New riding gear opinions - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 29 Old 05-24-2016, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
New riding gear opinions

I've decided I really need new gear. My current set is a pair of Icon Tmax jacket and pants that have done me well but are upwards of 9-10 years old and are starting to fall apart. None of the local store are bringing in much for motorcycle gear that isn't your standard cruiser style gear and I would order online but would like some opinions on who's making decent gear to help narrow my search.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-24-2016, 10:56 AM
Josh

Garage
Your request is 100% budget dependent. If your budget is unlimited, I would recommend Klim, Dianese, or RevIt. You may have other brands available in Canada as well. But, as a guideline, assume you will pay at least $200 for a jacket and $150 for pants. Figure out what features you need, and then find an online retailer with good prices. Local shops here in the USA don't stock gear either.

post #3 of 29 Old 05-24-2016, 11:20 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Just as important as the budget is knowing what conditions you plan to ride in. Cold weather is easy to deal with - just get electrics, at least gloves and jacket liner. If you plan to ride in the rain on purpose then you should not settle for anything less that bona fide Gore Tex liner material in whatever piece of gear you consider. Everything else is a compromise either in water resistance or breathability. It took me years to get there but I will never buy a piece of gear that isn't Gore Tex lined. Otherwise you'll have to carry dedicated rain gear. Vinyl is miserable - I have worn my last sauna suit. Frogg Toggs Road Toads is somewhat breathable. Also consider the quality of the armor the gear has and if upgrades are available. Is a proper back pad included in the cost of the jacket, etc. CE level 1 is basic. CE level 2 molecular armor like Sas Tec or D30 is worth the difference. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. As jmdavis984 stated, Klim, ReV'it! and Dainese are known for their quality and versatility. IMHO the top of the line would be Rukka. Joe Rocket, Fieldsheer, Cycle Gear house brands, etc. are entry level brands and should be avoided.

post #4 of 29 Old 05-24-2016, 11:27 AM
Josh

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
Joe Rocket, Fieldsheer, etc. are entry level brands and should be avoided.
I agree. That said, something is better than nothing. If your budget says you can only afford TourMaster, then that's what you get. It'll work better than jeans and a t-shirt, but won't last as long as high dollar gear.

I have a pair of Joe Rocket pants that are definitely at the end of their life, and they're only 5-6 years old.

post #5 of 29 Old 05-24-2016, 11:30 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

I went the cheaper route when I started riding and over time accumulated a lot of gear including jackets, gloves, pants, and rain gear to match the weather. There are a ton of options out there now and I realized a higher quality (although usually more expensive) option can replace multiple sets of cheap gear.

I've had very good experiences with Rev'it and my go-to jacket/pants for 80% of my riding in freezing temps to ~80F are a Rev'it Cayenne pro jacket + sand 2 pants. I have a mesh revit tornado jacket and pants for any temperatures higher. I narrowed down my gloves to a single set of Held air n dry gloves which work well between both hot and cold/wet weather due to the dual chamber design. For extended cold rides, getting a heated jacket liner performs much better and is a better value than getting a heavier jacket.

In general, claims of jacket liners being waterproof do not hold up. Maybe for Klim since they use goretex, but none of my Revit gear has kept the rain completely out. I would recommend getting a separate 2 piece rain suit.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #6 of 29 Old 05-24-2016, 11:56 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
In general, claims of jacket liners being waterproof do not hold up. Maybe for Klim since they use goretex, but none of my Revit gear has kept the rain completely out. I would recommend getting a separate 2 piece rain suit.
Agreed. Even Gore Tex recommends regular washings with Nik Wax wash-in and a tumble in a warm dryer to rejuvenate their material. With such care my ReV'it! Defender's Gore Tex liner has given stellar performance. My Sidi On Road Gore Tex boots are still waterproof after 7 years and tens of thousands of miles. Yeah, ReV'it's Hydratex material along with other gear maker's proprietary rain liners are worthless in a sustained deluge.

If you do go with cheaper gear, I understand the "motorcycle specific" Frogg Toggs work pretty well.
post #7 of 29 Old 05-24-2016, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
I use to be pretty cheap when it came to anything that involved gear but didn't mind spending on accessories for my toys. As I've got older it's almost switched 180 as I'm really careful on my accessory spending and don't mind spending on gear. I've found it makes for a better experience having good gear that has a better range of conditions it can be used in then every farkle that I can add to my toys that I won't get a very good return on.

That being said I would like to keep the budget to around $500($350-400US) but will spend a little more if necessary. I've just acquired a Gerbing heated jacket liner recently on close out from a local dealer and have heated grips so that will help in the cooler temps. I meet a lady yesterday that was riding a KTM super adventure and was wearing Klim gear. Very nice gear but I couldn't believe how much it is when I looked online!

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #8 of 29 Old 05-24-2016, 01:23 PM
Tesserarius

Join ADV and look through their classifieds. I've got an aerostitch jacket, rev'it tornado, aerostitch darian pants, olympia mesh pants, and boots for within your budget, and gloves. i know shipping to/from canada can be expensive so you might have to work with sellers but there is also guys in canada selling stuff.
I've gotten to try and number of things by buying it there and reselling it if it didn't quite work out.

I've got a size 50 rev'it tornado (first gen) i'm trying to sell because i want a size 48. i think it's posted here too, i gave up bumping it.

post #9 of 29 Old 05-24-2016, 03:12 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I'm a big fan of "first gear" gear... I've owned boots, gloves, jackets and pants from them and haven't had any complaints... price isn't bad either. My go to to buy gear has been motorcyclegear.com lately. They seem to buy up closeouts from the factory and have really good deals all the time.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #10 of 29 Old 05-24-2016, 03:42 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

If you want something warm, I was given a oxford melbourne jacket. I don't think it passes any wind, as I was sweating my ass off at83f/74% humidity doing 45mph+. The liner acts as a rain barrier, and it zips outside of the coat if you want your coat to stay dry. I haven't tried that yet, but for a cheap jacket it seems to have some nice features...including being an oven. If you like to go full tuck (chest to tank) you'll find it is very uncomfortable, as there is a snap that hits the clavicle.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #11 of 29 Old 05-25-2016, 06:45 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Sometimes you can snag a deal on Olympia or Alpinestars at motorcyclecloseouts.com

Combo Deals - Alpinestars Cape Town Jacket and Andes Drystar Pants Combo
post #12 of 29 Old 05-25-2016, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Sometimes you can snag a deal on Olympia or Alpinestars at motorcyclecloseouts.com Combo Deals - Alpinestars Cape Town Jacket and Andes Drystar Pants Combo
I was checking out there site and unfortunately they don't ship to Canada. I've been looking around and some of the Klim gear has caught my eye. The idea of a waterproof shell instead of a liner makes sense to me. Just can't quite get over price yet. The Held air and dry gloves are really interesting and would love to replace my Veloce gloves with them in the near future. Held is even making jackets and pants using the same idea as the gloves but it doesn't look like they are for sale in North America yet.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #13 of 29 Old 05-25-2016, 10:55 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedave View Post
I was checking out there site and unfortunately they don't ship to Canada. I've been looking around and some of the Klim gear has caught my eye. The idea of a waterproof shell instead of a liner makes sense to me. Just can't quite get over price yet. The Held air and dry gloves are really interesting and would love to replace my Veloce gloves with them in the near future. Held is even making jackets and pants using the same idea as the gloves but it doesn't look like they are for sale in North America yet.
I'm splitting hairs here but it might be worth noting that there is no such thing as a "waterproof shell." The same Gore Tex material that comes in the liner is simply bonded to the underside of the outer layer. I personally prefer the removable liner as it lets me stay comfortable in warmer temps. It's getting harder to find though. I suppose it must be more cost effective to produce gear with the bonded material. In fact, I believe the only jacket/pants currently available with a Gore Tex "drop liner" system is the ReV'it! Defender Pro - and it ain't cheap.
post #14 of 29 Old 05-30-2016, 08:54 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

Something with great ventilation with a wp liner would be a good set up, if you were only purchasing a single set. I have 3-4 different get ups for the type of ride and weather.
As far as brands, I have a few sets of Revit textile/mesh, and a few sets of Alpinestars leather. And a Pilot one piece.

I did have a Tourmaster jacket once - nice jacket, Id recommend that brand, too. Runs big.

post #15 of 29 Old 05-30-2016, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
Something with great ventilation with a wp liner would be a good set up, if you were only purchasing a single set. I have 3-4 different get ups for the type of ride and weather. As far as brands, I have a few sets of Revit textile/mesh, and a few sets of Alpinestars leather. And a Pilot one piece. I did have a Tourmaster jacket once - nice jacket, Id recommend that brand, too. Runs big.
I've been looking at gear with wp liners but haven't made any final decisions. I'm really thinking about picking up a Klim Blade jacket as it would be a wp shell that I could put my newly aquired Gerbing heated jacket liner under. Still not sure about what to look for with pants as I'm looking for something that I can use on the ZX9R without it bunching up to much. Most of the pants I've found that are wp are more geared towards adv riding.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #16 of 29 Old 05-30-2016, 11:11 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
I've been looking at gear with wp liners but haven't made any final decisions. I'm really thinking about picking up a Klim Blade jacket as it would be a wp shell that I could put my newly aquired Gerbing heated jacket liner under. Still not sure about what to look for with pants as I'm looking for something that I can use on the ZX9R without it bunching up to much. Most of the pants I've found that are wp are more geared towards adv riding.
I do NOT recommend a jacket with a removable "water proof liner". They are a joke. Get yourself a jacket with a water resistent shell (you'll still have to do maintenance on it) that has a built in sealed gore-tex waterproof inner layer. I bought a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket and I haven't looked back since!!!!

post #17 of 29 Old 06-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdavis984 View Post
Your request is 100% budget dependent. If your budget is unlimited, I would recommend Klim, Dianese, or RevIt. You may have other brands available in Canada as well. But, as a guideline, assume you will pay at least $200 for a jacket and $150 for pants. Figure out what features you need, and then find an online retailer with good prices. Local shops here in the USA don't stock gear either.

Rev'it Airwave is on sale as Airwave 2 hit the stores few months ago (if you're looking for summer clothes).
Good prices are on this site:
Search results for: Rev'it Airwave | MotoStorm [en]

post #18 of 29 Old 06-04-2016, 04:49 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

Quote:
There arent too many US offerings for sporty/wp/textile. Alpinestars may have a textile sport pant, but not wp.
If you start looking overseas, like fcmoto, I believe they carry pants like that.
I think Ive seen Komine out of Japan even put pucks on their sport textile pants.

post #19 of 29 Old 06-05-2016, 10:28 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
I do NOT recommend a jacket with a removable "water proof liner". They are a joke. Get yourself a jacket with a water resistent shell (you'll still have to do maintenance on it) that has a built in sealed gore-tex waterproof inner layer. I bought a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket and I haven't looked back since!!!!
To clarify, Cordura and similar fabrics used to make textile motorcycle gear are NOT inherently waterproof. Water resistance is achieved by using a breathable membrane (more or less). It makes no difference if that layer is bonded to the outer shell or in a stand alone drop liner. The difference is not in the configuration but rather in the material itself. Firstgear uses its own proprietary liner material they call Hypertex. ReV'it! calls their's Hydratex. These are inferior copies of the original waterproof breathable material called Gore Tex. It's the only one guaranteed not to leak. I have owned several brands including Firstgear, ReV'it! and even Olympia and they have all leaked either right away or within a couple of years - but Gore Tex works. If you intend to confidently ride in rain it's worth the money. If not, don't kid yourself. You'll be fine with lesser expensive gear, just don't expect it to keep you dry in a deluge. Get a set of Road Toads and be happy.
post #20 of 29 Old 06-05-2016, 10:31 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
To clarify, Cordura and similar fabrics used to make textile motorcycle gear are NOT inherently waterproof. Water resistance is achieved by using a breathable membrane (more or less). It makes no difference if that layer is bonded to the outer shell or in a stand alone drop liner. The difference is not in the configuration but rather in the material itself. Firstgear uses its own proprietary liner material they call Hypertex. ReV'it! Calls their's Hydratex. These are inferior copies of the original waterproof breathable called Gore Tex. I have owned several brands including Firstgear, ReV'it! and even Olympia and they have all leak right away or within a couple of years - but Gore Tex works. If you intend to ride in rain it's worth the money. If not, don't kid yourself. You'll be fine with lesser expensive gear, just don't expect it to keep you dry in a deluge. Get a set of Road Toads and be happy.
That's nice and all, but my Firstgear jacket is STILL going strong after taking near daily beatings in the northwet, and then faces the monsoon storms here. This'll be the 3rd one yet and all I can say is "bring it on".

post #21 of 29 Old 06-06-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
So I tried on a Klim Overland Jacket on the weekend. Going by Klim's sizing chart I should be a 2xl but that was way to big. Found a xl fit me pretty good and the dealer was willing to give me 20% off the price which put it cheaper than I could find online in Canada and $50 more than the blade jacket. It's at the higher end of what I wanted to spend but if I have to wait on pants for a bit that's fine, I'll just use my old ones for a bit longer. I tried sitting on the 919 with it and it felt good but am wondering if it could work on a sportbike as well. The Zx9r has a pretty relaxed position and I would put it between the 919 and a super sport so I'm hoping it would work on both.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #22 of 29 Old 06-06-2016, 03:38 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
So I tried on a Klim Overland Jacket on the weekend. Going by Klim's sizing chart I should be a 2xl but that was way to big. Found a xl fit me pretty good and the dealer was willing to give me 20% off the price which put it cheaper than I could find online in Canada and $50 more than the blade jacket.
EXCELLENT! Can't go wrong with that.
post #23 of 29 Old 06-12-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
So I decided to spend the money and went in to buy the jacket. I decided to try the pants as well while I was there. What I discovered is that Klim gear is sized weird and their cuts are all over the place! The pants I tried on we marked bigger than what I would normally wear but we're somehow to tight in the waist and gigantic in the legs. They had armour in the knees as well but had no way to adjust the legs so they would have never stayed in place in a crash. So I decided to try the jacket again. It fit pretty well in the upper body but then I noticed that it was way to big in the stomach area! I've got a bit of a belly so I found that weird as usually riding gear fits me snug in the stomach area. So now I have no idea what todo. If I had the money I would just buy a areostitch roadcrafter one piece suit and be done with it!

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #24 of 29 Old 06-12-2016, 04:37 PM
The Cripple

I've noticed that most motorcycle gear measurements are worse than women's pants: all over the place that doesn't make sense. Try on several different ones of the same size as well as +/- a size. Don't be afraid to go to other locations and try on the same things.

post #25 of 29 Old 06-13-2016, 09:59 AM
Josh

Garage
Quote:
What I discovered is that Klim gear is sized weird and their cuts are all over the place! So now I have no idea what todo. If I had the money I would just buy a areostitch roadcrafter one piece suit and be done with it!
I found that while I was shopping for gloves. I ordered some HELD gloves, and they were amazing, but just the distance between the heel of my thumb and pinky just wouldn't go in the glove. Alpinestars are the same way. Surprisingly, Dianese fit REALLY well.

Really all you can do is try something on. You're right, sizing is WAY too random to actually be usable.

post #26 of 29 Old 06-13-2016, 11:52 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

Just to input, my Revit gear has been solid with no leaks.

My Alpinestars 365 Gtx leaked, and Goretex replaced it with the newer Archer glove right away.

My Gtx Salomon shoes have been leakproof for years, just to prove that Goretex works as well.

post #27 of 29 Old 06-13-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
I've exhausted all my options near me so the next closest area where I could find gear is 5hrs away. I think I'm just going to have to use this as an excuse to do a road trip.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #28 of 29 Old 06-13-2016, 07:03 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
I've exhausted all my options near me so the next closest area where I could find gear is 5hrs away. I think I'm just going to have to use this as an excuse to do a road trip.
Sounds like a good excuse to me!

post #29 of 29 Old 06-19-2016, 06:24 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKutz_GO View Post
Join ADV and look through their classifieds. I've got an aerostitch jacket, rev'it tornado, aerostitch darian pants, olympia mesh pants, and boots for within your budget, and gloves. i know shipping to/from canada can be expensive so you might have to work with sellers but there is also guys in canada selling stuff. .
+1 I have a used Darien Jacket and Darien Pants both purchased on ADVrider.

The key for me is a waterproof shell, long sleeve "t", and basketball shorts under the pants. In the Winter, I add an electric liner and flannel pj bottoms.

Happy hunting.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode