Not So Weather Proof Anymore - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 10-21-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Not So Weather Proof Anymore

Most of my gear claims to be waterproof. I've only been in a few bad rain storms and would say their claims were true...in the beginning.

I have a Teknic textile jacket with the made-in rain liner. I have FieldSheer Mercury 2.0 pants and Joe Rocket Meteor boots that claim to be water proof. The first few times in the rain, they were okay, but I got caught in the rain about a week ago and had wet spots on my pants and my arms were wet. My socks were getting wet as well.

How long should this gear be waterproof? I've never been down in it, I hand wash as instructed, and I treat it well by hanging it up when not in use. What's the deal?

Press Any Key To Continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-21-2010, 02:18 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

They say waterproof, but like you said, they're only waterproof for so long. Water-resistant should be more the term used. But usually a of people around these parts use Nikwax on their textiles and leathers to increase the 'water-proofing'.

Sometimes you can find them in outdoor shops like Cabellas or REI...or order them online.

Here's NikWax literature:
http://www.nikwax-usa.com/cmsdata/Do...BikeMPL2-1.pdf

post #3 of 24 Old 10-21-2010, 02:34 PM
The Cripple

what he ^^^ said. they're never waterproof as claimed. they can resist water but the question is how long as stated. it also has to do with how much water is being dealt with at the time as well. for example, my rain gear can handle an all day rain of mist (typical for oregon) all day long with no problems, but if i get into a hard downpour for 30-45 minutes of constant riding, then they start to get damp, borderline leak. if it's on the freeway and i'm caught in the whitewash (water blown up by other cars/trucks on the roads) then it is less. very situational. the key is to layer your rain gear correctly so that the water that does run off or drip or whatever has no chance of getting in between those layers. for example for rain boots, my jeans get tucked into the rain boots, zipped and velcroed, then the rain pants go over the jeans and boots and zipped/velcroed. the boots i found that work best in the rain are the ones that are 1 piece for the entire foot, and then zip and velcro on the inside of the legs.

the gloves and jacket is a toss up. if you layer your gloves over your jacket then water will run onto your jacket and run off with no issues so long as you're moving at speed. the second you stop or slow down enough, the water runs down your arms and into the cuff of the gloves., eventually working its way to the palms and fingers. yet if you layer the gloves inside the jacket, then you have the opposite problem. ive found that its best to layer the gloves outside of the jacket and use a glove that has an "extender" that can bunch up or tighten the cuff tight against the jacket to reduce water running into the cuff at stops or low speeds. if you dont have anything of the sort, buy some or use rubberbands heh.

ive found my gloves get soaked no matter what brand i use after a period of time riding in consant rain due to the outside of the hands/fingers being exposed. it really helps to have a plastic or nylon outer shell to slip over the gloves to reduce exposure to water itself. higher end gloves will have this feature built into them that you can slip on anytime (not while riding ofc). but even that can only do so much. next step is hand guards which is on my wishlist for christmas heh.

the key factor is to keep your core warm and dry. you can still focus and ride for much longer with your fingers, hands, toes, feet being cold/wet than you can with your core being cold/wet and your fingers, feet, etc being warm/dry. hope all of that rambling helps.

post #4 of 24 Old 10-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

I have a couple of Darien jackets(aerostich) and First Gear overpants.

The Jacket can be laundered per instructions, but it will require a generous spray of Scotchguard on the exterior; and depending upon it's age/wear, a re-sealing of the seams to remain waterproof.

The overpants are absolutely waterproof and have yet to be washed.

A lot of moisture can run through zippers, seams, gaps between the outer garments, and down your neck if you don't close them off properly.

You want the water to bead up and blow off at speed. Once it penetrates the fabric or pools, you are going to get soaked.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #5 of 24 Old 10-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Yep, agreed. I have been through several pants and jackets. They all leak at the crotch, stomach and shoulder area.

post #6 of 24 Old 10-21-2010, 03:54 PM
just ride it...

I've got a Tenkic Chicane (sp?) textile that claims multi-layer waterproofing, i think I stayed mostly dry the first rain I was in, after that, I get soaked, my arms more than anything.

post #7 of 24 Old 10-21-2010, 04:34 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

post #8 of 24 Old 10-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I have only had luck with gore-tex stuff. Anything that says its waterproof is only resistant to a certain point. Unless its a rubber suit or something similar.

post #9 of 24 Old 10-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I agree with myztical. If it doesn't say goretex then it probably isn't waterproof. I have the fieldsheer mercury pants as well which say they are waterproof. Haven't had to test them yet. I also have shift racing ranger rain pants. They are all day 100% downpour proof. Field tested. The subtle difference is, the mercury is a motorcycle riding pant with armor that is "waterproof". The ranger is rain gear for a motorcycle. No padding no armor. Riding gear that is waterproof needs a waterproof membrane like gore-tex to work. A rain jacket is a waterproof membrane. You just need to find one suitable for riding. Just my thoughts on the matter. Even gore-tex will start to pass water after a while. Most of our wet gear the army issues is gore-tex. After sleeping all night in a gore-tex sleeping bag during a downpour, I can attest to the passthrough.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #10 of 24 Old 10-22-2010, 10:30 AM
The Cripple

i use a pair of first gear rain pants and never had them leak on me yet. also use a frank thomas rain jacket and hasnt leaked either. has gotten a little damp 2 areas due to how much water i was riding through which was expected.

post #11 of 24 Old 10-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Why not?

you are doing it all wrong! you need to drive fast enough to have the rain evaporate almost as soon as it hits you.

post #12 of 24 Old 10-24-2010, 03:52 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
you are doing it all wrong! you need to drive fast enough to have the rain evaporate almost as soon as it hits you.
I like the way you think, Mr.!

ďIn my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.Ē
General George S. Patton
post #13 of 24 Old 03-28-2011, 08:01 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

How about those with riding suits, non leather ? I'm in the market for one but can't afford the Aerostitch product. looking at the Joe rocket survivor and the Olympia Phantom. The Oly has 2000 denier. The JR 600 rocktex. wth is that?

post #14 of 24 Old 03-28-2011, 08:28 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

post #15 of 24 Old 03-28-2011, 08:40 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

post #16 of 24 Old 03-28-2011, 02:58 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Pulled the trigger on the olympia. should be here friday.

post #17 of 24 Old 04-01-2011, 07:02 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

On the truck for delivery as of 7:10 am. wheeeeee!

post #18 of 24 Old 04-01-2011, 12:08 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

It's here ! And holy shit is it gonna keep me warm!

There's the outer shell, then an inner shell, then the removeable liner.

It's pretty heavy and I'll probably break a sweat just putting it on in the morning.

The back protector is a little disappointing size-wise. It's about an 8 inch by 12 inch strip in the middle. Definitely ce but I was hoping for more.

It's made in china, and only comes with a one year warranty. If the high end suit makers warranty for lifetime, then that's worth the extra dough in my opine.

The other thing is, it could use more reflective material on the back, and the front. Most of the piping is on the arms with a split pipe across the chest. Then two quarter moon pieces up near the neck on the back. And the standard 1*8 patches on the lower legs.

But for daytime running, it's BRIGHT !

I can see how it might be less than waterproof. Lot's of stitching, lots of flaps, plenty of pocketry. probably not deluge-worthy. But, with three layers, I think it'll repel a fair amount before it gives up. I'll know more by the end of sunday. I ordered the 2XL and I'm 6 plus at 240 in the middle. I'll be back later with a fit-assesment

post #19 of 24 Old 04-01-2011, 03:41 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
It's here ! And holy shit is it gonna keep me warm!

There's the outer shell, then an inner shell, then the removeable liner.

It's pretty heavy and I'll probably break a sweat just putting it on in the morning.

The back protector is a little disappointing size-wise. It's about an 8 inch by 12 inch strip in the middle. Definitely ce but I was hoping for more.

It's made in china, and only comes with a one year warranty. If the high end suit makers warranty for lifetime, then that's worth the extra dough in my opine.

The other thing is, it could use more reflective material on the back, and the front. Most of the piping is on the arms with a split pipe across the chest. Then two quarter moon pieces up near the neck on the back. And the standard 1*8 patches on the lower legs.

But for daytime running, it's BRIGHT !

I can see how it might be less than waterproof. Lot's of stitching, lots of flaps, plenty of pocketry. probably not deluge-worthy. But, with three layers, I think it'll repel a fair amount before it gives up. I'll know more by the end of sunday. I ordered the 2XL and I'm 6 plus at 240 in the middle. I'll be back later with a fit-assesment
If it's as good as my gear I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'd like to hear the fit report too.

post #20 of 24 Old 04-01-2011, 03:49 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Well, with all the seams, not likely it'll rip because I'm too big in it. Another half size would be perfect. Restrictive in the shoulders/ across the chest. Raise arms over head and it pulls up into the crotch. Extra room there might help to defend ones self against the odd falling tree. But it's fine in the "bike" position. And I can crouch with little discomfort. T-shirt and thermal pants only. Anything else adds bulk and restrictiveness. Covers the boots well, and the sleeves will handle gauntlets inside, or out.

Since i'm unpracticed at the one-piece, it's a bit of work getting in and out of it. Plus, it's new. These things stretch, don't they? That alone should make it a better fit. Add a pressurized system and go to space. That's how it feels. Time for a test ride.

post #21 of 24 Old 04-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Aquilifer

Olympia gear gets good ratings... give us your impression after a few rides.

post #22 of 24 Old 04-03-2011, 05:33 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

First ride from Kenosha to Howell Mi on Saturday.

Cold. 30-40 degrees. I was cold. But not from wind getting in so much as body heat escaping ? Lower back was the bad spot. Better at 65 than 80, natch. Hit some rain, but not heavy. Non issue. Should have gone home today. Chickened out, BUT ! I looked at a welding hood, then 5 gal bucket, then a garbage can, then I asked my dad "Hey pop! what kind of junk you got lyin' around that we might be able to cobble a windscreen together with?"
Dad says, "let's go see". 3 minutes later in his wood shop he pulls out a 24 by 18 sheet of 1/4 inch clear lexan. Dads are awesome. 3 hours later--copcycle!
Pics and a full suit assesment tomorrow. Expecting wetness.

post #23 of 24 Old 07-22-2011, 10:38 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Did not get as wet as I expected that trip. BUT !

Today started with a deluge and I should have stood in my backyard with the suit on to test this part of it. I waited until it became a steady rain, suited up and headed out.

Gear

Icon mainframe 7 years old

Olympia phantom high vis over unedrwear and t-shirt only

Thick high socks under A-stars ridge boots, also 7 years old

Tourmaster med wight leather gloves.

Weather

72 deg steady rain, thunder

I headed straight for the highway. Went south about 7 miles then back north 15. The weather stayed constant. Avg to heavy traffic. Plenty of spray. Little splash. *Avoided getting into big truck side splash for safety reasons.

Returned home on streets to test sitting in rain. Didn't sit much.

As long as you're moving, little drip on neck from helmet.

* The suit didn't do quite as well as I had hoped. Right flank was wet, mid front small spot, left side large patch was wet. Collar of shirt very wet * Could be due to not fine tuning the neck on riders part.
This was after one hour of riding. I would say it tries very hard but falls short of waterproof. My phone and wallet were iin thigh pockets, they arrived home dry.

Amazingly, I didn't sweat as badly as I thought I would. Testament to the suits "venting". See above posts. Did not feel cold at any time.

Left foot was soaked. Didn't come over the top of boot or under suit.

I hope this helps my fellow w/t'rs in some way. Thanks for reading.

Rich

post #24 of 24 Old 07-22-2011, 10:40 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

P.S. The gloves failed to keep water out early.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode