looking for new waterproof jacket - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 29 Old 05-13-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

looking for new waterproof jacket

hey guys, i'm currently on the hunt for possible sales on a new riding jacket and i need help looking for a good jacket for a great price. i cannot afford the top of the line $800 jackets so yeah...

it must be water proof, that's the key thing! it must also be comfortable, since i'll be commuting even more and further this winter. lastly, high visibility would be a nice feature but something i can live with out if i must. the budget for this will be around $400 i think.

can anyone help me with suggestions? i got pretty overwhelmed while looking around online, and a lot of the reviews didnt really help. so what do you guys have/use?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-13-2012, 02:20 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I've had good luck with Olympia Motosports products, well built and reasonably priced.

post #3 of 29 Old 05-13-2012, 02:23 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
I've had good luck with Olympia Motosports products, well built and reasonably priced.
+1 for Olympia.

Ive also heard good things about the Technik freeway jacket...

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"

post #4 of 29 Old 05-13-2012, 02:35 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Tourmaster, buddy bought one said it works great in the rain, also check motorcyclecloseouts.com, got some smokin deals there sometimes

:buell:
post #5 of 29 Old 05-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Omnivore

I can't speak from firsthand experience, but I was really impressed with what I saw in British Motorcycle Gear jackets at the IMS show this year in Charlotte. I wasn't in the market for a jacket at the time, but when it is time I think that is what I am going to get. They aren't cheap, but I don't think they are unreasonable.

Motorcycle Helmets | Motorcycle Jackets | Motorcycle Clothing

post #6 of 29 Old 05-13-2012, 04:05 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Olympia is generally good quality stuff. I wore one of the early AST jackets and loved it. I found it to be quite comfortable and versatile. After 2 years however, it began to leak profusely around the vent zippers - they all did. I would be interested to see how they remedied this problem in the current iteration.

The First Gear Kilimanjaro has received glowing reviews for years. I'd look at it as well as the Ranier and the Teton.

I have been very impressed by ReV'it! quality with the exception of their proprietary hydratex liner. Mine was a dismal disappointment. Get bona fide Gore-Tex if you can.

Up there in the Pacific northwest you'll be fine with a jacket that has the waterproof membrane attached to the outer shell like the Kilimanjaro. Just look for one that vents through the rain liner rather than direct flow vents which require more seams and breaks in the membrane like the old AST did.
post #7 of 29 Old 05-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Immune

I grabbed a Dainese D-Dry from eBay, brand new with the tags for $160. Like all Dainese gear it's incredible quality, a great fit and the d-dry is totally water-proof. Before I stumbled across this bargain I was keen to get a RST, Paragon Series. They are more of a touring cut with the length and pockets and have a mid-waist belt. If that's fine with you it's a great fit and has a quality feel. Given they have just bought out the 2012 line of Paragon gear, my motorcycle shop had the 2012 gear at almost half price. I could have picked up the jacket and matching pants for $440.

post #8 of 29 Old 05-13-2012, 04:50 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 

I wear a shift avenger, got it new on eBay for $75, figure if my bike gets wet I should be in the same boat, can't expect it to endure anything that I won't

:buell:
post #9 of 29 Old 05-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash97
I wear a shift avenger, got it new on eBay for $75, figure if my bike gets wet I should be in the same boat, can't expect it to endure anything that I won't
They are a nice looking jacket!

post #10 of 29 Old 05-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Tirone

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I wear a Belstaff XL 500 from this sight: BELSTAFF XL 500 JACKET - BLACK - FREE UK delivery - Urban Rider London. So far I've ridden through a full season with it ranging from 22F-98F. When layered right, I would say it could pull 32F quite comfortably, I tested it out in light snow and sleet as well and the when they state 100% waterproof, they really aren't lying. When I bought my 919 from Sbeau, I rode it back during a winter storm from Indiana to South Carolina (800 miles) the jacket held up well the whole trip, although it did get a bit nippy in the 28F temps. In the summer, it's comfortable up to 95F as long as you're moving. If your in stop and go traffic, you'll want to opt for something with more ventilation.

Other than that, I've heard of good jackets coming from Motorcycle Jacket | Scooter Jacket particularly their Discovery jacket.

post #11 of 29 Old 05-13-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
Up there in the Pacific northwest you'll be fine with a jacket that has the waterproof membrane attached to the outer shell like the Kilimanjaro. Just look for one that vents through the rain liner rather than direct flow vents which require more seams and breaks in the membrane like the old AST did.
i agree. i bought a cheaper frank thomas water "proof" jacket that i've been using now for nearly 3 years. getting really fed up with it. and am looking to go much higher in quality (which means higher price) this time. i do not want to get a jacket that is waterproof only via a removable liner. i want the jacket itself to be waterproof. hard to figure out which ones use a liner and which one is waterproof via outside shell.

so far i'm looking at a first gear rainier jacket: Firstgear Rainier Jacket - Street Bike - Closeout - Motorcycle Superstore luckily its my size.

keep the suggestions coming! any more?

post #12 of 29 Old 05-13-2012, 08:22 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

If you can fit in a Large and don't mind the jacket being brown.. FirstGear TPG Rainier Jacket - 2010 (Brown/Sand) :: MotorcycleGear.com

They got it for $232

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #13 of 29 Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

And remember that jacket I wore down on my trip? The waterproofing is good for 2hrs in downpour. For 120 bucks it's a helluva deal. It does however have that zipper issue for the two chest and middle back zipper (it gets stuck shut). I believe not zipping it all the way underneath the flaps will keep it from doing that. If it does get stuck SS will replace it for any of their newer jackets.

At that price, I think I'm gonna get another one. It makes for great touring as well, with the hydration pack and zip-off sleeves. Speed and Strength Hell N Back Jacket - $119.99 closeout special! In stock NOW! :: MSRP: $299.99

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #14 of 29 Old 05-13-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
If you can fit in a Large and don't mind the jacket being brown.. FirstGear TPG Rainier Jacket - 2010 (Brown/Sand) :: MotorcycleGear.com

They got it for $232
that's awesome! i actually think the large will fit better now since i dont have to layer-up anymore gonna have to give this some thought. my wife isn't crazy about the tan color though lol.

there's a red one on ebay thats claimed to be "brand new with tags" is that even possible? how would i know its not just a defective reject?

post #15 of 29 Old 05-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash97 View Post
You ever ride in pouring rain at 35 degrees?

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #16 of 29 Old 05-14-2012, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
no, because by then he's drowning in mud, no joke. he gets MASSIVE rain where he lives and its all either woods or dairy country

post #17 of 29 Old 05-14-2012, 01:19 PM
What?

Quote:
If it even looks like rain or it's under 50 degrees, I take the car.

Which means I have to drive the Charger about 6 days out of the year.

post #18 of 29 Old 05-14-2012, 01:29 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Talking

Quote:
Yes. That's the fun time when ice forms on your bike and helmet but not the road.
post #19 of 29 Old 05-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002-919 View Post
If it even looks like rain or it's under 50 degrees, I take the car.

Which means I have to drive the Charger about 6 days out of the year.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #20 of 29 Old 05-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
hey guys, i'm currently on the hunt for possible sales on a new riding jacket and i need help looking for a good jacket for a great price. i cannot afford the top of the line $800 jackets so yeah...

it must be water proof, that's the key thing! it must also be comfortable, since i'll be commuting even more and further this winter. lastly, high visibility would be a nice feature but something i can live with out if i must. the budget for this will be around $400 i think.

can anyone help me with suggestions? i got pretty overwhelmed while looking around online, and a lot of the reviews didnt really help. so what do you guys have/use?

I like my FirstGear stuff. I've jackets and coats that are over 10-years old that I still like and use that are still waterproof. Tough as nails and had at a decent price. All my stuff is black ... my next purchase will be DAYGLO!

Here's my jacket. It is my favorite jacket for almost 80% of my rides in all conditions on all the bikes. I've worn it for 12+ hours through constant rain and had not a drop enter!

FirstGear Kilimanjaro Jacket

My matching pants ... I swear by them. Great overpant that is easy on and off ... with perfect waterproffing when mated with long jacket.

FirstGear TPG Escape Waterproof Pants

Some other choices ...

Here's a short jacket:

FirstGear Kenya Textile Jacket

Here's a long jacket:

FirstGear Kathmandu Jacket - 2011

Here's pants:

FirstGear Kathmandu Pants - 2011

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #21 of 29 Old 05-15-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

snagged a red rainer jacket off of ebay for $237 shipped brand new. i'll report back once i get it.

post #22 of 29 Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 AM
chevy5seven

I have a Joe Rocket Meteor 6.0 I bought this past January. Comfortable in 32-34 degree weather, been in one rain shower, not a down pour, and it is doing well. Take liner out and been comfy in the 80-90 degree weather we have had so far. In a nutshell, I like it so far. Also I already had Frog Tog stuff. Have worn it in one rain event on motorcycle and it did well. I had these for working out in the weather for a soft drink company and they were good for that.

I said, "I ride A naked, not naked!"
post #23 of 29 Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
snagged a red rainer jacket off of ebay for $237 shipped brand new. i'll report back once i get it.
Good call. Great jacket ... you shouldn't be disappointed. Just remember to keep the cell phone in the inside pocket when you expect heavy rain.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #24 of 29 Old 05-23-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

got the red rainer jacket today. i gotta admit, i'm pretty damn impressed with the build quality. i'll get a chance to test the jacket tomorrow which i'm actually looking forward to for once. my rain gear is literally falling apart and has made riding in the rain just flat out miserable so it'll be nice to be comfortable again for a change.

there's a huge difference in build quality between a sub $300 jacket and a $600 jacket.... HUGE! makes it even more awesome that i picked it up for $247 shipped! i'll never go cheap on rain gear again. even my wife saw the huge quality difference and agreed with me.

post #25 of 29 Old 05-24-2012, 01:30 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Just got one of these in today: Speed and Strength Hell N Back ST Jacket - White - $119.99 closeout special! In stock NOW! :: MSRP: $349.99

Very pleased with the construction. Has a waterproof liner and a vest (this is the sport-touring version), as opposed to just the liner on their regular HellnBack. The back part extends further down on the ST version. Got mine new/blemished on E-bay for $70 in Large, same seller has it in XL with the same 'make an offer' deal.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #26 of 29 Old 05-24-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

decent jacket for an excellent price andrew!!! however, i moved away from a waterproof liner for a reason lol.

post #27 of 29 Old 05-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Tirone

I have a Fieldsheer Aviator that is waterproof that I got on Bikebandit.com. It's good down to about 20 degrees with the liner in. It gets a bit warm above 75 degrees though. Regular cost is about $150.

1981 Honda CM400Custom
2003 Honda 919
post #28 of 29 Old 05-30-2016, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Figured I would report in and give an update on the Jacket I bought.

I freaking love it, even after 4 years of hard use. I've still yet to treat the outside membrane after purchasing it and it still keeps me bone dry. I had the chance to test it in a pouring down monsoon storm last year and I was dry other than the copious amounts of water pouring down off my helmet and my neck. Some water got past the tight neck collar, but everything else stayed dry. I will NEVER go cheap on waterproof jackets.

My first gear overpants have continued to serve me extremely well after 8 years and is finally starting to show signs of exhaustion. I'll likely have to replace them this summer/fall when I can find a good deal. I'll avoid black this time and will likely pick up a white/gray Rev'it Tornado overpants which have gotten high reviews.

post #29 of 29 Old 05-30-2016, 08:52 PM
Batman

Quote:
Figured I would report in and give an update on the Jacket I bought.

I freaking love it, even after 4 years of hard use. I've still yet to treat the outside membrane after purchasing it and it still keeps me bone dry. I had the chance to test it in a pouring down monsoon storm last year and I was dry other than the copious amounts of water pouring down off my helmet and my neck. Some water got past the tight neck collar, but everything else stayed dry. I will NEVER go cheap on waterproof jackets.

My first gear overpants have continued to serve me extremely well after 8 years and is finally starting to show signs of exhaustion. I'll likely have to replace them this summer/fall when I can find a good deal. I'll avoid black this time and will likely pick up a white/gray Rev'it Tornado overpants which have gotten high reviews.
I have the tornado pants and love them...except for the idiotic velcro leg bottoms. They dont sinch tight enough with boots for spray up i found...granted the wp liner has a elastic sinch but the bottoms soak up rain the quickest and nothing is more annoying than your britches flapping your legs...actually, probably tied for jackets/shirts that flap your back biceps.

Do yourself a favor if you do get these, find a way to get 3m dual lock instead of the cheap velcro... and snap the proper tension for some wiggle room from being super snug for when you need to dismount and thank me later. Its what i plan to do...when i get to ride again. Damn knee!

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode