Pinlock - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 04-21-2008, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Pinlock

Does anyone have any experience with this product?

http://www.pinlockusa.com/

I need to replace both my dark smoke and clear visors and came across these inserts. I often leave the house during the day and do not return until after dark but carrying both my visors is inconvenient. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-21-2008, 12:23 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I confused about exactly how that system works, the website is not real informative.

post #3 of 14 Old 04-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

there are photochromatic shields available

I put the 2nd shield inside a sack/sock whatever (actually socks scratch, so don't use them) and then throw that inside my jacket around the side of my belly...never notice it.

Many newer jackets have that pocket built in.

post #4 of 14 Old 04-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I don't know anyone that has it, but WebBikeWorld seemed to like it. Try it out and give us a review on your experience.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/anti-fog-visor/

post #5 of 14 Old 04-21-2008, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
I confused about exactly how that system works, the website is not real informative.
It replaces your existing shield with a clear one with two pins on it. Then you purchase the inserts that come in different colors and lock them onto the inside of the shield via the pins. It works like a double paned window, trapping air between the insert and the shield, preventing it from fogging up.

I'm not really concerned too much with fogging, though; if it actually works that's a bonus. I'm considering buying the system so that I can easily change from a dark tinted insert during the day, to a clear insert at night.

This page shows the system in 3d.

http://www.pinlockusa.com/3d/

post #6 of 14 Old 04-21-2008, 12:47 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Clear lense for me, sunglasses work.

post #7 of 14 Old 04-21-2008, 12:51 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

I guess I don't see the advantage since you would still have to carry a different color shield insert, how is that better than carrying a clear shield and a tinted shield?

I usually only use my dark tinted shield when I'm taking off for a day ride in bright sunny conditions, otherwise sunglasses and the clear shield work fine.

post #8 of 14 Old 04-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I stuck one those edge sticky no fog thingies on my helmet visor. It worked for a while, but this weekend I realized it didn't age well and distorts the image. So thanks to your thread I just ripped it out and can see again!

post #9 of 14 Old 04-21-2008, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
I guess I don't see the advantage since you would still have to carry a different color shield insert, how is that better than carrying a clear shield and a tinted shield?
I somewhat agree with you here, that's why I was hoping that someone had already tried one. I guess I'm just hoping that because the insert is smaller, that it will be less of a nusance to carry...?

Quote:
I usually only use my dark tinted shield when I'm taking off for a day ride in bright sunny conditions, otherwise sunglasses and the clear shield work fine.
In El Paso, 350 days out of the year are bright sunny conditions = excellent riding year round!

post #10 of 14 Old 04-23-2008, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Shield's on order. I'll update in a couple of weeks.

post #11 of 14 Old 05-01-2008, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Shield and lens came in yesterday. I have not yet tried it on the bike but it seems there might be a certain level of distortion that would make using it unsafe. I hope to try it out today if the wind would just die down; want to try and avoid sandblasting the new shield on its first use if at all possible. As far as it solving the problem of carrying two shields, now that I see how flexible the lens is, I'm confident that I will be very happy with this product. As for its anti-fog characteristics, it seems effective, but I don't feel qualified to make that assumption just yet.

post #12 of 14 Old 05-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

You should not get much fogging in El Paso. At least I don't think you would.

post #13 of 14 Old 05-02-2008, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Ok, so I rode around with this thing a little yesterday and this morn. IMHO, I do not believe the benefits outweigh the risk. The lens certainly remedies having to carry two shield, but because the lens does not completely cover the shield, it gave me that same annoying feeling ones gets when your sunglasses keep falling to the tip of your nose. Distortion only occurs around the edge of the lens, not as bad as I had thought it was going to be. However, it forces you to stay upright in order to see clearly, so definitely do not buy this system if you prefer an aggressive stance; DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY CAN OCCUR! Finally, and probably most annoying to me, would be the fact that it greatly hinders your peripheral vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
You should not get much fogging in El Paso. At least I don't think you would.
This is absolutely true. I very rarely have problems with fogging out here. Winter nights are chilly enough to create a little fogging at stops, but that never bothered me too much because as soon as I start moving it clears right up. I'll probably still use it for a couple of weeks to see if I get used to it; if not maybe I'll donate it to someone who would better be able to test its anti-fog characteristics, since that's what the system is actually marketed for.

post #14 of 14 Old 05-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Discen

my nolan xlite helmet has the pinlock pins already on the visors as well as pins on the outside for tear offs. The ones I have seen from nolan cover the entire portion of the visible part of visor, so no foggy ring or anything. Also I think they stick right to the inside of the visor, not gap between them and the visor. I might check it out, as I can see the yellow one they offer would be convenient. Also might check into the exterior tear offs as locust season is this summer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode