Michigan no helmet law - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Woodward Ave

Michigan no helmet law

Here in Michigan the powers that be have decided that our helmet law needed to be repealed. You are not required to wear a helmet anymore as long as you have the right amount of insurance. I want to know how your insurance company is going to find out you're not wearing a helmet.. I will always wear a helmet, but the majority of the guys riding around here stopped wearing them. I don't mind being in the minority though. My brain function is more important than fitting in. Where are you guys at on this one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Aquilifer

Wear mine all the time and when one of the big bugs splat against it I say thanks.

Rich

post #3 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Woodward Ave

post #4 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Two states I visit sometimes have no helmet law, South Carolina and Delaware. Makes me cringe every time I see someone without one. I wouldn't ride without one.

Like Rich, I'm thankful I wear a full face every time a big-ass bug splats on my faceshield.

post #5 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I caught way too many acorns to the faceshield to not wear a full helmet.

I just got back from SC this weekend. I find it hilarious when I see an idiot riding with a riding jacket, boots and gloves, but his helmet is on the back of the bike.

post #6 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 06:44 PM
The Cripple

yup, will always wear mine as well. just the other day i had a piece of lumber fly off of the back end of a semi-tractor (no trailer attached) and hit me square in the face. the only time i had to react was to turn my face to the side slightly and it bounced right off and went over the top. thank god for my full face helmet!

post #7 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 06:47 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I see it all the time when we're riding in PA, not for me, I'll always wear mine.

post #8 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Tyrone Shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Two states I visit sometimes have no helmet law, South Carolina and Delaware. Makes me cringe every time I see someone without one. I wouldn't ride without one.

Like Rich, I'm thankful I wear a full face every time a big-ass bug splats on my faceshield.
I'm in NC and it is a biiiiiiig ticket for not wearing a helmet. I'm less than 5 miles away from the SC line, and cops will sit there on weekends and practically print citations like money. (which it pretty much is to them). Either way, I ALWAYS wear my helmet no matter what state I'm in.

“You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.”-Ron Swanson
post #9 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Woodward Ave

I work on an intensive care unit and have seen one too many motor vehicle accidents that have caused closed head injuries.

post #10 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 07:25 PM
-

When I visited Hawaii, many years ago, I found out there wasn't a helmet law. It was such a foreign idea to me.

Regardless, I'm kinda surprised helmet laws are even required. If you're so determined to not wear your brain bucket, then, by all means, don't.

post #11 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 07:52 PM
919>food>beer

as to the statement of how the insurance companies knowing, they dont... the cops do when they pull you over and ask for a insurance card when you dont have one on... thats how it is here in Fla, where moto insurance isnt needed unless you are riding with out a helmet that is.

post #12 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Tirone

We didnt have to wear helmets in florida. I figure if you have nothing to protect up there then by all means go ahead and go helmetless lol. I was always amazed seeing someone riding down the highway at 100 with the helmet strapped on the seat behind them lol
I will always wear my fullface.

post #13 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Tirone

Welcome to Montana, no insurance or helmets required.

post #14 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Le So Cal Troll

no matter what kinda moto im on... whether it be a pit bike, dirbike, or street... full face helmet at the VERY least.

never understood those who want to ride a bike around with no helmet... i guess that gets the squids off the road and population.

post #15 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Tirone

In MI and WITH helmet

I don't need a law to tell me it's a good idea! Always with my helmet for safety AND the attached photo! This monster bug would have taken the right side of my face off!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg splat.jpg (78.7 KB, 23 views)

post #16 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Le So Cal Troll

i must ask... is that tint on your visor?

post #17 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
i must ask... is that tint on your visor?
It is a tinted strip (I forget the name). It is perfect for riding when the sun is rising or setting. It also kills a LOT of glare from above!

post #18 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 09:49 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpicki View Post
It is a tinted strip (I forget the name). It is perfect for riding when the sun is rising or setting. It also kills a LOT of glare from above!
I have done the same thing with a couple strips of electrical tape on the inside of the visor....it works wonderfully, costs about .79 cents and I still have most if a roll of electrical tape to use on other stuff.

Back on track, Colorado hasnt had a helmet law in 30+ years. I like to wear mine, but I think it's dumb to require it.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #19 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Tirone

I have worked in rehabilitative medicine for a few years now. Colorado, where I went to school, has hospitals full of old HD riders who were not wearing their helmets. Everybody's insurance pays for those idiots, not to mention Soc security paying for their disability. I now work on the coast where there sane government mandates helmets and motorcycle riders are somewhat rare in the head injury business. I deal mostly with strokes. Helmet laws work because some people are just stupid and I am tired of paying for those bastards and so should everybody else.

post #20 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 11:15 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

You can't legislate "stupid" away. Even though helmet laws might save lives, reduce injuries and fatalities and save taxpayer money, it is a slippery slope. If it's alright to require/restrict one thing it will be ok to do another - and another until we wake up and find our rights have gone down the toilet. The same politicians who propose and vote for helmet laws would just as soon ban motorcycles altogether. Futhermore, if this monstrosity of a healthcare bill isn't kicked out in the SCOTUS or repealed by the next administration, ultimately the taxpayers will be the insurance company and the secretary could easily make the argument that it is unfair for some of us to engage in such a high risk activity and would have the authority to "deem" it or anything else unsafe and detrimental to the greater good. This is how they think - they sit in state assemblies and constantly make new laws to feel useful. I ride 100% ATGATT head to toe but we should not be required to do anything simply because someone in government thinks we're too stupid to take care of ourselves. I say let the Darwin awards fly. [/RANT OFF]
post #21 of 50 Old 04-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Tirone

With all respect to your opinion I think you are dead wrong. No one is going to take motorcycles away just the same as no one is going to take guns or alcohol away. You can't make people follow laws (think dope) but society sets expectations for citizens. Think about speed limits, drinking ages or the fact that all minors have to attend school. If we all have to drive 70mph on the highway and 25mph in town and buy cars with airbags and seatbelts because it's safer, then society can set the standard for helmets. States mostly don't have helmet laws for economic reasons like tourism. One special interest pays to have their legislation passed and then we all have to clean up the mess. If you live in a state without a helmet law your health insurance is higher because of it. It costs working people more money out of every paycheck.

post #22 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 12:29 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
no matter what kinda moto im on... whether it be a pit bike, dirbike, or street... full face helmet at the VERY least.

never understood those who want to ride a bike around with no helmet... i guess that gets the squids off the road and population.
How do you find a helmet that fits? Clearly your you need a XXXXL considering your head is bigger than the gas tank

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #23 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 AM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

I'm all for less laws.

Do I think it's stupid for others to ride without riding boots let alone a helmet... Yup.

Is it MY problem?

Nope.
post #24 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 12:34 AM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Btw most people this will effect were the ones that were wearing fake 1/4 helmets with DOT stickers on them. Not really going to change anything.....
post #25 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 06:54 AM
Extraordinaire

Mich Law

Being from MI what I have found interesting over the past week is that every sport bike rider I've seen so far is still wearing a helmet while everybody that I've seen not wearing a helmet is riding a harley.

I guess there's another reason I'll never own one.

post #26 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzc5b4 View Post
Being from MI what I have found interesting over the past week is that every sport bike rider I've seen so far is still wearing a helmet while everybody that I've seen not wearing a helmet is riding a harley.

I guess there's another reason I'll never own one.
I don't ride a Harley OR a Sport Bike but you COULD own a Harley and STILL wear a helmet!

post #27 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Aquilifer

My problem with all the 'protect you from yourself laws' is like the seatbelt law.
When it started in Ill.
It's just for safety awareness, we won't write tickets for it.
Then
Well if we stop you for something else we'll issue a ticket but we'd never stop you for it.
Then
It's so important now we'll pull you over if you're not wearing one.
Which has now escalated to Eastern block type police road blocks stopping everyone to see if you're wearing one. Last time the officer told he was going to have to write me a citation for no front plate, told him 'from Michigan'. That was over a 1/2 mile back up in the far NW suburbs on a stretch of 2 lane with no cross streets for a couple miles.

Rich

post #28 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 08:34 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21budd View Post
With all respect to your opinion I think you are dead wrong.
No, and also with respect, we are both right. Yes, laws are needed for society to function smoothly and limits on highway speed, control substances and under-age activities are generally good. However, it is WE THE PEOPLE who must keep a watchful eye on the laws our elected officials pass. I am not dead wrong when I state the fact that some legislators believe their role is to micro manage every aspect of our lives. "No one is going to take motorcycles away just the same as no one is going to take guns or alcohol away." Really? Do your homework. You'll find Hillary Clinton jetting around the globe trying to establish UN gun control treaties designed to trump our 2nd amendment. Thank God the "law of the sea" treaty did not pass. Ever hear of prohibition? What a fiasco. At least we got NASCAR out of that one. Now we have dept of agriculture agents searching our kids' lunch boxes and replacing them with union-made chicken nuggets in the name of nutrition. Smoking, trans-fat, salt, sugar and fast food ARE being restricted. And yes, there have been numerous attempts to limit motorcycle HP (like Europe) our ability to modify our machines (aftermarket pipes) and even ban custom built bikes. Tried to buy a 2-stroke dirt bike lately? You can't. They have been totally legislated away by an unproven environmentalist agenda.

All I am saying is we have to be careful which new laws we advocate because each one sets a precedent for another.

The private insurance industry is far better equipped to encourage safer "behaviors" than the government ever will be. Non-smokers get better life insurance rates on policies that stipulate reduced benefit if evidence of smoking is found at time of death. One company gives you a break on auto insurance if you agree to carry their "big brother" device to monitor your driving habits. Medical insurance providers could easily offer discounts to helmet wearers who agree to reduced benefits or cancellation for non-compliance.

We simply have to get out of the habit of looking to the government to fix little problem.
post #29 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Princeps Prior

+1

And if they are not restricting it, they tax the shit out of it. Trying to force you into what they want.

post #30 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 10:38 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

“Motorcycle accidents are a very small percentage of accidents overall,” said Vince Consiglio, president of the motorcycle safety and advocacy group ABATE. “Data from other states demonstrates that states that remove mandatory helmet laws do not see an increase in insurance premiums, and states that institute helmet laws do not see a corresponding decrease in insurance rates.”

This is why I have totally stop supporting the AMA and ABATE. They claim to be about motorcycle safety and yet they both advocate AGAINST Helmet Laws! Yes, I understand people want their freedom of choice and yes, it will help get rid of the stupid when they die in crashes, but if Safety is your concern then advocating FOR helmet laws should be your priority. The AAA seems to be the only one who cares about people lives. Safety and wearing a helmet go hand in hand.

“Under the new Michigan law, bikers who are 21 years old and who carry $20,000 in additional medical insurance may forgo wearing a helmet. They also must hold the state’s motorcycle endorsement for at least two years or have passed a safety course. If bike passengers want to go without a helmet, they must also be 21 and be covered by an additional $20,000 of insurance.”

Really, and who the F*** is going to stop them? Cops aren’t going to pull over every young kid they see on a bike and ask. Even then your insurance card doesn’t say what kind of coverage you have on it. I’m looking at mine right now from progressive and it has nothing like that on there.

I do wear my Helmet, Jacket and Gloves every time I leave my house. For my commute to work I wear jeans and my steal toe work boots. When I go out for the long rides I then put on my over pants and riding boots. But I will never ever go without those three items above and will never ever let anyone ride pillion without them either.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #31 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 12:39 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Here in Michigan the powers that be have decided that our helmet law needed to be repealed. You are not required to wear a helmet anymore as long as you have the right amount of insurance. I want to know how your insurance company is going to find out you're not wearing a helmet.. I will always wear a helmet, but the majority of the guys riding around here stopped wearing them. I don't mind being in the minority though. My brain function is more important than fitting in. Where are you guys at on this one?
This excellent news for those needing donor organs.
It could also help reduce the rate of organ harvesting from executed Chinese prisoners.

post #32 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 02:46 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
“Motorcycle accidents are a very small percentage of accidents overall,” said Vince Consiglio, president of the motorcycle safety and advocacy group ABATE. “Data from other states demonstrates that states that remove mandatory helmet laws do not see an increase in insurance premiums, and states that institute helmet laws do not see a corresponding decrease in insurance rates.”

This is why I have totally stop supporting the AMA and ABATE.
ABATE's idea of motorcycle safety is a hi-viz t-shirt. They expect everyone else to be responsible for their safety yet they will not advocate donning safety gear of any kind.

And if anyone is truly concerned about the problem of uninsured ER care rendered at the taxpayers' expense, they should advocate closing our southern border instead.
post #33 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 03:01 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
if anyone is truly concerned about the problem of uninsured ER care rendered at the taxpayers' expense, they should advocate closing our southern border instead.
+1!!!!!!!!!

post #34 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 03:07 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

I work in the restaurant business and have turned down many jobs to people without papers. Guess how they got here? Most of them go right through the check points.

Problem is, once they're here, if they get pulled over or some how run into problems with the law, they are given tickets and guess what? They never show up to court.

Problem isn't the fence, it's that once they're here they are almost never asked/forced to leave unless it becomes a major media covered event.

Only time that comes up is when someone looking for votes will jump on the bandwagon than once its over they move on.

A few of our employees have been in car accidents with illegals... believe it or not, they don't show up to court.

Easy to point fingers at that fence but that's not really our main problem.

P.S I CANNOT ask if their papers are real, even if I have zero doubt that they are fake, if I do ask I can be sued for it if they happen to be legit workers. If I turn down a job to someone who is clearly illegal, there's no numbers to call, or anyone to contact about it. If I get papers I'm not sure about if they are or are not real, I have to take them. There's no numbers to call to check the SS numbers.

Buy a rifle? Fill out the paper work, call a 800 number and you get a yay or nay on if you can or can't buy the gun. Hire an illegal, there's no way to check to see if the SS number is legit, normally if its fake, we will get a call THREE TO FOUR years later from our payroll company saying such and such number doesnt match...... By then, most likely they have moved on.
post #35 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 05:27 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Okay let s get back on track to Motorcycle Safety and Helmet laws. I dont want to have to move this over to the P&P section.

+2 to Ken

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #36 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie7 View Post
I work in the restaurant business and have turned down many jobs to people without papers. Guess how they got here? Most of them go right through the check points.

Problem is, once they're here, if they get pulled over or some how run into problems with the law, they are given tickets and guess what? They never show up to court.

Problem isn't the fence, it's that once they're here they are almost never asked/forced to leave unless it becomes a major media covered event.

Only time that comes up is when someone looking for votes will jump on the bandwagon than once its over they move on.

A few of our employees have been in car accidents with illegals... believe it or not, they don't show up to court.

Easy to point fingers at that fence but that's not really our main problem.

P.S I CANNOT ask if their papers are real, even if I have zero doubt that they are fake, if I do ask I can be sued for it if they happen to be legit workers. If I turn down a job to someone who is clearly illegal, there's no numbers to call, or anyone to contact about it. If I get papers I'm not sure about if they are or are not real, I have to take them. There's no numbers to call to check the SS numbers.

Buy a rifle? Fill out the paper work, call a 800 number and you get a yay or nay on if you can or can't buy the gun. Hire an illegal, there's no way to check to see if the SS number is legit, normally if its fake, we will get a call THREE TO FOUR years later from our payroll company saying such and such number doesnt match...... By then, most likely they have moved on.
US CIS has a website for you to check that with now, it's called eVerify: USCIS - E-Verify

As for helmet laws, people should have the right to commit suicide in whatever fashion they wish as long as it doesn't affect others. Stupid people not wearing helmets also increases the organ supply and decreases the number of stupid people on the road, eventually.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #37 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 06:05 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
US CIS has a website for you to check that with now, it's called eVerify: USCIS - E-Verify

As for helmet laws, people should have the right to commit suicide in whatever fashion they wish as long as it doesn't affect others. Stupid people not wearing helmets also increases the organ supply and decreases the number of stupid people on the road, eventually.
Gotta love how we are apart of NRA (not the gun one) as with the local restaurant groups, are a big part of the POS world as with using one of the bigger payroll companies around.

Never seen that webpage before.......

Sent you a thanks.

and +1 again with the helmets. This country was founded on ideas that we should have the freedom to do whatever, if we didn't have dumb people laws in place, would we have less problems due the stupid people being killed off already?

In Maryland you do not need a seat belt if you are in the back seat, never once have I not worn it, the idea of not wearing it just baffles me. Same for not wearing anything less than full gear from head to toe. I enjoy having skin and plan on keeping it.
post #38 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
I totally agree with that. If someone wants to ride without any form of protection, it should be their right. The problem arises if taxpayers have to contribute to this guy recovery in case of an accident.

post #39 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 08:12 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

DNR clause to anyone who doesn't wear a helmet?
post #40 of 50 Old 04-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Sixty-9er

"Let those who ride, decide"

Full face all the time by choice

"Grip it and Rip it!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode