Mesh jacket recommendations - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 28 Old 08-04-2006, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Mesh jacket recommendations

Anyone have any? I have a full leather coat but there are days when it is just too hot for it--I'm talking pass out hot when wearing it. So instead of passing out I go with just a shirt--I hate doing it & want to stop. What is a decent mesh jacket?

I am leaning to the First Gear one that retails for around $120. It has a liner but I don't care about that as if it was cold enough for a liner I would rather be in my leather.

Don't get me wrong, I know it may not protect as well as my leather, but it will surely be better than nothing. I intend to keep my leather as my main coat and since it has a removable liner & lots of vents even 90 degrees isnt that bad if I am moving--its the 95+ & humid I can't take anymore.

I am looking for a 100-150 dollar coat for 50-100 on ebay (new).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I bought the new Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 for about $100, not too bad a jacket, the mesh is layered and the padding fits fairly well, I've heard bad things about Joe Rocket but the price was right and it does well in the Texas heat.

-Joe
post #3 of 28 Old 08-04-2006, 09:02 PM

Deal with it man. That mesh is almost as worthless as your T-shirt. I wear my leather everytime I ride and just sweat.

post #4 of 28 Old 08-05-2006, 08:53 AM
put your ad here

ill second the Joe rocket phoenix 4.0. just make sure it is sized correctly or the armor will be worthless if it moves around to easily.

Most problems in life can be fixed... Stupid isn't one of em'.
post #5 of 28 Old 08-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
I use a Fieldsheer mesh jacket, but I'm pretty sure the model is discontinued. It is MUCH nicer than my old Joe Rocket. Armor is thicker, comes with a rain jacket, thicker weave mesh. All around much better quality and I picked it up at motorcyclesuperstore for about $80.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #6 of 28 Old 08-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider
Deal with it man. That mesh is almost as worthless as your T-shirt. I wear my leather everytime I ride and just sweat.
I thought about this comment all morning, and I can honestly say it really pisses me off. A mesh jacket is a hell of a lot better than any t-shirt you can find. The armor in the elbows, shoulders, back (spine!) and sides will protect you, albeit not as well as leather, but it will still protect you. Telling someone that a mesh jacket is as worthless as a t-shirt is downright irresponsible.

-Joe
post #7 of 28 Old 08-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Ride Like You Stole It

I have a fieldsheer that I bought from kneedraggers and I like it. I had a Joe Rocket but the padding was not very well attached to the jacket. I bought the fieldsheer based on review from a cruiser magazine. The armour is pretty good but make sure you buy the right size jacket or the armour may not be effective.

post #8 of 28 Old 08-07-2006, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Centurion

Thanks for the opinions, I think I am going with the Firstgear Mesh-Tex 3.0. It is the basically a 2.0 with CE armor upgrade & another pocket for only a few dollars more.

post #9 of 28 Old 08-07-2006, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47
I thought about this comment all morning, and I can honestly say it really pisses me off. A mesh jacket is a hell of a lot better than any t-shirt you can find. The armor in the elbows, shoulders, back (spine!) and sides will protect you, albeit not as well as leather, but it will still protect you. Telling someone that a mesh jacket is as worthless as a t-shirt is downright irresponsible.
It was clearly an exaggeration hooker. I really don't see why you're so worked up over that. My point was, if you want protection get a real jacket with leather that doesn't tear and armor that doesn't move in a real crash. IMO, mesh jackets are a false sense of security. I wouldn't ride with just a T-shirt or a mesh jacket. But that's my preference. You can treat your body however you like. I'm not going to look down on you or anyone else and I would still ride with you. I just don't think it's the smartest choice of protection.

post #10 of 28 Old 08-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er
Thanks for the opinions, I think I am going with the Firstgear Mesh-Tex 3.0. It is the basically a 2.0 with CE armor upgrade & another pocket for only a few dollars more.
Bryce..., First Gear stuff is pretty decent for the price. I believe that they also produce Gericke.

I would recommend that you look at the best high end leather/mesh combo jacket. But, if price point is of concern. Try these:

One alternative: http://motorcyclecloseouts.com/detai...UCT_ID=50-4143

Second: http://motorcyclecloseouts.com/detai...D=HG2003-01/02

post #11 of 28 Old 08-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Quitting is for Quitters!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

I have a fieldsheer mesh jacket. I love it. I have gone down in it too and slid a liitle ways but it held up GREAT! Just a few little fuzzy spots where i slid and a few small holes in the elbow which i repaired. Has back protection, elbow and shoulder armor. They are resonably priced as well and geee i think (SOMEONE) on here is a distributor for fieldsheer too.

-Mercedes- or you can call me YaYa
post #12 of 28 Old 08-07-2006, 09:01 AM
put your ad here

Quote:
It was clearly an exaggeration hooker. I really don't see why you're so worked up over that. My point was, if you want protection get a real jacket with leather that doesn't tear and armor that doesn't move in a real crash. IMO, mesh jackets are a false sense of security. I wouldn't ride with just a T-shirt or a mesh jacket. But that's my preference. You can treat your body however you like. I'm not going to look down on you or anyone else and I would still ride with you. I just don't think it's the smartest choice of protection.

i agree w/ you 100%, nothing beats leather. however, in texas on a 105 degree day its ride w/ mesh, or take the truck. there have been tons of documented laydowns where mesh jackets adequetly protected the rider. that is why sizing is so important. i would suggest trying the jacket both with and without the liner. when i purchased my last jacket i made sure that the jacket fit correctly (snug snug snug, but not tight tight tight), but the liner that came w/ the jacket did not fit well. it was way to tight because there is not stretch. i ordered the next size up liner. with a well made and properly fitted mesh your armor should stay in place during a laydown.

Most problems in life can be fixed... Stupid isn't one of em'.
post #13 of 28 Old 08-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Two Wheeled Warlord

It's going to depend on where you're using it too. Hauling down a Hwy. at 70+? Not really. Running around town in stop and go? Sure.

post #14 of 28 Old 08-07-2006, 12:42 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Okay Gentlemen, I am workless at the moment since my reports are down at work. So... let me chime in a little.

Albiet, I understand why anyone would wear mesh jacket. The heat and they also feel lighter.

Here are my concerns and I would recommend you don't. First off Hooker, I know RedRider did not mean anything by his comments - maybe just a little animated.

Anyway... with synthetic fibers, one of the greatest concerns is friction and heat. In a slide, the contact between your material and the road causes friction which in turn causes heat. I have seen where a leather jacket built up enough friction to cause the inner lining to melt and burn the rider on the shoulder.

Now, imagine you are in a synthetic jacket and sliding on tarmac, not only would it potentiall burn through the outter shell, but also the stitching and then the lining and then YOU! I realize more new materials are treated and such for this, but you still cannot beat the properties of hide like leather.

Secondly, it takes a conscientious manufacturer to put actuall full CE armour in a material or mesh like jacket, at which point you might as well wear leather. Cordura for instance is a good compromise on mesh / synthetic jackets, but it won' breath or let in as much air as a pure mesh jacket.

My suggestions would be to get a leather jackets with ventilation. Gericke once made a jacket called the Warrior that had EXCELLENT ventilation. I mean, you would actually get a chill at high speed. It was leather, with complete perforation, and strategic zippers which allowed air to flow - much better than just holes.

Secondly, if it must be mesh, then go for a good compromise where the impact points are leather, like shoulders and elbow regions while the rest is mesh. That I think may give you the best of both worlds.

Any protection better than nothing, and you and I are totally on the same page there Hooker... but, for what you will spend, remember, any protection gets one chance to prove it's worth, and that can literally be over your dead body or skin.

My .02 cents.

Mike.

post #15 of 28 Old 08-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Well put WIM. I can't really say anything more than that.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #16 of 28 Old 08-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

Although I cannot argue with the logic, I'll be putting my mesh Fieldsheer jacket and zip together pants up for sale at a "really tough to beat price" - probably tonight if I can get pictures taken.

post #17 of 28 Old 08-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51
Okay Gentlemen, I am workless at the moment since my reports are down at work. So... let me chime in a little.

Albiet, I understand why anyone would wear mesh jacket. The heat and they also feel lighter.

Here are my concerns and I would recommend you don't. First off Hooker, I know RedRider did not mean anything by his comments - maybe just a little animated.

Anyway... with synthetic fibers, one of the greatest concerns is friction and heat. In a slide, the contact between your material and the road causes friction which in turn causes heat. I have seen where a leather jacket built up enough friction to cause the inner lining to melt and burn the rider on the shoulder.

Now, imagine you are in a synthetic jacket and sliding on tarmac, not only would it potentiall burn through the outter shell, but also the stitching and then the lining and then YOU! I realize more new materials are treated and such for this, but you still cannot beat the properties of hide like leather.

Secondly, it takes a conscientious manufacturer to put actuall full CE armour in a material or mesh like jacket, at which point you might as well wear leather. Cordura for instance is a good compromise on mesh / synthetic jackets, but it won' breath or let in as much air as a pure mesh jacket.

My suggestions would be to get a leather jackets with ventilation. Gericke once made a jacket called the Warrior that had EXCELLENT ventilation. I mean, you would actually get a chill at high speed. It was leather, with complete perforation, and strategic zippers which allowed air to flow - much better than just holes.

Secondly, if it must be mesh, then go for a good compromise where the impact points are leather, like shoulders and elbow regions while the rest is mesh. That I think may give you the best of both worlds.

Any protection better than nothing, and you and I are totally on the same page there Hooker... but, for what you will spend, remember, any protection gets one chance to prove it's worth, and that can literally be over your dead body or skin.

My .02 cents.

Mike.
Mike, I agree that leather is the best. I really don't think mesh is better in any way, shape, or form. RedRider, the only reason I had a problem with your comment is because I could imagine some new guy reading it and deciding that since the people on here think mesh sucks, then maybe they should just ride in a t-shirt because they don't have the money for leather, instead of dropping a little money on a mesh jacket. I would hate to see someone ride without any protection because they misconstrued the meaning of someone's statement on this forum. I watch guys every day in San Antonio ride without protection, and it upsets me that they are that stupid. I know I can't tell them what to do, but I wouldn't want to give them the wrong idea by making off-handed comments. Just my two cents. I'll get off my soapbox now...

-Joe
post #18 of 28 Old 08-07-2006, 01:21 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Mike, I agree that leather is the best. I really don't think mesh is better in any way, shape, or form. RedRider, the only reason I had a problem with your comment is because I could imagine some new guy reading it and deciding that since the people on here think mesh sucks, then maybe they should just ride in a t-shirt because they don't have the money for leather, instead of dropping a little money on a mesh jacket. I would hate to see someone ride without any protection because they misconstrued the meaning of someone's statement on this forum. I watch guys every day in San Antonio ride without protection, and it upsets me that they are that stupid. I know I can't tell them what to do, but I wouldn't want to give them the wrong idea by making off-handed comments. Just my two cents. I'll get off my soapbox now...

Yeah... get off that box and go play dadogs's new game. That WILL drive you crazy j/k

post #19 of 28 Old 08-07-2006, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

http://www.newenough.com/firstgear_m...t_pictures.htm

Thats the one I got. I like it because it is a really tight mesh--you can't really even tell unless you are up real close. Some were almost like a cheap football jersey or fishnet with the spacing of the holes. I would not be comfortable with those but the bottom line is I am comfortable with the one I got & thats why I got it.

Please note I am refering to "comfortable" in this post as in peace of mind, not physical comfort.

Also remember I have a leather & won't argue the mesh isn't as good, but I am comfortable (meaning peace of mind) in wearing the mesh I got.

post #20 of 28 Old 08-07-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Well that makes a little more sense but hopefully their not that stupid. I did say almost.

But if you're in the market for a jacket spend a little extra and get a leather jacket. If you're in a hot area like Texas or Florida then get a perforated leather jacket. There really is no substitute in that price range. If you compare the price of the ER visit, gauze, anti-bacterial medicine, not to mention waking up stuck to your bed sheets every morning for the next 3 weeks, $300 is extremely cheap.

post #21 of 28 Old 08-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Well that makes a little more sense but hopefully their not that stupid. I did say almost.
Sorry, I don't mean to bust anyone's chops. I guess this hits a little close to home, as my younger and sometimes extremely stupid brother tore himself up a couple weeks back and, had he been wearing something other than a cut-off T-shirt (thank God he wore his helmet!), he probably wouldn't be trying to not itch his scabs right now.

Quote:
But if you're in the market for a jacket spend a little extra and get a leather jacket. If you're in a hot area like Texas or Florida then get a perforated leather jacket.
Since we are on the subject, what do you look for in a perforated leather jacket? I am a little nieve on the subject, since I just moved down here from up North (Alaska, Montana, Washington). I wear mesh simply cause it's too damn hot down here!!

-Joe

-Joe
post #22 of 28 Old 08-08-2006, 09:23 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Since we are on the subject, what do you look for in a perforated leather jacket? I am a little nieve on the subject, since I just moved down here from up North (Alaska, Montana, Washington). I wear mesh simply cause it's too damn hot down here!!

-Joe

Well... most leather jackets are of 1.2 - 1.4 mm thickness. I would not choose a VANSON unless it was SERIOUSLY perforated as they use rather heavy / thick leather.

Look for one that might have a removable inner liner so you can use in both cool and hot weather. Make sure it has FIXED armour in the shoulders, and of course the elbows and forearm.

I should be perforated in front, and also if possible - along the inside of the arms into the armpit area. Some like the Gericke Urban Warrior also have zippers - in the arms, the chest and the back - which allow increased flow of air through the jacket, which is what you want. Amazingly, this jacket also has venting in the Aero hump which truly brings air into the back area and seriously cools you down.

You definately do not want a jacket that is perforated all over. Perforation does compromise leather a little. I can weaken it - especially if it around the stictches or impact areas where you might slide.

Don't get the typical off the rack bomber wannabe jackets. Motorcycle jackets should be shorter in the front and longer in the back with fastners to tighten it around your waist. This design feature means you can lean forward on a Sport bike while still covering and protecting your lower back. The fastners also mean that the jacket won't ride up should you find your self sliding on your back. By the way, never ride in a jacket without a belt on your pants.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mike

post #23 of 28 Old 08-08-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I don't mean to bust anyone's chops. I guess this hits a little close to home, as my younger and sometimes extremely stupid brother tore himself up a couple weeks back and, had he been wearing something other than a cut-off T-shirt (thank God he wore his helmet!), he probably wouldn't be trying to not itch his scabs right now.
Sorry to hear about your little brother going down. I hope you gave him a good swift kick in the ass or has the scabs driven the point home?

Quote:

-Joe
Well, I look for how many panels are perf'd and where they're perf'd. Make sure the jacket is perf'd in the front and the back. Air needs somewhere to go once it gets inside the jacket.

I have the A* spinner jacket which is not perf'd but has ventilation zippers on top of the shoulders and in the back. I didn't have enough money for 2 jackets (Summer/Winter) so I bought one for the winter with ventilation zippers as a compromise. I don't recommend this design for a summer jacket. With the shoulder zippers open the jacket simply catches too much air if speeds reach greater than 60mph and the jacket puffs up and lifts. Very distracting.

But believe it or not, I didn't notice much difference in the temps between my old mesh jacket and my leather jacket. There's really no escaping the heat accept riding in the A/C. So I'd rather have the best protection possibly.

post #24 of 28 Old 08-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the info guys. I have been looking around a little bit for a new leather jacket, as my current leather jacket has no padding. I feel much more comfortable riding the twisties in the hill country knowing that there is a little padding between me and the ground. I would like to find a leather jacket that will vent well enough for me here in Texas, but with a liner so if I move north again (Colorado, Vermont?) I can still get some use out of it.

As for my brother, I hope the scabs finally drove the point home. He usually wears all his gear, but him and his friends, clowning around...peer pressure sucks when you're young. Hopefully this last incident will make him realize that he wants to be an old motorcyclist, and not a bold one.

-Joe
post #25 of 28 Old 08-08-2006, 11:27 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. I have been looking around a little bit for a new leather jacket, as my current leather jacket has no padding. I feel much more comfortable riding the twisties in the hill country knowing that there is a little padding between me and the ground. I would like to find a leather jacket that will vent well enough for me here in Texas, but with a liner so if I move north again (Colorado, Vermont?) I can still get some use out of it.

As for my brother, I hope the scabs finally drove the point home. He usually wears all his gear, but him and his friends, clowning around...peer pressure sucks when you're young. Hopefully this last incident will make him realize that he wants to be an old motorcyclist, and not a bold one.
Hooker - Honestly, I am not one to plug products unless I truly believe in them. Go on ebay and check out the Gericke Urban Warrior. To me, it is truly one of the most versatile jackets ever made. It has ample venting, and can seal up tighter that a penguin's pucker in the North Pole... AND it has a removable liner that will allow no cold in when you ride on cool days.

They now run less than $200 - well worth it, believe me.

Mike.

post #26 of 28 Old 08-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Go on ebay and check out the Gericke Urban Warrior. .
Just checked it out. Looks like a great jacket. Only one they had was a 44, think I am still a 42, but I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help!

-Joe
post #27 of 28 Old 08-08-2006, 01:12 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Just checked it out. Looks like a great jacket. Only one they had was a 44, think I am still a 42, but I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help!

There are a bunch of other sellers around for that...

post #28 of 28 Old 08-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Hooker - Honestly, I am not one to plug products unless I truly believe in them. Go on ebay and check out the Gericke Urban Warrior. To me, it is truly one of the most versatile jackets ever made. It has ample venting, and can seal up tighter that a penguin's pucker in the North Pole... AND it has a removable liner that will allow no cold in when you ride on cool days.

They now run less than $200 - well worth it, believe me.

Mike.
I purposely didn't post a product for the same reasons as WIM. But, since he brought it up. I bought one two years ago with the pants, paid $600+ for both. Came with the 20 inch zipper, not full circumference. 20" works better for guys with bigger jackets 50+ and pants 34" or under. It is the best fitting "off the rack" gear I've ever bought.

I must say, to this day it is my usual everyday gear. Excellent quality, has removeable liner, hump, good venting and very good CE armor. The arm length is good, but the sleeves are a bit tight throughout.

If you can get it for $200, dude get it!!!!

I'm a fan of First Gear and Gericke products to date. Also have the Killimanjaro jacket and pants, now close to 5 years and looks and performs like new.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode