Scorpion EXO-1000 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 55 Old 08-29-2008, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Gearhead

Scorpion EXO-1000

Got an EXO-1000 a few weeks ago.
Main reason for purchase was for the internal sun shield. I go to work when its dark and come home in the sun and wearing sunglasses under my helmet was giving me a headache.
I got a Large and it fits really snug compared to my HJC large. No preasure points, and I don't really have need for the pump yet, maybe after it breaks in some.
Seems to be quieter than my previous helmet, probably because it fits tighter.
The only minor problem I've found is the little lever that is supposed to hold the visor open a crack is a little problamatic. You have to fool with it a little to get it to stay open.
I'm intrested to see how the anti-fog shield works when the weather gets cold.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 08-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

I hear the a-f works great. Let us know when you get the chance.

post #3 of 55 Old 08-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

The Anti-fog on my EXO-700 works really well.

post #4 of 55 Old 08-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

The anti-fog on my exo-400 doesn't fog, just gives maybe a distortion of looking though a very thin film of water, way better than not able to see at all!

I liked the 1000 when i saw it at VIR but really don't get the idea of the pump, reminds me of the old rebok pump shoes and the sort more gimmik, but i didn't try it on either figured too many sweaty heads that weekend. Eww

post #5 of 55 Old 09-02-2008, 06:56 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
The anti-fog on my exo-400 doesn't fog, just gives maybe a distortion of looking though a very thin film of water, way better than not able to see at all!

I liked the 1000 when i saw it at VIR but really don't get the idea of the pump, reminds me of the old rebok pump shoes and the sort more gimmik, but i didn't try it on either figured too many sweaty heads that weekend. Eww
I tried one on. The pump actually works. I want to wait a while before thinking about getting one. I wasn't happy at all with how quickly my exo-400 visor seal broke down. I want to see if the exo-1s have the same problem.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #6 of 55 Old 09-03-2008, 04:21 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier919 View Post
The Anti-fog on my EXO-700 works really well.
+1 When I had a scorpion, I tried to fog it up and couldn't. Most of the lid makers now have similar coatings on their screens, except for Shoei. They still recommend their breath guard, and refer owners to the 3rd party PinLock system, which doesn't work all that well. I'm helmet shopping this Winter. I'd normally, automatically go for an RF-1000 but without anti-fog, I'll probably look elsewhere.

On the short list:
Scorpion EX-1000
Nolan N102
HJC Sy-Max II
HJC FS-10
Shoei Multitec

Aria doesn't fit my round head very well. But I'm grateful for other recommendations.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #7 of 55 Old 09-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Nor'Easter

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I bought the EXO1000 (matte black) a few months ago. In terms of quality and fit, it's miles ahead of my old THH, however I've never owned a lid costing more than $150 before the Scorpion.

The Pump
The pump works but because the helmet fits me snug, as is, I never use it. It should come in handy though once the liner breaks in and the fit becomes a little loose or for someone who needs an in-between size.

The Internal Sun Visor
The concept is great and Scorpion does it well. The helmet comes stock with a light smoke visor which could be darker but Scorpion does offer other shades and hopefully a dark smoke in the future. There is enough room for sun glasses behind the visor if you prefer more "shade". When the visor is down, it feels pretty solid however once it's in the up position, it is slightly loose. I have never heard it rattle but my guess is that only over the roughest pavement or during an offroad detour could you actually hear it rattle. I have read from online reviews of some visual distortion when both the shield and visor are down but I could only notice it at the extreme left and right edges of the visor: certainly none within one's normal range of vision and didn't bother me at all. The activation lever on the side is easy to operate, even while riding.

Everclear Shield
This shield will not fog up, I've tried in all types of temperatures. Under heavy breathing in lower temps, you may get a few drops of condensation water near the lower edge of the shield but it doesn't effect visibility.

Air Flow
The one thing that impressed me before I even tried the helmet on was the quality of the vent closures. All vents opened/closed with that snick-snick operation that confirms their status, even with gloves while riding. I found air flow over the top of my head good but didn't notice much coming through the "chin" vent. I think the way that vent opens could be the reason.

Aerodynamics and Weight
It is a heavy lid, but it's distributed well and not as noticeable when you're wearing it. It's rock solid at speed on the 919 with no buffeting or bobbing about whatsoever. The only complaint I have in this area is some whistling noises coming from the shield. Scorpion has notched out the shield at top center to expose the forehead vent, which IMO is causing the whistle. I've put my hand over that area while riding and the whistling stopped. Interesting enough, the whistling also stops when I look down at the gauges. The 1000 is quiet when turning your head from side to side while underway.

Fit and Finish
This is an excellent looking helmet, from any angle, and the finish is as good as any other helmet I've looked at. The design and color choices were limited when I ordered but the matte black finish looks awesome and suits this style of helmet perfect. JD Power ranks Scorpion right up there just behind Arai and Shoei

Overall I am happy with the 1000. I am new to the quality ($300+) lid market and couldn't directly compare a previously owned Arai or Shoei to the Scorpion but for the price I paid for the EXO, I think it's a great helmet and I recommend it to anyone looking for a lid in its price range.

"My reality check just bounced."
-Morendil

'06 Honda 919
post #8 of 55 Old 10-22-2008, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Gearhead

EXO-1000

Well, it was cold this morning and the 1000 didn't fog at all.

Even had on my Turtle-Fur.

post #9 of 55 Old 10-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Tirone??

I have an exo-700, and it's one of the best lids I have had. Fits my head so much better than the HJC I had previously. I am liking the 1000's. I tried on the HJC with internal visor, and it seems the Scorpion visor comes down further than the HJC covering your eyes more.

Anti-Fog works great for me. Have never had problems with it.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #10 of 55 Old 10-22-2008, 12:55 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Where does the Scorpion product fall in the -will-save-your-butt-if-your-head-gets-run-over-by-a-dumptruck chart ?

This is good to know. My new owner local shop has intro'd the Scorps to their helmet line. Didn't try one on but will look closer the next time.

post #11 of 55 Old 10-22-2008, 08:04 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Did it today. I really like the options for 349.00. The shield , the air, the shield, the ear pockets, the shield. Did I mention the shield? Yeah that drop down smoker solves the biggest dink in helmetdom for me. And the ear pockets I really liked. No wind tunnel testing though. That helmet is on the short list. Looking forward to trying something different than icon.

post #12 of 55 Old 10-25-2008, 11:52 PM
bike n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
Where does the Scorpion product fall in the -will-save-your-butt-if-your-head-gets-run-over-by-a-dumptruck chart ?
When I took my MSF class they had a scorpion helmet (don't remember if it was a 700 or 1k) that had been run over by an 18-wheeler. It was still whole and they said the dude survived to ride some more. If that isn't good enough, I don't know what is!

My father's riding buddy has a 1k and swears it is the best helmet he has ever owned.

post #13 of 55 Old 10-26-2008, 06:54 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Snell Rated is Snell rated. Sure there are additional tests, but a $150 helmet and a $700 helmet protect your head about the same. The difference is in the features. The $700 helmet protects your head as well, but with a couple lbs less weight, more air flow etc...

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #14 of 55 Old 10-26-2008, 06:59 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinosa View Post
When I took my MSF class they had a scorpion helmet (don't remember if it was a 700 or 1k) that had been run over by an 18-wheeler. It was still whole and they said the dude survived to ride some more. If that isn't good enough, I don't know what is!

My father's riding buddy has a 1k and swears it is the best helmet he has ever owned.
Dayum.

post #15 of 55 Old 11-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I also just bought a EXO-700. Best thing I have had on my head. The anti-fog is amazing. Comfort second to none I have ever tried on. The aero-dynamics on it are just as good. I highly recommend Scorpion helmets!

post #16 of 55 Old 05-01-2009, 04:22 AM
"VonZipper"

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

I too have the EXO-1000.

If you have a $10.00 head get a $10.00 helmet!

My neighbor said "You paid $300.00 for a helmet?" I replied, "Dude, it's MY HEAD that goes in it." He said "You're right, where did you get it?"

I like the EXO-1000 a lot, great fit and comfort. Yes it is a bit heavier than my ICON Domain II "Devil Dog" but the sun shield is VERY handy, and it's just a bit quieter than the ICON too. I really think Scorpion products are a great value dollar for dollar. I put a Gold tint shield on my 1000 and it looks pretty cool. Westfield Yamaha / Suzuki in Westfield, IN has them discounted a bit too. Jim

post #17 of 55 Old 05-01-2009, 04:45 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
I hear the a-f works great.
now why would you need an auto focus on a helmet!

post #18 of 55 Old 05-01-2009, 06:30 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
now why would you need an auto focus on a helmet!
Makes it compatible with his Tri-focals.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #19 of 55 Old 05-01-2009, 06:44 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Tried one the other day at Cycle Gear. Loved it. The 1000 will be my next helmet

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #20 of 55 Old 05-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Bryan Stocks them over at D&D too. I tried one on and really liked it. On my short list of future helmets.

Need a bike first tho.

Spoiler:
post #21 of 55 Old 05-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
Bryan Stocks them over at D&D too. I tried one on and really liked it. On my short list of future helmets.

Need a bike first tho.
Cool...wonder what he sells them for

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #22 of 55 Old 05-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

If I see something at CycleGear, I will tell him quietly when no one else is standing there and see if he will match. He will be honest and tell you if he can or can't. Sometimes I have had him send me down there (usually for tires) because he does not buy enough to match them on some more popular brands and sizes.

I just would rather put money in a local business hands that the franchise.

Spoiler:
post #23 of 55 Old 05-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

I have no problem dealing with Brian...He's a very nice guy. However, If I can get the same helmet online or at CG for 20-30 cheaper I'd have to go that route.

I'll swing by D&D when I get ready to buy one. Maybe later this month Or possibly after my next long ride, my HJC is really starting to bother me

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #24 of 55 Old 05-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I am very suprised by all the love for the Scorpion on this thread. There was a thread a couple of years ago where a poster wouldn't even try the 700 that he had been given for free. I mentioned that I thought it was a good helmet and was basically called an idiot and told that I obviously didn't have reading comprehension. I am happy to see the change in opinion about the brand.

post #25 of 55 Old 05-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Dragon Slayer

I have 6 year old Arai Quantum. I have put on 30-40k miles with it on my noggin and I am looking for a replacement. Would Scorpion be a step down? They seem to have good features.

post #26 of 55 Old 05-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Tirone

Thumbs up Not a step down !

I had a Quantum for 3 years until my son needed a helmet so I gave him mine. It was a good excuse to buy another. I looked at the EXO700 and was impressed. Talked to Brian and Jason at SportBikeTrackGear , bought alot of gear from these guys and they said I would be happy with the 700.They were right ! Great fit,lightweight and great ventilation. Price wasn't even a issue. Got it in the new NEON yellow - my head looks like a oversized tennis ball,but I'm hoping the bright (and I mean bright!) color will improve my visibility to other drivers. If you're looking for a new lid you should check out the EXO700 or 1000. Its a great lid. gale

post #27 of 55 Old 05-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Dragon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill919 View Post
I had a Quantum for 3 years until my son needed a helmet so I gave him mine. It was a good excuse to buy another. I looked at the EXO700 and was impressed. Talked to Brian and Jason at SportBikeTrackGear , bought alot of gear from these guys and they said I would be happy with the 700.They were right ! Great fit,lightweight and great ventilation. Price wasn't even a issue. Got it in the new NEON yellow - my head looks like a oversized tennis ball,but I'm hoping the bright (and I mean bright!) color will improve my visibility to other drivers. If you're looking for a new lid you should check out the EXO700 or 1000. Its a great lid. gale
Thanks, I will check it out. I like the 1000 with the flip up shade. Saves time and space. Nice Speed 3. I have a non speed version. Still handles awesome though.

post #28 of 55 Old 05-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
I will check it out. I like the 1000 with the flip up shade. Saves time and space.
I wear glasses and with the shade down I seemed to get alittle distortion - it could just be me .But I really wanted a bright color and only the 700 came in the Neon. The flip up shade and cheek pump are the only differences between the 700 and the 1000. gale

post #29 of 55 Old 05-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Tirone

Thumbs up Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
Thanks, I will check it out. I like the 1000 with the flip up shade. Saves time and space. Nice Speed 3. I have a non speed version. Still handles awesome though.
Yeah - Mazda makes some fun cars . Hope you don't mind me copying your avatar - but the MS3 makes a nice background for a niner ! gale

post #30 of 55 Old 05-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Dragon Slayer

Quote:
Yeah - Mazda makes some fun cars . Hope you don't mind me copying your avatar - but the MS3 makes a nice background for a niner ! gale
Zoom-Zoom!

post #31 of 55 Old 05-25-2009, 11:45 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

I tried one. Nice helmet but I thought it was too big and heavy with all those bells and whistles.

p.s. I'm still in love with my rf-1000

post #32 of 55 Old 05-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Tirone

helmet fit IS subjective

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
I tried one. Nice helmet but I thought it was too big and heavy with all those bells and whistles.

p.s. I'm still in love with my rf-1000
Did a quick search and same size (med.) RF1000, EXO700 and EXO1000 - the Shoei is 1oz. lighter than the 700 and 4 oz. lighter than EXO1000 .Both companies use the same 3 shell sizes. But all three helmets are different head shapes .RF1000 is round/neutral ,EXO700 is a neutral/long oval and the EXO1000 is a oval/neutral. That might be why you thought the EXO seemed so big compared to your rf1000. Its funny I wore Shoie motorcross helmets for years but could never get a Shoei street helmet to fit. gale

post #33 of 55 Old 05-25-2009, 07:22 PM
grommit

Well I just purchased an EXO-1000 on Ebay(137.00) total. Wasn't the color I really wanted(solid silver). But for that price it was hard to pass up.
All I have been wearing so far are Icon's. And I do like my Icon "Infernal", but the Scorpion looks like it should be a nice one for the collection too.

post #34 of 55 Old 05-26-2009, 08:45 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Did a quick search and same size (med.) RF1000, EXO700 and EXO1000 - the Shoei is 1oz. lighter than the 700 and 4 oz. lighter than EXO1000 .Both companies use the same 3 shell sizes. But all three helmets are different head shapes .RF1000 is round/neutral ,EXO700 is a neutral/long oval and the EXO1000 is a oval/neutral. That might be why you thought the EXO seemed so big compared to your rf1000. Its funny I wore Shoie motorcross helmets for years but could never get a Shoei street helmet to fit. gale
100% agree, head shape makes a big difference, that's why you should always try the helmet before buying it. Try in the store - buy online type of deal

I use XL and it's about 7oz difference between rf1000 and exo1000. But the real turn off was the size of exo1000, it made my XL head look like XXXL. I assume it had to be made larger to fit that internal sun shade

here is exo 1000 review Scorpion EXO-1000 - webBikeWorld

post #35 of 55 Old 11-12-2010, 04:36 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Scorpion EXO-1000 $154 Free shipping

SCORPION EXO-1000 HELMET - APOLLO | MotoSport

post #36 of 55 Old 11-12-2010, 05:35 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Scorpion EXO-1000 $154 Free shipping

SCORPION EXO-1000 HELMET - APOLLO | MotoSport
That's a real good price. I wish they had the 900 on sale like that.

post #37 of 55 Old 11-12-2010, 06:32 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Great link...

Here are some decent deals. I've been pondering over the Apollo and I have a $50 gift card to New Enough.

Helmets and Eyewear > All Types > Scorpion :: New Enough

Scorpion EXO-1000 Apollo Motorcycle Helmet :: New Enough - The Apollo is a little higher here, but they have many options for color and size.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #38 of 55 Old 11-12-2010, 12:37 PM
The Cripple

actually the apollos are going for $140 at cycle gear for the dark silver, light silver, and white (other colors are gone). they also have the blue apollos going for $99!

post #39 of 55 Old 11-12-2010, 01:02 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Dang-it! I need to go back to the store and double-check the fit tomorrow then order a dark silver from Cycle Gear!!!

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #40 of 55 Old 11-12-2010, 07:52 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

Santa is getting me one of them for christmas I should probably go at the bike shop and double-check my size tomorrow
Apollo exo-1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode