Review of your current gear - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ahung12
  • 1 Post By Pvster

post #1 of 15 Old 02-16-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Review of your current gear

I won't lie - for me, part of the excitement of getting into motorcycling was choosing and buying the gear. So as a first time buyer, I spent a lot of time researching each purchase and generally I'm happy with what I ended up starting out with. Still, I'm always interested to see what more experienced riders are using and how they like (or more importantly don't like) what they are using. I'll start, for what its worth. All this for when I'm riding the 919.

TL;DR:
Helmet: Shark SKWAL
Jacket: Schott 641
Gloves: Rev'It Striker 2
Pants: Dainese D1 Evo Jeans w/ armor package
Boots: TCX X-Square Plus boots
Additional Protection: Knox Venture Armored Shirt

Helmet: I got the Shark SKWAL in flat black. Right or wrong, I decided that whatever helmet I got had to be ECE and DOT certified, and passed on any one that did NOT have ECE certification believing that since ECE is the strictest standard, it must be the best. Other than that, the other big deciding factors for me were a) the integrated LED visibility lighting and b) the integrated drop-down visor. I'm super glad I went with a helmet with the drop down visor, as I cannot imagine how anyone fits sunglasses under a proper-fitting helmet (maybe I'm just doing it wrong). Lastly, the price was right! In hindsight, I should have sprung for anything other than black, since I'm not sure the LED lighting alone is sufficient when riding at night.

Jacket: My favorite purchase and also the one I'm second-guessing the most. It was nearly half of my total gear purchase cost, has no perforations, no built-in armor or provisions for armor, cannot be zipped to any pants, and came only in black. But damn I wanted a leather jacket so I went with the Schott 641. The zip-in chest liner and beefiness of the leather are major pluses, and it's a very flattering silhouette that still sits very well over the Knox Venture armored shirt that I got to make up for the missing armor. And it works well off the bike, of course. When summer rolls around though, I'm sure I'm going to be shelling out for a dedicated warm-weather jacket and hanging this up for a few months.

Gloves: Straight-up regret on this one, at least based on about 2 hours so far of combined use. I got a pair of Rev'It Striker 2 gloves based on good reviews. Even in large (which is the proper size for my hands based on the sizing info), they are tight to the point where blood flow to the finger tips is restricted and the too-short Velcro strap has to be taken completely out of its closure buckle to get the gloves on and off. At least they were cheap, and the touch-screen enabled fingertip does work! Were only available in black when I bought them

Pants: My most deliberated purchase. IMO, my choice of pants would be the biggest determinant of how and when I rode the 919. I didn't want to skimp on protection, so initially I was leaning towards leathers. But I couldn't find a pair of leather pants that I'd feel comfortable walking around in, making me doubt how often I'd take ride out to get groceries/meet up with friends/do anything other than ride A to B back to A. Of course I'd feel more comfortable walking around in riding jeans, but would they offer as much protection if I went down? Ultimately I went with Dainese D1 Evo jeans w/ pockets for their super beefy knee/shin and hip armors. With the Kevlar reinforcement and the armor in, and based on reviews I've seen, it seems like I've got sufficient protection in the right places. Looks wise, I'm not thrilled with how they fit as they are much baggier than I thought they'd be, and there's maybe an extra 6" of material on the leg openings that either needs to be severely cuffed or tailored. For the price of the jeans + armor, I now think I may have been better off with a pair of Rokkers instead. Also, these were only available in black. Only reflectivity I can see are a strip above the back pockets (why....).

Shoes: TCX X-Square Plus. Probably the easiest decision I made was go to with TCX for my shoes, then I just had to chose a model. I liked their history of focus on protection, and apparently very good build quality and longevity, for a decent price. I wanted some ankle protection but didn't want to go with a full boot, and wanted to be able to walk around on them somewhat comfortably. I would have liked a strap/buckle or zipper closure, some color choices other than all black and maybe waterproofing, but otherwise I'm happy with these boots.

Additional Protection: As mentioned I got a Knox Venture armored shirt to make up for lack of armor in the jacket, and I'm glad I did. It is definitely slim enough to not be bulky underneath the jacket, and feels like cheap insurance. I did not go with the optional chest protection, and wish the back protector was upgrade-able to CE level 2 (or came with that standard). For summer riding, I considered pairing this with a lightweight perforated leather jacket with no armor but that doesn't seem to exist.

Looking forward to other people's opinions on their gear, especially stuff that I haven't gotten yet but that I'm considering (luggage, backpacks, cameras/communication).
ewmin3m likes this.

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-16-2017, 09:30 AM
The Cripple

One thing I can tell you: it's very rare to find something that has all the pluses you want. And usually when you do, they are very high dollar items for a reason.

I have 2-4 of every bit of riding gear. Each serves 1-3 functions and are matched to the season/environment. The only exception is the heated jacket, I can use that with anything!

I usually buy things that are 1-2 seasons old which gives me discounts. Several websites are great for that!
badmoon692008 likes this.

post #3 of 15 Old 02-16-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
One thing I can tell you: it's very rare to find something that has all the pluses you want. And usually when you do, they are very high dollar items for a reason.

I have 2-4 of every bit of riding gear. Each serves 1-3 functions and are matched to the season/environment. The only exception is the heated jacket, I can use that with anything!

I usually buy things that are 1-2 seasons old which gives me discounts. Several websites are great for that!
Truth. I do see myself ending up with a few versions of gear, and I don't mind "old" stuff. And if I get to the point where I can start going to track days....

Al

post #4 of 15 Old 02-16-2017, 10:13 AM
Centurion

Garage
Good choice on the Helmet. Currently own a Shark Speed Carbon and it is a bit too aggressive for the 919 riding position. It's time to get a new one anyway...
Looking at getting the Shark Spartan :

Ugh so sexy :P

post #5 of 15 Old 02-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Josh

Garage
Jacket - PowerTrip Blackhawk: well ventilated leather jacket with minimal styling. it fits me well, and is well broken in. Obsolete.

Commuter Pants: Joe Rocket Ballistic pants - I wear them over my jeans or dress pants to get to work. They get the job done.
Sport Riding Pants: Icon TiMax pants - Love them. It's so hard to find sporty textile pants. mine are gen1

Gloves: Sedici Rapido race gloves. They get the job done. I've spent WAY too much on gloves, and the best ones I've ever had were $60 gel palm gloves from HD. They're 15 years old and still going strong, but get worn rarely.

Boots: Sedici Ultimo Race boots - I LOVE wearing race boots to commute in. I didn't know what MC boots were all about until I tried them. I hate riding with work boots now.

Helmet: AGV K3 SV Vulcan. I have worn AFX helmets since I started riding. They make great helmets, but I was ready to go up a quality level. The vents actually work! The sun visor is a tad light, but it works.

post #6 of 15 Old 02-18-2017, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdavis984 View Post
Jacket - PowerTrip Blackhawk: well ventilated leather jacket with minimal styling. it fits me well, and is well broken in. Obsolete.

Commuter Pants: Joe Rocket Ballistic pants - I wear them over my jeans or dress pants to get to work. They get the job done.
Sport Riding Pants: Icon TiMax pants - Love them. It's so hard to find sporty textile pants. mine are gen1

Gloves: Sedici Rapido race gloves. They get the job done. I've spent WAY too much on gloves, and the best ones I've ever had were $60 gel palm gloves from HD. They're 15 years old and still going strong, but get worn rarely.

Boots: Sedici Ultimo Race boots - I LOVE wearing race boots to commute in. I didn't know what MC boots were all about until I tried them. I hate riding with work boots now.

Helmet: AGV K3 SV Vulcan. I have worn AFX helmets since I started riding. They make great helmets, but I was ready to go up a quality level. The vents actually work! The sun visor is a tad light, but it works.
I've read good things about Sedici but the online retailer I got my stuff from doesn't seem to carry their line. How are race boots for walking around, or do you bring a change? I like how the TCX's feel but I feel like my shin and upper ankle are pretty exposed still. Considering going with a full boot but most seem to be either race boots or cruiser-style boots, neither feel appropriate for walking around to me.

Al
post #7 of 15 Old 02-18-2017, 08:04 PM
Optio

Garage
I wear an HJC CL16 lid, Dianese Bonneville Slim jeans (chicken legs), TCX boots (they look like Chucks and I can wear them to work with the riding jean without anyone knowing the wiser) and Joe Rocket jacket. Also have an Icon mesh for the summer, but want to get a different one. Joe Rocket fits me better. For gloves, I have a set of Joe Rocket cafe gloves and a set of Icons that I switch back and forth. I also have a set of Joe Rocket mesh over pants that I wear if i have to dress for a client meeting.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #8 of 15 Old 02-18-2017, 09:44 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Helmet: Icon Alliance Dark: i don't like it. The visor lock is extremely difficult to use. Hard to get your visor opened.

Jacket: Icon Overlord Textile. Love it! Great Airflow but it's not good for cold weather. I would layer up.

Gloves: Joe Rocket Resistor Gloves: Fit perfectly and great feel.

Pants: Levis for now

Boots: Sidi Vertigo: Bought these used for 50 bucks and i love them. Great feel and a ton of replaceable ce armor

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
1990 GS500 (POS first bike)
2015 Honda Grom (City destroyer)
post #9 of 15 Old 02-19-2017, 05:45 PM
Josh

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahung12 View Post
I've read good things about Sedici but the online retailer I got my stuff from doesn't seem to carry their line. How are race boots for walking around, or do you bring a change? I like how the TCX's feel but I feel like my shin and upper ankle are pretty exposed still. Considering going with a full boot but most seem to be either race boots or cruiser-style boots, neither feel appropriate for walking around to me.

Sedici is one of the house brands for Cycle Gear. You won't find them at any other online retailers.

Race boots are TERRIBLE for walking, even a little bit. It's almost as bad as walking in ski boots. I keep a pair of shoes at work so I can change when I get there.

post #10 of 15 Old 03-02-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
I quickly realized just how much "seasonality" is emphasized when you're moving at speeds. My hands become numb in about 15 minutes with my Rev'It gloves when I was out in 45'ish weather. I definitely need some colder weather gloves. Suggestions?

Also finding:
1. Dainese Hip Pads that I got to go with my Evo jeans seem to be pretty lacking in terms of coverage, compared to other pads on the market. I should have gone with something beefier to begin with. Also they sit very low in the hip pad pockets, where it covers more of my outside upper thigh than my actual hips. Bummer.
2. I need a summer jacket. There's no way I'm my Schott is going to work when it gets warm. I'd rather stay away from mesh (lack of abrasion resitance) and leather (too hot, won't wear), so I guess that leaves me with textile. I'm leaning towards Saint's "Unbreakable" Jacket as it seems to offer the best abrasion resistance out of textile jackets but reviews are scarce. Any other ideas?

Al
post #11 of 15 Old 03-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahung12 View Post
I quickly realized just how much "seasonality" is emphasized when you're moving at speeds. My hands become numb in about 15 minutes with my Rev'It gloves when I was out in 45'ish weather. I definitely need some colder weather gloves. Suggestions?

Also finding:
1. Dainese Hip Pads that I got to go with my Evo jeans seem to be pretty lacking in terms of coverage, compared to other pads on the market. I should have gone with something beefier to begin with. Also they sit very low in the hip pad pockets, where it covers more of my outside upper thigh than my actual hips. Bummer.
2. I need a summer jacket. There's no way I'm my Schott is going to work when it gets warm. I'd rather stay away from mesh (lack of abrasion resitance) and leather (too hot, won't wear), so I guess that leaves me with textile. I'm leaning towards Saint's "Unbreakable" Jacket as it seems to offer the best abrasion resistance out of textile jackets but reviews are scarce. Any other ideas?
I would just get some heated gloves or grips. I hate thick gloves they take away all the feeling from your controls. As for the jacket get an icon overlord textile jacket. $150 and it comes with ce armor in the back, shoulder and elbows. It flows a ton of air without the quilted vest liner. Has great abrasion in the slide areas

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
post #12 of 15 Old 03-02-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Appreciate the input. I do see a lot of reviews from folks unhappy with bulky gloves. I'm confused about heated grips - isn't that just protecting the underside of your hands, leaving the back of the hand and fingers still exposed to wind chill (assuming I stick with my current perf'd gloves)? Or are they so effective that the entire hand is kept warm?

Have you ever had the pleasure of testing out the Overlord's abrasion resistance?

Al
post #13 of 15 Old 03-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
i've actually never used heated gloves but i did try some shitty winter gloves. I hated them. Check out heated gloves reviews, people love them. I have never crashed in my overlord jacket but the material looks beefy enough. here are some reviews of it

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...textile-jacket

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
post #14 of 15 Old 03-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Pilus Posterior

+1 on the "hard to find something that does everything".

I bought some denim jeans with kevlar all over the back and down the legs. It was the only pair at the cycle gear shop that had hip and knee pads with kevlar.

Sadly, they seemed to wear a bit quick on the front. The denim is falling apart quickly, but everything else is good. I tried to patch the denim, but I think it's too far gone.

IMO, it's pretty hard to get a combo that actually works for you. I have a number of products just fail. Bilt gloves suck, they actually hurt.

One problem is that you kind have to buy and try before you know.

post #15 of 15 Old 03-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Helmet: Akoury AK-88
Gloves: None
Jacket: Hanes Plain White Tee- Medium
Pants: Nike Gym Shorts
Boots: Nike Flip Flops

I like this set of gear, very lightweight and mobile. This is good for when I'm cutting up traffic at top speed during rush hour. The light weight of my gear helps me go faster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode