Make your own riding pants? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
dr1
dr1

Make your own riding pants?

So, since I got a nail hole in my brand new rear tire, I can sit around and think of other things todo for right now.. and I was thinking that I need a good pair of riding pants still.

I just want to wear jeans, but dont want to go spend $150+ on some jeans with some double stiching and extra denim here and there, that wont work incredibly well anyways. (and im sure someone already sells this) So I thought why not buy a nice pair of carharrt jeans (or something else pretty sturdy), and some leather material, and have someone stitch that to the inside in vital spots. Like hips, buttocks, around the knees etc, and call it day.. anyone ever try this? heh

I have no idea how much the leather would cost but I imagine this would cost less then $100 all together, then I would have some fair protection in a slide, and not have to ride around in leather pants (that cost $300) all day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 02:04 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Sounds like a good idea to me; as long as you aren't expecting full leather protection and are comfortable with the compromise.

post #3 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 02:11 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

This is what I wear for the ultimate in protection...

Press Any Key To Continue.

post #4 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
dr1
dr1

Did those come with or without the rest of the space suit?

post #5 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 02:19 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I bet they protect you from the ladies too!

post #6 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 02:35 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post
I bet they protect you from the ladies too!
It totally sucks when you duct tape over the zipper. You know, you just can't tear that stuff.

I really do think you could beef up a pair of jeans for cheap. My Duck Carhartt pants had a little run in with an angle grinder. I was using a cutting wheel on it, slipped and hit my leg. All it did was fray the fabric a little but didn't cut through. Maybe you could just buy two pairs of Carhartt pants and donate patch panels from one pair to the other so you could double up the desired areas.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #7 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 03:43 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
It totally sucks when you duct tape over the zipper. You know, you just can't tear that stuff.

I really do think you could beef up a pair of jeans for cheap. My Duck Carhartt pants had a little run in with an angle grinder. I was using a cutting wheel on it, slipped and hit my leg. All it did was fray the fabric a little but didn't cut through. Maybe you could just buy two pairs of Carhartt pants and donate patch panels from one pair to the other so you could double up the desired areas.
Picking up an old sea bag from the thrift store would provide some good heavy canvas as well. << the old style, not the modern thin ones

post #8 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Lovin the Vanilla Ice

That might work but the point of leather is abrasion resistance. If it's on the inside the jeans will still rip and likely the leather will go wherever the tatters go I would Imagine. Now the duct tape is a classy all around great idea. Think of it like a baby diaper, it won't leak so there is no need for a zipper anyhow.

Two wheelin for the feelin.
post #9 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 04:10 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igneale View Post
That might work but the point of leather is abrasion resistance. If it's on the inside the jeans will still rip and likely the leather will go wherever the tatters go I would Imagine. Now the duct tape is a classy all around great idea. Think of it like a baby diaper, it won't leak so there is no need for a zipper anyhow.
The external pant would rip/tear, but the patch should be oversized and stitched such that unless the pants explode off of you it serves its purpose.

Picture a basic archery target:

The yellow center spot equals the area you want to protect, the concentric rings equal stitches, and the overall diameter is the size of the patch. It's not to scale but that's the basic idea I envisioned when reading the original post.

post #10 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

i wrecked in orlando once. pavement went through the jacket i was wearing in a small spot. it was joe rocket textile forget which one though. maybe half dollar size hole. no hole in the carhartt pants, i was going slow however.

post #11 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Legalize it please?

If you want to get leather cheap, ask your local shoe repair man, I worked for one when i was a kid and he got it dirt cheap from clothing manufacturers. They had "color discrepencies" but the leather was great! He used it for toe caps on work boots... or duct tape. Just make sure to tuck your Duct Pants into your boots so they don't leak...

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
post #12 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike919 View Post
If you want to get leather cheap, ask your local shoe repair man, I worked for one when i was a kid and he got it dirt cheap from clothing manufacturers. They had "color discrepencies" but the leather was great! He used it for toe caps on work boots... or duct tape. Just make sure to tuck your PISS Pants into your boots so they don't leak...
there fixed that

post #13 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

You'd have to get jeans big enough for the leather to fit under. You'd have to get leather thick enough to offer some protection. I think when the two are combined you'd be wearing an oversized set of jeans with stiching showing in weird spots and inflexible areas where the leather is. Oversized jeans will want to move around in a crash/slide, which could easily leave the area intended for protection not so. By the time you buy the jeans, leather, and pay for stiching you'll have a fair amount involved.

Other than that, it's a great idea.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #14 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

You could make pouches to put armor in...make your own moldable kneee/shin armor using wet rawhide.

post #15 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Legalize it please?

The pouches would save a lot of time on stitching. And money too...

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
post #16 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Pouches would be the only way I'd try it. I just wonder, when it's all said and done, how much you invested to create something you can probably buy cheaper and better made. Development for resale would be worth the time. Just not sure about a one off.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #17 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

you could find some of the old sears brand "tuffskins" jeans we had when we were kids....

those things were as stiff as a 2x4 and if they hit the blacktop they would spark...

post #18 of 25 Old 06-18-2009, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
dr1
dr1

basically 2000TJ has it.. I would just cut the backside/hip part as one big peice, then do something for the knees, most of the stiching would be right around the existing stuff. I should be able to find someone to stitch it for me cheap, I hope.

My vision is to get some real leather protection in key areas, from a pair of jeans, for ~$100.. we'll see.

I will say I had this idea the other night, and revisited it yesterday when I saw my friends son fall down on the pavement, slide all of 3 inches, and get up with a hole in his jeans.

post #19 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 05:26 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

If you are going to do it, look at Carhartt's Logger jeans. They have an extra layer of denim with a hole at the bottom around the knee. Might make your modifications simpler.

Carhartt - Product - Men&rsquo;s Double-Front Logger Dungaree

post #20 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 06:01 AM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Save your time and money and just get a pair of "Dragg'n Jeans". They work. It will cost you less that $100 on many different on-line sights.

Or, just wear a set of Bohn protective under armor with jeans for a bit more money and protection.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #21 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 06:02 AM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Try these; Tourmaster pants

Way better than denim, not much money.

Having crashed and slid down the pavement multiple times in my life, I cannot stress proper gear enough. The last crash I had involved a deer and a long slide down grooved concrete. If I had been wearing a jacket and jeans I would still be in the hospital receiving my latest round of skin grafts on my leg.

If you don't want to wear riding pants at your destination, get some overpants and wear your jeans under them. When you get where you are going, take them off.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #22 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 06:11 AM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehren2800 View Post
Try these; Tourmaster pants

Way better than denim, not much money.

Having crashed and slid down the pavement multiple times in my life, I cannot stress proper gear enough. The last crash I had involved a deer and a long slide down grooved concrete. If I had been wearing a jacket and jeans I would still be in the hospital receiving my latest round of skin grafts on my leg.

If you don't want to wear riding pants at your destination, get some overpants and wear your jeans under them. When you get where you are going, take them off.
Good point. Even better than jeans or reinforced jeans/pants. A good pair of overpants. Tourmaster, First Gear, Gerlicke, etc. all have good quality overpants that can be had for under $100 on many decent sites on-line. You can wear short under them, carry a set of sandals in the tank bag and just take them off and your boots ... you're good to go.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #23 of 25 Old 06-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

How about these?

kevlar jeans

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #24 of 25 Old 06-20-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
dr1
dr1

I spotted a pair or two of CorTech Mod pants with leather inserts, from another thread I read on here. They are only about $100 so that shoots my plan to hell, but.. in a good way.

I hadnt noticed them before. I also seen the video of those draggin jeans and they seem like they must be pretty tough too.

post #25 of 25 Old 06-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1 View Post
I will say I had this idea the other night, and revisited it yesterday when I saw my friends son fall down on the pavement, slide all of 3 inches, and get up with a hole in his jeans.
I saw a girl get hit by a suburban. It was very low speed, they did brake but the front bumper did hit the 13 year old girl riding a bike, crossing the street to her house. She was wearing jeans and slid on both her knees about 6 to 8 feet on the blacktop. Her knees were skinned pretty deeply, so much that they looked flat from the sides. I and looked at the "crash site" and you could see the skid marks from her pants. There were two distinct skid lines (one for each knee) about 6 feet long, bluish white denim debris/fibers embedded into the road, followed the last 2 feet with pinkish/gray colored skin. After seeing that, I will never ride with jeans again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode