Leather Perforated Jackets for Tall guys??? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 61 Old 07-03-2009, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Leather Perforated Jackets for Tall guys???

The only company I've found that seems reputable and makes a tall size is Joe Rocket. I would prefer an Aplinestars leather jacket, but they don't seem to make a tall size. I've looked at RevIT and Technic as well.

I have ridiculously long arms, around the 35-36 range, and I'm only a large size (chest probably 40-42). Does anyone have any suggestions, or have gorilla arms like myself?

I also wonder if anyone has general knowledge about the 'real size' of jackets from particular companies. ie. Does Alpinestars sleeves run long, short etc.

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 07-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

post #3 of 61 Old 07-03-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Exactly 6 ft tall

post #4 of 61 Old 07-03-2009, 04:28 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

i am 6'3 230 with relatively long arms and i wear a 48 regular jacket...

there are a couple of guys here taller than me... and a bunch taller than you of varying weights and builds and i think to a man we all wear the regular jackets...

but i am sure someone makes "tall" jackets... but i bet they cost out the butt...

post #5 of 61 Old 07-03-2009, 08:43 PM

I have heard good things about these guys: SYED Leathers

A custom jacket will probably fit way better than anything else.

post #6 of 61 Old 07-04-2009, 07:39 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I just returned a Fieldsheer Air Speed IV jacket, arms were too short. I'm 6'2", 180lbs and wear a 42 Long jacket and a 35" sleeve dress shirt. I usually wear Large jackets, XL's are just too baggy in the body.

I'm going to try one of these next, are supposely cut longer than normal...Leather Jackets

post #7 of 61 Old 07-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Mud Dauber

I am 6'2" 180# and where a 17 neck and 36 sleeve dress shirts. I have a Joe rocket Honda CBR special perforated Leather jacket that fits like a glove. The sleeves go all the to the end of my wrist. I suggest going to a big bike shop and try everything on, then go home and buy it for less on line. It's the only way to shop. Don't trust the size charts that the sites have, they are not always right. Good luck.

"Never give up, Never surrender"
post #8 of 61 Old 07-04-2009, 08:26 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

You sound about my size, I'm 6'1" and 185lbs, and I have the same problem with jackets. The brands that fit me best so far are Spidi and Scorpion. Cortech is close. I'm too skinny for A-stars and Joe Rocket jackets, they seem to be made for the typical barrel chested American, at least the ones I've tried on so far.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #9 of 61 Old 07-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Di"zx"en

Give Vanson a call. The ladies that do the jackets will make them how ever you wish. Once you have one, you'll never waste your money on anything else..Absolutely the best stuff in the business.

post #10 of 61 Old 07-04-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Awesome guys! So I'm not the only one with gorilla arms. haha.

barton: I'm not sure if they are really all that more expensive for a tall size from what I've seen so far. I think it's just difficult to find them period.

motorwerks919: I totally agree that the custom jacket would probably be the best. Thanks for the heads up on SYED!

sbeau1960: Let me know how the jacket fits if you order from the Draggin Jeans site.

cudajim929: You seem to be very close to my size. I wear 36" sleeves in dress shirts as well, and I love the honda joe rocket jacket. I'll definitely find a shop to try one on.

sugs: I'll look at Sidi and Scorpion too. I heard not so good things about the Scorpion brand, but it might have been related to Scorpion exhaust systems (not sure if they are the same company or not). Regardless thanks for the info.

97af: I've never even heard of Vanson before now. That sounds like a decent solution to my problem. Thx!

Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it. Did I ever mention how much I love this site and everyone here?! I'm definitely going to be donating to Wristtwisters.com soon. This forum has helped me from the moment I purchased my 919.

Keep the suggestions coming, and it's back to jacket shopping for me.

post #11 of 61 Old 07-05-2009, 08:06 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

12 ga. shotgun on a everyday leather, should perf it pretty good, i reckon, birdshot

post #12 of 61 Old 07-05-2009, 12:08 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
12 ga. shotgun on a everyday leather, should perf it pretty good, i reckon, birdshot
Yeah, it's tricky to get the right distance dialed in though, too close and you just blow a hole through it, too far away and the pellets only dent the leather.

post #13 of 61 Old 07-05-2009, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

holy crap...this turned violent real quick.

post #14 of 61 Old 07-05-2009, 03:46 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

I'm thinking my 20ga with #8 birdshot at about 50 yards. Would be even more fun if you could launch the jacket into the air, but I suppose for even distribution you'd probably want it stretched out on a fence or something.

Anybody got an old jacket?

post #15 of 61 Old 07-05-2009, 04:44 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Yeah, it's tricky to get the right distance dialed in though, too close and you just blow a hole through it, too far away and the pellets only dent the leather.

its hard to find someone stupid enough to wear it while you perforate the damn thing tho...

post #16 of 61 Old 07-06-2009, 04:19 AM
rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks919 View Post
I have heard good things about these guys: SYED Leathers

A custom jacket will probably fit way better than anything else.
I have a Syed jacket and love it. I am 6'3" with a short torso and long arms. nothing off the rack fits. Go to their website and they provide instructions on your measurements. There are like 17 required for a jacket. mine is perforated leather with a full lenth back protector. lifetime guarantee. it is without a doubt the best jacket i've ever owned.

A good jacket off the rack can cost $400. Mine was about $450. The fit is perfect. color options are infinite. can't say enough good things about the product.

SYED Leathers

post #17 of 61 Old 07-06-2009, 08:10 AM
orange

Awards Showcase

Well the perforated jacket from Draggin Jeans is discontinued, at least for now. Too bad, they said it was cut with very long sleeves and tail. The other non-perforated jackets on their site are still available, not really into the colored stripe look though.

post #18 of 61 Old 07-08-2009, 06:58 AM
orange

Awards Showcase

Ok, just ordered this jacket...Tour Master Coaster Air II Leather Jacket - Street Bike - Men's Riding Gear - Motorcycle Superstore

Also these boots...Diadora Avenue Boots - Street Bike - Men's Riding Gear - Motorcycle Superstore

I don't ever really buy anything, just order stuff and return it.

post #19 of 61 Old 07-08-2009, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

The jacket and boots look great sbeau1960.

I finally ended up just ordering a Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 jacket from Newenough.com. It was by far the best deal online that I could find, that was in a tall size. I tried on a few jackets over the weekend at various places, and nothing covered my monkey arms. I seriously have wings for arms.

Here's the link to their pricing page $260 including shipping.

Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 Perforated Leather Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD

post #20 of 61 Old 07-08-2009, 08:13 AM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbowman View Post

I finally ended up just ordering a Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 jacket from Newenough.com. It was by far the best deal online that I could find, that was in a tall size. I tried on a few jackets over the weekend at various places, and nothing covered my monkey arms. I seriously have wings for arms.

Here's the link to their pricing page $260 including shipping.

Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 Perforated Leather Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD
I seriously considered that same Joe Rocket jacket since it's one of the very few that come in tall sizes. If the Tourmaster doesn't fit that might be what I try next, curious to hear what you think of it.

post #21 of 61 Old 07-08-2009, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I'll give you a full report once I get it. I hope it gets here before Friday, and I also hope the perforated leather will help it breathe.

post #22 of 61 Old 07-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Lovin the Vanilla Ice

You'd be better off with mesh for now. I haven't worn my leather in two months, it'll kill you at the stop lights with the fan blowing on you. My Alpine Stars jacket is a large, and I'm 5'10", seems like it should fit someone slightly taller fine as the sleeves seem a little long on me even riding. With some big gauntlets you should be fine.

Two wheelin for the feelin.
post #23 of 61 Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I'm wearing a mesh jacket right now, and I know on those horribly humid St. Louis days I will wear my mesh. But, if I can handle the heat I would rather be wearing leather. Plus my mesh jacket sucks. It's the motoboss brand from cyclegear and the armor moves around horribly. Hopefully the leather will stay put with the Joe Rocket.

post #24 of 61 Old 07-09-2009, 02:59 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:

I finally ended up just ordering a Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 jacket

I have this jacket and it has great ventilation. I'm actually cold in it on 65-70F summer mornings (with liner removed). The only minor thing I don't like about this jacket is it's square shape, I adjusted sides to the max in order to decrease belly area but it's still a little big in the belly. Not a big deal

post #25 of 61 Old 07-09-2009, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

thanks zaq123...good to know. You could just put on more weight right?!

post #26 of 61 Old 07-10-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Guys I received the jacket tonight. Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 Jacket.

It fits really well, and the sleeves are perfect. A little long with my arms down, and perfect length when in a riding position (for 36" sleeve length guys anyway). Also, I'm about a 33-34 in the waist, and I feel the torso area is just about perfect for me. I haven't taken it for a ride yet, but I'll let you know how hot it is.

sbeau1960: Not sure if you are happy with the Tourmaster you ordered, but if not I think you'll really like the sonic 2.0. It looks good on, but is really comfortable as well. I was really happy with Newenough.com too.

post #27 of 61 Old 07-13-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

the search continues. I'm sending it back for a size smaller. When sitting on the bike, it bunches up a lot and looks like I'm sportin' a pot belly.

zaq123: you were right! You told me.

I'm about to take Barton's suggestion, and just get a regular size. Do any of you know of an AlpineStars Jacket that has a 36" sleeve?

post #28 of 61 Old 07-13-2009, 06:23 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
I'm about to take Barton's suggestion, and just get a regular size. Do any of you know of an AlpineStars Jacket that has a 36" sleeve?
i solved the slightly short sleeve problem by getting some gauntlet gloves....

post #29 of 61 Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
the search continues. I'm sending it back for a size smaller. When sitting on the bike, it bunches up a lot and looks like I'm sportin' a pot belly.

zaq123: you were right! You told me.

The Tourmaster perf jacket I ordered hasn't arrived yet, think it's due in Wednesday but I'll be in Florida until Friday so my report will have to wait until the weekend.

post #30 of 61 Old 07-14-2009, 06:10 AM
Lovin the Vanilla Ice

Since you're local you can try my Alpinestars Stage to see how it fits before you order online. I'm 5'10, 32-34 as well and I like it on me.

Two wheelin for the feelin.
post #31 of 61 Old 07-17-2009, 01:07 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Ok, just got back from Florida, my Tourmaster jacket was waiting for me. Guess what? IT FITS PERFECTLY!!!

Sleeves are just right, body is cut slim, has adjustable waist straps, lightweight yet heavy duty perforated leather in a very attractive flat black finish. Hard armor in elbows and shoulders that's in exactly the right place and isn't even noticeable, foam back pad. Two outside zipper hand pockets, two zippered chest pocket/air vents, two inside zippered pockets. Full 360 zipper attachment and 8" zipper attachment to hook to pants. Very cool looking jacket, discreet "Tourmaster" logos embossed on arms and tail, but just in black, not like some of the other brands more prominent logos. The only thing I'll say is that it doesn't come with the zip in liner, that's an option, but I'll never use it anyway so that doesn't matter to me. It feels great right out of the box, I'm sure as I wear it and it breaks in it will become my favorite jacket. Just FYI, I ordered a 44/Large, I'm 6'2", 180lbs, 34" waist, 42" chest, 35" arms. This jacket fits like it was made to order.

Couldn't be happier and the price was excellent! Tour Master Coaster Air II Leather Jacket - Street Bike - Men's Riding Gear - Motorcycle Superstore

I think the Diadora boots will work also, feel a bit snug in the toe but I'll wear them around the house for a bit and see if they loosen up. Don't want them too loose to start with, I think they'll break in and be fine. Very lightweight, flexible, waterproof and nice looking. Diadora Avenue Boots - Street Bike - Men's Riding Gear - Motorcycle Superstore

post #32 of 61 Old 07-17-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

sbeau1960: Good to hear man! I might try this as my next option, if the Med. Tall doesn't work in the Joe Rocket. I had Newenough refund my first jacket in a gift certificate form, so that I get an extra 10% to compensate for my shipping costs. That being said, I need to order from them again.

one question: Do you think the sleeves are perfect in length while riding, or are they slightly long? I hope they are long for you...then it should be perfect for me. haha.

post #33 of 61 Old 07-17-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Guys, I just noticed that New Enough has a forum donation thing going. Is there a reason Wristtwisters is not listed???

This is from their website:

Quote:
We Support the Motorcycling Community!

New Enough supports motorcycling through donations to many online user groups and other organizations. We invite you to choose a favorite user group to receive $1 as a result of your purchase at New Enough. We're happy to cover the cost of the donation—your order total doesn't change!

post #34 of 61 Old 07-17-2009, 03:36 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
sbeau1960: Good to hear man! I might try this as my next option, if the Med. Tall doesn't work in the Joe Rocket. I had Newenough refund my first jacket in a gift certificate form, so that I get an extra 10% to compensate for my shipping costs. That being said, I need to order from them again.

one question: Do you think the sleeves are perfect in length while riding, or are they slightly long? I hope they are long for you...then it should be perfect for me. haha.
The sleeves are a bit long with my arms relaxed and just right when I'm in riding position, perfect for me. The chest and waist also aren't too big like some other larges I've tried, it's a very slim fit from top to bottom, but still not tight when I cross my arms in front due to pleats behind the shoulders.

Wrung out from traveling and drinking beer so I can't go test it out, but might go sit on a bike in the garage wearing it just for fun.

post #35 of 61 Old 07-17-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:

Wrung out from traveling and drinking beer so I can't go test it out, but might go sit on a bike in the garage wearing it just for fun.
respect... That's a dedicated rider right there.

post #36 of 61 Old 07-17-2009, 05:57 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
or a under dedicated drinker.....

post #37 of 61 Old 07-17-2009, 06:53 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
or a under dedicated drinker.....

Nah, I'm a trained professional! Just hit it hard last night at a concert in Pensacola, flew with a hangover which is always a joy, had a few dark beers when I got home to take the edge off and am smart enough to realize when it's a really bad idea to ride.

But my jacket looks badass with the blacked out 919!

post #38 of 61 Old 07-17-2009, 06:57 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Nah, I'm a trained professional! Just hit it hard last night at a concert in Pensacola, flew with a hangover which is always a joy, had a few dark beers when I got home to take the edge off and am smart enough to realize when it's a really bad idea to ride.

But my jacket looks badass with the blacked out 919!
nice.... i am having a couple of issues with the vfr...

gonna have a long heart to heart with the dealership tomorrow....

post #39 of 61 Old 07-17-2009, 06:59 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
nice.... i am having a couple of issues with the vfr...

gonna have a long heart to heart with the dealership tomorrow....
Saw that, wonder what's going on? Good luck!

post #40 of 61 Old 09-18-2009, 01:44 PM
lamer

So I bought a Joe Rocket Blaster 3.0 Leather Jacket from newenough.com. I'm 6'3, 200lbs, 40 chest, 32 waist, and 36 sleeve. I ordered a 48 to make sure I had enough length in the arms and torso. I've tried it on, but since this is my first jacket I'm not sure if it actually fits correctly. The arms are almost perfect, and I can adjust the waist. The chest seems to fit well enough in the front, but all the slack makes it look really baggy up on my back, and if I leave the back pad in it makes me look like a hunchback. I'm also not sure just how long/short the torso should. Does anybody have any tips on fitting a jacket?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode