Shoei Multitec? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 03-02-2007, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Shoei Multitec?

Hey guys...

Been a while since I posted. I'm deployed to Qatar right now. I'm having an awesome time, and only miss three things. My bike, my dog, and gettin' some.

So I'm looking at upgrading my riding gear. I'm currently using a flat black Icon Mainframe, which...is ok but I'm not too thrilled with it. Now that I'm making a bit more money in the desert, I'm looking at getting a silky white or just plain white Shoei Multitec helmet. Anyone have any idea if it's a good helmet or not?

I live in hot ass Arkansas, and my current helmet is WAY too hot during the summer. I'm thinking a white helmet and one that is a flip up would probably be more comfortable.

Whattya think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

I trust Shoei products without reservation, partially due to the fact that they fit me like they were custom made, but have no desire for a flip up type. My RF 1000 has the most effective ventilation of any helmet I've worn, in fact unless the temperature is over 95 or so, I leave the vents at least partially shut. It's very quiet as well.

Rob

post #3 of 6 Old 04-16-2007, 03:56 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I've tested a couple of flip-ups including the Multitec and came away unimpressed with all of them. They are heavier, usually don't provide as much peripheral vision, and I'm just not as confident in a flip up helmet in a getoff. I'm also a huge fan of Shoei, own both a black and a white RF-1000, and won't consider other brands at this point. But with the current offerings, I won't be looking for a flip up when it's time to replace a lid.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

post #4 of 6 Old 12-21-2007, 02:55 AM
my2ndhornet

I'm due for a new lid and 'cos I wear glasses for riding, the flip-ups have a practical appeal.

This thread is getting a bit old now, so I want to revive it. The Multitec appears so far to be the pick of the crop. With the metal catches (compared to rival's plastic catches), I've been told the Shoei is quite effective.

Any further input or experiences will be appreciated.

Candy Red
2005-CB900F
post #5 of 6 Old 12-21-2007, 03:42 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I've tested a couple of flip-ups including the Multitec and came away unimpressed with all of them. They are heavier, usually don't provide as much peripheral vision, and I'm just not as confident in a flip up helmet in a getoff. I'm also a huge fan of Shoei, own both a black and a white RF-1000, and won't consider other brands at this point. But with the current offerings, I won't be looking for a flip up when it's time to replace a lid.
+1

A friend was nearly strangled after his bad get-off and the flip-up's extra have-open room allowed it to partially twist on his head. He was purple when another driver (not the over center line driver that hit him) stopped and loosened his helmet to save his life. The flipups have improved since the accident, but structurally it's a compromise over a rigid full face.

Have fun and ride safe!

post #6 of 6 Old 12-21-2007, 05:46 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

While I haven't look at them in a while ,All the flip-ups I looked at say not to ride with the lid up.Kinda takes away the venting bonus,still great for us with glasses though.I had a Nolen flip-up and while it was nice for talking at stop lights and ease of glasses I went back to a solid face.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode