Leather Pants vs. Textile - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 44 Old 04-04-2007, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Leather Pants vs. Textile

This question is for daily and extended daily driving... not track! What kind of pants are we wearing? Leather pants? The new textile pants? Brand names and styles... Are they comfortable? Would you buy them again? Pros and Cons...

I always wear a good leather jacket, full-face helmet, gloves, and boots... but I am guilty of only wearing jeans which is basically like not wearing any pants at all.

Let me learn from your experience(s)... thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 04-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Fieldsheer Adventure Pants
http://www.fieldsheer.com/2007web/we...enturepant.htm

Yes, I would buy them again especially after the way they handled an issue with the initial run on these pants. There was a zipper problem, they not only solved the problem quickly but handled one of my customer's issues and replaced his pants with the redesigned pants.

post #3 of 44 Old 04-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
I have a pair of MotoGP textile pants with a nice toasty liner. So far they've worked well in winter and spring weather, still waiting for the summer test.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"

post #4 of 44 Old 04-04-2007, 04:45 PM
roktbox

Bohn Armor Adventure Pants underneath your jeans. No one even notices you're wearing anything other than denim, you can wear them under heavier textile when necessary, they're cool in hot weather and I wear them under MX pants. For anything other than around town I wear full leather. http://www.actionstation.com/

Little thread jack, but on the same topic. Please consider wearing a decent backprotector as well and prevent this. Local guy got clipped and pushed up on the hood of a car at a fairly low speed, but his jacket pulled up above his jeans and the windshield wiper sliced him to the bone. That'll make a nice story for the grandkids some day.

post #5 of 44 Old 04-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Fieldsheer Leather Tracker pants here - love 'em. Great quality, heavy leather, knee pucks can be added if wanted, great stitching, hip and knee protection, full circumference zipper, and nice price.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #6 of 44 Old 04-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Nasty cut...

-Joe
post #7 of 44 Old 04-04-2007, 05:24 PM

**** man !

post #8 of 44 Old 04-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Enormous member

A set of Teknics textiles that I've had for several years, and a Fieldsheer mesh for the street. Sidi boots, gloves, lid. Getting time to replace the pants, though.

post #9 of 44 Old 04-04-2007, 05:47 PM

I just bought some Alpinestars ACR Air-Flo pants but haven't had a chance to use them yet. They have excellent quality and look sweet(that is all I can critique right now). Air-Flo pants

post #10 of 44 Old 04-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Im definitely going to get me a pair of these bohn under armor stuff cause ill admit i usually just go out with jeans my leather jacket and leather gloves and boots if im lucky. It all depends on how much of a hurry im in. But i am trying to change that and i think this armor will be a step in the right direction.

-Pat McG
post #11 of 44 Old 04-04-2007, 06:41 PM

Do these Bohn pants have any abrasion resistence?

post #12 of 44 Old 04-04-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks919 View Post
Do these Bohn pants have any abrasion resistence?
Not really. They are stretch Lycra mesh pants with Bohn's soft armor in the hips, knees, etc. If you put Bohn armor underneath kevlar lined jeans, that might add up to something worthwhile.

I always wear full helmet, armored gloves and boots, and armored leathers, including a back protector. I've tried a textile jacket, but I didn't have any confidence that the armor would stay in place during a crash, and I don't think I ever want to experience melted plastic fusing with my skin as I slide down the road.

post #13 of 44 Old 04-04-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb919 View Post
and I don't think I ever want to experience melted plastic fusing with my skin as I slide down the road.
As far as I am concerned this is 100% complete myth. I have never heard of this happening and no one has ever produced a single story or any proof of such an occurence despite me asking. Your comment about the armor moving is entirely valid and I agree but I still regard textile gear as great protection. Every story I have ever heard involving textile gear ended up with the wearer saying it protected them great and they came through with no/minor injuries.

post #14 of 44 Old 04-05-2007, 12:55 AM
necked 919

On warm weekend all day rides I'll wear Carhartt denim jeans with the Bohn mesh under-armor pants and in the winter I'll wear Bohn lycra under-armor pants with Carhartt double front denim jeans with FirstGear overpants...
I like the overpants as they have a zip out liner and full zippers down the side of each leg.

Man is that one ugly gash... heal up quick

Rj - WQEU774
Team Drumstick
Hondas: 919Hornet - 750NightHawk - CR250R - TRX400EX - TRX250EX wife's quad
Bultaco Metisse 250 project
BMW K1200GT

post #15 of 44 Old 04-05-2007, 06:30 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05919er View Post
I always wear a good leather jacket, full-face helmet, gloves, and boots... but I am guilty of only wearing jeans which is basically like not wearing any pants at all.
Same here. I do feel guilty about it as well.

Two different street jackets I wear, both high quality.
Strong high quality boots and Shoei lid, gloves all that.
But when commuting I just wear jeans.
Oh how I may come to regret that someday!

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #16 of 44 Old 04-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Custom Veloce leather pants. That is; if I can get WIM to make them for me!

post #17 of 44 Old 04-05-2007, 06:51 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

I suggest a new category called "the meatgrinder" for crash photos.

post #18 of 44 Old 04-05-2007, 06:54 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Custom Veloce leather pants. That is; if I can get WIM to make them for me!

An if you have some Great-grandkids who will still be around to take delivery of them,

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #19 of 44 Old 04-05-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcent View Post
But when commuting I just wear jeans.
Oh how I may come to regret that someday!
You might want to read this: http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/88.html

post #20 of 44 Old 04-05-2007, 07:31 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

Rub it in why don't you!

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #21 of 44 Old 04-05-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcent View Post
Rub it in why don't you!
It's just meant to be a gentle nudge in the right direction.

post #22 of 44 Old 04-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Dang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
Fieldsheer Adventure Pants
http://www.fieldsheer.com/2007web/we...enturepant.htm

Yes, I would buy them again especially after the way they handled an issue with the initial run on these pants. There was a zipper problem, they not only solved the problem quickly but handled one of my customer's issues and replaced his pants with the redesigned pants.
I like these. I have a field sheer jacket and have been pondering getting these.. Are they too hot though? Im guessing no since your in sunny FLA and wearing them...

post #23 of 44 Old 04-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase

I with they made suits and jakets and pants etc leather or textile that didnt look like your coming fresh off the race track. I hate that they all have the pads like outlined in the back and are blinged out with a thousand shapes and colors. i also would like a nice pair of bike pants that dont have the croth distincly outlined with piping and have a big pad thats rather phallic looking for your tail bone. IS THAT TO MUCH TO ASK?

-Pat McG
post #24 of 44 Old 04-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Rock out with your cock out. Ride naked like me! Just don't do it at night when the bugs swarm towards your light

2 > 4
post #25 of 44 Old 04-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaStreetfigh View Post
Rock out with your cock out. Ride naked like me! Just don't do it at night when the bugs swarm towards your light
Yeah that is a considerable option that i have debated on several occasions although i feel as if wind burned genitals would hurt something fierce and i can only imagine my nards getting mashed into the tank at a hard stop without any padding GOD FORBID

-Pat McG
post #26 of 44 Old 04-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Moved to Leather, textile, and mesh because I thought you might get more answers from everyone reading instead of just the hive. I can recommend the Fieldsheer adventure pants, as I wear them whenever a trip takes me farther than 100 miles or so. Another ADV rider here hasn't had such a good experience with them, and I believe he switched to the MotoGP brand of textile pants. If you like the Fieldsheer gear, contact Jetblast, as he has some killer deals on their gear.

post #27 of 44 Old 05-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Zed's dead baby...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I've been down pretty hard in a textile jacket and pants (it was actually harley FXRG gear). I high sided my buell S-3 in an off ramp at a pretty good clip, and slid for some distance down the ramp and into the ditch(concrete storm channel) the jacket looked great, the bike and my helmet were trashed. No melted plastic, my dad still wears the jacket.

PCIII (Sato map by Kyle Racing); Sato Ti (second gen); Flapper disconnected; K&N (is that an accessory?); Self Made custom center stand; AFAM 17 tooth front sprocket; Galfer rear wave rotor, pads, and stainless line.
post #28 of 44 Old 05-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Milites Gregarius

I don't ride at a track, most of my riding is commuting to work with a few fun rides mixed in. Unfortunately the higher protection leather is not practical for this riding style (in my opinion). I go with a Fieldsheer Nevada jacket and Fieldsheer Booster pants. I only seem to wear the pants when it gets cold or when I go for a longer ride. I would highly recommend both of the Fieldsheer garments mentioned above. The pants are great in that they fit right over regular pants and are very easy to get on and off.

I am one that has spent the most on my helmet - I just feel it's that more important to have the best quality you can afford protecting my head. I'm told that some day I'll have a nice pair of gloves too.

post #29 of 44 Old 06-06-2007, 04:20 PM
madvillainy

Yeah that's a pretty good link, thanks. The one thing i'm lacking right now
turns out to be damn near the most important!!!--some leg protection. I too
am guilty of being geared up everywhere else but riding in denim. Got a
decent lid, leather jacket and armored mesh jacket, armored gloves, good
boots and friggin' jeans on!! . Oh well, Father's day is almost here
so guess what i'll be requesting...you got it, the dominator dual headlight!!!
Just jokin'. I'm gonna get me some pants!! Need to see some more opines
tho'. Bohn under armor, armored mesh over pants or what? Can't afford
leather right now but need something yesterday.

post #30 of 44 Old 06-08-2007, 09:15 AM

I've been wearing FS Four Season textile pants (partial mesh) and love them. Fairly cool w/o the liner in it. The color is a neutral, light silver (not white as they appear in photos), though they also sell it in black. I paid about $170 for them.

post #31 of 44 Old 01-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Tirone

I have a textile Alpinestar Air-Flow jacket and it is sure nice on hot days. The liner is good on cooler days but spring and fall requires some sort of extra insulation.
My question is and I should have thought of this before I bought the jacket is how well does that mesh hold up in a crash. I mean you can see through it so does it just shred to nothing or what?
Also I was under the impression that these textile jackets were made out of some sort of material not really plastic but a tougher type of "plastic-ish" stuff.
I really want leather stuff but it is too much $$$$. I don't know what it is like in the states but up here a leather jacket will be 3 times more expensive than a textile.

If God had wanted us to be vegetarians why did he make animals out of meat?
post #32 of 44 Old 01-18-2008, 12:33 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassto View Post
I have a textile Alpinestar Air-Flow jacket and it is sure nice on hot days. The liner is good on cooler days but spring and fall requires some sort of extra insulation.
My question is and I should have thought of this before I bought the jacket is how well does that mesh hold up in a crash. I mean you can see through it so does it just shred to nothing or what?
Also I was under the impression that these textile jackets were made out of some sort of material not really plastic but a tougher type of "plastic-ish" stuff.
I really want leather stuff but it is too much $$$$. I don't know what it is like in the states but up here a leather jacket will be 3 times more expensive than a textile.
Hello Jassto eh.

Well, textile technology has not yet been able to replicate the abrasion resistance ability of leather in textile garments. And whether it is gor-tex, or any other exotic sounding material - it is still textile. They have some nice coating these days. Not to say that it will shred any worse than a perforated leather garment, it just has a higher chance it will. For now, leather is still the safer choice in apparel protection. Also, be careful to stay away from "Nylon" type textiles, they build up quite a bit of heat from friction enough to burn the skin - even liners can do that too - if they are made of nylon.

As far as cost, I do know what you mean about buying in Canada. But... there are so many choices these days, I would say shop around. Ebay maybe? Or.... be nice to someone named RC90 on this site, and he might be able to help ya.

Also, you might want to see if a US member / friend can help send you the item you want, etc.

post #33 of 44 Old 06-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Discen

Yes, I'm reviving a really old thread..

But I finally got some riding pants ordered instead of just wearing jeans and thought I'd spread the word about the pretty decent price I found for the Fieldsheer Adventure pants:

FieldSheer Adventure Pants - Closeout Price: $99.99

I'm looking forward to breaking them in.

2006 Honda 919
post #34 of 44 Old 06-15-2009, 04:22 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Whoa! Those are nice. Now i see why so popular.

post #35 of 44 Old 06-15-2009, 04:24 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

post #36 of 44 Old 06-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Optio

Garage
I've been looking for some riding pants. I would like leather riding pants but have a problem finding pants that come in short inseam sizes. Does anyone know if anyone makes any?

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #37 of 44 Old 06-15-2009, 07:40 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

When's the last time you saw a rock star wearing textile pants?

post #38 of 44 Old 06-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
When's the last time you saw a rock star wearing textile pants?
i saw mick jaggers 104 year old saggy ass in a pair of leather pants.... looked like a family of imigrants had moved out the butt of them.... kinda like someone had put them on a bony little hanger...

i just realized how much i don't like the rolling stones....

post #39 of 44 Old 06-15-2009, 07:47 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Mick's in great shape for a 104 year old!

post #40 of 44 Old 06-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Mick's in great shape for a 104 year old!
yeah... well who knew that keith richards would be the healthy looking one at this age...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode