LG Tone BT headphones/set - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 07-30-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

LG Tone BT headphones/set

Just wanted to chime in on this bluetooth headset I've been using under my helmet. After being sick of having to deal with wires to my Android for tunes and wind blocking, I bought the LG Tone headset. Now I can have my phone in my tank bag (and in the future a handlebar mount) for GPS and still hear turn by turn directions. When not using as a GPS, I can have tunes and noise isolation. They don't have foam tips for a complete isolation but they offer enough protection to just have them on without music. I also tried Plantronics variety, but they're way to bulky to fit inside the helmet. With the LG, there is not pressure on your ear while wearing. The packaging says the unit is water-resistant and I believe it. I use it in the gym as well and sweat on them pretty good, no issues yet (had them for a month now).

There are BT helmets and in-helmet speakers systems but they don't really do much for noise protection. I don't condone riding and using your cell phone but for the sake of the review, these have the microphone in the left earbud. This allows you to take and make calls up to 60mph without the wind overpowering your voice. 80MPH seems to be the where you're no longer understood. I use it for taking calls while pulled over without having to remove the lid. A nice luxury IMO.

Sound quality is something from a $40-$50 earbud. Nothing spectacular like my Shure or Klipsch and probably not comparable to $150+ sets but definitely an upgrade from any cheapo ones.

It's on sale at Amazon as well: Amazon.com: LG Tone - HBS-700 Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Retail Packaging - Black/Orange: Cell Phones & Accessories

I paid $69 at BB and did the $12 protection plan. I'm pretty rough on earbuds and already took advantage of the plan on my last set of Klipsch. Well worth it at the Amazon sale price

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-30-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

The only nuisance I have with it is the bluetooth button being pushed if you tap it with your chin/helmet. This turns on my voice command to which I have to say 'cancel' and it goes back to the music. Doesn't always understand the command at speeds though and still trying to figure out how to shut the feature off on my phone. (HTC 3D with the Ice Cream sandwich, non-rooted)

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #3 of 12 Old 07-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Batman

I've ran the tone off and on for about...two years now?. If you don't want it to operate voice, only connect as media and not phone control in the pairing setup.

I found it to howl a low frequency due to the Mic pickup and ventilation hole on the bottom of the bud.

I now use a wired set, but active noise cancelling rocketfish brand with some comply foam tips for some passive noise isolation as well. Works awesome up to up 65-70mph. It saves on my phone battery as I don't run wired charging while I ride, but you might.

I'm still awaiting passive cancellation in the form of built in speakers that "cup" the entire outer ear via a inflation form like scorpion inflatable chin cushions.

Doubt it will ever happen but one can dream.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.

post #4 of 12 Old 07-31-2012, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by velodesign
I've ran the tone off and on for about...two years now?. If you don't want it to operate voice, only connect as media and not phone control in the pairing setup.
Just tried it but that also turns off allowing me to answer and call from the set.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #5 of 12 Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 AM
Batman

Oh, hmmm. I dont place calls when I ride and I just swipe down on the screen to answer if a call comes in.

You could look at an autoanswer app?

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Tirone

I'm in the market for something like this so I'm going to bump this thread.

Question: what kind of helmet do you use where these work? I wear a full face helmet and I don't understand how the microphone piece would work since it's around the neck and not up by the mouth.

post #7 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

The mic is built into the left earbud. Tested up to 60mph to be understandable while speaking loudly in a Shark RSI helmet. I never use it while riding besides for music but it's there if you need to call or be directed to an unfamiliar destination with your phones GPS.

You can buy it cheaper on Amazon but I bought mine from BBuy and got the warranty. I'm terrible with headsets

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #8 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Tirone

Hmm... on the Amazon link on the first post, it shows the microphone as being on the left side of the plastic band that's shown as worn around the neck. Do you wear the control part around your neck or over your head like a headset?

post #9 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Controls around the neck... I do see a port where the headset sits in. Maybe that is the Mic, impressive noise blocking if it is.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #10 of 12 Old 09-02-2015, 07:47 AM
Tirone

Am i the only one who seems to have a problem with them staying around my neck when at speeds of 80-100?

post #11 of 12 Old 09-02-2015, 04:57 PM
The Cripple

Grave dig!

post #12 of 12 Old 10-20-2015, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enozder View Post
Am i the only one who seems to have a problem with them staying around my neck when at speeds of 80-100?
If you have race/low collar yes, any jacket with neck protection will keep it from hanging down your back. Wow grave dig lol

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode