Riding pants - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-15-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
06919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 1
 
Riding pants

Folks,
I'm looking to get some riding pants that will work for cool weather and warm (so zip out linning I guess). I really want CE armor in the knees and hip protection with very abrasion resistant material. Leather is cool, but not sure the ticket for warm weather riding.
Any opinons would be appreciated, the people here seem to have real world answers. I ride a 919 and do some spirited riding, communting and some short touring.

Thanks

06919 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 05-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
i have a set of fieldsheer titanium air mesh 4.0 pants.

Street Bike Pants Men's Riding Gear - Motorcycle Superstore

Come with an awesome thick zip out lining that does a pretty good job on the cooler days... i dont do much riding when its super cold but i have been out on 50*F days without problems.

My buddy just got a set of their perforated leathers and says they breath really good as well.

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 05-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Tom
Immune
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Niceville
Posts: 392
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Along the way to your buying decision, take a look at the Olympia Ranger 2 pants. I can't say they're the best because I'm not Consumer Reports, but they're very good. I have worn them all day every day for the past 12 days and have no complaints.

Tom is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 05-15-2010, 07:16 PM
blur
 
drewvir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Deptford,NJ
Posts: 1,372
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

i got these

Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 Pants - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

with the liner they're good into the 20's f without they're good to 80f wearing jeans. in shorts probally ever warmer.

zip to waist, fit nice, are'nt slippery on the seat
i like them alot

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
drewvir is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 05-15-2010, 09:02 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
The Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 2,762
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

+1 on the FieldSheer Mercury pants...they are waterproof, too...

They have thigh pockets that can be opened for ventilation, and two-way zips from ankle to thigh that could be opened a bit too. They have done well for me all winter long, and unless they are just unbearable in the summer heat I plan to wear them on any touring I do. They are already my daily-wear. I bought mine on sale from Motorcycle Forum - Wrist Twisters Motorcycle Forum...They were about $80 at the time. Check with them, maybe they are still on clearance.

That being said, I also have a pair of Olympia Recon 2 pants with lotsa mesh that are great in the summer...My daily-wear jacket is an Olympia GT Air...I'm VERY pleased with my Olympia gear, I'll buy from them in the future.




.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
The Shadow is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 05-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
i got these

Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 Pants - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

with the liner they're good into the 20's f without they're good to 80f wearing jeans. in shorts probally ever warmer.

zip to waist, fit nice, are'nt slippery on the seat
i like them alot
i dont know how you would ride with those in 80*F weather... i bought a set of em before the air mesh 4.0's and went out with some buddies on a 75*F day wearing basket ball shorts underneath... and it was horid... they were WAY to damn hot and that was without the liners. and the fit was pretty bad on the mercury's.... i got a large and they were way to bulky... length n waist were right but the ass and legs had WAY to much extra... the air mesh's tho fit much better even tho they are the same size.

The air mesh 4.0's have the same liner as the mercury 2.0's btw

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 05-16-2010, 05:31 AM
rmb
Let's go!
 
rmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sussex Couty NJ
Posts: 7,650
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Along the way to your buying decision, take a look at the Olympia Ranger 2 pants. I can't say they're the best because I'm not Consumer Reports, but they're very good. I have worn them all day every day for the past 12 days and have no complaints.
+1 on these, completely waterproof, a little warm over 85 degF, never needed the insulated liner, several rides starting around 40 degF.

rmb is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 05-16-2010, 06:02 AM
`
 
zaq123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: here n' there
Posts: 3,842
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

here is what I got for the street:

Teknic Supervent Mesh Pants for long trips with my S-MX R boots

Alpinestars Street Cargo Pants with Thor 50/50 boots when I need to look casual

zaq123 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 05-16-2010, 07:11 AM
STR-III
 
cmurphy84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Western KY
Posts: 4,989
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
i got these

Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 Pants - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

with the liner they're good into the 20's f without they're good to 80f wearing jeans. in shorts probally ever warmer.

zip to waist, fit nice, are'nt slippery on the seat
i like them alot
Another +1 for the Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0s

I wore mine all winter down into the low 30s. Even rode a few times at about 20 degrees. No problems at all. That was commuting with just khakis underneath.

I've been commuting in them around her in the mid eighties in the same khakis with no heat issues.

On longer rides, like the 300+ mile trip I took recently, the weather was in the upper 80s and wearing cargo shorts underneath I was still comfortable.

My only gripe about the pants would be the knee area when wearing shorts. The armor pouch is made of nylon so it made my knees sweat at times. I think I'm going to get some underarmor pants to wear on hot days.

Press Any Key To Continue.
cmurphy84 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 05-16-2010, 07:18 AM
blur
 
drewvir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Deptford,NJ
Posts: 1,372
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
+1 on the FieldSheer Mercury pants...they are waterproof, too...

They have thigh pockets that can be opened for ventilation, and two-way zips from ankle to thigh that could be opened a bit too. They have done well for me all winter long, and unless they are just unbearable in the summer heat I plan to wear them on any touring I do. They are already my daily-wear. I bought mine on sale from Motorcycle Forum - Wrist Twisters Motorcycle Forum...They were about $80 at the time. Check with them, maybe they are still on clearance.

That being said, I also have a pair of Olympia Recon 2 pants with lotsa mesh that are great in the summer...My daily-wear jacket is an Olympia GT Air...I'm VERY pleased with my Olympia gear, I'll buy from them in the future.




.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
Another +1 for the Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0s

I wore mine all winter down into the low 30s. Even rode a few times at about 20 degrees. No problems at all. That was commuting with just khakis underneath.

I've been commuting in them around her in the mid eighties in the same khakis with no heat issues.

On longer rides, like the 300+ mile trip I took recently, the weather was in the upper 80s and wearing cargo shorts underneath I was still comfortable.

My only gripe about the pants would be the knee area when wearing shorts. The armor pouch is made of nylon so it made my knees sweat at times. I think I'm going to get some underarmor pants to wear on hot days.
shadow,
+1 on price i got mine for xmas for $80 plus i bought the misses her pair for $80 from bikebandit.
check around for best prices!


murphy,

ewww, sweaty knees lol

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
drewvir is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 05-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Optio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 908
Rep Power: 0
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I have been wearing the Olympia Airglide 2 pants for a few seasons and they are great. Since they came out with a version 3 of these pants you can get the version 2 at clearance prices now. The Airglide 2 has an insulated removable layer making it good for 3 season riding whereas the new version 3 only has a waterproof liner.

2526 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome