Modular Helmet Comparison. Vega Summit 3.0 vs. Gmax GM54s - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 04-06-2014, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
Modular Helmet Comparison. Vega Summit 3.0 vs. Gmax GM54s

Well, I felt I'd share a little experience I've had with my recent helmet purchases. I've had the Gmax for about a year now and the Summit 3.0 for a few days. I'll try to hit the key points to each and feel free to ask any questions.

GMAX GM54s.

Purchased for $127 from compacc.com. I bought this helmet to replace my aging Vega Summit XPV and noticed this was a very feature-packed modular helmet at a very affordable price. It offered an internal sunvisor, speaker pockets, easy-to-remove visor and lining, and the dinky light in the back.

It is a damn good quality helmet for the price. I was surprised to find the modular mechanism has actual metal hardware and offers a very crisp latch mechanism and easy one-hand operation. However, I found it to be very noisy on the interstate and after about half an hour it created a pressure point on the very top of my forehead. I removed the liner and sanded/massaged the area to better fit my head and have made it work pretty well.

The visor is very, very easy to remove and the visor itself seems very sturdy. As hard on equipment as I am, the visor still looks just as nice as it did the day I bought it. It cleans easily with soap and water, and doesn't seem to scratch easily at all.

Overall, this is a great looking helmet and superior quality for the price. I have been impressed with this helmet in almost every regard except for touring comfort and wind noise. Other than that, this helmet is a keeper.

VEGA SUMMIT 3.0-

Purchased on eBay for ~$110 shipped. I had very high hopes that this helmet would be as quiet and comfortable as my Vega Summit XPV. However, it didn't fit the bill at all. It is very comfortable to wear, as comfortable as my former Shoei RF-1100, but holy cow it's noisy.

It makes a dull roar even riding in town, and sounds like a hurricane on the highway. The modular mechanism is an absolute joke. It has plastic pins that slide in/out to 'lock' the helmet down. The drop-down sun visor doesn't come down far enough and gets obnoxious, not to mention it feels like I'm about to break the tiny tab that controls its position. I have had to slam the flip-up face just to get it to close properly, and it certainly feels like it won't be able to take this abuse constantly.

Overall I'm very disappointed with the Summit 3.0. I've looked up a few videos and it looks like the guys nearly break the visor getting it to come off, yet another thing I'm not fond of. The few times I've ridden with it and just cracked open the visor at a stoplight, and whenever I'd go to close the visor I'd have to make multiple attempts since the detents were very defined (due to being new) and the visor was thin and flimsy.

So, I have 3 helmets that all have something they're better than the other at. The retired Summit XPV was one of the quietest helmets (full face included) I've ridden with, the Gmax felt the most sturdy and best built/featured of the modulars) and the Summit 3.0 is one of the most comfortable/plush helmets.

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Chicken Strips

Garage
Have you ever tried one of the expensive brand modulars like Shoei or Aria? I tried on a few of the inexpensive ones and found them too heavy

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
post #3 of 10 Old 11-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Tirone

+1 on the GMAX.. its what im using.. and yes its noisy at 55mph.. its also bulkier than regular full face but thats to be expected with a modular.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-04-2014, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
About 2 rides after the initial review with the Vega Summit 3.0, I sold the thing on craigslist. It was the worst helmet I've ever had. I didn't even bother listing it in the WristTwisters classifieds since I didn't wish that helmet upon anyone

Now I purchased a Scorpion EXO-400 and have high hopes that it will be a good helmet for me. I haven't ridden with it yet, but as soon as the weather is decent I'll be able to review it.

The Gmax GM54s has been a faithful helmet and overall the best bang for the buck. I almost bought a Shoei Modular but they felt flimsy and on the heavy side (not to mention PRICEY). The latch mechanism of the Gmax has still held together after 100s, if not 1000s, of cycles up/down at just about every stoplight in the summer and fill-up at the pump.

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #5 of 10 Old 11-04-2014, 02:25 PM
PB

I bought this modular one and I really like it.

Amazon.com: HJC Helmets Sy-Max 3 Helmet (Matte Black, XX-Large): Automotive

The internal visor is great, it's easy to put on and off with gloves on, and it's ready for Bluetooth and Pinlock. I don't really have too much to compare it to from a noise perspective, but it seems alright to me.

post #6 of 10 Old 11-04-2014, 09:32 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipinoaviator View Post
However, I found it to be very noisy on the interstate and after about half an hour it created a pressure point on the very top of my forehead. I removed the liner and sanded/massaged the area to better fit my head and have made it work pretty well.
You know I'm not afraid to mod things but this scares the piss out of me. I wouldn't mess with a helmet liner. This is a classic symptom of having the wrong shape helmet. That forehead pressure might be amplified in a crash. I would try a longer oval. My philosophy is that a year old Shoei that fits bought cheap on ebay will be safer than a new cheap lid. The thing to remember is not all helmet brands or models are made for every noggin. The first step is to determine your head shape. Most helmet makers classify the shape of each model albeit adhoc as round oval, neutral oval to long or narrow oval. Shoei and Schuberth modulars are longer ovals as I understand is the AVG modular that's easier on the wallet too. HJC helmets may be the most round and modulars in general are in the neutral oval camp. Keep in mind much of this is based on my own experience trying on and buying helmets and perusing internet reviews, so it's best to try on helmets for yourself to find the shape that fits your head best.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-09-2014, 06:21 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I have two Shoei Multitec modulars, and I like them very well.

I also have a Roof Boxer modular that I LOVE! It's my go-to helmet for the past two years, and I plan to buy a new one perhaps next year.

My Roof helmet has been repainted in hi-viz orange...and I've had many comments from other drivers and from Cops as well about how eye-catching it is. Being visible is a plus!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #8 of 10 Old 11-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
I have two Shoei Multitec modulars, and I like them very well.

I also have a Roof Boxer modular that I LOVE! It's my go-to helmet for the past two years, and I plan to buy a new one perhaps next year.

My Roof helmet has been repainted in hi-viz orange...and I've had many comments from other drivers and from Cops as well about how eye-catching it is. Being visible is a plus!

Had to Google Roof Boxer....that's a badass helmet

post #9 of 10 Old 11-11-2014, 06:31 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Me too. Cool! My first helmet was an obscure Italian brand, FIM I think. I really loved it but they quit importing them and I couldn't find replacement shields.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-11-2014, 09:03 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
+1

Dude that is sweet! I just might have to give that a try lol. Shadow, how did you paint it high vis orange? Any pictures?

Looked at the Roof website, no U.S. dealers it seems? Shadow, how did you get yours?

Ever since I've tried on a Nolan helmet several years ago, I've been in love with them. Hated their price tag though. At the time the one I tried was about $800, and that was back when modular helmets were still relatively new. Here are the two Nolans I have my eye on currently.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/n...-hi-vis-helmet

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/n...-hi-viz-helmet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode