Shoei visor lock question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 11-08-2008, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
new 919 pilot

Shoei visor lock question

I recently got a shoei rf-1000 as my first full-face and I love it. I usually read the instructions so I know whats up, but this time I was confused a little about the visor lock lever. I know that when the shield is fully closed, moving the visor lever up will lock the shield down well. Moving it back to "neutral" middle setting will unlock it, and you can move the shield up or down to 6 or 7 open positions. The lever will also go to a 3rd position, all the way down. I'm not sure if this is the position to supposedly open the visor to a "preset" position. I tried but couldn't crack the visor open with the lever itself, and was afraid that I would break it. The lever goes into this position easily if the shield has been up, but closing the shield returns this lever to the middle position. Maybe I'll go read the instructions again and find out how to make my own "presets" for the lever? Until then I'll only move the lever up to lock the visor down, and move it to the middle so I can open the shield (by hand) to an open position.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-08-2008, 05:15 AM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

After things loosen up a bit, the third position will hoist the shield open just a crack to prevent fogging. Try giving the little guy an assist and pop the shield up on the right side while moving the lever to the "third" position.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-09-2008, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
new 919 pilot

Thanks, I'll try that. I heard this "crack" preset is adjustable with those plastic phillips screwdriver adjusters, I'll look into that. These black screws can also loosen so I might put a tiny dab of shoe goo or white glue as a sort of threadlocker thing.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-09-2008, 05:19 AM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

i have an rf1000 and yes the middle position is the neutral and the down positiion is to pop it open for fog.

post #5 of 10 Old 11-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Mine worked great for a couple of years.
Then it wouldnt hold the shield up for defogging anymore.
So I ripped that little POS lever off the helmet.

post #6 of 10 Old 11-11-2008, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
new 919 pilot

Upon further research and fiddling I now see that the lever's down position will push the shield to a very slight open crack. The front of the lever lifts the shield like a cam. I guess its pretty hard to do when the helmet is new, and you might feel like its gonna break. For now I'll just use the helmet shield tab and lift it by hand. Someone should make a stronger lever system, maybe out of cf? Thanks for the replies, everyone.

post #7 of 10 Old 03-01-2009, 06:07 AM
hairball919

You guys just confused the heck out of me! I also have the RF-1000 and although I see those little clicking positions, I never really figured out how to use them or why they are there. My shield flips up and stays just fine, but I certainly don't want to open it, even a small crack, if I'm above city speeds because the wind blows in and makes my eyes water. But is there some special things I should realize about the locking mechanisms? I do think it's cool how the shield locks on and comes off. Speaking of the shield, I've never had one fog up as much as this one does! I came to the conclusion that it fogs up easier than most because it's such a tight, secure fit and not as much air goes in as with my cheap HJC. So I bought a Fog City insert: big mistake! That thing scratches way to easy, you can't wipe it with a napkin like most shields, it gets gritty from microscopic dust, and it gets harder and harder to see through over time (hell, I've only had it for a couple months and it's already super hard to see through!!). I need to find another way to prevent fogging WITHOUT using the Fog City stick-on thingy.

LOVE the helmet itself though! I got the Wine Red on and it's almost a 98% color match to my 07 919! I get comments all the time about the color match! I've had people as if the helmet came with the bike! (Being a smart-ass, I tell those idiots "No, I just bought the helmet and got the bike free!").

If anyone has a trick to prevent fogging without using the Fog City, let me know. How about Rain-X anti-fog? No, I guess that has a petroleum smell.

post #8 of 10 Old 03-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball919 View Post
If anyone has a trick to prevent fogging without using the Fog City, let me know.
Try using one of these:
Respro-Foggy-Breathguard

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-05-2009, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
new 919 pilot

Not sure about the fogging...make sure the chin vent is in the open position. Have you tried the included fog guard and chin curtain? I've tried them but they feel like they get "in the way" somehow. Besides, sometimes my nose itches and I gotta scratch it. By the way I hardly touch that lever, maybe only once in a while on the superslab to cinch down the visor fully on a long trip, might help for a quieter ride?

post #10 of 10 Old 03-07-2009, 05:39 AM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I use it all the time, since (like hairball said) this is just about the foggiest visor in history. I actually don't use the lock-closed feature, since I've yet to have my visor pop open (but I've heard this does happen), but I use the "vent" all the time. In fact, I have to open it all the way at stoplights sometimes because it just doesn't seem to like the cold. On the other hand, during the summer, I didn't even know it fogged up. I use the nose-guard, but not the chin skirt. I'm going to give the chin a try, since my buddy said it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's worth a shot.

-Adam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode