Perfect Hair - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Thumbs down Perfect Hair

I've visited two states (HI & CO) without helmet laws. What surprises me is most there ride fully unprotected, as in tshirt/shorts/sandals! Please inform all your Bros/Sis of the accident injury stats with no gear.

Ride Safe with ATGATT!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 08:44 AM

+1

http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content...rashqueen.html

This article should change ANYONE'S mind about riding unprotected.

post #3 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-twin lady View Post
+1

http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content...rashqueen.html

This article should change ANYONE'S mind about riding unprotected.
Yup, major skin grafts. The pictures say it all.

post #4 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

It's not recommended to ride without gear, but I believe this is a free country and we should not have helmet laws anywhere. My choice, my bike, my life.

And yes, I do always wear one. But I shouldn't be required to.

2 > 4
post #5 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaStreetfigh View Post
It's not recommended to ride without gear, but I believe this is a free country and we should not have helmet laws anywhere. My choice, my bike, my life.

What happens if the rider of the motorcycle doesn't have insurance? Who pays the bill?

post #6 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post
What happens if the rider of the motorcycle doesn't have insurance? Who pays the bill?
I said gear. Not insurance. Noone should be allowed to operate public roads without insurance.

2 > 4
post #7 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaStreetfigh View Post

Couldn't agree more and although I very seldom rode with a helmet growing up, I do 99% of the time now. That 1% that I may venture out should be my choice, not someone else's.

Should something bad happen on my cycle, four-wheeler, horse, anything.. My family has my instructions and wishes to just pull the plug.

post #8 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

I have to agree with everyone that helmet laws are no good.

That being said, I have another idea. Let the insurance companies take care of it. You sign a waiver stating that you will always wear armored clothing and a DOT approved helmet. If you don't want to sign the waiver, your insurance goes up. If you sign the waiver and get hurt while not wearing your gear, no insurance payout. Ought to lower the rates for those of us that wear gear, and get more people to wear the stuff. Just a thought...

-Joe
post #9 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

I thought ins. co's were in favor of not wearing a helmet because death is cheaper for them than serious injuries.

post #10 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post

That being said, I have another idea. Let the insurance companies take care of it. You sign a waiver stating that you will always wear armored clothing and a DOT approved helmet. If you don't want to sign the waiver, your insurance goes up. If you sign the waiver and get hurt while not wearing your gear, no insurance payout. Ought to lower the rates for those of us that wear gear, and get more people to wear the stuff. Just a thought...
The problem with this is that whoever walks into a public hospital emergency room must be treated and cannot be turned away. It doesn't matter whether or not you have insurance, they still have to treat you. This, by the way, is one of the ways the illegal immigrants are bleeding the taxpayers dry.

So if a motorcyclist gets hurt on his bike as a result of not wearing a helmet and gets brought to a public hospital's emergency room, he gets treated. If he doesn't have insurance, guess who pays the bill? .. it isn't him.

post #11 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
I thought ins. co's were in favor of not wearing a helmet because death is cheaper for them than serious injuries.
Maybe true, but no one can predict who will die and who will not.

post #12 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Maybe true, but no one can predict who will die and who will not.
Maybe not, but I give two to one odds against the guy without a helmet surviving...

-Joe
post #13 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Insurance be damned, state law without regard, I will wear a helmet, and gear. I don't worry about the person who doesn't, I worry about me.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #14 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Insurance be damned, state law without regard, I will wear a helmet, and gear. I don't worry about the person who doesn't, I worry about me.
+1

post #15 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Do not write laws to save me from myself.
Do not claim that $$$ is why you are limiting my freedom.

BS health insurance costs are what costs us money. But it is a money maker for business. So instead of fixing a healthcare issue, it is the uninsure motorcyclists fault (or immigrants fault) the state has to pay out bookoo bucks.

BS!

Lay blame where is belongs, do not project - or we will all be walking in bubbles and driving mid 1980s Volvos to save the countries savings account.

--

On topic - I encourage those I know to ride responsibly. It is more important that gear alone.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #16 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
Do not write laws to save me from myself.
Do not claim that $$$ is why you are limiting my freedom.

BS health insurance costs are what costs us money. But it is a money maker for business. So instead of fixing a healthcare issue, it is the uninsure motorcyclists fault (or immigrants fault) the state has to pay out bookoo bucks.

BS!

Lay blame where is belongs, do not project - or we will all be walking in bubbles and driving mid 1980s Volvos to save the countries savings account.

--

On topic - I encourage those I know to ride responsibly. It is more important that gear alone.
Sounds like you're calling for universal health care. I totally agree!

BTW, you should go watch Michael Moore's latest movie "Sicko". It really shines the spotlight on how f*cked up the health care system in this country really is.

post #17 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

No, this would be a whole other conversation, but I do not support universal healthcare for many reasons.

However, there is a time to say enough is enough and it is time to put something in place to prevent the obscene overcharges made by todays hospitals and private physicians.

Spoiler:
post #18 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Quote:
BTW, you should go watch Michael Moore's latest movie "Sicko". It really shines the spotlight on how f*cked up the health care system in this country really is.
BTW, if Michael Moore would spend more time presenting the truth than spinning the truth, I would be interested in what he has to say. His topics may be important, but his presentation has destroyed in integrity in my book.

-just my opinion, not up for debate

Spoiler:
post #19 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post

However, there is a time to say enough is enough and it is time to put something in place to prevent the obscene overcharges made by todays hospitals and private physicians.

My little run-in with a kitchen knife last month and my attempt at fileting my leg cost the insurance company 798.00 for the emergency room visit and 202 or 212.00 for perscription costs. The 800.00 was bad enough to suture my leg, but 200.00 for a weeks worth of a generic narcotic (pain pill) and a weeks worth (21) pills of an antibiotic is nuts.

My dad recently had his knee replaced. The artificial knee alone was just over 20,000 dollars. A machined part that if it were for one of our bikes would have been no more than a few hundred at best.

The health care system is a complete joke anymore and the over charges that they scam us all for one way or another.

post #20 of 27 Old 07-09-2007, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Good discussion and thanks for all your comments. It would be Utopia if we didn't burden society legislating laws for common sense. Everyone must take personal responsibility for THEIR actions.

Please travel safely and have fun!

post #21 of 27 Old 07-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post

+1 same with seat belt laws for adults IMO.

post #22 of 27 Old 07-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

In countries with socialized medicine, the justification for these kind of laws is to keep the medical costs down. The rationale being that if there are no such laws, more people will get injured and end up using the health system. This idea raises it's head here from time to time as justification for these laws. However, in the case of this country, the laws are advocated by the health insurance companies to enable them to make more money by paying less claims.

post #23 of 27 Old 07-18-2007, 03:29 AM

you know, i hate helmet hair but logic tells me that it would be wise to done my helmet and gear on every time i ride.

as for "road rash queen":

Quote:

Riders can't insulate themselves from death or dismemberment. But wearing the proper riding gear can help lessen whatever injuries result when a crash occurs.

Brittany Morrow learned that lesson the hard way.

In September 2005, Morrow, a 22-year-old Albuquerque, N.M., resident, climbed on the back of a 2004 Suzuki GSX-R750 operated by her friend, Shaun. She was an "experienced" passenger, but hadn't ridden in a while...
well, lesson learnt.

here's something a came across recently:

Quote:

I worked a crash last night involving a bike {cruiser type} and a car.
The biker was over 60 y.o. and was enjoying the scenery. The car was stopped in the left lane waiting to turn into a lot.

Biker didnt see car until the last second and attemtped a swerve left {oncoming traffic lane! 40+ speed limit}
His right crash bars, floor boards caught the cars left rear and slammed him down HARD. He then flew over the bars onto the roadway. HARD. Into the oncoming lane of traffic. Luckily no one hit him.

He had a huge gash on his helmetLESS head, bleeding from nose, ears and I think from his mouth.
Medics took him quickly and they later on updated he was more alert once they got to the E.R. and should be fine.

His family called later and said he has broken vertebraes {plural}, 2 broken wrists, facial fractures etc.
He is in his 60s so his recovery time is much longer and harder.

ATGATT..
Oh and PAY ATTENTION TO THE CARS AROUND YOU!!!!

post #24 of 27 Old 07-18-2007, 05:41 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Yea, my first harsh lesson into the importance of gear happened about 10 years ago. I was in college and was riding my CB550K. I had a "the Fonz" style leather jacket that I spottily wore, but on this particular day it was hot, and I was "only going a couple miles". About 1/2 way to my destination, I realized that I hadn't brought something that I needed, so I turned around and headed back to the dorm. As I was turning into the parking lot at the dorm, at no more than 10mph, my rear wheel hit an unseen spot of gravel, and down I went. Even at that slow speed, my jeans were shredded at the knee, and my left forearm was one bleeding sore from the elbow to about 3" below the wrist, complete with bits of tar and gravel fused to my skin.

It wasn't severe enough for hospital treatment, but it still took a long time to heal, hurt like hell, and itched for a good year+ after that. I still have some remnants of a scar on my arm, and ever since then, I try to live by ATGATT. If 5-10mph will take your skin off, I can't imagine what 50-80 would do...we're talking down to the bone.

All in all, I consider it a good lesson learned cheaply and at no real loss to myself.

I've got a picture somewhere on film...if I can find it, then find a scanner, I'll upload some pics.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #25 of 27 Old 07-19-2007, 12:56 AM

recent posting from "road rash queens" myspace:

Quote:

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Rider Down

A good friend ... went down yesterday on his way to the store for cigarettes. We were all at Rad's Cycle celebrating with fireworks and a BBQ when he jumped on to go for a short ride.

He dodged around a semi-trailer turning right into a local warehouse and went head on into a Honda CRV... the cops estimate he was going between 50-60 and the woman driving the CRV was going around 45. Theres a possibility that she ran him over after he hit the windshield.

He wasn't wearing his helmet or any other gear. Right now his injuries are massive, with internal bleeding, broken bones, blood clots, and infection spreading throughout his body. There's a possibility that he could lose his legs and die from infection. He is in a medical coma and will be in critical condition until further notice. The doctors and his family are requesting no visitors at all for at least a week, moybe longer...
she got alot of work to do if her friend's are still not paying attention to her supposed preaching's about ATGATT!

post #26 of 27 Old 07-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Road Rash Queen or what ever she calls herself is a dumb ass........

post #27 of 27 Old 07-25-2007, 01:32 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

HA!!! another name that came up at the bbq.

At least w/ no helmet, don't have to worry about falling off @ 120...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode