Looking for a new helmet - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 42 Old 12-18-2007, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
Looking for a new helmet

Since my riding season is done till spring I'm looking to upgrade some of my riding gear while everyone is having sales. My last two helmets were HJC and fit better than the others I tried. The stores around here don't carry a huge selection of different brands to try. I've tried Icon (their XXL was to small to get on my head) and KBC (didn't fit well) and M2R (again didn't fit). I wear a XXL in a HJC and noticed that it is tight against my forehead and the middle of the back of my head and that my chin touches the chin bar.. I also noticed that most of the noise that i get comes from the bottom of the helmet which also leads me to believe in a bad fit. From what I've been reading head shape has a lot to do with fit and that different brands fit different than others, something I didn't know much about before. The best way to describe my head shape is a long oval front to back with the front being a little wider than the back and the top of my head being a little wider than the cheek area. I been looking at the Arai profile but I am wondering what other helmets might be work a look.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 12-18-2007, 08:07 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I dont have experience with any but Shoei and HJC. Had HJC, after I got my SHoei RF1000 I liked it so much I got another for the wife. But my Head isnt as big as yours

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #3 of 42 Old 12-18-2007, 08:43 PM
You Better Call Tirone

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

See if this helps.... I recall seeing something about different head shapes on on webbikeworld too. I have a Charlie Brown head and I like the way Shoei fits...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...mets.htm#chart

post #4 of 42 Old 12-18-2007, 08:56 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

The new Scorpion has an air bladder with thumb pump for adjustment.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #5 of 42 Old 12-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

I really liked my Shoei RF1000 when i went from an HJC but my head isnt that large sized either only XL. My suggestion is to try sizing one of the Shoei's as well and then call our supporting Vendor motolube.net and see what kind of specials they have. Some times he has Arai as well, never tried them though, but i know lots love them. Big key here is everyone's pumpkin is different no matter how many suggestions you get the important things that I have found out is that the lighter the helmet the longer you can ride without neck pain and some do cool better than others, I also have the Scorpion XL EXO-400 a little heavy but it was on sale and fit is good but it just lets a lot of air into the eyes even with sheild completely closed, so not my favorite.

post #6 of 42 Old 12-19-2007, 03:36 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

+2 on the Shoei RF-1000. Amazing helmet and great mix of comfort, safety, low noise, and value.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #7 of 42 Old 12-19-2007, 05:43 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Measure your head around above the ears, then, we will see if I have something to offer you from my stock or possible special order.

Check out the Motolube forum and tell me if you see something you like between the Arai RX-7 Corsair Black or Tommy Gun Replica and I'll shoot you a price (shipping included). If your budget is less than 400 to 500 dollars, forget about the Arai and we'll look for something else .

A helmet should be fit snug if new as it will give out a little bit after the first few hours of usage. Most people by the wrong size from the get go and then they blame the helmet.

post #8 of 42 Old 12-19-2007, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
Measure your head around above the ears, then, we will see if I have something to offer you from my stock or possible special order.
The measurement I got was right around 63cm/25 inches.

post #9 of 42 Old 12-19-2007, 02:32 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedave View Post
The measurement I got was right around 63cm/25 inches.
Well, according to my Arai chart, you are indeed a 2XL so yeah... you have a big brain

At the moment, I have:

Arai RX-7 Corsair Black 2XL ----- $ 425.00 shipped (Within the Continental US) (Cheapest I have seen on ebay is $430.00)

KBC Force RR Speed Demon Gunmetal ----- $ 125.00 Shipped (Within the Continental US) (Cheapest I have seen on ebay is $135.00)

If you see any other brand and model that you like, let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.

post #10 of 42 Old 12-20-2007, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
I've been reading a lot of helmet reviews on webbikeworld.com and have found that they recommend my current helmet (HJC CL-SP) for someone with a round head shape which could explain the pressure on the front and back of the head. From there reviews I'm kind of leaning towards the Arai RX-7 Corsair, the Shoei X-11 and the HJC CL-12 (maybe the carbon). Does anyone have experience with these helmets?

RC90 - Do you have any deals on the Shoei or the HJC that I mentioned.

post #11 of 42 Old 12-20-2007, 12:10 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I've been reading a lot of helmet reviews on webbikeworld.com and have found that they recommend my current helmet (HJC CL-SP) for someone with a round head shape which could explain the pressure on the front and back of the head. From there reviews I'm kind of leaning towards the Arai RX-7 Corsair, the Shoei X-11 and the HJC CL-12 (maybe the carbon). Does anyone have experience with these helmets?

RC90 - Do you have any deals on the Shoei or the HJC that I mentioned.
Honestly? Not as much as the one on the Arai simply because I was able to purchase a LOT at a better price than I normally would. The price I have quoted you is a few dollars up from Regular Dealer Price. On the Shoei or HJC, unless those models are on closeout (which I doubt), I would be able to get close to any of the online prices and that would be pushing it as they have deeper pockets that we do and sometimes get better prices but, throw me your best price and I'll see what I can do.

post #12 of 42 Old 12-21-2007, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Honestly? Not as much as the one on the Arai simply because I was able to purchase a LOT at a better price than I normally would. The price I have quoted you is a few dollars up from Regular Dealer Price. On the Shoei or HJC, unless those models are on closeout (which I doubt), I would be able to get close to any of the online prices and that would be pushing it as they have deeper pockets that we do and sometimes get better prices but, throw me your best price and I'll see what I can do.
I was just curious because the local Honda dealer deals with both of those brands so getting parts would be easy.

Just curious, is black the only style you have in my size for the Arai?

post #13 of 42 Old 12-21-2007, 05:14 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I was just curious because the local Honda dealer deals with both of those brands so getting parts would be easy.

Just curious, is black the only style you have in my size for the Arai?
Your honda dealer may only carry those two brands but if you have a hook up with the parts guy, he can get you whatever you want for Arai, KBC or any other helmet. all he has to do is look it up on one of the many Distributors they buy from and wouldn't take more than a couple or few days.

I also have the RX-7 Corsair Tommy Gun Replica (Orange, Black or Blue) but if I remember correctly (I am home right now), when I checked, that one was the only one on that 2XL size... not many people seem to be as smart as you unfortunately!

post #14 of 42 Old 12-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
+2 on the Shoei RF-1000. Amazing helmet and great mix of comfort, safety, low noise, and value.
+3
What he said.
I've been a Shoei fan for fifteen years.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #15 of 42 Old 12-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Exhausted

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I will throw in Suomy in the mix. Plenty of Spec 1r and Vandal in that price range. I have two of them very light weight and comfortable. They do take a little time to break in tend fit oval heads better. Only down fall very noisy, but I hear pretty much all the high end helmets are like this. Because of all the venting. I have had Shoei in the past and was very pleased with them.

post #16 of 42 Old 01-30-2008, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
So I had a chance to try on a 2XL Shoei RF-1000 today. A nice helmet but I found it to be to loose on the top of my head. There was a little movement front to back but there was more from side to side. The bottom seamed to fit fine. So I guess it rules that one out.

post #17 of 42 Old 01-31-2008, 04:05 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

^ Sounds like it was one size too big, Dave. Don't forget that all helmets have a break-in period where the interior pads contort to your head and facial structure. A properly fitting helmet will feel a bit tight initially but will mold to your head shape nicely after some time in the saddle.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #18 of 42 Old 01-31-2008, 04:25 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

You can get thinner pads for the bottom too.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #19 of 42 Old 01-31-2008, 05:37 AM
Das Kalmar

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I just bought a RF-1000 yesterday. I was in between a M and an L. My chin sort of stuck out the bottom of the M and it was headache tight. The L has a little movement, but it pulls my skin while moving which I think makes it a good fit. If you don't feel it pull it's probably to big.

BOOM CHICKA
post #20 of 42 Old 04-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Prepare 4 surprise attack

I know I'm digging up and old tread but finally what did you get firedave ? and do you like the fit ? cause i have the same headshape as you described and i want to change my helmet because it gets uncomfortable on long rides

Cheers

Simon
post #21 of 42 Old 04-22-2008, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Mojo View Post
I know I'm digging up and old tread but finally what did you get firedave ? and do you like the fit ? cause i have the same headshape as you described and i want to change my helmet because it gets uncomfortable on long rides

Cheers
I just got home from holidays and FINALLY got to try on a few more brands they don't carry in my area. I found that the cheaper helmets just didn't fit right at all. I tried Scorpion but they were not oval enough for my head (not long enough front to back). I could only find one Shark helmet in an XL but it wasn't in the style that has the long oval shape which sucks because the liner in it was by far the softest material I found in a helmet so far. The Arai RX-7 in a 2XL and the Shoei RF-1000 in a XL fit O.K. but were still a little to short front to back. The XL Shoei X-11 fit better but the one that was the best fit for me was the Arai Profile in a 2 XL. I will have to get smalller cheek pads because the ones in the helmet squished my cheeks pretty bad but without them in it fit perfect on the top of my head.

So if you have a head shape like mine I would recommend you check out the Arai Profile and the Shoei X-11 and if you run into some Shark helmets in your journey let me know how they fit compared to these because I would love to know.

post #22 of 42 Old 04-23-2008, 05:27 AM

A big thanks for the info, I sure will keep you informed if I try some Shark helmets. Will start shopping a bit once i get my tax return

Simon
post #23 of 42 Old 04-25-2008, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
Got a local dealer to bring in a Shark for me to try on. It should be here early next week. I'll let everyone know how it fits.

post #24 of 42 Old 04-25-2008, 09:43 AM

If you have oddly shaped head you should look at arai - they have two styles - round and oval (don't remember what the models are)
Otherwise +3 on Shoei RF-1000

post #25 of 42 Old 04-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 

i have an hjc (sorry couldn't tell u the model number and i don't feel like going to the garage to look) and i love it. it fits great not too heavy it, and best of all it covers up my ugly mug

post #26 of 42 Old 04-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Tirone

i too have a huge head, and ended up with a XXXL scorpion... very comfortable and snug in all the right spots... they're not too pricey either

post #27 of 42 Old 04-28-2008, 10:14 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

SALE STUFF

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...vid=1616553730

I buy stuff from these guys, lotsa stuff.

My email flyer shows KBC street helmets for sale too.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #28 of 42 Old 04-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Tirone

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I have an HJC CL-15 in xxl and have been pleased with it for the past two years. I just bought a Scorpion EXO-700 last month the xxl fit is comparable to the HJC but much better ventilation. Since both of my bikes are nakeds I know the noise level will always be higher than if I was sitting behind a full windshield, but it is bearable and more so if I use ear plugs.

post #29 of 42 Old 05-02-2008, 08:40 AM

Thx to all of ya for the info, very appreciated. Went down to my dealer and tried quite a few helmets on but finally only the arai profile fit properly so I got myself a XXL Profile Sinister Red. I will get on Monday

Simon
post #30 of 42 Old 05-02-2008, 08:52 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
A helmet should be fit snug if new as it will give out a little bit after the first few hours of usage. Most people by the wrong size from the get go and then they blame the helmet.
+1 -

Ive got a profile and have really liked it . Keep in mind, if something botheres you , or it doesnt fit exactly the way you want it to , Arai has a ton of other pads for people to use. I thought I was nad XL wearer, untill I was measured and had some pads changed, My TommyGun and XD are probally two of the sweetest fitting helmets Ive ever put on, simply beacause i was properly fitted and adjustments were made for my head - Welcome to Arai land !

post #31 of 42 Old 05-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Keep the rubber side down

I am with the SHOEI crowd. I have an FR-1000 that I bought about 2 months ago to replace my HJC. A welcomed upgrade, you won't be disappointed.

-Adam

*Edit*

I bought my wife an ICON hooligan helmet at the same time. I must say, it is a small, mine is a large, and mine is still lighter. Well designed aerodynamically as well. (the SHOEI)

post #32 of 42 Old 05-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Go to a motorcycle store and try em all on. Order it from the internet, or from a member on here.

2 > 4
post #33 of 42 Old 05-07-2008, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
So I got to try on the Shark helmet the dealer brought in the other day. It was a Shark RSI in a XL. I really loved the look of the helmet and the liner was so nice. The helmet fit very well but was a little loose on the sides of my head. If it wasn't for this I would have bought the helmet because I really like it. I would say it fits like a Shoei X-11. So it looks like I have a Arai head shape.

post #34 of 42 Old 05-07-2008, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Mojo View Post
Thx to all of ya for the info, very appreciated. Went down to my dealer and tried quite a few helmets on but finally only the arai profile fit properly so I got myself a XXL Profile Sinister Red. I will get on Monday
That was the one I tried on and love the look of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaStreetfigh View Post
Go to a motorcycle store and try em all on. Order it from the internet, or from a member on here.
+1, thats what I plan to do.

post #35 of 42 Old 05-10-2008, 11:10 PM

I would recommend ordering it from the store to keep them in business so you can continue to go there when you need to try on new helmets.

ps. they will usually match internet prices.

post #36 of 42 Old 05-31-2008, 10:17 PM

I'm about to get a nolan n102 after wearing my n100 to death. I have a big coconut too and am very happy with the fit although I'm not sure about the shape of my head.. it seems ovular...? Anyways, I've heard people say the nolans are too big and heavy but I never noticed any problems.. even on long rides. People also expressed a lot of concern when flip-up face shields first hit the scene but I did a faceplant into the side of an SUV in my old nolan and it held up fine.. still worked and everything
I am a bit biased because I'm very partial to flip-up face shields and quick release chin straps.. the n102 also includes a built in sunshade, antifog film and optional communication/audio system... all this for under $300

post #37 of 42 Old 05-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

after doing some shopping I ordered an Arai Profile today. I've been to a few different shops and most of them had the lower to mid range priced lids, not that it bothered me but none of them fit just right. When I put the Arai on today it felt perfect and I knew it was the one for me. Can't wait to get it because I realized how crappy my worn out HJC really is today.

post #38 of 42 Old 09-03-2008, 08:45 AM
USMC

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

SO ALL, WHAT IS WRONG WITH ICON? NO ONE HAS POSTED ANYTHING ABOUT THEM. NOT EVEN BAD THINGS. I GOT A DOMAIN 2 AND LOVE IT. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE DID I BUY THE WRONG LID OR WHAT???

2007 CB919 37 mi Aug 20 2008
post #39 of 42 Old 09-03-2008, 09:02 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

my father used to have a XXL HJC and he bought a scorpion XXL EXO-700 and found that after 20 minutes of riding he had a headache from pressure on his forehead. I ordered him an ARAI Profile size XXL and recieved an XL he put it on and said it is quiet snug, but Profiles shape compensated and that he is actually more comfortable than he has ever been in a size smaller helmet than he has ever worn.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #40 of 42 Old 09-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Work Hard, Ride Home.

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
The new Scorpion has an air bladder with thumb pump for adjustment.
Oh damn! It's like my Reebok Pumps from 1991!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode