Shoei RF-1000 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 03-15-2009, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Shoei RF-1000

Does anybody have one of these? Pros and cons? I wear a HJC-small. (small head, smaller brain), would a a extra-small fit possibly. Can get a brand new one for $180.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

i have the rf-1000 with the red dragons on the sides.... i love it... comfortable with good vision and its decently quiet..(still need ear plugs for long rides..)... its not heavy has pretty good ventilation and if you install the bottom wind net it is really quiet but kinda stuffy..

i would buy it again... i hope this helps...

shoei arai are 2 names that are never wrong...

post #3 of 19 Old 03-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Mc 9er

if your looking for fit,i would suggest going to a bike shop and trying one on.as far as gettin one for $180, i really doubt it. the thing about helmets is...its your head under there,so how much is that worth to ya. comfort and fit come into play also. i loved my old shoei and it saved my life in a head on with a cage, i flew over the car and landed on the back of my head,then rolled down the road a bit,that shoei got a big scratch and the seam split a little,otherwise it was fine,i had a slight concussion.
for some reason i'm having a tuff time gettin a good fit with shoeis now,and after searching and trial and error i've settled on a scorpion and am very happy with it,hopefully i won't be giving you a crash report on it.
hope this helps a bit, good luck. heres my scorpion.
tribal_sil_small.jpg

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour

post #4 of 19 Old 03-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I have two RF1Ks. It's a good helmet. But now that I'm wiser I want a Shark ECE2205 spec! Too bad mine are too big for you.

post #5 of 19 Old 03-15-2009, 03:26 PM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

As already said by McD ... it's all about fit. Go to and try a bunch on as see what fits and feels the best.

Just don't get a helmet with "Red Dragons" on them. That's a secret signal for Miami's alternative crowd ... not that there is anything wrong with that.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #6 of 19 Old 03-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

I loved mine just replaced it with an Arai though, but it is all about having your head measured and fitted to the helmet!! I kinda like the Arai better as all the padding is washable instead of just the sides like the RF1000. The anti-fog crack open the visior feature works easier on the shoei but that may just be that i'm not used to the Arai yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 CBRXX
Just don't get a helmet with "Red Dragons" on them. That's a secret signal for Miami's alternative crowd ... not that there is anything wrong with that.
not everyone needs a mirrored helmet to look at themselves in like yours

JK

post #7 of 19 Old 03-15-2009, 05:07 PM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
not everyone needs a mirrored helmet to look at themselves in like yours
That would be iridium ...

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #8 of 19 Old 03-15-2009, 05:08 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The Shoei Rf1000 doens't fit me, but my Arai fits amazingly.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #9 of 19 Old 03-28-2009, 08:03 AM
hairball919

I never really liked HJC's. Had 2 of them already, but only bought them both times because they were the cheapest I could find at shops in town. The 2nd one I got the day I got my bike in November. Again, only to get my bike home. The helmet I really liked most, that came in a color that matches my bike, was the Shoei RF-1000! But they wanted $375 plus tax! So I bought the HJC for $139.

Got home and searched all over the internet and found the RF-1000 for $300 including free shipping. That was the lowest price I could find. And it was at my door in less than a week.

I really love the RF-1000 for fit and comfort. Mostly...

I do notice my chin seems a bit close to the shell. And mouth. Heck, I can touch the inside of the helmet with my lips. Not sure that's how it's supposed to fit. But basically I love the overall fit.

What I don't like is how noisy it can get, especially when I turn my head sideways. And the ventilation, contrary to what others say, pretty much sucks. My head gets all sweaty. My shield fogs up constantly, even at high speeds. (Don't get me started on how much my former FogCity liner sucked!)

All in all, I think you would be really happy with the RF-1000, especially if you have a small head. I wear a large. But the fit is awesome! And almost every part of the inside is removeable and can be replaced with thicker or thinner padding to help adjust for your comfort level.

$180 for an RF-1000? I would think something was wrong with it at that price. Not e-bay is it? Used? Used would be a good price, but new? I'd wonder. How much is shipping, $100?

post #10 of 19 Old 03-28-2009, 09:58 AM
8th bike and 2nd 919!

mine was $375 or so and it's the best helmet ive ever had. the arai might fit better if you have a long skinny face. The rf1k seems to fit my rounder face/head. The arai felt like it was pressing in the sides too much. Dont skip on your helmet.

post #11 of 19 Old 03-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

RF-1000 is fine.
It's about fit as has been said.

Based on my experience, the ventilation on the RF-1000 seems to be designed for sportbike position riding w/ the head down. Sit upright, as on a 919, and the ventilation flow is noticeably reduced. Not that it's 'bad', just not as good as compared to riding an RR bike.

Consider this if your plan is to ride in the cold or wet on a 919 w/ this lid. Similar conditions on a sportbike and you'll notice improved ventilation/fog clearing performance w/ this lid.

Of course, in bad weather there's only so much you can do and that's when you learn about all kinds of tricks from folks at the track. Everything from secret balms to scuba diving S.O.P's.

post #12 of 19 Old 07-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Mud Dauber

I have an RF-1000. It is the only helmet I have worn on the street. It is light and comfortable. The ventilation does work great. (I ride a sport bike) solid black and paid 312.00 new. I added a dark tinted visor 38.00 shipped.

I would like to know if there is anything to be done about bugs shooting through the vents (particularly the Mouth-jaw vent) and into the helmet.
BTW: How are they still alive after doing that at 65MPH?
Anyway, can some kind of screen be installed to prevent this?

"Never give up, Never surrender"
post #13 of 19 Old 07-11-2009, 04:29 PM
That's Right!!!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I bought mine new in '04 for $350 shipped. I had a Fulmer before that and a Vega as well for my passengers. I tried on the Arai but did not like the fit one bit............and my big nose hit the front of the Arai

No complaints except that over the years the fit is not as tight as before (padding most likely needs replaced now) and it's 100% quieter then my Fulmer was. Yes, earplugs are a must for trips though. Here she is in her glory:

2003 Honda RC51
post #14 of 19 Old 07-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

The only thing I have to complain about my Shoei is that it fogs up like a mother lover. Other then that, I love it, especially because it feels light and small as opposed to heavy and huge.

post #15 of 19 Old 07-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Try on helmets first. Shoei feels like it was made for my head. Arai helmets totally blow for fit and feel on my head.

The RF-1000 is nice, but the padding isn't all removeable for cleaning. After a season I like to take my padding out of my helmet(Shoei X-series) and give it a good wash. Sometimes I do it a few times a season. Can't do that with the RF-1000. It's like they left it like that just so you had more of a reason to spend more on a Shoei X helmet.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #16 of 19 Old 07-12-2009, 01:37 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by myztical View Post
The only thing I have to complain about my Shoei is that it fogs up like a mother lover. Other then that, I love it, especially because it feels light and small as opposed to heavy and huge.
+3 on that one. The RF1K is the worst I've had. Mind you I've only had about 4 helmets in 18 years of riding.

The RF1K was wind tunnel tested for reduced drag and I believe it is probably one of the best out there for that. My neck never gets tired with a full wind blast of naked bike glory. On the other hand, the chin bar is a fraction of an inch from my nose so it fogs badly, and my Wife's $180 HJC is much quieter. I couldn't tell you if it's louder or quieter than my other helmets cuz I would need to do side by side comparison's. Bottom line, great helmet for low weight and drag, but fogs easily.

Just my unsolicited pennies.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #17 of 19 Old 07-12-2009, 05:27 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by myztical View Post
have you tried using supplied fog guard?

60% of the time it works all the time. j/k No really, it works. Also, install a chin curtain (supplied as well) and it will get much quieter.

post #18 of 19 Old 07-12-2009, 05:40 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiller View Post

No complaints except that over the years the fit is not as tight as before (padding most likely needs replaced now) and it's 100% quieter then my Fulmer was.

I have high cheek bones and it makes a little tricky to properly fit a helmet. A lot of people do a mistake of fitting a helmet for the face and not for the head. Overtime cheek pads get warn in and helmet feels not as tight.
If you go to pro helmet fitter, a lot of times they will take cheek pads out of the helmet just so you can actually feel if helmet is sitting on your head snug and is the right size for you. Then they would install cheek pads that feel comfortable for you face. RF1000 has 3 cheek pad sizes and I believe the helmet comes with the medium size pads.

post #19 of 19 Old 07-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot all about them. Now to find where I put em!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
have you tried using supplied fog guard?

60% of the time it works all the time. j/k No really, it works. Also, install a chin curtain (supplied as well) and it will get much quieter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode