Need some options on gear - gloves and under liner - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 06-18-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Need some options on gear - gloves and under liner

I have these scorpion exo gauntlets - i hate them.
www.motorcycle-superstore.com/10975/i/scorpion-magnum-gloves

They dig into my thumb and I can't stand having things on my hands lol - I used to bitch at my football coach all the time asking if I could take my gloves off haha

At any rate I'm looking at some good gloves for the street (don't track my bike) I like having gauntlets so I can tuck in my jacket. What gloves are out there that feel great and are basically like not wearing gloves at all but still very protected. I know this is pretty much an oxy moron but what gloves have a reputation for fitting very well and also offer great protection - price point of $200-300 or so

I have been recommended the "racer" brand of gloves from a couple of my buddies that ride. Does anyone have experience with them? I have pretty large hands but I can get away with wearing an xl in most brands. Local motorcycle shop was useless

I also need to get some liners - I have draggin kevlar jeans but it's a pita wearing them over my work clothes (work in an office - wear slacks and dress shoes)

Is there any other options that are like the kevlar liner from the draggin brand ?

Also I will need to get some actual motorcycle boots eventually. Currently I just wear my old work boots that are steel toed and reinforced in the heel but they are worn and I should probably get something a bit nicer with a bit more shin protection - also my feet (like my hands) sweat like crazy. Need some good ventilation. Gore-tex is the best fabric here?

thanks all for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I have Alpinestars SP-2 gloves. Love them, they fit very natural and protection is great (track day tested).

Just picked up a pair for cheap on SportbikeTrackgear.com clearance.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 18 Old 06-18-2014, 08:12 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

I've had the same problem with gloves with digits too short for me causing discomfort. Here's my solution:

My criteria was a summer weight glove with bona fide Gore Tex waterproofing. I absolutely love them. They're light weight but have beefy protection parts and the expanded goat on the back of the hand is incredibly flexible. That said, try them on first if you can. Otherwise you can have one of the gear geeks try on all the gloves for you and make recommendations as they did for me.

post #4 of 18 Old 06-19-2014, 04:18 AM
Cornicen

If you are concerned about hot hands you should probably get perforated leather gloves that flow a lot of air and separate rain gloves or covers. If I was going to drop that much coin I'd look at Dainese, Held, and Rev'It but I'd make a trip to a good retailer to try them all on. Most should be willing to match the Internet for you. I have a* sp-2 as well and they are nice but I wouldn't buy again.

For boots I like TCX a lot for the street, they offer good protection and quality for a short boot. I have a waterproof pair and just ordered a mesh pair for summer.

Curious to see where you end up with over pants, I have firstgear tgp escape pants and am they are too hot for summer. Great for the other 3 seasons though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08 DR-Z400SM
WFOATT
post #5 of 18 Old 06-23-2014, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimedog View Post
If you are concerned about hot hands you should probably get perforated leather gloves that flow a lot of air and separate rain gloves or covers. If I was going to drop that much coin I'd look at Dainese, Held, and Rev'It but I'd make a trip to a good retailer to try them all on. Most should be willing to match the Internet for you. I have a* sp-2 as well and they are nice but I wouldn't buy again.

For boots I like TCX a lot for the street, they offer good protection and quality for a short boot. I have a waterproof pair and just ordered a mesh pair for summer.

Curious to see where you end up with over pants, I have firstgear tgp escape pants and am they are too hot for summer. Great for the other 3 seasons though.

So you liked the sp2 but wouldn't buy again? Why so?

What do you recommend?

I went to my local shop here and they have just a terrible selection. Plus the sales guy was more clueless than me about the gear lol. He never even heard of the "racer" brand or why gauntlets offer more protection...wtf!

post #6 of 18 Old 06-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S. View Post
So you liked the sp2 but wouldn't buy again? Why so?

What do you recommend?

I went to my local shop here and they have just a terrible selection. Plus the sales guy was more clueless than me about the gear lol. He never even heard of the "racer" brand or why gauntlets offer more protection...wtf!
I feel like the bulk of the protection is misplaced, the fit is a little off (could be me of course), and the finish isn't perfect. I can't help but feel like A* is overpriced and I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. If you don't have any good shops locally I'd place yourself in the hands of a great shop like revzilla over the phone and see what they recommend. I don't have personal experience but I have heard great things about Held.

08 DR-Z400SM
WFOATT
post #7 of 18 Old 06-24-2014, 07:43 AM
just send it.

Garage
I'm curious where you end up with pants as well. I've got a heavy pair of over-pants I wear when I have to change into shorts at work before heading out coach softball.

I don't wear full gantlet gloves, but I do like my Icon Pursuit Perforated gloves.

[This space for rent]
post #8 of 18 Old 06-24-2014, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
I'm curious where you end up with pants as well. I've got a heavy pair of over-pants I wear when I have to change into shorts at work before heading out coach softball.

I don't wear full gantlet gloves, but I do like my Icon Pursuit Perforated gloves.

I think i'm just going to buy the draggin kevlar liners. I don't see any other real option. Anyone have experience with these guys ?

Bohn Armor Pants
Bohn Armor - Product Detail

post #9 of 18 Old 06-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
I think i'm just going to buy the draggin kevlar liners. I don't see any other real option. Anyone have experience with these guys ?

Bohn Armor Pants
Those look sweet for when you are just riding but wouldn't an over pant be better for commuting?

08 DR-Z400SM
WFOATT
post #10 of 18 Old 06-24-2014, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimedog View Post
Those look sweet for when you are just riding but wouldn't an over pant be better for commuting?

Yeah I imagine so - however finding one with the same level of protection (I.E Armor!) seems to be proving difficult

post #11 of 18 Old 06-24-2014, 09:30 AM
Omnivore

Quote:

Bohn Armor Pants
I have a pair of these and really like them (the spandex, not the mesh). I wear them under a pair of kevlar reinforced cargo-style pants most of the year. The armor stays in place, and they are not as warm as you might think. I wear them in the NC summers where it is regularly 90 deg with high humidity... I don't find them any warmer than perforated leather. The mesh ones might be cooler.

I have had them for about 2 years, and they are wearing well. Just pop the armor out and throw them in the wash when they get stinky.

post #12 of 18 Old 06-24-2014, 10:28 AM
The Cripple

Seeing as how you have a jacket, gloves (needs replacing), but no boots, I think you should make boots your immediate highest priority! Please do yourself a favor and get boots asap!

I'm wearing an older version of axo boots that I use daily and has held up great for the past 3-4 years. Will be replacing them with a new pair due to the soles wearing down to the point I have no traction while walking on wet surfaces. Some parts of the soles are bald.

This will be my next replacement: http://www.axo.com/us/collection/str...r=black&size=7

I will be working in the office as well and what I've done is buy a pair of nice actual office shoes to leave at the office and when I arrive, simply change out if riding boots into office shoes. For the days where I have to travel to another office without office shoes, these riding boots will fit the bill nicely.

post #13 of 18 Old 06-24-2014, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Seeing as how you have a jacket, gloves (needs replacing), but no boots, I think you should make boots your immediate highest priority! Please do yourself a favor and get boots asap!

I'm wearing an older version of axo boots that I use daily and has held up great for the past 3-4 years. Will be replacing them with a new pair due to the soles wearing down to the point I have no traction while walking on wet surfaces. Some parts of the soles are bald.

This will be my next replacement: Striker 9to5 shoes

I will be working in the office as well and what I've done is buy a pair of nice actual office shoes to leave at the office and when I arrive, simply change out if riding boots into office shoes. For the days where I have to travel to another office without office shoes, these riding boots will fit the bill nicely.
I have boots, steel toe work boots but they work for me. Not sure how well they would hold up in a crash. Dang! Now I need to get boots too lol

I like the look of those axo boots! I have really wide feet though. Most of the motorcycle boots i have tried are very uncomfortable...unfortunatley

post #14 of 18 Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 AM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
This will be my next replacement: Striker 9to5 shoes
I cant imagine those would offer much ankle protection in the event of a crash.

[This space for rent]
post #15 of 18 Old 06-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
After a thoughtful evaluation of the relative importance of my various body parts, I decided my hands were being sorely neglected during my gear selection process. My final decision: Knox Handroids. Well worth the price of admission. I haven't crash tested them, but fit is absolutely superb once broken in properly. As with any well designed piece of riding gear, they disappear once on the bike. I never notice them at all when operating the controls. The protection is extremely well thought-out, and crash tests I've read seem to suggest the protection measures operate as advertised and designed. They also happen to look 384% badass. They're not cheap, but, unlike Joe Rocket and the like, you'll likely be able to use them for a long time even if they kiss pavement once or twice.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #16 of 18 Old 06-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
I have boots, steel toe work boots but they work for me. Not sure how well they would hold up in a crash. Dang! Now I need to get boots too lol I like the look of those axo boots! I have really wide feet though. Most of the motorcycle boots i have tried are very uncomfortable...unfortunatley
I have really wide feet as well and as you I found that most motorcycle boots were very uncomfortable. I ended up getting a good deal on a pair of Sidi vertigo corsa's which fit me great. The adjustability of them really helps them fit my wide feet and large legs. I'll cry the day they have to be replaced as I doubt I'll find a deal like I did with these.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #17 of 18 Old 06-25-2014, 09:00 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
I cant imagine those would offer much ankle protection in the event of a crash.
While I haven't crash tested these boots, I crash tested a similar boot that performed very well and did it's job. Ankle protection for the axo is about the same as ones I crash tested. That's why I felt comfortable with using them for the past 3-4 years.

Quote:
I like the look of those axo boots! I have really wide feet though. Most of the motorcycle boots i have tried are very uncomfortable...unfortunatley
I have wide feet as well. I went up half a size and fits good. I also have the same issue as you, most riding boots are narrow. The axo was wider than most of the narrow ones I tried. Best thing I can suggest is to find a place that carries them and go try them on.

post #18 of 18 Old 06-29-2014, 04:30 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

The only chance I take is wearing riding jeans over my shin/knee guards. And even then, Im still on the fence on whether I should have more protection. Gloves should have palm sliders (not pads), knuckle protectors, and armor around the wrist bone. I use GP Pro and GP Plus gloves. Boots, Ive put over 30k miles on Sidi Vertigos. Hard shin, ankle, and heel protection. Fully vented. I recently picked up Alpinestars Supertech boots, also vented. Getting hot is worth the extra protection, but like I said, I'm more hardcore with my gear. I went down with my Alpinestars 365 gloves in the winter. Palm sliders worked like they should. The Sidis worked, as well as my leather jacket. Jeans didnt do squat, I had deep bruising on my left hip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode