hot with all the gear on, and way too bumpy... and they end up at the tip of my nose. Not exactly great for concentration.

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #9 of 26 Old 04-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I went for the best of both worlds. Visor and shield make for perfect combination. It looks good on the dirtbike, and Strom, but kind of silly on a standard sportbike. Function over form right?

http://www.amotostuff.com/thestore/p...raiXD-Agy.html

post #10 of 26 Old 04-16-2007, 08:28 AM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I forgot to mention, a buddy bought some gimmick that sticks to the inside of the shield (not the same as Tvetree mentioned) that gets darker or lighter depending on the ambient light. I guess it's supposed to be like the prescription glasses .... Transitions and some others. It turned out to be the worst of both worlds, too dark at night, too light in the day. It was also like fifty bucks, and he said the shield on his new AGV wouldn't seal properly while it was installed.

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #11 of 26 Old 04-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I use the little tinted strip inside my shield that tvetree mentioned above. It works really well IMO. Cuts a lot of glare especially at dawn/dusk. Maybe not the answer to all issues, but surely helps.

Madmotor

post #12 of 26 Old 04-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 

It is warm enough here that I usually don't flip down the shield on the helmet until I pass about 35 Mph. I wear sunglasses in the helmet and they don't hurt. The most annoying part of riding with your shield up though is the occasional cloud of gnats that by the time you hit them it's too late, and you have half a dozen stuck to your face.

post #13 of 26 Old 04-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

sunscreen and sunglasses. That way when having the visor open (to get air and avoid fogging) you won't knock your eye out. My visor fogs up closed so I keep it cracked open.

post #14 of 26 Old 04-16-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal919 View Post
It is warm enough here that I usually don't flip down the shield on the helmet until I pass about 35 Mph. I wear sunglasses in the helmet and they don't hurt.
+1, I have some really cheap sunglasses that are literaly held together by ducktape but they do a good job. I have them on when it is sunny and easily take them off when it is too cloudy/dark. I like that I can still ride with the visor open and have eye protection+sun protection. My head would start on fire if I kept the visor down on hot summer days.

post #15 of 26 Old 04-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Why not have both!!! Any one heard of or use these.. I've seen them at the BMW shop.

http://www.caberg-helm.com/home.aspx...+xxl_adbg&xPC=

post #16 of 26 Old 04-19-2007, 07:55 PM

Scorpion has one that is similar to the Caberg...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...pion/exo-1000/

post #17 of 26 Old 04-20-2007, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I asked a gal that works at a honda dealer. She uses transitionals while she's riding. I'm going to look into this today.

post #18 of 26 Old 04-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Cornicen

My sunglasses give me a head ache. I use a smoke lense and carry a clear one in my jacket around my kidney. It fits great there and doesn't go anywhere.

post #19 of 26 Old 04-21-2007, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Went to my eyeglass shoppe and looked at the transitional riding goggles that had detachable foams. Uncomfortable. Sticking with what I've got.

Thanks anyhow peoples.

post #20 of 26 Old 04-23-2007, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Ha ! As of 7:10 wisconsin time april 23rd, I OWN the AaPG block !

Gimme somebody !

post #21 of 26 Old 04-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

I ride with a light smoke shield mostly.
If I'm starting out at night & am going to finish at night, I will use a clear shield.
If I start out in the morning & am going to finish at night ,I just use the smoke only.
No glasses

post #22 of 26 Old 04-24-2007, 07:44 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I always have a tankbag and carry an iridium and clear shield. Also carry sunglasses for when not riding. Tried the clear shield and glasses once, but didn't like the pressure of the glasses.

post #23 of 26 Old 04-24-2007, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I have to wear my glasses. They're 'scripts. Uzwise, it's : Oak tree, you're in my way !

post #24 of 26 Old 04-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Last year I rented a bike in HI. Most don't use helmets so they didn't loan full face. We had a great ride until it got dark and I couldn't use my sunglasses. I determined the bug speed limit was 35MPH! Luckily I found an open HW store and bought protective glasses to return at the posted speed.

post #25 of 26 Old 04-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

How about these? I hear they make it impossible to see anything farther than 50 feet away.

I'm a glasses in the lid person myself, but I keep thinking I should have more stuff like a few coloured visors.

post #26 of 26 Old 04-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

talked to the scropion rep saturday and he advised the EXO1000 should be released around june-july link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode