Let's talk "Lids" - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Rangers Lead The Way!

Let's talk "Lids"

So after my little spill, I'm in the process of replacing all my damaged parts.

Well this also includes my lid. I've been riding with an HJC CL-15, color matched to the candy glory red.

Motorcycle Superstore has Icons on sale. Haven't ever used one and I'd like some opinions on them.

Otherwise, lets open the floor to what lids you are using and why? How do they fit, as compared to the HJC? How quiet are they (I'm running an Autocom)?

I'm really only interested in Snell approved lids.

Take it away guy and gals. Thanks.

Ranger919er

Terrorism is a disease. Rangers are the cure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 06:20 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

If you're riding with an HJC, I wouldn't be to concern on quality, fit or comfort from any of the other brand name helmets. Listen to the replies but take the answer with a grain of salt, you know... different strokes for different folks!

Now, being said that, I do suggest you go to try the size, model and brand of helmet you're looking to purchase as "We're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy" and sizes and shapes are no longer the same!.

post #3 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 06:22 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Read this article before you buy a helmet :

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...helmet-faq.htm

post #4 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 06:23 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

Competition Accessories has that Shoei Badge for $299.

My personal favorite.

http://www.compacc.com/prod.cfm/cid/9003000/pid/16426

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #5 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 06:28 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Too bad you can't get the new Scorpion EXO-1000 yet. TO be quite honest, I have owned HJC, Arai, Scorpion, KBC, and Shoei.

Out of all of them, I prefer Arai, and Scorpion. As RC90 said, take it with a grain of salt. Go to as many bike shops as you can, and try on as many helmets as you can get your hands on. There is nothing that can compare to a well fitting helmet. This is made more obvious by long rides, and trackdays.

post #6 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 06:30 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

I'll just throw in one more comment here...

Unlike the rest of your body, the brain doesn't heal it's self. So the helmet is where you should spend the most money where gear is concerned. Going cheap on the helmet (IMHO) is a very bad idea. Some will tell you that the cheaper helmets are just as good, but why take the risk if you don't have to?

post #7 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Rangers Lead The Way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
If you're riding with an HJC, I wouldn't be to concern on quality, fit or comfort from any of the other brand name helmets. Listen to the replies but take the answer with a grain of salt, you know... different strokes for different folks!
Believe it or not, the HJC CL-15 was a conscious decision based on a study published a few years ago. It is Snell 2005 approved and did comparable to Shoies and others in the test.

However, it has proven to not be very quiet. Even though it fit my noggin fairly well.

And I do realize its time for an upgrade.

Ranger919er

post #8 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Rangers Lead The Way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Too bad you can't get the new Scorpion EXO-1000 yet. TO be quite honest, I have owned HJC, Arai, Scorpion, KBC, and Shoei.
In the same study that led me to the HJC CL-15, the Scorpions failed miserably. I still have one in the closet that the dealer gave me with the bike purchase. After reading up on them I kind of figured out why he was giving them away.

I'v used Shoies in the past and felt they were over priced for the fit and finish on my noggin. I've never used Aria though, and I've never read any negatives on them.

Hmmmm...

Ranger919er

post #9 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 06:49 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

I use an Arai Quantum II Hacking. Nice fit and finish, not too noisey.

.. but as that article mentions, it's all about what fits your head shape.

post #10 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Different lids fit different noggens. You'll have to try them all on personally to tell which is right for you.

Most helmets seem to offer similar protection from cheap to really expensive. The up side of the more expensive ones are that they are lighter, better vented, more comfortable, and sometimes built a little safer but I wouldn't know that aspect personally.

I had a HJC AC-11 ($240) and it seemed alright until I went to a Shoei X-series($550) helmet. Felt like the weight was half. After an hour or two on the bike, you'll notice the weight difference quite a bit. Also the lining was much softer, like a pillow on my head. Head stays cooler too. I also have an AGV helmet now. Don't remember the model number off hand but it was around $400 and isn't as comfy or light as my Shoei. So, goes to show that price doesn't always get you the best. Time for you to go shopping...

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #11 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger919er View Post
In the same study that led me to the HJC CL-15, the Scorpions failed miserably. I still have one in the closet that the dealer gave me with the bike purchase. After reading up on them I kind of figured out why he was giving them away.

I'v used Shoies in the past and felt they were over priced for the fit and finish on my noggin. I've never used Aria though, and I've never read any negatives on them.

Hmmmm...
Interesting, Scorpion is listed on SNELL's site as passed, and Web Bike World gave it exceptional marks in their review.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...lmet/scorpion/

SNELL CERTIFIED M2000 MOTORCYCLE HELMETS
FOR PUBLIC DISTRIBUTION
ACTIVE LIST - 9/6/2005
http://www.smf.org/certlist/std_M2000_M2005.html#S

post #12 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 07:18 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Rule out the Icon Mainframe design. I find it noisy.

post #13 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 07:25 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Not such a good report for the Icon mainframe:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...con-mainframe/

post #14 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post

Unlike the rest of your body, the brain doesn't heal it's self. So the helmet is where you should spend the most money where gear is concerned. Going cheap on the helmet (IMHO) is a very bad idea. Some will tell you that the cheaper helmets are just as good, but why take the risk if you don't have to?

I will 2nd this opinion - the one place I didn't want $100-$200 extra making a decision for me was on my head. Someone quoted the Shoei Badge (RF-1000) for $299 and that's a great price. I bought a different Shoei RF-1000 model and really like it.

post #15 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Quote:

I 3rd this opinion. Had my sights set on the Arai Quantum 2 Retro however it is a discontinued model and seems as thought everyone is sold out.

BTW: Arai stamps the Mfg. date on the chin strap, not sure if others do the same. 5 to 7 years, your helmet should be retired.

post #16 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Scorpion & KBC put their Mfg. date on the shell liner. You have to move some of the lining, but it's there. Most track organizations will not allow you to pass tech inspection without a date on the helmet.

Helmets must be certified, and be less than five years old. SNELL is great about this because they re-certify on a five year schedule. M2005 is the latest rating by them.

post #17 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I feel safe in this one.

I feel even safer in this.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #18 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Me, thas who.

Awards Showcase
BOTM 

I run a Shoei RF-1000. I love it, but can't comment on it's noise protection since I don't have anything to compare it to and when I go on long rides I use earplugs.

post #19 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 09:41 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Believe it or not, the HJC CL-15 was a conscious decision based on a study published a few years ago. It is Snell 2005 approved and did comparable to Shoies and others in the test.

However, it has proven to not be very quiet. Even though it fit my noggin fairly well.

And I do realize its time for an upgrade.
I was all ready to go on a rant but I see there is no need as Ragdoll & Async have said, in short sentences, pretty much, what was going to take me like 3 times as much sentences to say.

Bell Helmets used to have a slogan that went something like this... "If you have a $10.00 head... buy a $10.00 helmet"

Sure, the snell test is a Joke because of how they actually do the test and they have not revamped or updated the way to do it since the inception of the test, but I digress... re read what Ragdoll & Async said and you'll be ok.

Noise just means that your helmet is cooler and for those who ride in hot weather climates, that could be a very good thing. You can always close the vents if you don't want to get noise or is cold outside

post #20 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 10:45 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The only problem I've noticed with my mainframes is my older helmets visor is nod-and-drop loose. I think I can tighten it. I've had no other problems. It may not be the best on the market, I'm betting it's not the worst.

post #21 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Rangers Lead The Way!

Quote:
Read this article before you buy a helmet :

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...helmet-faq.htm
So I read this from start to finish, and some of the linked articles too, and I didn't come away with anything much more than I started with. They wrote in the article that price is not everything. And I've always felt this way. The last Shoie I had was about $400 but that was over 10 years ago. And it just din't fit well. I'm not sure if it would have protected me any better than the HJC that I switched it out for. And I've had 2 HJCs since then that did fit well. Both were Snell approved, which at the time I felt was a good thing.

I'm not that familiar with the European ratings, but in reading this, I'm leaning more towards that than Snell. It seems to be a better rating system.

I will likely spend more money this time, because as I've gotten older other things are more important. I need a quiet helmet, and lighter weight. I"m not 20 anymore! So this will obvioulsy lead me to a more expensive helmet, but not just because its more expensive and should protect me better.

This was an enlightening read, and I'm ashamed to say that when I last upgraded my ride (to the 2006 919) that I didn't do a tremendous amount of research. I did search on Snell ratings and found a decent article that steered me away from the Scorpion EX-700 that the dealer gave me with the bike. I went with what I knew and got the mid-tier HJC that was Snell certified.

In the article they did a good job of describing shape. I fit in the long oval category (you ought to be with me when I try and find cowboy hats that fit) and it looks like Arei brand might be the best choice.

So its off the shop this weekend for some more fittings. I'll post on what I settle on.

Thanks all.

Ranger919er

post #22 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I've heard good about Vemar helmets. Search this site. Someone has a link to awesome deals on them. $400 helmets selling for $140 or so.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #23 of 52 Old 04-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Here's more info you should check out before buying.
Helmet Test
Fit is very important here. An ill fitting lid can cause you injury even if it's rated high in protection. Here's how i buy one.
1) go the local stealer and try some on to find one that i like.
2) then go online find the best deal
3) see if the stealer will match price.

However the one i'm using now is a Vemar. None of the local stealers carried them, so i guessed at the size i needed and got lucky. I figured if i didn't like the fit i would ebay it. The helmet only cost me 150 shipped and i love the fit and weight. it's not Snell certified though which i don't think i'll ever buy another Snell one after reading the article above. Vents are ok compared to the Arai RX7 Corsair's which are probably the best on the market.

post #24 of 52 Old 04-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Discen

I buy Shoei only. I paid $285 shipped for an RF1000 solid from Ebay 2 years ago.

Recently it seems like Suomy's have been going on sale for good prices.

post #25 of 52 Old 04-28-2007, 03:43 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

The lid thing is about fit for me. I make a broad assumption that there isn't much of a difference in protection once you are over the $300 mark on helmets. Snell, DOT, reviews, a person can go mad trying to make sense of the validity of helmet regression tests these days.

So I have a more round head and Arai's don't fit worth a dam on my noggin. But Shoei's fit like a glove. I had an HJC once that caused such an extreme pressure point, I had to get off the bike every 40 minutes and let it calm down. I'm sticking to Shoei's FWIW.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #26 of 52 Old 04-28-2007, 04:11 AM
Tesserarius

i now hook up with Caberg helmet..

post #27 of 52 Old 04-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:

This was an enlightening read, and I'm ashamed to say that when I last upgraded my ride (to the 2006 919) that I didn't do a tremendous amount of research. I did search on Snell ratings and found a decent article that steered me away from the Scorpion EX-700 that the dealer gave me with the bike. I went with what I knew and got the mid-tier HJC that was Snell certified.

Thanks all.
So what exactly didn't you like about the Scorpion? I have the 700 and it is far and away a better helmet than the HJC. It is quieter, has a better vent system and is just better in fit and feel for me. I am surprised that you didn't at least try a free helmet.

As for the Snell ratings everyone should read the motorcyclist article on helmets and rating systems. After that article my next helmet will be the best quality DOT only helmet that I can find.

post #28 of 52 Old 04-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I had Shoei TZ and KBC VR1, but I like my Arai Corsair the best.

Excellent fit, venting and comfort. It also got removable lines and different cheek pad sizing to custom fit. When you're paying a lot of money, that's what it boils down to.

post #29 of 52 Old 04-29-2007, 09:00 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier919 View Post
So what exactly didn't you like about the Scorpion? I have the 700 and it is far and away a better helmet than the HJC. It is quieter, has a better vent system and is just better in fit and feel for me. I am surprised that you didn't at least try a free helmet.

As for the Snell ratings everyone should read the motorcyclist article on helmets and rating systems. After that article my next helmet will be the best quality DOT only helmet that I can find.
It appears that you don't read or listen to the replies other people have given as to the why cheap helmets are not best fitted for you noggin but, if you love the helmet... more power to you.

DOT & Snell test are a pure joke, a way to take some money from you and the people making helmets. Being said that, your cheap helmet may or may not save you from an accident as well as the high-end ones, the main difference is on Comfort & Weight.

Comfort = Liner made out of a very good and soft material as opposed of sand paper like many of the cheap helmets come with (exageration sure but you get my drift). If you have never worn a high-end helmet for more than the time it took to fit it, you can't tell otherwise nor you'll be able to say one is better than the other.

Weight = If 5 layers of fiberglass is all it takes to protect your head, the cheap helmets will use this as a maximum requirement and will probably use cheap fiberglass as well and the helmet will end up weighing in at about 4 to 5 punds . High=end helmets will use 7 to 10 layers of composites between good fiberglass, Kevlar & Carbon fiber which will not only be stronger but lighter, weighing in at about 2.8 to 3.5 pounds.

1 pound to 1 1/2 pounds may seem insignificant to you now but after 25min to 1 hour, it could mean the difference between wanting to get home so bad you can't see clearly from stiff neck syndrome or having the time of your life getting there. Again weighing in the difference while you're at the dealer does not mean you can say you felt no differences.

If you have worn both Cheap and High-end helmets and you'll still consider the Scorpion top helmet, I stand corrected and more power to you.

I sell both and possibly have a higher margin on the lower end helmets as I don't have to discounted so deep to be able to move them so I really don't care one way or the other and I am not being Bias towards the high-end ones.

post #30 of 52 Old 04-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

RC90

First and foremost I never said that I thought the Scorpion was the greatest helmet that was ever made. What I did say was that the Scorpion was clearly better(in my opinion) than the HJC that the original poster was using. As far as protecting my head as well as a high end helmet I have read the study by Motorcyclist and my scorpion did just as well as the Arai's and Shoe's. For that matter the cheapest helmet in the test did the best out of all of them. I admit that it probably wasn't the most comfortable but it did protect the best. I also admit that I was not the scientist doing the testing but it appeared to have been conducted in a true scientific manner.

post #31 of 52 Old 04-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Optio

I'm in need of a new helmet and wouldn't be opposed to picking up a good used one to save some money.

Living in good old rural America I haven't had much luck trying any of the better helmets on. Within a two hour drive of me in any direction I haven't been able to find a dealer that carries Arai or Shoei, majority of them are HJC and Fulmars and such, or if they do have a better lid, they're motocross helmets.

I know trying them on is the best deal and is what I need to do, but I really don't have that option unless I want to drive four hours to the Cities.

I've got a Fulmar Large, fits decent, but my chin is damn near touching. An Artic Cat Sled Helmet (large) that fits great. And I've had an HJC in a large before that fit pretty well. So for the most part I'm thinking I need a large.

I was thinking about an RF-1000, but have read a few reports that they're prone to fogging? I'd love an X-11, but price is a little too steep.

What about Arai? I've got a narrower head, strong jaw line with a decent chin. Any recommendations? I'd like something that's about as quiet that can be expected. My fulmer that I use now seems to be even louder than going without a helmet and I get the worst draft up in it that is like a fan blowing in my right eye. I've read that Suomy's tend to run a little small, so without being able to try them either, I'm not too sure.

Thoughts would be appreciated, thanks...

post #32 of 52 Old 04-30-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg74 View Post
I'm in need of a new helmet and wouldn't be opposed to picking up a good used one to save some money.
Don't buy a used helmet!

Quote:
Living in good old rural America I haven't had much luck trying any of the better helmets on. Within a two hour drive of me in any direction I haven't been able to find a dealer that carries Arai or Shoei, majority of them are HJC and Fulmars and such, or if they do have a better lid, they're motocross helmets.

I know trying them on is the best deal and is what I need to do, but I really don't have that option unless I want to drive four hours to the Cities.
I would drive to the Cities. You will never regret driving a few hours one day everytime you ride your motorcycle with a helmet you like. I am suprised Sioux Falls doesn't have any Shoei or Arai helmets.

post #33 of 52 Old 04-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Optio

Mid-America Moto Plex is about the only real dealer in Sioux Falls and when I was down there a month ago, I didn't see anything decent.

You couldn't pay me enough to buy anything from them either, but I wanted to try a few on.

post #34 of 52 Old 05-01-2007, 01:37 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
What about Arai? I've got a narrower head, strong jaw line with a decent chin. Any recommendations? I'd like something that's about as quiet that can be expected.
Thoughts would be appreciated, thanks...
You'll love an Arai Astral. It has a oblong shaped shell vs the round or oval RX7/Corsair shell.

post #35 of 52 Old 05-04-2007, 08:52 AM
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 5

i just got a new lid a Shoei RF-1000 replacing a HJC don't know the model but the Shoei feels great worth spending money on a good lid. I'm a convert no more cheap helmets.

post #36 of 52 Old 05-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlux21 View Post
i just got a new lid a Shoei RF-1000 replacing a HJC don't know the model but the Shoei feels great worth spending money on a good lid. I'm a convert no more cheap helmets.
I've got an RF-1000 as well, I use it as a second helmet. Very nice helmet actually.

post #37 of 52 Old 05-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

I wore a Shoei Rf 800 for 11 years (I know! No comments please.) and replaced it recently with an RF 1000. Both were (are) the quietist helmets I've ever worn and fit like they were molded around my head. My wife wears an Arai and loves it. It turns out we have different head shapes: mine is more round and when I tried an Arai on, there was a gap between the front of my head and the inner liner of about a half inch or more even when the sides of my head were being heavily squeezed. She, on the other hand, tried on a Shoei and had so much play side to side the helmet could be rotated to the side far enough to hit her neck. Not good.

The point is unless the helmet fit perfectly (or close to it) and is comfortable, it is useless and may even cause greater injury in a crash.

Rob

post #38 of 52 Old 05-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I bought my helmet 4 years ago, and it's a 2001 model. I have no worries that it'll fail in a crash. Not sure what the point of swapping out a helmet every other year is. As stated before, Shoei X-series

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #39 of 52 Old 05-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

My shoei RF-1K fits snug as custom. OR's have cast cutting tools to "take them off" during emergencies... I never want to find out... My only gripe is their stock foggy screen...

post #40 of 52 Old 05-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Rob - that's been my experience too. Shoei fits me perfect (round head I guess) but Aria helmets seem to be for a more oval head. Scorpions fit me great too.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode